Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 7th November 2020, 14:14   #5806
BHPian

Re: Tata Hexa : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by smsrini View Post
Which service center in Hyderabad is recommended for hexa service. Need to get my front suspension bushes replaced before going back to Bangalore
Call the service center and ask about it. Tata takes Hexa complaints seriously so they will give you a good service. Ideally they will bring parts from other parts of the city also. And they have parts in some warehouse. So that won't be an issue.
Old 7th November 2020, 14:33   #5807
Senior - BHPian

Is Hexa permanently discontinued? I was under the impression that BS4 version was discontinued and BS6 was still on paper and supposed to launch in few months. COVID would have put hold on the plans. Shame if they killed it altogether.
Old 7th November 2020, 16:39   #5808
BHPian

Even I am kind of waiting for Hexa 4x4 when it launches in BS6 variant. There is already a Hexa in the family and happy with it. A Safari edition was shown in last Auto Expo but nothing after that.
Very capable and comfortable vehicle.
Old 7th November 2020, 18:01   #5809
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by techfreak View Post
Even I am kind of waiting for Hexa 4x4 when it launches in BS6 variant. There is already a Hexa in the family and happy with it. A Safari edition was shown in last Auto Expo but nothing after that.
Very capable and comfortable vehicle.
Knowing you, why not the Isuzu v cross?
Red Liner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2020, 18:51   #5810
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Knowing you, why not the Isuzu v cross?
That's in list too but as of now not available and likely to be launched in BS6 avatar in few months. Booked THAR but delivery in April 21

So kind of waiting for any 4x4 in desperation almost.
techfreak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2020, 19:16   #5811
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDEEP View Post
1. Estate - High Riding Coupe-ish passenger vehicle (Station Wagon) in 10-15 Lakhs price range.
2. Sierra - Modern Body on Frame 2-Door Luxury SUV with on road prices upto 20 lakhs.
3. Safari/ Hexa - Premium 4-Door SUV based on Range Rover platform with prices upto 25 (-ish) Lakhs for fully loaded variant.
4. Sumo - Multiple variants, catering to different set of drivers - hardcore budget off- roaders (Gurkha/ That Competition) with 4-door variants, people carrier, multipurpose vehicle (security, medical, research & misc duties). Probably the biggest lineup in Tata stable.
5. Manza - Full size executive saloon with prices upto 12.5 Lakhs.
My thoughts right there!!!
For most of the late 2000s and early 2010s I had dreamt of a TML line-up exactly like this.

Sure, Tata's current strategy is not at all wrong and is working just fine, but in a weird way feels like they are just like Kia on this aspect. Brand new vehicles with brand new brand names, moving purely on their strength than legacy.

With the next gen of Tiago and Nexon atleast, they could start having legacy brand names.
Agreed 💯 that they had to shrug off the Indica/Sumo brand baggage, but it was TML's own undoing, not the products fault.
Though they still haven't learnt on the QC front and A.S.S, even if the vehicles themselves are FAR more capable now and desirability up through the roof.

Not going to say about their two platform approach. They have done their research well and know what they are doing, as evidently seen now in their sales success.

But abandoning the X2 platform and not focusing on in-house big diesels are still stupid decisions IMHO.

Like the Hexafication of the Aria, a Sumo/Grande/Movus 2.0 would have taken a chunk off the Bolero/TUV market. Not volume markets for sure, but loyal consistent market.

A Sierra on the X2 platform? Jeepers aside, Thar prospective fence sitters would grab up the model.

Next gen Scorpio is around the corner, a capable next gen Safari could do very well in that segment.

For all that, they should re-develop the 2.2l mill.

Piggybacking on the Fiat 2.0l won't bode well. Look at what it did to the Harrier, am pretty sure the delayed Gravitas launch has something to do with engine deal.
And it is hampering any new project on the Omega platform.

TML could and is continuing on new projects based on the Alfa platform, but without an in-house big diesel, the Omega platform is a sitting duck.

Just pray they let go of the two platform=efficiency and bring back the BS6 iteration of the Hexa.
DicKy is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th November 2020, 20:45   #5812
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DicKy View Post
My thoughts right there!!!
For most of the late 2000s and early 2010s I had dreamt of a TML line-up exactly like this.

But abandoning the X2 platform and not focusing on in-house big diesels are still stupid decisions IMHO.

Like the Hexafication of the Aria, a Sumo/Grande/Movus 2.0 would have taken a chunk off the Bolero/TUV market. Not volume markets for sure, but loyal consistent market.

A Sierra on the X2 platform? Jeepers aside, Thar prospective fence sitters would grab up the model.

Next gen Scorpio is around the corner, a capable next gen Safari could do very well in that segment.

For all that, they should re-develop the 2.2l mill.

Just pray they let go of the two platform=efficiency and bring back the BS6 iteration of the Hexa.
Just quoting myself from the other thread. Glad to know there are similar thinkers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by discoverwild View Post
20,000 bookings for the Thar say otherwise. There's a market if you look for it. A modern Sumo with a 4x4, low range TC was doable and was already much more comfortable and drove better than the Thar. They quietly shelved the Sumo for the sake of modernity. Wouldn't that have made an affordable, hardcore yet comfortable off-roader?

Yes, I do agree that the 4x4 market is low. The Thar is selling because it's a replica of the Wrangler and an iconic figure. Well, isn't the Land Rover an iconic mark too? Probably a much bigger marque than the Wrangler itself.

Right from the word go, the Harrier was never meant to be a 4x4. That's why they changed the layout of the engine and made it FWD. If they had thought that they would have a 4x4 in future, they would have made it a RWD in all probability and the vehicle could have probably been launched sooner. And also the reason why they couldn't get an AT sooner or use the Punch PowerGlide from the Hexa AT.

I don't say Tata did the wrong thing. They did what they felt was right and enough. They didn't want to try any further which was a sort of letdown.

I really do hope they come back with the Hexa in 4x4 guise.
discoverwild is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2020, 22:06   #5813
Senior - BHPian

Tata could launch an XMA 4x4 variant for Hexa and place it slightly above Thar and an XTA 4x4 next to compass top end. Most people who booked Thar did it for the 4x4 automatic variant. And all of them have it in the back of the mind that Thar just cannot be used as a family car. They don't need full off road ability, they just need the assurance that they have 4x4 if needed. I don't agree with the thought process that people who are booking Thar will not look at anything else. I already know couple of guys who are still confused between Thar and Creta/Seltos. Simply because they are not able to convince their family about spending 17 lakhs on a 2 seater car.

The automatic variant is the key. Without that, 4x4 will give you only hardcore enthusiast customers. Introduce the automatic 4x4 and you get access to a lot of people who just want to have the nice feeling of having 4x4 in their car without losing the comfort factor. That 20k booking that Thar garnered, has got a lot of people ike this.

The Safari edition if at all it comes, it should come only in 4x4 auto variants. May be just two variants - XMA 4x4 and XTA 4x4. Give both of them six airbags and same infortainment. Differentiate on the basis on alloy wheels, cruise control, push button start, sun roof etc.

Last edited by padmrajravi : 7th November 2020 at 22:09.
padmrajravi is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th November 2020, 14:45   #5814
BHPian

I just bought a used 2018 Hexa and am looking for advice on exterior modifications - especially number guards in Chennai. Can someone please advice on good location to get it installed in Chennai?
Proxima is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th November 2020, 15:58   #5815

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satshan View Post
Yes it is. I was reluctant before the installation and hence requested the dealer to install only if they have sunfilms with maximum transparency level and lowest tint. In the daytime, its really unnoticeable unless you look very carefully. Quality-wise too, its really good.
Hi , curious to know if you managed to get that Sub woofer installed in the slot provided. I drive a XM+ too and looking for recommendations , thanks in advance!
Old 14th November 2020, 17:01   #5816
BANNED

The issue with leakage at Cylinder head at fourth exhaust port has come in our Hexa XTA which is a March 2018 model. It has run close to 27000kms now. Can I continue using it till next service which should be in March before asking for replacement of complete head or should I get it done asap ?
Old 15th November 2020, 07:14   #5817
BHPian

Recently on turning off the vehicle, I was hearing some metal sound. Checked it out and it was the exhaust pipe touching the metal.
Took it to service station. Culprit was exhaust pipe crack. The guy told me due to dual exhaust, this problem is common in Storme and Hexa.
Luckily it was covered under warranty and was replaced.
But as per cost reduction and modularity, now TATA is giving single pipe exhaust of Harrier for Storme.
Mine was replaced with a single pipe exhaust.
Came across this on the Safari Storme thread. Anyone with a dual exhaust pipe Hexa encounter this problem???
Old 15th November 2020, 17:49   #5818
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trust_In_Thrust View Post
Can I continue using it till next service which should be in March before asking for replacement of complete head or should I get it done asap ?
Sir I am no technical expert but just head to the nearest TASS and get this fixed asap. I don’t know what other technical issues may arise due to this however it’s better to get this kind of engine issues fixed asap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by studedude View Post
Came across this on the Safari Storme thread. Anyone with a dual exhaust pipe Hexa encounter this problem???
In our Hexa group, this is among the top reported issues from most owners. The old dual exhaust pipe design had a flaw due to which it kept cracking for a lot of owners. Get this changed and in most cases, Tata is doing this free under warranty. However the new one will be a single exhaust one of the two silver exhaust tips on the Hexa rear will be only for show.
It has no bearing on the performance, however.
swarnava.ch is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th November 2020, 08:55   #5819
BANNED

I took of photos of the leakage and attaching here for suggestion. I also spoke to service centre Trunorth Peeragarhi, Delhi ( earlier was Concorde) but they said no such issue exist in Hexa , I showed the pictures but they said it’s normal .
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Hexa : Official Review-a9a60a26fb7e4a8cb42c7ece49b3878f.jpeg  

Tata Hexa : Official Review-d1ad009dcff2471cad27443b4450141e.jpeg  

Last edited by Trust_In_Thrust : 16th November 2020 at 08:57.
Old 16th November 2020, 09:19   #5820
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trust_In_Thrust View Post
I took of photos of the leakage and attaching here for suggestion. I also spoke to service centre Trunorth Peeragarhi, Delhi ( earlier was Concorde) but they said no such issue exist in Hexa , I showed the pictures but they said it’s normal .
This seems to be more like dampness from an initial leakage, wipe it with a cloth and see if it reoccurs . An oil leakage will be more wet to the touch and if it's dry enough you shouldn't worry.
damodar is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed