Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th March 2020, 21:56   #5656
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tata Hexa : Official Review

Guys latest news on Hexa BS6 is that 2 engines have been made as of last week and now the process of fitting them in actual Hexa prototypes will start soon. So we should be able to spot those on public roads in the coming months.

Also Tata has given a strict target to its Hexa BS6 team and the suppliers to make sure that the Hexa relaunches by diwali this year. So let's wait and see if Tata is able to achieve their target.

Watch this space for more updates....
ram87pune is offline   (30) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2020, 01:01   #5657
Distinguished - BHPian

Meanwhile, does anyone fancy a 200+ HP Hexa?!

By Race Concepts:

Quote:
Breaking new boundaries!

TATA cars have been breaking new norms with safety and features yet being value for money offerings. At the same time they are heavy and lack enthusiasm when you floor the pedal. That's what got us thinking with the dynamic yet potent TATA Hexa 2.2 MUV. The high scores with safety, comfort and features make more sense if engine response and performance got stronger.

So, we quickly put a plan together to make the 156hp 400nm Hexa, get into a whole new level. A completely redesigned intake system, full exhaust system, tune enhancements, intercooler upgrade with an all new induction layout etc ensured we removed the lag, increased performance right off idle till redline and turned it into a proper hooligan!

So much fun that it's properly quick with its 200+ hp output at crank (195whp) and can shatter the performance of even more expensive cars in its class. The super potent and nimble chassis comes alive with the extra power to powerslide and sprint fast in a straightline too. This is completely contrary to what anyone would believe a TATA can do, but with the performance boundary unlocked, it's at a whole new level!
Tata Hexa : Official Review-1.jpg
RavenAvi is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2020, 08:09   #5658
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram87pune View Post
Guys latest news on Hexa BS6 is that 2 engines have been made as of last week ..
Thanks, Ram. One question - I believe these will be modified versions of the current BS-4 unit that's doing duty ? A new engine would mean too much expense ?
condor is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2020, 10:24   #5659
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Thanks, Ram. One question - I believe these will be modified versions of the current BS-4 unit that's doing duty ? A new engine would mean too much expense ?
Yes these are the same Varicor 400 engines doing duty in the current Hexa with the addition of an LNT. Also the BS6 motor is expected to produce the same 160 bhp/400nm output as before.

Like I had mentioned earlier, since the Varicor 400 engine was always BS5 compliant from day 1 Tata need not invest much time and effort into making it a BS6 unit. That's why they can get away with having just an LNT for such a large engine is what I am told.

So whereas Tata needed nearly 1.5 years for the BS6 conversion of the 2.0 Multijet, they are able to achieve the same for Hexa in less than 1 year.
ram87pune is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2020, 16:48   #5660
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Yes these are the same Varicor 400 engines doing duty in the current Hexa with the addition of an LNT. Also the BS6 motor is expected to produce the same 160 bhp/400nm output as before.

So whereas Tata needed nearly 1.5 years for the BS6 conversion of the 2.0 Multijet, they are able to achieve the same for Hexa in less than 1 year.
Music to the ears! I'm glad the 2.2V400 will soldier on. While others are moving towards more powerful, leaner 2.0L blocks, glad to see the (now) old-school workhorse carrying on. While technology advancements work wonders, for real world I really feel nothing replaces displacement. This reliable engine is a gem (along with the brother from another mother mHawk). God bless TML for continuing with it.

(At the same time - God should give TML a slap on the wrist at least, for initially not readying this engine in time. Seems they had thought of junking it first & with MJD2.0 in Harrier they saw the value of own engine. )
Reinhard is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2020, 17:02   #5661
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That's why they can get away with having just an LNT for such a large engine is what I am told.
Does it mean BS6 Hexa will not need an additive like Adblue? That is some achievement if it becomes true. The general consensus was that some kind of additive will be needed for all engines larger than 1.5 L capacity.
Old 23rd March 2020, 17:09   #5662
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
(At the same time - God should give TML a slap on the wrist at least, for initially not readying this engine in time. Seems they had thought of junking it first & with MJD2.0 in Harrier they saw the value of own engine. )
Couldn't agree more, they have learnt it the hard/hardest way.
wheelguy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2020, 17:42   #5663
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by padmrajravi View Post
Does it mean BS6 Hexa will not need an additive like Adblue? That is some achievement if it becomes true. The general consensus was that some kind of additive will be needed for all engines larger than 1.5 L capacity.
Yes, if its an LNT, it won't need AdBlue. Why exactly has it been mentioned generally that the LNT is better for smaller engines? I have never fully understood it. Is it because of the cost involved in making an absorbent with sufficient area of the precious metals (Rhodium etc. on plates) for the amount of exhaust gases from a larger engine?

If the 2.2Varicor was already EuroV compliant from start without an SCR like mentioned by @ram87pune, achieving BSVI without an SCR might have been relatively easier per se.
Reinhard is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2020, 19:03   #5664
BHPian

Quote:
Yes, if its an LNT, it won't need AdBlue. Why exactly has it been mentioned generally that the LNT is better for smaller engines? I have never fully understood it. Is it because of the cost involved in making an absorbent with sufficient area of the precious metals (Rhodium etc. on plates) for the amount of exhaust gases from a larger engine?

If the 2.2Varicor was already EuroV compliant from start without an SCR like mentioned by @ram87pune, achieving BSVI without an SCR might have been relatively easier per se.
Please excuse my ignorance, but what does LNT stand for ?
Old 23rd March 2020, 19:04   #5665
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shramik View Post
Lean NOx Trap. A more sophisticated catalytic conversion that specifically absorbs (by reacting with) the NOx from exhaust fumes of lean burning engines like diesel engines.
Reinhard is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2020, 19:08   #5666
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Lean NOx Trap. A more sophisticated catalytic conversion that specifically absorbs (by reacting with) the NOx from exhaust fumes of lean burning engines like diesel engines.
Thanks! My understanding is that this device reduces oxides of nitrogen by adsorption, which means it must have some form of "adblue" type of injection.
I also understand that all BS6 compliant (diesel) engines must have urea/water injection. I am willing to be educated!!

MOD NOTE - Please avoid typing with excessive dots.........like................this.

Thanks

Last edited by Sheel : 23rd March 2020 at 19:10.
Old 23rd March 2020, 19:11   #5667
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks.My understanding is that this device reduces oxides of nitrogen by adsorption, which means it must have some form of "adblue" type of injection.
I also understand that all BS6 compliant (diesel) engines must have urea/water injection. I am willing to be educated!
No, LNT doesnt need AdBlu for the burn. For example, KIA SELTOS diesel uses LNT and doesn't need AdBlu. An SCR implementation needs AdBlu. Where the exhaust fumes are further "burnt" using the urea fluid.
Old 23rd March 2020, 19:22   #5668
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes, it seems an LNT system is costlier because of the precious metals involved, especially in the case of larger engines. I read somewhere that SCR performs better and the mileage impact is lower. As you said, since the engine is already a clean burner, an LNT may have been sufficient to take it below the norms. I can't believe the bean counters decided to discontinue such an engine.

Interesting times. The twins - MHawk and Varicor are going separate ways now. Let's see what proves to be more reliable.
padmrajravi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2020, 19:50   #5669
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dearchichi View Post
The cost of a vehicle needs to be judged on the service it provides, that is, in terms of cost-per-kilometer. Assuming the Hexa rolls out of the factory with a running life of 200,000 kilometers, the following gives an estimate of the vehicle in the secondary market.
A friend in the car Hire business in Pune had 175 Tata Aria cars (He had picked up the entire left over stock) of the 175 cars 162 (single driver cars) exceeded 5 lakh km, and 12 (double driver cars) exceeded 8 lakh km before they were replaced. He was very interested in Hexa XE, but snobbish no discount policy in 2017 discouraged him.
A lakh is just running in for such a car.

I'm very happy that a BS6 is coming in but not happy that it's an LNT. LNT's inject diesel in the exhaust to reduce the trapped NOX having an effect on mileage. SCR's inject Urea which is less than half the cost of diesel.

Rahul

Last edited by BlackPearl : 23rd March 2020 at 20:08. Reason: Formatting
Rahul Rao is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2020, 20:07   #5670
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul Rao View Post
LNT's inject diesel in the exhaust to reduce the trapped NOX having an effect on mileage. SCR's inject Urea which is less than half the cost of diesel.
That's right. Although, I think the amount of diesel and urea used in these solutions is also different. SCR needs urea all the time. The LNT diesel injection is at longer intervals to "regenerate" the catalyst substrate by removing the reacted residue that forms after reactions over-time.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks