Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th March 2021, 01:52   #5926
BHPian

Re: Tata Hexa : Official Review

So after all this dilly dallying, I settled for Ertiga.
Hexa is a great car, no doubts, considering all my driving needs, and a relatively lesser wait I went for Ertiga (2nd one in our family, father already owns a 1st Gen back home).

Thank you all for sharing your thoughts and helping me crystallize my needs against fancies.
patel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th March 2021, 18:16   #5927
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvldvr View Post

Also, changed the stock 5" Harman system with a 9", 4/64 GB Woodman android head unit around 3 months back. The head unit fits perfectly, touch response and overall speed are excellent, and the sound output is also better than the stock system. Very happy with the product.

Attachment 2124346

Attachment 2124347
The system look lot better and i am assuming it is even better in person. Could you share additional details on where you sourced it from, model, cost and do all the existing features work with this new head unit. Happy to PM if required. Advance thanks
Old 30th March 2021, 12:18   #5928
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiwik View Post
Could you share additional details on where you sourced it from, model, cost and do all the existing features work with this new head unit. Happy to PM if required. Advance thanks
Hi.

Attaching contact details of the guys whom I sourced it from:-

https://hiwoodman.com/?gclid=Cj0KCQj...EaAiV6EALw_wcB

Amit 08595804903.

You can get the latest pricing and model details from these guys.

As regards features, details are as follows:-

1. Steering controls work.

2. Reverse camera works.

3. Park assist / PA Tone/ Delay Timer- This button in the dash switches on the reverse cam even if reverse gear is not engaged. Tone and delay timer are add on settings of the same. This does not work. For me personally, as long as the reverse cam comes on with reverse gear, i am fine.

4. Vehicle Auto Relock - It works. It is set to all doors relocking after a certain vehicle speed. That is how it should be. It cant be disabled (it shouldnt be as well, IMO).

5. Door Unlock - It is set to all doors unlocking with driver door unlock. The option of only driver door unlocking with unlock button is not there.

6. Exterior lights approach lamp - These lights work with the given button on the key. You cant set the time for them to switch off in auto (30 or 60 sec). However, you can always do that yourself with the key button.

7. Mood light - It works, in only one colour, i.e. the last one you that was selected before installing the system.

Hope this helps.

Attaching a few more pics of how the system looks when installed.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Hexa : Official Review-screenshot_20210330120657_telegram.jpg  

Tata Hexa : Official Review-screenshot_20210330120648_telegram.jpg  

nvldvr is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 30th March 2021, 13:07   #5929
BHPian

There was some initial speculation that the Hexagon would be launched in BS6 avatar again at a later date. But now there seems to be no update. Any news / views ?
Old 30th March 2021, 18:50   #5930
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya79india View Post
There was some initial speculation that the Hexagon would be launched in BS6 avatar again at a later date. But now there seems to be no update. Any news / views ?
I visited the Tata showroom and asked them about it. Unfortunately, none of them have any idea about the relaunch of the Hexa. The manager did mention that the Hexa was a very capable car (which is something we know) but tried to push the Safari to me. The next is to try and get access to a Tata Motors employee . I feel that, since the Hexa is priced similar to the Safari, Tata motors would not want to cannibalize the sales of the Safari. Doubt if they would do anything till end of this year unless Safari sales slump after the initial hubbub. I hate plunking extra money on an Innova but that's probably what I would need to do if there is no information over the next couple of months.

Last edited by sentra26 : 30th March 2021 at 18:52.
Old 31st March 2021, 15:56   #5931
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya79india View Post
I wouldn't hold my breath for the relaunch of the Tata Hexa. The main issue will be price, if Tata wants to turn a profit on the Hexa they'll have to price it over the Tata Safari which will make the Hexa look undesirable considering the JLR heritage and SUV stance of the Safari.
Old 31st March 2021, 16:54   #5932
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanjdias View Post
I wouldn't hold my breath for the relaunch of the Tata Hexa. The main issue will be price, if Tata wants to turn a profit on the Hexa they'll have to price it over the Tata Safari which will make the Hexa look undesirable considering the JLR heritage and SUV stance of the Safari.
Although their Yodha has a 2.2 L engine in BS6 form, that is a commercial vehicle so the same engine may not work in a private vehicle like Hexa, perhaps that is the reason we have not seen its reappearance.
Kosfactor is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2021, 11:25   #5933
BHPian

Hi all

I have been a reader of this thread for a long time.

I am on the lookout for a large SUV / MPV for my family. It will only be used for long drives (as we have another small car at home for city duty)

It's not an urgent requirement as of now, but as we slowly inch towards normalcy, I expect travelling to resume.

I have been researching about a prospective vehicle by reading team-bhp, watching YouTube and so-on. After a lot of thought, I think the Tata Hexa automatic would be a good fit for my purpose.

But, could you please help to resolve some of my queries regarding the Hexa?

My queries / concerns are:

* since the Hexa is no longer available, and it was only on sale for around 4 years and no concrete info regarding a BS6 re-launch, will there be any problems down the road regarding spares availability? I guess consumables like filters and brake pads won't be an issue, but what about non-common items like body parts (headlight, tail light, mirror assembly etc)?

* Which model year should I be looking for? I have read there are some changes between the initial vehicles and the later model years

* Which seat configuration should I be looking at? Captain seats / bench seats? We are a family of four. In the Team-BHP review, it is mentioned that the captain seats offer significantly better comfort than the bench configuration, so I am kind of leaning towards captain seats.

* I was looking through OLX yesterday and there are only a handful of Hexas listed for sale (and none in my city). So I guess finding one is going to be a challenge.

* Is there an upper limit on the mileage done on a vehicle I should consider?

* Regarding price - what would be a realistic price to offer a seller should I come across a good car?

An example - I have seen a listing for a 2018 Hexa XTA Captain seat version done 37,000 KM (same registration as my state) listed for 15.25 lakhs - what would be an ideal offer for this vehicle?

A big factor coming into play in offering a price is the resale value down the line - I am a bit worried about this as well - I don't expect the Hexa to hold a good resale value - say 5 years down the line.
A quick search for a Tata Aria in my area shows prices in the range of 2.5 - 4 lakhs. But since we usually keep hold of our cars for a long time, It's not bothering me a lot.

I have never driven / travelled in a Hexa and since there are no longer new ones being sold, getting a test drive will be challenging!

Also, do you think I should consider other cars as well? I guess the main alternative would be the Innova Crysta.

I have driven & travelled in an Innova Crysta automatic during September 2019. It was the first time my family has travelled in a large MPV and we loved it! This trip is a main reason why we are considering a large SUV / MPV. The reason I prefer Hexa over a Crysta is that I like the looks of the Hexa more (both interior & exterior) - also I have read about the amazing ride quality of the Hexa.

Looking forward to your thoughts and inputs

Best Regards
Old 4th April 2021, 11:14   #5934
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Games Goblin View Post

An example - I have seen a listing for a 2018 Hexa XTA Captain seat version done 37,000 KM (same registration as my state) listed for 15.25 lakhs - what would be an ideal offer for this vehicle?

A big factor coming into play in offering a price is the resale value down the line - I am a bit worried about this as well - I don't expect the Hexa to hold a good resale value - say 5 years down the line.
A quick search for a Tata Aria in my area shows prices in the range of 2.5 - 4 lakhs. But since we usually keep hold of our cars for a long time, It's not bothering me a lot.

I have never driven / travelled in a Hexa and since there are no longer new ones being sold, getting a test drive will be challenging!

Also, do you think I should consider other cars as well? I guess the main alternative would be the Innova Crysta.

I have driven & travelled in an Innova Crysta automatic during September 2019. It was the first time my family has travelled in a large MPV and we loved it! This trip is a main reason why we are considering a large SUV / MPV. The reason I prefer Hexa over a Crysta is that I like the looks of the Hexa more (both interior & exterior) - also I have read about the amazing ride quality of the Hexa.

Looking forward to your thoughts and inputs

Best Regards
* since the Hexa is no longer available, and it was only on sale for around 4 years and no concrete info regarding a BS6 re-launch, will there be any problems down the road regarding spares availability? I guess consumables like filters and brake pads won't be an issue, but what about non-common items like body parts (headlight, tail light, mirror assembly etc)?
# Legally, car manufacturers are required to provide spares for upto 10 years after the vehicle discontinuation year. That puts availability up until 2030. The engine is an old war horse though. Parts shouldn't be much of a problem, but you might have longer wait times for spares to be shipped out from Pune
* Which model year should I be looking for? I have read there are some changes between the initial vehicles and the later model years
# Pre-2019 has a extra goodies like functional roof rails (I have a luggage carrier strapped to it, and lug around quite a bit), charging ports in the boot etc, but a smaller touch screen + physical buttons for the ICE + no Android Auto. Post July 2019, MASSIVE touch screen ICE, but non of the other bits and bobs. Also, for the XT trims, the wheels moved from being 19" monsters to a more manageable 17". Some folks like me, junked the 19"s and moved to 16"s, shod with Yoko ATs
* Which seat configuration should I be looking at? Captain seats / bench seats? We are a family of four. In the Team-BHP review, it is mentioned that the captain seats offer significantly better comfort than the bench configuration, so I am kind of leaning towards captain seats.
# Entirely your choice. I have 5 adults + 1 infant + dog to hop out on trips, and that alone ruled out the captains. I find the bench very practical, and my septuagenarian dad finds it comfy. More posterior space too! We have had 600+ km drives in a single day without any fatigue
* I was looking through OLX yesterday and there are only a handful of Hexas listed for sale (and none in my city). So I guess finding one is going to be a challenge.
# It is going to be a bit of a task to find one, what with a production run of around 30k cars. Most owners have invested in a bit of a long term car. Plus, it was apparently sold at a loss as a point to be prove Which means it was quite a VFM car. If you can, buy through your contacts, or find a Hexa owner to vet the car for you
* Is there an upper limit on the mileage done on a vehicle I should consider?
# There is a thriving community of owners of the car, and blokes have been driving their cars for over 1+ lakh kms. I personally wouldn't recommend a Hexa that has been driven more than 40k odd km. There are a few things that you must watch out for:
  1. Exhaust pipe welds and if it has been replaced, if it is the original dual pipe design
  2. Replacement of the A/C blower actuator (weirdly, it has conked for a fair few)
  3. Leaks from the engine head (the gasket in some units was problematic, and TML changed them under warranty. Ideally, this is a non-issue, but it will affect resale value for those who hold that dear. The engine block is the same one from the older Safari and Scorpio)
  4. Catcon supporting strut weld. For some cars, it can cause an irritating rattle during cold starts. Has been replaced under warranty for a few

* Regarding price - what would be a realistic price to offer a seller should I come across a good car?
# For around 30 - 40k km, for a car in good nick and no rattles, a Hexa would fetch around ~13.5 lakhs. But you will have to discount a resale price if you buy the Hexa. It is a car that is bought based on how you feel about it, and definitely not with your head
What city are you based out of?

Cheers!
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Hexa : Official Review-hexa-01.jpg  

Last edited by thedragonreborn : 4th April 2021 at 11:17.
thedragonreborn is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 8th April 2021, 22:36   #5935
BHPian

@thedragonreborn

Thank you for taking the time to post such a detailed write up - it clears up all my queries.

So, a small update - on Easter Sunday - after breakfast, the entire family was sitting in the living room and talking random stuff. I brought up the topic of buying a large car and pitched the idea of a pre-owned Hexa. I managed to somewhat convince my dad a few weeks beforehand by showing him YouTube videos of Hexa travelogues and owner feedback, so he was in support of the idea.

But my elder brother advised against it. His primary reason - discontinued model means a lot of uncertainty in the future - especially the re-sale aspect. I am not usually one to decide on a car based on it's re sale value (our current car is 15 years old and we have owed it for 10 years now), but my brother's reasoning was keeping aside the re-sale value - 5 or so years down the line, if a need arises to sell it, could we even find a buyer for such a niche car?

Another point of concern raised was the service aspect - how well can the techs at a Tata service center diagnose problems on a Hexa? With so few vehicles around - would they be familiar with dealing with un-common issues on the vehicle?

After hearing these arguments, my dad, who was in the "For" camp before, is now in the "Against" camp.

So, it looks like Hexa is on the back burner for the time being.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedragonreborn View Post
What city are you based out of?

Cheers!
I am from Cochin, Kerala. As you have rightly pointed out, finding a pre-owned Hexa in a non Tier 1 city will be a challenge. Since I last checked, there are only 4 Hexa automatics listed for sale in my entire state. The nearest one is 90 KM away.

I called an advert for a 58,000 KM run XTA captain seat version (110 KM away from me) and the owner was expecting 15 lakhs. I'm not the best negotiator, so I didn't show further interest since I would feel bad making an offer more in tune with the market prices (based on the estimate shared by thedragonreborn in the post above). The scenario is illustrated perfectly in the below Top gear clip @ the 6:00 mark

Another ad I called was for what looks like an early 2019 (the car is listed as 2019 but it has the 19" wheels and older stereo) XTA captain seat with 37,000 on the ODO - it was at Thiruvananthapuram (220 KM / 4 hours from my place) - it was with a dealer and he was firm on 15 lakhs

Idea of a Hexa is on the back burner for now, but I'll be keeping an eye out on the classifieds if one pops up in my city.

Best Regards

Last edited by Games Goblin : 8th April 2021 at 22:43. Reason: typo
Games Goblin is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th April 2021, 19:47   #5936

Quote:
An update on my Hexa XT 4x4, bought in Jan 19.

Also, changed the stock 5" Harman system with a 9", 4/64 GB Woodman android head unit around 3 months back. The head unit fits perfectly, touch response and overall speed are excellent, and the sound output is also better than the stock system. Very happy with the product.

Attachment 2124346

Attachment 2124347
Thanks for this post @nvldvr. Even I am looking to upgrade android HU in my Nexon XMA. I have Unplug brand HU already and do not like what it offers. Came across this from Woodman.

I have one major doubt. Does the stock USB port still work(Woodman claims it does work) or we need to use the new USB ports only from glovebox ? And also how trustworthy are they ?

Thanks.
Old 12th April 2021, 21:33   #5937
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by goat_rf View Post

I have one major doubt. Does the stock USB port still work(Woodman claims it does work) or we need to use the new USB ports only from glovebox ? And also how trustworthy are they ?

Thanks.
Hi.

They provide additional usb ports in the glove box. The stock one did not work when i got the system installed in my Hexa. You may check with them if they have found a way to keep the stock port working by now.

These guys are reliable and quite responsive. I know quite a few guys (around 10 or so) who have installed this system. No complaints from anyone so far.

Cheers.
nvldvr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2021, 21:52   #5938

Quote:
Hi.

They provide additional usb ports in the glove box. The stock one did not work when i got the system installed in my Hexa. You may check with them if they have found a way to keep the stock port working by now.

These guys are reliable and quite responsive. I know quite a few guys (around 10 or so) who have installed this system. No complaints from anyone so far.

Cheers.
Sure. I have been discussing the same with them and they have promised refund in case if USB doesn't work.

Thank you
Old 21st April 2021, 22:01   #5939
BHPian

A quick question for the owners of Hexa Automatics and fellow car enthusiasts:

For TC ATs which are "Filled for Life Time", per the manufacturer, would you as yet change the AT fluid?

Our Hexa XTA has run 90k and is due for a service in the coming few days.

Our car was bought used with service history and extended warranty valid until Feb'22.
I would normally prefer to have the important fluids replaced / flushed as would be applicable so that I have a kind of start line.

A bone of contention is the AT fluid.
While TATA Motors claims that the Punch Powerglide sourced 6L50 AT GB is "Filled for Life Time", most online forums and reviews on TC ATs suggest that the AT GB Fluid should be changed at about 100k Miles which would roughly convert to 1.6L Kms. This is also the case for the Punch Powerglide sourced 6L50 AT GB (used in the Hexa) which is used in multiple other models internationally.

I am kind of concerned about this since I have heard that there have been instances of AT GB replacements for Hexa where the AT GB Fluid had given up at about 1.5L kms.

What would you recommend in this situation?

Any experience shared by fellow owners and car enthusiasts on this topic is highly appreciated.
MS_Auto is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st April 2021, 22:17   #5940
BHPian

As per Tata Hexa owners manual it's filled for life time, go with manufacturer's recommendation. ATF not only lubricates the planetary gear set but also acts as the oxygen for the AT brain- the valve body, better not to mess with it unless it's having any trouble. Happy motoring with your beast.
TorqueIndia is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks