Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th July 2018, 11:12   #4246
BHPian

I feel there should be no issues in downsizing to 235/70/ R16. If you see the tyre size conversion charts, overall change in Dia with this downsize is within the normally permissible limits. However, how you the manage the replacements is the question.
nvldvr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2018, 14:02   #4247
BHPian

Re: Tata Hexa : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpyder View Post
Pretty much set my eyes on Hexa XT now. It has been brought out in this thread and other reviews, there is an issue about 19 inch wheels with low profile tyres and the bumpy rides +cost factor (when replacing).

Out of curiosity i began a search for 19 inches replacements. Amazon, Michelin, Yokohama - no website seems to stock this size. Yokohama has max of 18 inches. That means tyre /wheel replacement is not only going to be costly, but also pretty difficult to source. Amazon has some stock costing upwards of 20k a piece!!

My questions now :-
Is it possible/ advisable to downsize (to 16 inches like in xe/xm) at the time of delivery - without voiding the warranty.

As discussed in this thread, are the suspensions actually built to withstand the stress due to low profile and large size tyres?
If you maintain right tyre pressure this is not big deal. TPMS can be used to have right pressure all the time. MRF stock tyre 19" at MRF online site is around 12100 per tyre. We have 6 HEXA in my office all XTA/XT and most of them are driven around 20-30K by now and none of them faced any issues of tyre cuts.
Old 12th July 2018, 14:05   #4248
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Pretty much set my eyes on Hexa XT now. It has been brought out in this thread and other reviews, there is an issue about 19 inch wheels with low profile tyres and the bumpy rides +cost factor (when replacing).

Out of curiosity i began a search for 19 inches replacements. Amazon, Michelin, Yokohama - no website seems to stock this size. Yokohama has max of 18 inches. That means tyre /wheel replacement is not only going to be costly, but also pretty difficult to source. Amazon has some stock costing upwards of 20k a piece!!

Is it possible/ advisable to downsize (to 16 inches like in xe/xm) at the time of delivery - without voiding the warranty.

As discussed in this thread, are the suspensions actually built to withstand the stress due to low profile and large size tyres?
The best option for you might be to exchange your alloy wheels and tyres with someone else buying an XM variant. You could get 40-50K from this exchange and take the 16 Inch tyres from him with steel wheels. Then you would have to buy only the alloy wheels in 16 inch size , which should come within that amount that you get from the exchange.
Old 12th July 2018, 15:44   #4249
BHPian

Quote:

Why worry about something that's going to happen in future and spoil the present. This doesn't even qualify as planning. Don't change something if it's not giving you any trouble. When the time comes your will definately find what you want. Enjoy the 19 inches now!!
Gary_Aviator is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th July 2018, 17:07   #4250

Hexa certainly needs to have a variant between XMA & XTA.
I have messaged Tata motors the following:
A New Variant of Hexa is needed XMA+ with all the features of XTA sans
1. 7 Airbags - Instead of which 2 airbags are provided
2. 19 Inch Alloy wheels - Instead of which 16 Inch Alloy wheels are provided.

I was amazed at the number of variants XUV 500 has, it is not that difficult for Tata to make such changes. The price difference between XMA & XTA currently is ~2.5 Lacs ex-showroom & ~2.87 lacs. Xuv has a variant every 1 lac. Hopefully someone from Tata motors will be looking at this soon.
Sandeepdev is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2018, 23:39   #4251
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
The best option for you might be to exchange your alloy wheels and tyres with someone else buying an XM variant. You could get 40-50K from this exchange and take the 16 Inch tyres from him with steel wheels. Then you would have to buy only the alloy wheels in 16 inch size , which should come within that amount that you get from the exchange.
I wanted to take the same route and infact had exchange offers , but unfortunately ownera manual clearly states that any change in Dia of tyres may impact functioning of some of safety features, so it strongly recommends against it.
tifosikrishna is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2018, 00:09   #4252
BHPian

Quote:
are the suspensions actually built to withstand the stress due to low profile and large size tyres?
The suspensions are tuned to overcome the reduced cushioning that a lower profile Tyre would offer. I am sure the suspensions of the 16" variant and the 19" variant come in different states of tune to compliment the advantages/disadvantages of the tire size.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
This, in my opinion is a good option. But it is always better to try and gauge from your friendly sales advisor what Tata would feel about honouring warranty issues with a different sized tyre when it comes to issues with suspension or other related equipment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tifosikrishna View Post
I wanted to take the same route and infact had exchange offers , but unfortunately ownera manual clearly states that any change in Dia of tyres may impact functioning of some of safety features, so it strongly recommends against it.
The overall difference in diameter and rolling circumference between the 2 sizes is negligible and shouldn't theoretically affect the ABS or EBD system. However, how Tata would see a warranty claim related to this, cannot be judged and depends on the dealer.
Old 13th July 2018, 08:16   #4253
BANNED

Quote:
That means tyre /wheel replacement is not only going to be costly, but also pretty difficult to source. Amazon has some stock costing upwards of 20k a piece!!
Your research is flawed. India is not a hot market for online tire purchases for a variety of reasons. While the Hexa tires are unique in their size, they are very easy to procure and currently cost around 17k depending on the brand, however, just like 17" were premium tires a few years ago but are now common, these too will go down the same path by the time you need a replacement.

Downsizing will spoil the looks of the vehicle AND impact its handling too. The Hexa anyway rides brilliantly on stock tires.
n.devdath is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th July 2018, 09:38   #4254
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
While the Hexa tires are unique in their size, they are very easy to procure and currently cost around 17k depending on the brand, however, just like 17" were premium tires a few years ago but are now common, these too will go down the same path by the time you need a replacement.

Downsizing will spoil the looks of the vehicle AND impact its handling too. The Hexa anyway rides brilliantly on stock tires.
I had checked on the availability of this tyre size in a good tyre shop in Delhi around 5 months back. At that point in time, other than MRFs, only Pirellis were available for around 23K.
Hopefully more choices are available in brick and mortar shops now, as you have brought out. But if I
am not wrong, even the websites of Bridgestone / Michelin / Yoko etc so not mention tyres of this size.
Old 13th July 2018, 09:49   #4255
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCORPION View Post
The suspensions are tuned to overcome the reduced cushioning that a lower profile Tyre would offer. I am sure the suspensions of the 16" variant and the 19" variant come in different states of tune to compliment the advantages/disadvantages of the tire size.
This can be true only if there are two part numbers for the suspension components. Probably a quick check with TASS will clear this. If the XTA suspension components(Struts, lower arm, tie rod, link rod, stabilizer bar) are same as XMA then there is no reason why a downsize from 19 inch to 16 inch rim is not possible.
Old 13th July 2018, 10:27   #4256
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
This can be true only if there are two part numbers for the suspension components. Probably a quick check with TASS will clear this. If the XTA suspension components(Struts, lower arm, tie rod, link rod, stabilizer bar) are same as XMA then there is no reason why a downsize from 19 inch to 16 inch rim is not possible.
Tyres with almost the same diameter, but shod on rims that have a size difference of 3 inches. The difference in wheel size offset by side wall height of say 1.5 inches.
If they come with the same suspension settings, I would presume there would be a vast difference in handling and ride quality, between the lower and upper variants.
Old 13th July 2018, 11:13   #4257
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Tyres with almost the same diameter, but shod on rims that have a size difference of 3 inches. The difference in wheel size offset by side wall height of say 1.5 inches.
If they come with the same suspension settings, I would presume there would be a vast difference in handling and ride quality, between the lower and upper variants.
Agreed. Hence the suggestion to check for the part numbers to confirm if our hypothesis is indeed valid.

I Just checked the ori parts boodmo for the suspension components.

The front spring has 4 different types in 4x2 variant itself! Maybe for different wheel sizes!
Shims are different varieties

http://oriparts.com/3/336/1869/551180

http://oriparts.com/3/336/1869/551179

http://oriparts.com/3/336/1869/551179

Last edited by sagarpadaki : 13th July 2018 at 11:18.
sagarpadaki is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2018, 11:37   #4258
BHPian

Quote:

Now, one issue. He has done about 500 KMS so far. He says his cabin lights go on/off and the door locks/unlocks every time he takes a bump or hits a pothole at speed. Looks like a faulty or loose door lock sensor somewhere. Told him to take it to TAFE (the dealer here) when he finds time.

Has anyone else here faced the same issue?
I had this issue as well, the bonnet spacers/stoppers have a little play, this causes the bonnet to jump a little everytime the car hits a bump and consequently the car thinks that the bonnet is lock is open and tries to lock again. Engaging all the locks.

This issue is solved by adjusting the stoppers for the bonnet so that the bonnet does not move when the car hits a bump. This is a known bug and easy fix which the service center knows.

Better explanation exists on one of the ownership threads, pls search.

Hope this helps.
Relax&Cruise is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2018, 20:10   #4259
BHPian

Thanks so much guys. I guess honouring the warranty depends on the dealer is what it is. Because if the owner's manual tells you not to change it, then technically tata can refuse warranty, whether I upsize or downsize. So yeah! I'll stick with stock 19s. Until warranty expires and hope nothing goes wrong with tyres /wheels.

Is there anyway to find out what features /accessories are included in various variants? Sure there's the brochure but it didn't list everything. Just one example, the review here says spare wheel is alloy, the dealer here said that would be steel.

Anyone knows if there is a comprehensive official list of these things available anywhere?
Old 14th July 2018, 20:29   #4260
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks so much guys. I guess honouring the warranty depends on the dealer is what it is. Because if the owner's manual tells you not to change it, then technically tata can refuse warranty, whether I upsize or downsize. So yeah! I'll stick with stock 19s. Until warranty expires and hope nothing goes wrong with tyres /wheels.

Is there anyway to find out what features /accessories are included in various variants? Sure there's the brochure but it didn't list everything. Just one example, the review here says spare wheel is alloy, the dealer here said that would be steel.

Anyone knows if there is a comprehensive official list of these things available anywhere?
Initial batch of XTA & XT came with 19" alloys and it was subsequently changed to 16" steel rims, if I recall right, when the price revision along with price cut happened post GST implementation.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks