Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th May 2018, 11:13   #4066
BHPian

Re: Tata Hexa : Official Review

Though i shared it in my ownership thread, would like to share this analysis here as well in hopes of reaching out to more folks. Since I've only considered one car as opposed to two for a SWOT, few elements may repeat under multiple titles.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Hexa : Official Review-1.jpg  

abhi7013 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th May 2018, 13:56   #4067
Senior - BHPian

I tried to locate "Issues & Niggles" thread on TBHP for TATA Hexa and could not find one. Is there is no such thread here or I was not able to get that. Anyway, I landed on the below article from FE

https://www.financialexpress.com/aut...e-hexa/722112/

Quote:
however, I've always wanted to see if the Hexa ages better than earlier Tata vehicles. This, because some earlier Tata vehicles didn't enjoy the reputation of ageing well and as they got older, the build quality became increasingly questionable.
Quote:
Throughout the journey, I was impressed with the fact that a media test vehicle with more than 22,000 kms on the odo did not rattle or squeak over sections that showed as roads in Agra but felt more like exploring lunar surface. This was proof that Tata Motors has taken a big stride in terms of quality control on the assembly line. I still remember Safaris from the mid-2000s being plagued with a rattling tailgate but the Hexa, on the other hand, feels like a global product.
Quote:
I remember myself skeptically listening to Tata officials at the first media drive about how the Hexa has been developed by a network of global suppliers and hence is better in quality. That skepticism though totally disappeared after the four days I spent with this Hexa. It had gone through the hands of multiple journalists, each of whom pushed it to the limit in terms of acceleration, handling, braking and many other parameters. These 22,000 + km in my opinion were equivalent to around 70,000 to 80,000 km of wear and tear on a normal single-hand driven vehicle. Despite this, the Hexa never failed to impress on all the conditions I put it through. Not just that, it turned out to be an involving vehicle to drive and I personally feel that if you're someone who enjoys driving the Hexa is presently a good pick in its segment. In addition, we've been able to establish that it also ages better than earlier Tata vehicles and is at par with the competition in almost ever manner
Even if its accounted for 70-80k (thought the odo reads 22k), iam looking at almost double the mileage (150-160k) plus want the vehicle to age well without much of reliability issues. I would have picked a Toyota, if it had a AWD/4WD in Crysta, eyes closed. Majority of the mileage covered would be in highways & compromising on AT for important features like ESP, Traction control is not a big deal. Having said that, with the way people praising the AT box on Hexa, it will be a miss -:(

Interesting videos. Never thought this to be so nimble given the extra weight it carries. Plus there are multiple mentions by people, it won't feel like such lengthy vehicle while on move. My first test drive a year back was a very short drive & didn't gave much of an attention. Its worth to give a detailed evaluation again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TORQUE_AANJANEY View Post
Heart does say Endy but my financials stretch me too much for a car that I may only enjoy till initial joy runs down, after which I may start repenting my impulsive decision.
Same here. But Iam sure there is no way for me, joy of running that beast is gonna go down. Previous generation endy's are known for aging well, hence if at all, I get this beast, it will be solid 7+ yrs. Having said that, with so much of technological advancement, getting stuck with a same vehicle that has sucked sizable investment is also a factor to look at. And there is no car that satisfy the requirements like HEXA/XUV in between (20-40L). As mentioned in other threads, current XUV has done in excess of 160,000 kms & expect the replacement vehicle to age well for so much kms without much issues.
Surprise is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th May 2018, 10:00   #4068
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VKumar View Post
Caution: Long Post, have a Disprin handy!
No pain killers required. Thanks VKumar - that was all superb.

My Personal views: For any product, irrespective of whatever it may be, the looks and the colour - we get used to it and almost forgets about it in the long run. What it matters, in the long run, is the comfort and the feel that we have, while using the product. All of us are different in one way or other and we decide and buy what we want based on our own analysis.
Old 6th May 2018, 13:03   #4069
BHPian

Hi guys! Just joined this exclusive club of enthusiasts. Thanks to this forum I have booked Hexa XTA (tungsten silver) from chandigarh. Delivery is likely on the 9th of May. Waiting anxiously!
Gary_Aviator is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th May 2018, 13:23   #4070
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blorebuddy View Post
Thanks to all of you who responded to my post. I am not looking at Hexa anymore because of 2 more reasons. 1) Getting in to the car is climbing up. It will not be comfortable for my parents with knee problems. Side step is mandatory even then it's climbing up. Not walking in. 2) 3rd row seats. Our TBHP official review captured it well. It's not for me. On a side note, I was pleasantly surprised when Nandi Toyota's feedback team called me to ask about how was my experience at their showroom. Apart from the routine questions and ratings, there were open questions to ensure whether I need another test drive or any other information from them. This is apart from the regular follow up call from the rep.
My two cents on TML's feedback mechanism. They are actually overdoing it. I own 2 Maruti's so I am used to an above average customer experience and frequent feedback calls regarding service and on how the car is performing etc. TMC is in fact doing better, they take feedback a little too seriously and even if I rate any experience factor below 9 there are frequent follow up's. My first service experience on the Hexa has been extremely satisfying in the TC MOTORS workshop. Overall I appreciate the conscious effort that TML is doing to change perceptions.

Last edited by ajmat : 6th May 2018 at 14:36. Reason: typos
Dzire2Travel is offline   (1) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 6th May 2018, 15:56   #4071
BHPian

Lot is being said about the speakers and hope I can help here. I have a Bose solo 5 sound bar for my TV, Jaybird X3 for my running, AKG wired headphones that come with samsung note 8 for my home laptop and a pair of sony h.ear for my office laptop.

Yes, a lot of tweaking is required for the unit in Hexa to get that perfect music. Only while doing this exercise did i find out that I moved into listening to audiobooks, spiritual discourses, speeches and so much away from real hard core music.

But for all kinds of music below are the settings I found to be the best. Try them and the result would be great. Using an aux cable is giving even better quality. The aux I used to test is amazon basics. I stream only on bluetooth. The equalizer is from google music. Jio music also uses the same settings. Apple music for android does not come with an equalizer any more. The downloads and steaming quality is always set to high. So ya, try it out and hope it helps!
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Hexa : Official Review-whatsapp-image-20180506-3.31.42-pm-1.jpeg  

Tata Hexa : Official Review-whatsapp-image-20180506-3.31.42-pm.jpeg  

Tata Hexa : Official Review-20180505_214005.jpg  

Tata Hexa : Official Review-20180505_213945.jpg  

krishnakarthik1 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th May 2018, 20:11   #4072
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VKumar View Post
This is a car with ESP I can bet! Don't ask me how i know what happens in the car without ESP.
This car is an XTA without ESP.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Hexa : Official Review-screen-shot-20180506-7.26.31-pm.png  

Tata Hexa : Official Review-screenshot_20180504150826672_com.google.android.youtube.png  

Tata Hexa : Official Review-screenshot_20180504151632578_com.google.android.youtube.png  

Tata Hexa : Official Review-screenshot_20180504150836862_com.google.android.youtube.png  

damodar is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th May 2018, 20:28   #4073
BHPian

Update:

Did a Chennai-Goa trip and covered 2300km in a week. On the way up drove 780km non stop and 980km on the way back. Overall, car felt awesome. None of the occupants complained of tiredness in spite of spending long hours. Few random observations
  1. Car behaves quite well in plain roads as well as twisty sections if driven within limits.
  2. At no point over the entire ride I felt out of control or even jittery
  3. Cruise control was super useful
  4. Hand rest is still not ideal, but found myself using it at times
  5. Best position was to rest both my hands on the thighs, while cruising. However had to often use the right hand to engage/disengage cruise control :-(
  6. 6th gear is quite useful, found myself trying to up shift thinking i was in 4th
  7. Seats are super comfortable. Again, didn't feel tired at all, after the drive.
  8. 2 gear, before turbo kick in is a real bald spot, especially in hills, one has to learn to drive around that.
tifosikrishna is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 7th May 2018, 09:28   #4074

Update:

Thanks for the inputs. I booked an XT 4x4 and counting on it to be delivered in the next 15 days or so. In the mean time the question on accessories came up and need inputs from this group:

1. Side Step : Seems to be an yes from family side due to the height and elders in family.

2. Alloy Wheels - 16 or 19?

3. Wireless Charger and Hud in the accessories look interesting - Worth it from Company?

4. In the Luxe pack, they are adding a lot of chrome - Anyone in the group who brought the luxe pack, can they share their thoughts.

5. I tried to visualize in tan but haven't seen any vehicle with Tan seats. How does the color combination look in a blue outside and tan inside?

6. Family is tempted for sun roof but I' am not sure as the sun roof in the picture looks small. Any owners with the sunroof?
VenkatMunukutla is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th May 2018, 09:59   #4075
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VenkatMunukutla View Post
Update:

1. Side Step : Seems to be an yes from family side due to the height and elders in family.
Side steps will reduce ground clearance. At the same time they help a lot to elders in family to get in / out. Please check few installations before you pay. Some of the older types were not very strong. Also, there are few good options outside within 10K.

XT comes with 19 inch alloys with MRF tyres. Any reason why you are looking at 16 inchers?

3. Wireless Charger and Hud in the accessories look interesting - Worth it from Company?
A good TPMS should be part of your accessories shopping list. HUD has integrated TPMS, but heard a couple of people facing issues with this. Also, around 15K, it is expensive for what it offers. If interested in internal TPMS, you can check Sensairy

4. In the Luxe pack, they are adding a lot of chrome - Anyone in the group who brought the luxe pack, can they share their thoughts.
Too much of chrome spoils understated look. But, thats my preference only !

5. I tried to visualize in tan but haven't seen any vehicle with Tan seats. How does the color combination look in a blue outside and tan inside?
As far as I know, Tan seat covers are for XM and XE. Is Tata providing seat covers for XT too?

6. Family is tempted for sun roof but I' am not sure as the sun roof in the picture looks small. Any owners with the sunroof?
If you can avoid Sunroof, please do.
My comments inline above.
prasanna_indaje is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th May 2018, 10:25   #4076
BHPian

Quote:
Update:

You get better external TPMS with sensors similar to TATA. The one i have costed around 3.5k and works like a charm. Would suggest you to explore alternatives on alibaba.
Old 7th May 2018, 11:07   #4077
BHPian

Quote:
Update:

Side steps are necessary if you have elders in family. Its because it is a tall vehicle and you to have to climb inside. I am myself looking for a side step as it is very difficult for elders at my home to climb inside Hexa without the side steps. Getting side steps for around 8k in the market.

Quote:
XT comes with factory fitted leather seat covers. I think seat covers would be installed at dealer level. I don't think they will be able to match the fit and finish quality of a factory fitted one. I had a look at the tan seat covers at the dealer as I was interested in tan color but honestly speaking did not like the color one bit. So I got the seat covers installed from the outside at a much lower cost.

Regards
HappyRoadie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th May 2018, 11:35   #4078
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRoadie View Post
Side steps are necessary if you have elders in family. Its because it is a tall vehicle and you to have to climb inside. I am myself looking for a side step as it is very difficult for elders at my home to climb inside Hexa without the side steps. Getting side steps for around 8k in the market.
Side steps are very much necessary if you have members below 5.5 feet height and eldery. otherwise it will be a task for them to get in & out.
I have researched and seen the side steps fitting in the level of cars lower door sil. and i believed, the GC would not be decreased not sure because of the OEM model i saw it in Hexa.
The New side steps are of better build and plastics looks same as the Hexa black body cladding for the cost of 15K. IMO, better to go with it rather outside.
aks_karthik is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 7th May 2018, 11:42   #4079

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasanna_indaje View Post
My comments inline above.
Side steps will reduce ground clearance. At the same time they help a lot to elders in family to get in / out. Please check few installations before you pay. Some of the older types were not very strong. Also, there are few good options outside within 10K.

Good one. I will circle back with the concorde guys.

XT comes with 19 inch alloys with MRF tyres. Any reason why you are looking at 16 inches?

My bad - I saw 19" alloys under Luxe accessories and thought the diamond cut looks good but realized that the pics on the normal one are also same. Not sure if the alloy cut is different in the standard one.

A good TPMS should be part of your accessories shopping list. HUD has integrated TPMS, but heard a couple of people facing issues with this. Also, around 15K, it is expensive for what it offers. If interested in internal TPMS, you can check Sensory

Will look into the same. Thanks

Too much of chrome spoils understated look. But, thats my preference only !

Thank you

As far as I know, Tan seat covers are for XM and XE. Is Tata providing seat covers for XT too?

Its in the Luxe pack, so thought they are. Will check with the team.

If you can avoid Sunroof, please do.

Seems to get an agreement as I was showing the pics and saying that its small.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi7013 View Post
You get better external TPMS with sensors similar to TATA. The one i have costed around 3.5k and works like a charm. Would suggest you to explore alternatives on alibaba.
Thank you. Which one did you buy?

Mod Note: Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!

To know how to multi-quote, click here.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 7th May 2018 at 15:07. Reason: back to back posts merged.
Old 7th May 2018, 13:20   #4080
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you. Which one did you buy?
https://m.aliexpress.com/item/32786936409.html

Costed me 2.8K.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks