Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 25th September 2019, 12:16   #5056
BHPian

Re: Tata Hexa : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by TROOPER View Post
Can any member who has purchased any Hexa 2019 model, in the past couple of months, other than the XT 4x4 & XTA, give me an idea if their car has the dual chrome finished exhaust.
The new 2019 XT models have the twin chrome exhaust tips. What has been deleted is the second tail pipe. So now you have only one tail pipe running from the muffler to one of the chrome exhaust tip. The other chrome exhaust tip is now a dummy and has no tail pipe in it. There is no visible change from the rear unless one bends and looks directly into the exhaust tip.
yd_gli is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 25th September 2019, 12:40   #5057
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yd_gli View Post
The new 2019 XT models have the twin chrome exhaust tips. What has been deleted is the second tail pipe. So now you have only one tail pipe running from the muffler to one of the chrome exhaust tip. The other chrome exhaust tip is now a dummy and has no tail pipe in it. There is no visible change from the rear unless one bends and looks directly into the exhaust tip.
Thanks for the info!

Its just pure OCD from my side. Looking at the car for the past 3 years, and my mind just felt it would be incomplete without the dual look.

As I said earlier, Hexa is a strong choice among our shortlist and a I hope Tata doesn't do any more feature deletions.
Old 26th September 2019, 16:14   #5058
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by doxinboy View Post
I dont think their aim in reducing the feature is anything to do with cost cutting. My guess is that they are postioning Hexa for impending Bussard launch. If they offer .......... Look at all the discussion happening in this and various other thread, people are discussing Hexa, no matter what! Hexa is a go!
Tata has said that the Hexa will be around for a couple of years still. I have been hearing stories about people going to Tata showrooms for the Harrier and ending up buying the Hexa. The Harriers size has been giving people the impression that it is a 7 seater. The Buzzard should change this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaNishi View Post
Dear XTA Owners,

I am using a Pre-worshiped Hexa XTA for last one month or so. I need your knowledge and Experience to enlighten me on the following Queries that I have come across over last one month of Ownership.

Kindly enlighten.

Manish
1. The Mileage - I get about 9 to 11 in the city and about 12 to 15 on the highway. However, I would recommend that you don't worry about the mileage with the Hexa.

2. On Mileage again, I suspect that the Kms are not the real reflection of the actual driven distance and that Vehicle almost always records more Kms than it has actually driven. -

Never tested this. Will have to check.

3. ORVMs do not open or fold automatically in my Hexa, though it has been serviced 3 times with last being in April 2019.

The BCM can be updated to give you that feature. All the setting are there in the diagnostic computer that TASS uses.

4. How do we do Engine braking on the XTA specially when coming down a Flyover or a hill?

Shift into Manual. 1st / 2nd gear

5. Lastly, I have observed some sound coming form rear wheels while braking in Traffic even at dead slow speeds.

Might just need cleaning. Disks approaching end of life dont squeak, they scream. There is a metal clip on the pads that rubs against the disk and makes quite a racket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by damodar View Post
HEXA AT gearbox is adaptive in nature. In my car I noticed that the shift logic changes by the way we give input at the throttle pedal. I usually drive with a very sensitive foot and the gearbox up shifts quite conservatively.
This is actually well documented in the user manual.
mostlynerd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2019, 09:30   #5059
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mostlynerd View Post
This is actually well documented in the user manual.
Could I please trouble you for a screengrab/scan of the same?
Me and a BHPian Hexa owner couldn't find anything in it. Went through the digital copy as well - nothing relevant in there with keywords "adapt", "learn", "gear", "logic" and "shift".

Cheers!
Old 28th September 2019, 19:30   #5060
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mu009 View Post
Could I please trouble you for a screengrab/scan of the same?
Me and a BHPian Hexa owner couldn't find anything in it. Went through the digital copy as well - nothing relevant in there with keywords "adapt", "learn", "gear", "logic" and "shift".

Cheers!
This is embarrassing. I could not find it in the manual. However I did find its mention on TBHP.

"Race car' mode works only in sports mode. There is no button to activate it - simply use the accelerator pedal very aggressively. The transmission's ECU detects this and switches the logic to a state even more dynamic. In race car mode, the engine will hit the redline in every gear! It even downshifts harder. We saw the gearbox downshifting at 3,400 rpm, which translated to a resultant 4,000 rpm in the lower gear! When have you seen a diesel AT doing that?! Race car mode will stay engaged as long as your right foot is heavy. Ease off the accelerator pedal and it gets deactivated after a few seconds, with the Hexa returning to regular sport mode. This was by far the most fun we had in the Hexa."
mostlynerd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st October 2019, 15:27   #5061
BHPian

Folks, absence of ESC/ Traction control in the xta model is impacting my ability to make the purchase. Should I be very worri3d?
Also, the deal price I am getting is 21.2 lakhs excluding insurance (separate)
Is this a good price?
Old 1st October 2019, 17:34   #5062
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
A friend is considering Hexa AT top end. He has been told there is no Traction Control and ESP in AT version! Is this true?
Yes, the brochure clearly states so.
Even I am in the market for xta.. but the lack of this safety feature is upsetting me.
realactivex is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st October 2019, 21:16   #5063
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by realactivex View Post
Folks, absence of ESC/ Traction control in the xta model is impacting my ability to make the purchase. Should I be very worri3d?
Dude, this was exactly my dilemma when I was.on the hunt. Every day I used to sweat in my bed thinking about what ifs. I almost decided to go for XT just because of the ESC. However when I went to the drawing board for the final kill, I realised I can live without it.

Take extensive test drive or get yourself a zoom car XE, I think it doesn't have ESC, for a day or two, that's what I did. It all boils down to your driving style. Remember this is not a sedan and we cannot drive like one. Being a huge car has its characteristics.

XTA is a wonderful car, but dont rush with your decision in a hurry, take your time, test the water before taking the plunge.
doxinboy is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st October 2019, 21:50   #5064
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by doxinboy View Post
Dude, this was exactly my dilemma when I was.on the hunt. Every day I used to sweat in my bed thinking about what ifs. I almost decided to go for XT just because of the ESC. However when I went to the drawing board for the final kill, I realised I can live without it.

Take extensive test drive or get yourself a zoom car XE, I think it doesn't have ESC, for a day or two, that's what I did. It all boils down to your driving style. Remember this is not a sedan and we cannot drive like one. Being a huge car has its characteristics.

XTA is a wonderful car, but dont rush with your decision in a hurry, take your time, test the water before taking the plunge.
I opted for XT 4x4 and it is on the way to the dealership as I write this. Manual also has driving modes and hill control capabilities. I suggest you go for the manual if long-distance runs and hills/expressways etc. are your use cases. If driving is primarily in the city, you won't miss the ESC much. I went for 4x4 for its unique abilities at the price point. Offers 80% of Endeavour at nearly 55% price.
5kmiles is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st October 2019, 23:54   #5065
BHPian

Quote:
the deal price I am getting is 21.2 lakhs excluding insurance (separate)
Is this a good price?
A new one (XTA) costs north of 23L. So its a good price if this is a 2019 model. Ask for inclusion of insurance in the deal and sum it upto 21.5.
I will stay away from 2018 models unless someone offers a super heavy discount to offset the risk.
busydrive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2019, 10:59   #5066
BHPian

Quote:
Should I be very worri3d?
Nope, nothing to be worried about. Our XTA is at 39k kms right now with almost 70% highway travel and I have never had any issues.

And it boils down to how you drive too. As doxinboy was saying do not drive it like a sedan. Its a huge car and I am more worried about others on the road than myself.

But do get yourself an automatic. You will really thank all of us and yourself later especially while driving in a city like Bangalore. And if you still feel you will always have this feeling of not having esc some where in your head every time you drive, just get the Crysta. Over the long run the extra 4-5 lakhs and resale value will even out.
krishnakarthik1 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 6th October 2019, 13:53   #5067
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yd_gli View Post
The single tail pipe ends much before the exhaust tip. In fact both the exhaust tips are dummy now. I have checked this personally in our brand new Hexa XT 2019 model.
SaurabhB is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2019, 20:45   #5068
BANNED

We have a Hexa XTA done about 36000kms. Since few days a squishy sound is coming from steering column area. It occurs whenever Hexa is driven over uneven road, when getting down from a speed bump. Any one faced any such issue? The car is stock.

Last edited by Trust_In_Thrust : 6th October 2019 at 20:47.
Old 6th October 2019, 20:54   #5069
Distinguished - BHPian

Saw on SOUL facebook page: a Hexa (taxi) has done 1.68L km in 2 years and running like a charm !

Way to go, Hexa, and Dillip Sahoo
condor is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th October 2019, 21:37   #5070
BHPian

Pardon me if this has been shared before:

A team from Coimbatore recently embarked on a journey to St. Petersburg, Russia traversing through difficult terrains and climates using two Hexas. The only hiccup they faced with the cars was due to poor quality of diesel which they filled up somewhere in Russia. I've been following their journey on their Facebook page. They recently got back to Coimbatore and are in the process of getting the cars shipped back.

One of the main team members along with others had also embarked on a journey from Coimbatore to London back in 2017, also with a Hexa which completed the journey without any problems whatsoever: Link 1 Link 2.

It is very sad to see that there is not much publicity regarding what was done. If Tata had taken a small amount of effort to advertise these road trips and if marketed properly, it would have done wonders to help Hexa's reputation for mechanical reliability as well as for sales. An opportunity wasted.

Last edited by rshnvjy : 6th October 2019 at 21:39.
rshnvjy is offline   (9) Thanks

Most Viewed