Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Old 12th September 2018, 11:45   #4351
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Tata Hexa : Official Review

What is this whole fuss about XTA variant?

I am thinking of exchanging my Scross with XTA for the sheer convenience factor of autobox and all advantages of Hexa over other competitor products, discussed in this thread. I have used one Tata product for 70k KMs and I have had very good experience, if not excellent.

Please let me know if I should hold on to my thoughts.

I do not like Mahindra vehicles (personal opinion) and Innova is crazy expensive.
ajay_satpute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2018, 12:18   #4352

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
============
I do not like Mahindra vehicles (personal opinion) and Innova is crazy expensive.
I compared, compared and compared and held off for a year before purchasing Hexa XTA. I won't talk about how and why Hexa is a better PRODUCT compared to competition when it comes to automatic gearbox (I make decisions purely on product basis, not brand) at the price point of ~21L. I can talk about variants, which kept confusing me until the time I finalized XTA.

IMHO, XMA offers tremendous value for money if most of your driving is going to be in the city. But XTA offers certain features, which at a price differential of 3L are probably worth it (6 airbags, reverse camera, 19 inch alloy, 10 speakers JBL audio, leather upholstery, mood lights, and few other cosmetic enhancements). I didn't want to compromise on safety and also didn't want to get any after market accessories so chose XTA as I could just the car as-is. In fact, I had booked an XMA and a day later told the dealership that I had changed my mind and would go for XTA.

XT offers the best in class safety features (ESP, hill assist, traction control, etc. in addition to what XTA has) so if you mostly will drive on highway and do offroading, it is a no brainer that you go for XT. But the flip side is that even if 50% of your drive will be in city, your left leg and arm will start to suffer with crawling bumper to bumper traffic. And the comfort and convenience are lost for me personally. I know people who bought XT and they are very happy with it, but personally I prefer the comfort and convenience as I will be driving in city quite a bit. Also, based on my test drive experience, when it came to manual, Hexa was as good as competition (crysta or xuv) but when it came to automatic, Hexa was far better.

So it was a tough call to shell out 3L more and select a brand that is not a leader in ASS but XTA as a product won. I am yet to experience Tata ASS and haven't explored Hexa much so far so will hold off my thorough feedback on both. I plan to do few road trips in Sep and Oct. But I thought of sharing my reasons for buying Hexa XTA.
iamrightnow is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2018, 14:05   #4353
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I would suggest that one starts 'opening the engine up' after 1,200 - 1,500 km. Gradually increase the revvs till a point where you reach the redline. As an example, if till 1500 km, you are restricting her to 2,000 rpm, then at 1600 km take her to 2,300 rpm. At 1,700 km to 2,500 rpm and so on. I usually complete the running-in and start redlining by 2,000 - 2,500 km on the odo (it's a different matter that I buy more used cars than new, so most of my cars are already run in ).

Once you complete the running-in, be sure to redline your engine once in a while (or more).
What is the ideal way of redlining?

Which gear is preferable? Is it ok to do it in Neutral?

Will it be different for Petrol and Diesel engines?
mrbaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2018, 20:19   #4354
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
Sirji, go for the XTA without any doubts. You will not regret it, Mājhī hamī!

My view about this ESP and TC is that, I want to say this one thing that I don't drive in a way I would ever need them but it would be great to have, why not. I am not saying it's ok not to have safety features but they are not there in this vehicle and that's that. But any day I would take this over fully loaded competition just by looking at the build quality. And for this 700 odd sales we can be sure they won't be adding them any time soon. So just tell yourself you are sitting on top of an elephant and not in a cheetah and drive calm and majestically.

I have been in 1 emergency braking situation in the 9000+kms drive so far and it stopped without any fuss. But the convenience of this beautiful gear box with that 12 kmpl in city is just too good to miss out in my view.

And about this roof rail discussion, to be frank, believe me I noticed it had roof rails just today. They do no stand out or add any real value to the looks of the hexa. And guys, is it just me or do you also feel that TML and Hexa could be the most scrutinized car brands of recent times. Look at the mid version of innova which costs same as XTA and see what you are getting. I know two folks one at 70k and other at 40k going on without even a puncture. Hexa is a very fundamentally sound people mover.
krishnakarthik1 is offline   (7) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2018, 21:29   #4355

Quote:
Originally Posted by krishnakarthik1 View Post
Sirji, go for the XTA without any doubts. You will not regret it, Mājhī hamī!

My view about this ESP and TC is that, I want to say this one thing that I don't drive in a way I would ever need them but it would be great to have, why not. I am not saying it's ok not to have safety features but they are not there in this vehicle and that's that. But any day I would take this over fully loaded competition just by looking at the build quality. And for this 700 odd sales we can be sure they won't be adding them any time soon. So just tell yourself you are sitting on top of an elephant and not in a cheetah and drive calm and majestically.

I have been in 1 emergency braking situation in the 9000+kms drive so far and it stopped without any fuss. But the convenience of this beautiful gear box with that 12 kmpl in city is just too good to miss out in my view.

And about this roof rail discussion, to be frank, believe me I noticed it had roof rails just today. They do no stand out or add any real value to the looks of the hexa. And guys, is it just me or do you also feel that TML and Hexa could be the most scrutinized car brands of recent times. Look at the mid version of innova which costs same as XTA and see what you are getting. I know two folks one at 70k and other at 40k going on without even a puncture. Hexa is a very fundamentally sound people mover.
I absolutely second your views barring the roof rail omission

There are many things for that matter that are not noticeable but it does not mean that omission of them shouldn't matter to a potential customer. I have heard car companies adding roof rail in next versions but increasing the price of vehicle and removing features to then have a customer pay 35k to get it as an accessory is just bad decision-making by TML. I understand price increase is part of overall strategy but at least keep the product same or enhance it, why downgrade it?
iamrightnow is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2018, 00:54   #4356
BHPian

Just picked up my Hexa XTA a few weeks ago. Urban Bronze. Despite negative advice about going in for a TATA plunged right in and happy about it.
So far the observations have been:

Positives
1) adequate torque
2) great gearbox-engine combo. Super smooth shifts
3) great, silent ride
4) around 14.6kmpl on the highway
5) comfy seats
6) music system with clear bass.

Negatives
1) turning radius
2) body roll around corners
3) infotainment system compatibility app not yet available for Apple iOS
4) could have done with reach adjustment for steering wheel
5) headlight beams too focused and difficult to turn into corners at night.

Problems
1) under bonnet safety latch loose hence does not hold it shut after popping up the bonnet
2) right side rear door needs to by tugged at a couple of times before it opens.
3) there is a resonance noise/vibration from the turbocharger @ 1800 rpm.
So it's audible if you are sensitive every time the gear shifts.
Service guy says this is normal to all the 40 Nm torque engines. Is this true??

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 18th September 2018 at 07:48. Reason: Edited and formatted for better reading
studedude is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2018, 10:07   #4357
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by studedude View Post
3) there is a resonance noise/vibration from the turbocharger @ 1800 rpm.
So it's audible if you are sensitive every time the gear shifts.
Service guy says this is normal to all the 40 Nm torque engines. Is this true??
Observed the same in my boss' Hexa AT. This is common and irritating. Prerana also said this is observed in almost every Hexa as well.
However last week he reported that this sound disappeared almost 95% after first service. Prerana claims they did a software update.
Vid6639 is offline   Reply With Quote