Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st November 2019, 19:52   #5251
BHPian

Re: Tata Hexa : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudo_coder View Post
Does Tata have BS6 engine ready to start production in 2 months? I didn't know that.

TaMo is very much on the move already. This is something regarding BS-6 upgradation that I came across today.

Rajendra Petkar, Chief Technology Officer at Tata Motors, said that the company has reduced the product variants by 15 to 20 per cent and on the powertrain side, Tata would have cut down 25 to 30 per cent at base engine level. The engines have been upgraded to BSVI compliance already and formal certification is being awaited.

From the certification agencies, the brand has received type approvals for more than 80 per cent of the powertrains and over 90 per cent of the vehicle combinations have been approved. The aforementioned upgrades include that of the top-selling Tiago and Harrier along with Iris half tonne van, 55-tonne trucks and large buses.

Here is the Link
Dr.Vikas is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2019, 09:52   #5252
BHPian

How easy is it to remove the third row? I generally don't need 7 seats, but carry luggage many times. So I think it would be a good idea to install it only when required. This will free up a lot of boot space, and may improve the FE a bit.
Old 22nd November 2019, 14:12   #5253
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepsc View Post
Demo car or TD car is strictly no for me. I was referring to vehicles which are available at dealer stockyard or the dealer going to arrange from company plant itself. As fellow BHPian Dr.Vikas has informed that there is still some 2018 manufactured stocks with 19" alloy wheels are available in company plant. May be vehicles will be in better environment compared to dealer stockyard. But i really admire your concern and will definitely consider it if at all i am going to buy stocked 2018 model
By what tugs at the your heart the most! Go have a look at the car and if you like it buy it. Everyone has an opinion on rims, color, mfg date etc but that end of the day its you who is going to drive it and there should be no regrets down the road. Cars are not perishables and believe it or not they will survive lying out in the open at the yard. They are designed to do so.
yd_gli is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2019, 14:39   #5254
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
How easy is it to remove the third row? I generally don't need 7 seats, but carry luggage many times. So I think it would be a good idea to install it only when required. This will free up a lot of boot space, and may improve the FE a bit.
Its not easy for everyone. Will take at least half an hour. And then some to install them back. Involves removing multiple bolts under the seats. You'll open up holes in the floor pan. Its okay as long as they aren't pass through. Not sure if all of them will be sealed though.

The seats fold fully flat in a Hexa. So they aren't much of a worry for luggage & infact give a flat loading bay for storage. About 30kgs of seat weight won't make a noticeable difference in mileage numbers I think. And where will you store these seats when not in car? You'll create space in the car by taking up space in your garage / home.
Reinhard is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2019, 15:35   #5255
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yd_gli View Post
By what tugs at the your heart the most! Go have a look at the car and if you like it buy it. Everyone has an opinion on rims, color, mfg date etc but that end of the day its you who is going to drive it and there should be no regrets down the road. Cars are not perishables and believe it or not they will survive lying out in the open at the yard. They are designed to do so.
I highly appreciate your encouraging word. My line of thinking is the same as what you said. The Hexa is the most suitable car for the kind of road on which i frequently drive at my native place. I am very sure now that i am not going to regret if i listen to heart. I will again start hunting for Hexa but at different dealer now.
Old 22nd November 2019, 16:35   #5256
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
Its not easy for everyone. Will take at least half an hour. And then some to install them back. Involves removing multiple bolts under the seats. You'll open up holes in the floor pan. Its okay as long as they aren't pass through. Not sure if all of them will be sealed though.

The seats fold fully flat in a Hexa. So they aren't much of a worry for luggage & infact give a flat loading bay for storage. About 30kgs of seat weight won't make a noticeable difference in mileage numbers I think. And where will you store these seats when not in car? You'll create space in the car by taking up space in your garage / home.
You are right as far as the time taken for removing the seats is concerned. In fact me and my friend had done this exercise in his Storme which took us exactly that much time. The only difference was that the Storme has side facing jump seats. So don't know how much more difficult/time consuming the same exercise would be in a Hexa.

But you are wrong regarding the flat folding 3rd row in the Hexa. The seats do not fold completely flat. There is quite a slope to them. My 3rd row seats are always folded with even the plastic covers being still on since I bought the car and has not been used for the last 27 months. The solution to this is removing the 3rd row headrests and then folding down the seats. Even then there is a slight slope to the seats.

Now this is because the 3rd row seats of the Hexa have contouring on the extremes of the seat base and they are not completely flat like some of the competitors so they give you reasonable comfort but at the cost of not providing a fully flat folding 3rd row. You win some lose some I would say.
ram87pune is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2019, 21:41   #5257
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram87pune View Post
My 3rd row seats are always folded with even the plastic covers being still on since I bought the car and has not been used for the last 27 months.
I bet it's the same situation with most 7 seaters. Which begs the question: is it really worth buying a 7 seater, if you only use the third row once or twice a year? You experience the drawbacks everyday - difficulty in parking, turning and maneuvering, low FE, higher cost of cleaning. But the benefits are used only sparingly. Why not buy a spacious 5 seater like Duster, Harrier, Creta?
Old 22nd November 2019, 23:58   #5258
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I bet it's the same situation with most 7 seaters. Which begs the question: is it really worth buying a 7 seater
Yes you are right to a certain extent. But in my case I always wanted to buy a butch body on frame SUV no matter what. 99%of the time I am the only person in the car. Whether I use the 6th and 7th seats didn't matter to me one bit. My daily driver is a Jetta. Whenever I drive the Hexa, I don't at all feel as if I am piloting an oil tanker through the Pune city traffic. On the contrary the way traffic makes way for you more than compensates for any disadvantages associated with driving a bulky SUV.

Plus out on the highway the Hexa really comes into its elements. It simply munches miles like nothing else. The Harrier,Creta of this world cannot even come close. Plus I regularly get 11 kmpl in city traffic which is not something I will complain about either.

So yes in short if you are never going to use the 6th and 7th seat, then do look at the Harrier. But if you want something which can dominate the traffic and kind of make you feel like the king of the road then do give the Hexa a second glance. You won't feel shortchanged one bit.
ram87pune is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2019, 15:23   #5259
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Took the Hexa for a long spin.

Loved the ride quality - it's easily among the best riding cars this side of an S-Class. Let me rephrase that : I can't think of any car costing under a crore rupees that rides this well. Not only can the Hexa flatten the worst of roads, it even makes speed-breakers appear smaller than they actually are. Sharp bumps are nicely rounded off. The UV also looks very smart in person, the interiors are excellent and the equipment list is expansive.

However, the ergonomics are totally messed up, at least for taller drivers. I asked Vid6639 as he has a driving position similar to mine, and he agreed too (that it can be a deal-breaker for him). Whatever I tried, I was just not able to find the 'ideal' driving position.

- The steering is too far away. No reach adjustment.
- If I pull the seat closer, then the pedals (especially starting point of clutch) are too close.
- The MT's gear lever is placed too much to the left. You will need to stretch a lot more to engage 1st & 2nd in the Hexa.

I tried on 5 different occasions, but just couldn't feel at home in the Hexa's driving chair. If I was a buyer in this segment, this point alone would push me toward the equally-competitive XUV500.

If you are tall, please be sure to take a long test-drive before signing on the dotted line. The Hexa's messed up ergonomics are just not something I'd be able to live with. Of course, it might be different with the AT (where my left hand & leg aren't required), but I haven't driven the slushbox variant yet.
This played on my mind when I test drove the Hexa more than a year ago. In fact, the long gear throws threw me off; quite in a bad way. Not to mention the weird arm rest for the left arm. I measure in at 6 feet and an extra inch, with a middle-age spread putting in an appearance.

4 drives later, one of which involved a weird breakdown, I cancelled my booking for the Fortuner and took the plunge with this massive slab of metal in the 4X4 manual garb.

Over the last 15 months, and 26,000km through some of the most inhospitable roads of rural Maharastra, I have gotten used to the idiosyncrasies of the seating position, and find myself far more comfortable than in any other car I have ever been in. Of course, some of this can be confirmation bias, but my back is yet to complain.

The only thing that one needs to ensure when they buy the Hexa is to switch out to 16" rims with tall side-walled tyres (I switched to Yoko Geolandars). The 19" rims are fabulous on the well paved highways, and when you pull up wherever the swish families tap their feet to Abba these days, but leave your blood-pump in a tizzy every time you spot a rock or two in the middle of nowhere, which is where the natural stomping ground of this car is.
thedragonreborn is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2019, 20:56   #5260
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedragonreborn View Post
The only thing that one needs to ensure when they buy the Hexa is to switch out to 16" rims with tall side-walled tyres (I switched to Yoko Geolandars). The 19" rims are fabulous on the well paved highways, and when you pull up wherever the swish families tap their feet to Abba these days, but leave your blood-pump in a tizzy every time you spot a rock or two in the middle of nowhere, which is where the natural stomping ground of this car is.
I test-drove an XTA today. I didn't like the ride quality. Today itself I drove a Zest and it was s much better than hexa. The Hexa is a personal one, up for sale, and well maintained. I had a similar experience with test drive at a dealership, but I thought may be their car is heavily abused.

Now I think it might all be due to the wheels.
pseudo_coder is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2019, 21:06   #5261
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I test-drove an XTA today. I didn't like the ride quality. Today itself I drove a Zest and it was s much better than hexa. The Hexa is a personal one, up for sale, and well maintained. I had a similar experience with test drive at a dealership, but I thought may be their car is heavily abused.

Now this is news to me. How can a Zest ride better than a Hexa? I think even if you put 20 inch wheels the Hexa will ride better than the Zest. If you really think that you felt the ride of the Hexa to be not upto the mark then there must be something seriously wrong with the model which you drove. Maybe suspension issue or too high tyre pressure?

Apart from this I dont think the Zest can even come close to the Hexa in the ride comfort department. One question I want to ask you is you are repeatedly mentioning the Zest and the Hexa in the same post. Are you comparing these two for your next purchase?
ram87pune is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2019, 21:26   #5262
BHPian

Quote:

It would be due to the wheels, yes. Being an XTA, it will be running the original 19" rims shod with MRF Wanderers, unless the current owner changed out the rims to 16". Now, the Wanderers should never have been birthed. The rubber hardens, cracks and very rarely does it hold the pressure desired. Pretty much the reason why I ditched them. Mine had started bouncing like an ill-behaved kangaroo and worn out around a mere 18,000 km.

I literally haven't come across a better riding vehicle. If you are located in Mumbai/Pune/Nashik, would be happy to give you a spin in mine

Note from Support:

Dear BHPian,

There are several punctuation & grammatical errors in your post. This negatively affects the forum experience for other readers.

Kindly ensure that you proof-read your posts prior to submission.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 23rd November 2019 at 23:00. Reason: Corrected grammar and punctuation.
thedragonreborn is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2019, 21:55   #5263
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram87pune View Post
Apart from this I dont think the Zest can even come close to the Hexa in the ride comfort department. One question I want to ask you is you are repeatedly mentioning the Zest and the Hexa in the same post. Are you comparing these two for your next purchase?
I think you are underestimating Zest. The reason I even considered an unpopular car like Zest is because I was impressed with its suspension, that too in a cab. My ride today was in a brand new car. The suspension was nearly as good as Duster's.

Yes, I was considering new Zest XTA and used Hexa XTA. Dropped Zest after the test drive.

Quote:
Mine had started bouncing like an ill behaved Kangaroo and wearing out around at a mere 18,000km.
This! The car I tested has run 22k. So my experience is not an unique.

Quote:
I literally haven't come across a better riding vehicle. If you are located in Mumbai/Pune/Nashik, would be happy to give you a spin in mine
I am in Pune. Thank you for the offer. I gladly accept it Please let me know how I can connect with you.

Mod Note : Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!

To know how to multi-quote, click here (How to MULTI-QUOTE (when replying to a thread) on Team-BHP)

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by Sheel : 23rd November 2019 at 22:11.
pseudo_coder is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2019, 16:24   #5264
MCR
BHPian

Had been on a long drive in a friend's Hexa and came out thoroughly impressed. This was XTA variant purchased in June 2019 (with 19 inch wheels). The ride quality was awesome and the NVH levels were also quiet good. The JBL audio is simply fantastic and gives a dance floor like experience.

Have traveled a lot on Innova Crysta and when compared to Hexa, it feels a bit down market. The ride quality (with 17 inch wheels) is not anywhere close to Hexa. Similarly the NVH levels are not really that good.

Overall Hexa is definitely a better package and VFM too.
MCR is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 27th November 2019, 18:38   #5265
BHPian

Quote:
Mod Note : Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!
I use the android app, and the edit buttton appears only for a short duration after posting.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks