Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th July 2021, 19:32   #5971
BHPian

Re: Tata Hexa : Official Review

Folks, I've recently bought home a 2017 Hexa XTA. Looking for some help:

1. Autofold is not working (Although it is written "Autofold" on the mirrors) - Should I take it to a Service center and get the software update?

2. Are the Roof rails functional? - I'm thinking of buying a roof carrier bag (Amazon Basics) and get it attached.

3. Has there been any software update to the Engine/In Car Entertainment systems?

4. I find the gearshift to be slightly hard (especially moving to "P" from "D") - Is this common?

5. Is 6 months checkup necessary? I'm used to 1-year service intervals. 6 months sounds too short.

6. The sunglass holder is broken in my car - I intend to replace it with a grab handle (like the one on the passenger side) Has anyone done this?

7. The Roofliner are stained in some spots - Any suggestions to get it cleaned ? I'm wondering whether the 3M foaming interior cleaner might be more damaging (It might leave the Roofliner wet - No personal experience)

8. Has anyone replaced the battery on the key? What is the battery spec? CR2032? It looks like one of the keys is running low on battery.
Old 17th July 2021, 20:03   #5972
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaasscit View Post
1. Autofold is not working (Although it is written "Autofold" on the mirrors) - Should I take it to a Service center and get the software update?
Autofold can be activated via software update at the workshop

Quote:
2. Are the Roof rails functional? - I'm thinking of buying a roof carrier bag (Amazon Basics) and get it attached.
They aren’t functional, to the best of my knowledge.

Quote:
3. Has there been any software update to the Engine/In Car Entertainment systems?
My XTA’s audio system remains as it is. No updates have been incoming.

Quote:
4. I find the gearshift to be slightly hard (especially moving to "P" from "D") - Is this common?
A bit of resistance in and out of P is there. Nothing unusual about it.

Quote:
5. Is 6 months checkup necessary? I'm used to 1-year service intervals. 6 months sounds too short.
My Hexa goes to the workshop every 12 months. No 6 month nonsense. Do note that as per the owner’s manual, Hexa needs an oil change after every 20000km.

Quote:
6. The sunglass holder is broken in my car - I intend to replace it with a grab handle (like the one on the passenger side) Has anyone done this?
No idea about this. The workshop may be able to arrange a new sunglass holder for you.

Quote:
7. The Roofliner are stained in some spots - Any suggestions to get it cleaned ? I'm wondering whether the 3M foaming interior cleaner might be more damaging (It might leave the Roofliner wet - No personal experience)
Do have your car professionally detailed inside out once. It will feel like new.

Quote:
8. Has anyone replaced the battery on the key? What is the battery spec? CR2032? It looks like one of the keys is running low on battery.
My Hexa is into it’s 5th year. Batteries of both keys are still absolutely fine. Work like a charm

Last edited by Shreyans_Jain : 17th July 2021 at 20:05.
Shreyans_Jain is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 17th July 2021, 21:12   #5973
Distinguished - BHPian

Any not-high-run white Hexa for sale in Karnataka ? I am suggesting the Hexa to my nephew, but the ads dont show many. One on TBHP classifieds has run 83k, though looks well maintained.
Old 17th July 2021, 22:09   #5974
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaasscit View Post

Roof rails are completely functional. Many owners have attached bags from Amazon basics all the way upto Thule racks. You’d need cross bars to be bolted on them to mount stuff.
TROOPER is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2021, 02:11   #5975
BHPian

Guys, recently I went on a trip and my Hexa gave troubles. I turned it off for 2-3 minutes after a hilly drive of around 3 hours. When I tried starting it again, it just switched off as soon as it starts. This happened continuously. I tried starting, it starts, as soon as it starts, it switches off again. No errors on the MID. I tried starting after 10 minutes it started. This happened many times on the drive. Anybody knows what could be the issue?
amritpal2489 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2021, 13:09   #5976
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amritpal2489 View Post
Guys, recently I went on a trip and my Hexa gave troubles. I turned it off for 2-3 minutes after a hilly drive of around 3 hours. When I tried starting it again, it just switched off as soon as it starts. This happened continuously. I tried starting, it starts, as soon as it starts, it switches off again. No errors on the MID. I tried starting after 10 minutes it started. This happened many times on the drive. Anybody knows what could be the issue?
Check the battery connector terminals, there might corrosion/loose-contact of the battery cables. This used to be an issue in my Aria and improper tightening of it after every workshop visit was aggravating it I suspect.
LobsterB is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th July 2021, 13:31   #5977
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LobsterB View Post
Check the battery connector terminals, there might corrosion/loose-contact of the battery cables. This used to be an issue in my Aria and improper tightening of it after every workshop visit was aggravating it I suspect.
Checked.. Everything is found correct.. The vehicle actually starts and then turns off
Old 18th July 2021, 15:27   #5978
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amritpal2489 View Post
Checked.. Everything is found correct.. The vehicle actually starts and then turns off
Is the weather cold? You may want to check the diesel filter. Appears to be a fuel related issue. If there is a plunger on top of the diesel filter, consider pressing it a few times until it feels hard and then start the vehicle.
Kosfactor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2021, 16:17   #5979
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
Is the weather cold? You may want to check the diesel filter. Appears to be a fuel related issue. If there is a plunger on top of the diesel filter, consider pressing it a few times until it feels hard and then start the vehicle.
Thanks... Will try doing this the next time the car gives me trouble
Old 21st July 2021, 17:55   #5980
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_ajay View Post
Is the BS6 Tata Hexa (or the 2020 Auto Expo showcased Safari Edition) ever going to see the light of the day? At least 3-4 months from now?
Heard from a service advisor today that they are training service centre staff for this.
pandabear is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th July 2021, 21:02   #5981
BHPian

Given the talk /speculations about return of Hexa, I have been pondering about following points.
1. Have a feeling that Hexa was a case where Tata wanted to prove a point in terms of validating legacy, ability to a provide top of the line product and carve a space in terms of comfort, looks and build.
2. Tata might have chewed more that can be swallowed in the bargain - a situation not helped by sales revenues and further market dynamics.
3. More precisely - the input costs to create the beast do not seem to add up for me from a commercial perspective, e.g given the costs of powertrain -> Varicor engine ( @ 3-4 lakhs) plus Punch Powerglide AT gearbox ( 7 lakhs?) . I do not claim to be fully accurate on the numbers here but have a reasonable ballpark based on Boodmo and other sources
4. Adding up GST and other taxes gives me a feeling this was never 'profitable' to put it mildly, also given TATA operates on wafer thin margins
5. Tata shaving off stuff in latter model Hexa's also seems to validate the point about inout costs
6. The aggressive historical pricing, lackluster sales and current trends ( FWD urban SUVs, monocoque chassis, handling, BSVI) does seem to suggest a comeback would be challenging at an acceptable price point.
Appreciate your views.
Arun yadav is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th July 2021, 19:33   #5982
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arun yadav View Post
Given the talk /speculations about return of Hexa, I have been pondering about following points.
1. Have a feeling that Hexa was a case where Tata wanted to prove a point in terms of validating legacy, ability to a provide top of the line product and carve a space in terms of comfort, looks and build.
To borrow a quote from Christopher Nolan's Batman, Hexa is the car we want but not one that the Indian market deserves

I guess the Hexa was a bridge between what was the Tata Motors of 2010 and what is the Tata Motors of 2021. In many ways it was exemplifying the change happening at Tata Motors, kick started by Karl Slym.

But there is a reason why the Hexa is acclaimed on this forum but a sales dud in the market. It was an amazing vehicle, great value for money but where it lost out was in the looks department (I know subjectivity et al) and the baggage of being a Tata Motors vehicle before Tata Motors' transformation. I like to think of it as a martyr in Tata Motors image perception war, mostly because it was in the vanguard.

For whatever it's worth I hope it makes a return.
charade is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 9th August 2021, 20:12   #5983
BHPian

Dear All,
I have been living with the so called 'engine gargle' for quite sometime now, and given by the talk earlier in this space it looks like an engine characteristic of VARICOR 400.
Of late, the noise has started to bother me a bit, hence popping this question as I was not able to zero in on a solution by scanning earlier pages of this forum.

I am able to gather following by experience and from the forum:
1) The noise originates from somewhere between engine and the right wheel manifesting during gear changes + taking pressure off the accelerator pedal + on incline - It happens either individually or in any combination of above events
2) it occurs most commonly between 1600-2000 rpm range, but have seen it infrequently on higher rpms as well
3) People seem to rule out a gear box issue - mainly because the powerglide unit has a solid reputation and history- would be really bad news if otherwise
4) a new ECU software update seems to mitigate the issue to some extent but not very clear on the outcome
5) by most accounts TATA has not been able to provide a permanent fix, while preserving other parameters, mainly torque.

Our XMA( 2018 with 23k km) is due for a TSS visit - and would highly appreciate any inputs to help me tackle this, as of now, I plan to ask for the ECU update.
Arun yadav is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2021, 09:58   #5984
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arun yadav View Post
I was not able to zero in on a solution by scanning earlier pages of this forum.
You are right Arun and your observation is correct. I would recommend you to just let it be. Mine was a Manual XT and after updating the patch for Gargle issue, it was a bit less and bearable. However the automatic guys, who got their ECU updated, were not very happy with the patch due to the change in the pickup characteristics. Once updated, it's very difficult to go back. So take your pick, if you can shut down the windows and turn the volume of the music up, then its ok. If you don’t mind a bit of a pickup compromise, then you can go update your ECU.
swarnava.ch is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th August 2021, 13:59   #5985
Senior - BHPian

I'm facing a strange issue with my car.

The key is not coming out after switching off the car. Stays stuck in the ACC position.

Took it to Brindavan Motors in Bowenpally, where they sprayed some WD40 but that didnt help. they wanted to open the steering box and change the lock, which did not sound right to me.

Took it to Malik cars today, and their SA Sreenivas was very knowledgeable and helpful. He diagnosed it to be related to the ignition key interlock solenoid in the gear shifter. Opened up the gear shifter and by pressing the solenoid arm, the key was released.

Now the tricky part. The solenoid is not an individual part and the whole gear shifter needs replacement. Hope Tata will honor the extended warranty.
The shifter costs around 80k.

Curious to know if any other member has faced this issue with their Hexa Automatic.
smsrini is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks