Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 11th August 2021, 14:07   #5986
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tata Hexa : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by smsrini View Post
Now the tricky part. The solenoid is not an individual part and the whole gear shifter needs replacement. Hope Tata will honor the extended warranty.
The shifter costs around 80k.

Curious to know if any other member has faced this issue with their Hexa Automatic.
I had faced similar issue in my Honda City Automatic. The key was not coming out of the lock even after the gear was moved to 'P' position. Since, my car was out of warranty, I had to call my local mechanic, he dismantled the lock and got it repaired, the problem went away after that.
mercedised is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2021, 09:38   #5987

So many opinions and tips in this long thread have prompted me to upgrade to HEXA from Ritz (which I recently sold with a heavy heart).

I have found one from an Individual and the specs are : Jul 2017 registered XM 7 seater MT version, 30,600kms Arizona blue colour. Alloys wheels installed at the time of purchase and car is under warranty till Jul-2022 and engine oil was changed in the last service in Mar 2021. There are a couple of nail drawn small scratches and the passenger seat on front has a small tear. Otherwise the car is in excellent condition. He is a first owner and the insurance valid till Oct 2021.

The price quoted is 10.5L

Reason for upgrade is addition of 2 kids and a pet daschund and frequent trips to Mangalore meant Ritz was getting smaller. Also, occasionally parents join us on city rides to malls, markets, church, etc.

Do you think its a fair price? Not worried about the mileage but is the maintenance on the higher side (owner says 25k annually which is ok for me if true)?

Marazzo and Scorpio are next choices on pre-owned list. Ertiga is ruled out and Innova/Fortuner/Endeavor are explicitly pricey for a pre owned car.

MOD NOTE : Please proof read your post for spelling / typo / grammatical / capitalization / exclamation mark error before submitting your post. Thank You!

Last edited by Sheel : 22nd August 2021 at 09:48. Reason: Mod note attached.
Old 22nd August 2021, 23:02   #5988
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coastrider View Post

The price quoted is 10.5L

Do you think its a fair price? Not worried about the mileage but is the maintenance on the higher side (owner says 25k annually which is ok for me if true)?

Marazzo and Scorpio are next choices on pre-owned list. Ertiga is ruled out and Innova/Fortuner/Endeavor are explicitly pricey for a pre owned car.
I think 10.5 is a fair price, for a relatively less run model, still under extended warranty till 2022.

Will recommend Hexa strongly over Scorpio or Marazzo.
The kind of comfort Hexa will provide, can never be matched by these two.

Annual maintenance will be generally lesser than 25k per annum.

Let us know what you finally decide.

Cheers.
nvldvr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2021, 23:32   #5989
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coastrider View Post

That’s a very fair price for such a clean and low run car. Maintenance isn’t too expensive, but you are nearing a timing belt replacement which happens at the 5 year mark. Basically, your next service will be a bit pricey. Expect the tires to need replacement at the 50000km mark, that’s how much the OEM MRF Wanderers last.

Don’t bother with the Scorpio or Marazzo. There is no car under 35L than can touch the Hexa for sheer space and comfort. Family cars don’t get much better.
Shreyans_Jain is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th August 2021, 06:10   #5990
BHPian

https://www.cartoq.com/imthiyas-beeg...rs-hexa-crash/

Here is a post shared on Facebook by famous ghazal singer, Imthiyas Beegum who had an accident in a Tata Hexa. She shared pictures of the accident and thanked Tata Motors.
nvldvr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th August 2021, 08:18   #5991
BANNED

We have a Hexa XTA done 38000kms. It has been driven quite aggressively on bad roads , speed bumps. The car was due for service and after jumping a pretty big speed breaker the steering got tilted to right by about 30degrees but car was still going straight. On reaching home I checked underneath and saw the control arm bent . Has the control arm bent due to jumping speed breaker ? Any other part that can be damaged related to this which I need to replace ?
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Hexa : Official Review-072a69685d0645dabec5328393d17fb2.jpeg  

Old 29th August 2021, 09:13   #5992
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trust_In_Thrust View Post
We have a Hexa XTA done 38000kms. It has been driven quite aggressively on bad roads , speed bumps. The car was due for service and after jumping a pretty big speed breaker the steering got tilted to right by about 30degrees but car was still going straight. On reaching home I checked underneath and saw the control arm bent . Has the control arm bent due to jumping speed breaker ? Any other part that can be damaged related to this which I need to replace ?
That looks like someone jacked up your vehicle incorrectly by placing the hoist on the control Arm, speed bumps don't do that. They can knock the alignment out of the front suspension, so that is what you need to check - this is a heavy vehicle and front end is the weak spot.

Replace the bent bits of course.
Kosfactor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2021, 09:11   #5993

BHPians,

I need suggestions:

Front tyres (stock MRF) of my Hexa developed mild cracks (please see pics). These tyres are 2 yr old and ran ~10k km. I am planning on a long trip soon. Is it safe to use these? or Should I replace them? Rear tyres don't have these cracks though.

Regards,
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Hexa : Official Review-img_5152.jpg  

Tata Hexa : Official Review-img_5153.jpg  

Old 2nd September 2021, 10:15   #5994
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisecontrol View Post

Front tyres of my Hexa (stock MRF) developed mild cracks. These tyres are 2 yr old and ran 10k km.

I'm planning on a 600km trip. Do I need to replace them?
These tyres looks similar to the old nylon treaded tyres seen on old Ambassador/ Padmini cars. Good you observed the cracks!

It is always suggested to play safe with tyres. Please check if Warranty is applicable and by all means, please replace the tyres. Else you will have the fear and will be low on confidence on highways.
Old 2nd September 2021, 10:29   #5995
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi All,

Front tyres of my Hexa (stock MRF) developed mild cracks. These tyres are 2 yr old and ran 10k km.

Regards,
Looks like the car has been parked for a long time without being moved at all. A better judge would be a wheel alignment centre guy or the service center to help you.
discoverwild is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2021, 10:29   #5996
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hi All,

Regards,
A casualty of disuse, under inflation and weathering perhaps. MRF has 6 years warranty coverage, send them a note with detailed pictures and see if they can help provide you a prorated replacement. You will have to pay a certain percentage based on inspection.

I have done this claim with JK and it was a very quick settlement.
Kosfactor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2021, 11:39   #5997

Thanks for the responses. I have confirmed with the service center. They aren’t covered under warranty.

Has anyone tried Bridgestone 235/55/R19s? Any other recommendations? Or should I go with MRF again?
Old 15th September 2021, 01:32   #5998
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpyder View Post
Pretty much set my eyes on Hexa XT now. It has been brought out in this thread and other reviews, there is an issue about 19 inch wheels with low profile tyres and the bumpy rides +cost factor (when replacing).

Out of curiosity i began a search for 19 inches replacements. Amazon, Michelin, Yokohama - no website seems to stock this size. Yokohama has max of 18 inches. That means tyre /wheel replacement is not only going to be costly, but also pretty difficult to source. Amazon has some stock costing upwards of 20k a piece!!

My questions now :-
Is it possible/ advisable to downsize (to 16 inches like in xe/xm) at the time of delivery - without voiding the warranty.

As discussed in this thread, are the suspensions actually built to withstand the stress due to low profile and large size tyres?
Raking up a very old thread. Did you finally downsize to 16" Rims? I am in a similar quandary here. I have 235/55/R 19 105T MRF Wanderer S/L tyres on my XTA and one of the sidewalls received a cut after going over some oddly place stones. Switched to the spare ( which is a 16" Steel rim ,running Bridgestone Dueler H/T 235 /70/R16 105S with a sticker starting that it's too be a temporarily used tyre and not to exceed 220 kmph.
What bothers me is the low sidewall height of the 19 inch tires which are prone to damages and side wall cuts on taking a pothole too hard.

I spoke with a knowledgeable guy at Tata Motors and he said that the XM came shod with 16 inch tyres.

Could knowledgeable people please guide me as to which tyre specifically should I buy to replace the 19 inch rims? I am of the opinion that 19 inch alloys should be replaced buy 16 inch Steel rims and as long as it is safe (the person at Tata said that the ABS or handling wouldn't be affected), I'm okay with plain jane looking Steel rims - more of a form over function person.

The ideas of switching to Steel Rims (16" )was also endorsed by another person who has been a prominent name in the national rally circuit for a while, has driven thousands of kilometres competing in Ramires rallies in superbly modified Gypsies in unforgiving terrain like Spiti & Ladakh & has run his Safari 2.2 VTT for 2.4 lac kilometres on 16 inch Steel rrims, and is on his third set of tyres. He was of the opinion that the steel rims, though a tad heavy, ran true and were able to take far more punishment than alloys. Given the state of roads post monsoon 16 inch Steel rims and the resultant taller sidewall tires would not only provide a cushioning effect but also be able to take in their stride the odd pothole or side scrape and add to the pliant right quality.

My query is that the 16 inch tyre (spare/ stepney) looks just marginally smaller than the 19 inch tyre and I feel that the ground clearance may be affected. Does the XM ride lower that XT/XTA as a result of this, or have I got the configuration wrong?

My query is

1. What should be the profile of tyre that I should buy for the 16 inch Steel rims?
2. Which tyre in specific - H/T or AT? I am inclined towards Bridgestones, but open to suggestions.

An early answer would be most helpful that because I have to travel another 1400km after installing these tyres today.

Cheers !
Ironhide is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2021, 08:14   #5999
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhide View Post
My query is

1. What should be the profile of tyre that I should buy for the 16 inch Steel rims?
2. Which tyre in specific - H/T or AT? I am inclined towards Bridgestones, but open to suggestions.

An early answer would be most helpful that because I have to travel another 1400km after installing these tyres today.

Cheers !
The 19 inch tyre is very susceptible to damage as we have seen many times here.

The overall diameter of the spare is the same as running tyres. You can use the same size incase you want to change to 16. I would recommend a decent looking set of alloys instead of steel wheels.

As far as tyre brands are concerned, if you like Bridgestone go for it, they are usually more expensive, you also can look at any of the alternative brands based on a availability. Pattern should be road biased (HT) else the ride will suffer and vehicle will not steer properly.
Kosfactor is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th September 2021, 09:08   #6000
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpyder View Post
Pretty much set my eyes on Hexa XT now. It has been brought out in this thread and other reviews, there is an issue about 19 inch wheels with low profile tyres and the bumpy rides +cost factor (when replacing).

Out of curiosity i began a search for 19 inches replacements. Amazon, Michelin, Yokohama - no website seems to stock this size. Yokohama has max of 18 inches. That means tyre /wheel replacement is not only going to be costly, but also pretty difficult to source. Amazon has some stock costing upwards of 20k a piece!!

My questions now :-
Is it possible/ advisable to downsize (to 16 inches like in xe/xm) at the time of delivery - without voiding the warranty.

As discussed in this thread, are the suspensions actually built to withstand the stress due to low profile and large size tyres?
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvldvr View Post
I feel there should be no issues in downsizing to 235/70/ R16. If you see the tyre size conversion charts, overall change in Dia with this downsize is within the normally permissible limits. However, how you the manage the replacements is the question.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
The 19 inch tyre is very susceptible to damage as we have seen many times here.

The overall diameter of the spare is the same as running tyres. You can use the same size incase you want to change to 16. I would recommend a decent looking set of alloys instead of steel wheels.

As far as tyre brands are concerned, if you like Bridgestone go for it, they are usually more expensive, you also can look at any of the alternative brands based on a availability. Pattern should be road biased (HT) else the ride will suffer and vehicle will not steer properly.
Many thanks for your timely input !

I have calculated the change in the height, width and circumference is within 1%. The fact that Tata themselves provide a spare tyre of this size and allow it to be run up to speed the 120 km per hour is reassuring. I don't mind installing steel wheels as long as they do their job well and give me assurance and peace of mind. Please do let me know if there are any glaringly astute observations on this.

Bridgestone it is then !

Cheers !
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Hexa : Official Review-screenshot_20210915090056.png  

Tata Hexa : Official Review-img_20210915_011315_294.jpg  

Last edited by Ironhide : 15th September 2021 at 09:28. Reason: Grammar !
Ironhide is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed