Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 10th December 2019, 20:31   #5326
BHPian

Re: Tata Hexa : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram87pune View Post
I don't understand when every other manufacturer is charging extra money for a dual tone option why Tata is forcing the customers to go for that option in Hexa's top end variants? Charge those customers extra who want to get one and leave the rest of us with your standard colors.
Typical Tata shooting their own foot as usual. As if the Harrier debacle wasn't enough. 'Hey the Hexa seems to be alright, let's botch that up too!'

Now we'll have to do a poll at home, and if it's a tie, we toss the coin
TROOPER is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 10th December 2019, 22:44   #5327
BHPian

The website & brochure still state that top end Hexa variants are available in Dual tone but nowhere is it specifically mentioned that single tone isn't available. If you try booking Hexa XT online, you could book it in single tone.

So expecting to get information from the horse's mouth I started a live chat on the website. Now I don't know if whatever/whoever I am chatting with is a bot or a human. But Tata needs to sort some stuff out.

The images are self explanatory.

Tata Hexa : Official Review-11.jpg

Tata Hexa : Official Review-22.jpg

Mods, please merge this post with my previous one if required.
TROOPER is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th December 2019, 00:57   #5328
BHPian

I'm wondering which is more VFM. XM+ or XT? Owners, kindly advice. Also, what would the service cost post 50k-70k km?

Thanks!
Old 11th December 2019, 02:18   #5329
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitinDev View Post
I'm wondering which is more VFM. XM+ or XT? Owners, kindly advice. Also, what would the service cost post 50k-70k km?

Thanks!
The XM+ appears to be better VFM at first glance. It has almost all goodies that the XT has and even the minimal difference between the two in terms of fancy features is now notably down to only the Harman ICE which gets 10 speakers in XT vs 6 in the XM. (Partly thanks to TATA deleting the 19 inch alloys too)

However, curtain airbags, ESP and traction control are only available in the XT, which is actually why I would suggest you go for it. If you have the budget, just get the XT, but if it's too much of a stretch, the XM+ will more than suffice.
vishy76 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 11th December 2019, 08:04   #5330
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Thanks!
As far as exterior styling goes, both the XM+ and the XT look almost the same except the alloy wheels. While the XT now gets 17 inch wheels the XM+ gets 16 inchers. Both have been given black treatment. The ones on the XM+ are those which were available on the top end Storme while the ones on the XT are those which were available on top end Aria. To my eyes at least the 16 inchers look better than the 17. Also the XT gets dual tone paint scheme as standard so it's another way to differentiate between theses two.

Coming to the interiors let me list out the major differences between XM+ and XT below -

1. 8 speakers vs 10 speakers.

2. Normal leather upholstery vs Benecke Kaliko upholstery.

3. No cruise control in XM+.

4. 2 airbags vs 6 airbags.

5. Missing ESP with rollover mitigation and Traction Control with Hill Descent Control.

6. No USB charging port for 2nd row in the XM+.

7. Auto down power window on drivers side only vs for all 4 windows in XT.

8. 6 seater option not available in XM+.

Now for all the above mentioned differences Tata is asking for an approximate premium of 1 lakh rupees for the XT over XM+. So like mentioned by vishy 76, if you are not strapped for cash then just go for the XT variant. I would go for the XT over the XM+ just for the additional safety features alone.
ram87pune is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 11th December 2019, 08:12   #5331
BHPian

Quote:

1. 8 speakers vs 10 speakers.

3. No cruise control in XM+.

4. 2 airbags vs 6 airbags.

5. Missing ESP with rollover mitigation and Traction Control with Hill Descent Control
The above four additions does make it worth by a Lakh. Especially with such a huge car and high ground clearance rollover mitigation should have been standard.

Speaker setup of the top end is a blessing for audiophiles. 1 lakh premium is justified but as said if an absolute no possibility to extend then one variant down makes it good value for money.

I have not driven this car much but I have a strong feeling that it is a very under rated car. Especially for those who prefer Innova, this isn't by any mean a let down.

Last edited by Sheel : 11th December 2019 at 09:56. Reason: too = top. Please proof read your post prior to submitting it. Thanks.
VWAllstar is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th December 2019, 08:29   #5332
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VWAllstar View Post
with such a huge car and high ground clearance rollover mitigation should have been standard.
Not just it is not standard, but it is missing even in the top end XTA (so is ESP)! Other cars actually provide additional safety features like ESP for AT version.
pseudo_coder is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2019, 08:37   #5333
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudo_coder View Post
Not just it is not standard, but it is missing even in the top end XTA (so is ESP)! Other cars actually provide additional safety features like ESP for AT version.
That's bad. A car half the price has one -Ford Freestyle. Tata need to really look into their decision making team.
VWAllstar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2019, 10:42   #5334
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VWAllstar View Post
That's bad. A car half the price has one -Ford Freestyle. Tata need to really look into their decision making team.
Even if they strictly want to maintain the current pricing, they can cut down on features which can be added later, like heated ORVMs, 10 speakers system etc.
Old 11th December 2019, 11:36   #5335
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TROOPER View Post

And on the other hand, we have Wasan Tata motors, its been 48 hours, 0 follow up for a customer waiting to plonk 2 million. Does anyone want to ask me if I'm surprised with TAMO's dismal sales figures??

All I keep in mind is GTOs thread/post where he mentioned not to skip on your preferred ride because of a stupid dealer.
I don't agree with that statement about not skipping your ride because of a stupid dealer. In the long term which vehicle has the highest probability of keeping you satisfied? A manufacturer who has already given you ample evidence that it has not got its channels sorted out or a manufacturer who has got its channels sorted out? Logically, if you are having trouble convincing a company to sell you a car, you should avoid that car. Otherwise, you are taking a lottery ticket, hoping against hope that things will be okay once you own the car. I am sure this comment will attract a lot of opposition in the form of examples of greatly satisfied TML product owners ( I am also one), but my point is those one-off instances do not have any argumentative value in a probabilistic world.

Let's try to understand your plight from the last few posts.

* You want to buy a 20 lakh rupee car, You go to a TML dealer. The dealer ignores you.
* You pursue the dealer ( Should be the other way around), eventually decides to give him 20 lakh.
* You don't get the colour you like.
* You go to the website. The website tells you it is available.
* You chat with the customer care executive, who tells you entirely different things than that is given in the website.

I am really surprised that you are still interested in this car.

Last edited by padmrajravi : 11th December 2019 at 11:38.
padmrajravi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th December 2019, 12:56   #5336
BHPian

Quote:
The dealer will be providing with the typical rubber mats as complimentary
That should be fine. You wouldn't believe but I got my mats at METRO Cash & Carry stores for rs. 299 (original mrp. 699) when they were on sale and after 43000 kms they are just fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivathedude View Post
It has been an year and a half and 23000 Kms
Quote:
Well my Hexa has done close to 33k kms in 2.5 years .
Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Roxx View Post
Zero complaints. 2 yrs & 37k later.
Looks like I am moving a bit more, 43k kms in 1.7 years.

Quote:
So now we have a color dilemma.
Dual tone white looks really good and those black wheels compliment it very well.

Quote:
I'm wondering which is more VFM. XM+ or XT
Definitely XT is more VFM. You get a lot more for what you pay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by padmrajravi View Post
I am sure this comment will attract a lot of opposition in the form of examples of greatly satisfied TML product owners ( I am also one)
No, you are totally correct. I am very happy Hexa owner but agree with you. For someone looking to buy Hexa if you can't find a good dealer and a honest service center nearby just skip it. Its not that the market is barren and you don't have options. Just go get the Innova or the Xuv or buy from someone who wants to sell cars.

Tyre change update. The right side back tyre developed a bubble and had to be replaced. I was told that the 19 inch stock size were available in bridgetstone too but couldn't get it. Some folks just quoted too high a price of 24k per tyre. So had to go back to the MRF and asked the service center to get it for me. Total cost 14k.
krishnakarthik1 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th December 2019, 13:24   #5337
BHPian

Quote:
I don't understand when every other manufacturer is charging extra money for a dual tone option why Tata is forcing the customers to go for that option in Hexa's top end variants? Charge those customers extra who want to get one and leave the rest of us with your standard colors.
I will see it in other way. When all other manufacturers are forcing you to pay extra for dual tone option, Tata is offering it as standard option for top end without charging any extra penny for it. When manufacturers don't offer dual tone option in their line up models, we demand for dual tone option and even ready to shelve extra for it. Here in case of Tata, they are offering dual tone as standard option and we are blaming them for offering it as standard option. But as a customer i will agree that we should have the right/choice whether to opt for it or not.

Quote:
I don't agree with that statement about not skipping your ride because of a stupid dealer.
If the car in question had been any other car costing say 5 lakh then had we been in same dilemma? Here the question is for 20 lakh car and there is battle between heart and head. I will agree that you have to be extra careful when you are spending more than 20 lakh on a car which is less in demand and manufacturer & dealers themselves are reluctant to sell it.

But Hexa is one such car you can not ignore it. As you own yourself, you will agree with me. I myself had bad experience with Tata owned Concorde Motors but it has not stopped me for taking interest in buying the Hexa. The used one or new both options are open for me. Nowadays there are pretty good FNGs where Hexa can be taken care of. Spares availability will not be an issue as it is home grown product.

We do not purchase the car thinking that how we will service her but for how the car will service us.
sandeepsc is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th December 2019, 13:39   #5338
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepsc View Post
I will see it in other way. When all other manufacturers are forcing you to pay extra for dual tone option, Tata is offering it as standard option for top end without charging any extra penny for it. When manufacturers don't offer dual tone option in their line up models, we demand for dual tone option and even ready to shelve extra for it. Here in case of Tata, they are offering dual tone as standard option and we are blaming them for offering it as standard option. But as a customer i will agree that we should have the right/choice whether to opt for it or not.
Agree with your point somewhat. But what I am trying to say is the Hexa does not look good in any dual tone shade except maybe white and black combo, so that's why I think it's silly of Tata Motors to force the customers to opt for the dual tone in top end variants.

Now imagine if a customer does not find the dual tone option appealing but he likes the Hexa otherwise, he may cancel his purchase and go for a rival manufacturer. And this will be completely Tata's fault. When there are umpteen people who are ready to bash you for even small things then you should not give them such easy fodder.
ram87pune is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2019, 15:09   #5339
BHPian

Happy to inform you all that we have booked our Hexa XT 4x2 MT With Captain Seats in Tungsten Silver from Inderjit Cars, Mira Road

We got a pretty great deal IMO. The whole experience from Inderjit, until now, I would rate 9/10.

Quote:
I don't agree with that statement about not skipping your ride because of a stupid dealer. In the long term which vehicle has the highest probability of keeping you satisfied?
I am really surprised that you are still interested in this car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by krishnakarthik1 View Post
No, you are totally correct. I am very happy Hexa owner but agree with you. For someone looking to buy Hexa if you can't find a good dealer and a honest service center nearby just skip it. Its not that the market is barren and you don't have options. Just go get the Innova or the Xuv or buy from someone who wants to sell cars.

Why am I interested in this car?

Because it is at least a master of something - Ride quality, comfort, build and safety. That makes 4. And these 4 were the top priority for us. And if I didn't care about these 4, I would have stuck with the Dzire and save all my money. Or I would buy an Ertiga/XL6 and save a boat load of money. Or buy the Innova and waste a boat load of money. Or buy the other tons of Pseudo-Suvs available.

And if I wanted a true SUV I would go buy the Thar.

IMHO only the TATA HEXA and SKODA OCTAVIA qualify for being true VFM and master of at least Something.

The rest of the competitors are just jack of all trades, master of none. Just like TATA Group as a whole.

The big question is do you want to live with a great company with an okay car or an okay company with a Great Car?

As far as dealers not being interested in selling the Hexa, I cannot answer.

Our decision was fixed, if the experience & deal is good, we buy the Hexa. Otherwise we wait for Skoda Kamiq/Octavia.

Well as far as my entire experience is concerned, it has been way way above expectations. In all, we approached Wasan, Inderjit, Deogiri and Concorde, in that order.

Of these, Wasan was stubborn and uninterested with the quote they were offering.

Inderjit showroom is excellent and the reception too I feel is the best you could get from a Tata dealer. They consistently followed up, every day. And gave us a sweet deal too. Even today, our booking appointment was fixed for 11 am, and our SA called us at 10.45 am sharp, informing that he's waiting and all the paperwork is ready.

Deogiri and Concorde were quite receptive, and our communications were limited to telephony.

I'll agree Tata has botched not one or two but a whole lot of things. But I don't have to live with their customer support, non-updated website, dealer, Sales representative etc.

I have to live with the car

Will I have a trouble free experience? No idea. If other Team-BHP Hexa owners reviews are to go by, most probably I will have a fairly trouble free experience.

As far as the dual tone debate is concerned, people go to the extent of spending over a lac rupees ceramic coating their cars. If anyone is so color conscious and crazy, they'll know a way around it. Not ditch Hexa for some other product. If you are crazy about the Innova's reliability and ready to spend the insane premium, then you can compromise and go for the dual tone white/silver for whatever reason you are crazy about the Hexa.

For prospective car owners, read this

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...l-because.html (Had a bad sales experience at a dealer? Please do NOT eliminate the car model because of that!)

PS: The above screenshot I posted, is the only one failure yet from Tata Motors customer support. Rest of the time they have been receptive and transparent. I still don't know if it was a bot or a human.

Last edited by TROOPER : 11th December 2019 at 15:26.
TROOPER is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 11th December 2019, 15:17   #5340
Distinguished - BHPian

My Hexa XTA suffered damage to its front and back bumpers on being sandwiched between cars during a pile up a couple of days after Diwali. The car was sent to Treo Tata’s Okhla workshop the very next day for repairs under insurance, and it was to be returned to us by Nov 15th.

Unfortunately, my Hexa is still at the workshop after almost 45 days. I visited for a checkup yesterday. The staff say that they are not receiving parts from Tata motors due to issue with GST numbers in their ordering system. Over 30 cars that had come in for accidental repair were similarly stuck. They say many workshops are affected.

While I understand the helplessness of the workshop in this particular matter and appreciate the manager’s honesty, it is terrible on Tata Motor’s part that they are not able to provide basic spare parts like bumpers, lights and trim to their workshops due to technical glitches. And why is it taking them so long to resolve this issue? They have the might of TCS inside the family, IT systems should be their strong suit.

Sad to see a superb car being let down unnecessarily by poor support.

Tata Hexa : Official Review-12ef61c3e8724d9397579f32ea7fe014.jpeg

Tata Hexa : Official Review-5737ab92e1a14c4aad7d69c66dbb0c6b.jpeg

Last edited by Shreyans_Jain : 11th December 2019 at 15:25.
Shreyans_Jain is online now   (14) Thanks

Most Viewed