Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st June 2022, 11:22   #6151
BHPian

Re: Tata Hexa : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASHUJNMC View Post
Enjoy! When I was looking, there were 2 SantaFe 2015 available. One was owned by some Mysore guy, and another at a dealer on airport road, which was not in great condition so left it..

I hope you had another option and got a very good deal.
Happy motoring.
Thank you. Yeah, couldn't find any suitable ones in BLR. Have brought one from my hometown in Odisha(2015, 4WD) that has run 65k and all mechanical, electrical, OBD checks at ASC came out ok.

The ones listed in BLR were ridiculously overpriced, mileage reset(One from Mysore listed by BLR dealer as 76k run, had actually 1.92L kms on it and was a demo vehicle to begin with )
Old 24th June 2022, 11:56   #6152
BHPian

Hello BHPians,

I have finally taken the plunge and replaced my 2018 Nexon XZ+ with a 2018 Hexa XTA. Did my due diligence before the purchase and everything looked fine. Once I completed the first 200 km, I noticed low tire pressure in one of the wheels. Took it to the nearby pump, where it was diagnosed to be a crack in the alloy. For the moment, replaced the damaged wheel with the spare wheel, which also happens to be a 19-inch alloy. I am not sure if the crack was there when I bought the car or was it because of my mishandling during the first 200 km (highly unlikely). Anyways, I am not losing my sleep over this but have 2 options:
a) Get a new 19-inch alloy to replace the existing one- TASS insurance person says that only alloys are not covered in insurance (sound BS to me). I am yet to check with the insurance provider- GoDigit in this case. Worst case I will have to shell out nearly 16k for this (checked on Boodmo).
b) For the same money (or even less)- get a 16-inch steel wheel, along with a new tire, and put it up as a spare wheel. 16-inch steel wheels are listed for around 4k on Boodmo and the tire should be around 8-8.5k.

I do understand the limitations with 19-inch wheels and will always have to be super careful with them. The car is currently running fairly new (under 10k km) Pirelli's and I don't want to dump them. Maybe I will drive for another 30-35k km and change to 16-inch wheels. I am still not sure about this. Given this thought, I am more inclined towards going with the second option, as it will align better with my long-term objective. Any thoughts and recommendations will be highly appreciated.

People who have moved from 19 to 16-inch wheels- can you please mention all the pros and cons. I am assuming the ride quality will further improve. 19-inch wheels look beautiful though

p.s.- can anyone confirm if I am looking at the right steel wheel on Boodmo. Just want to be 100% sure before ordering. https://boodmo.com/catalog/part-assy..._wil-33016025/
tarik.arora is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th June 2022, 13:25   #6153
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarik.arora View Post
People who have moved from 19 to 16-inch wheels- can you please mention all the pros and cons. I am assuming the ride quality will further improve. 19-inch wheels look beautiful though
I would recommend you go with the second option - change the broken rim to a 16 inch steel one, and when the time comes to change the remaining tires, change everything to 16 inch alloys and tires.

Advantages are tension-free driving over ANY kind of road, better ride, and cheaper tire replacement with a MUCH greater variety of types (HT, AT etc.) and brands to choose from.

My XMA Downtown edition came with 16 inch alloys and looks pretty ok, though not as nice as the 19 inchers. Small price to pay for a host of benefits though!
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Hexa : Official Review-whatsapp-image-20220122-10.58.42-am-1.jpeg  

vijaysrk is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 24th June 2022, 17:29   #6154
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The car is currently running fairly new (under 10k km) Pirelli's and I don't want to dump them.
Congratulations, Tarik - that's one of India's most VFM vehicles.

For now, if the spare wheel is also an alloy, continue with them.

Long term, my pref is always 16" over 19". Much more abuse friendly, better ride comfort, and cheaper to replace tyres. I have 16" on my Storme, and have done 1.13L so far, total. Absolutely fine size.

If the Pirelli's are good, sell them - you can recover at least some of the cost of the replacement. And if 4 alloys are good, you can sell them too. But if selling the alloys, sell them as a set.
condor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th June 2022, 17:41   #6155
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijaysrk View Post
I would recommend you go with the second option - change the broken rim to a 16 inch steel one, and when the time comes to change the remaining tires, change everything to 16 inch alloys and tires.
Thank you so much. I am also allured towards the 2nd option. Will probably get a 16-inch steel rim and tire. When the time comes for replacement, will make a complete shift towards 16-inch wheels. They will be a lot more abuse friendly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Congratulations, Tarik - that's one of India's most VFM vehicles.

If the Pirelli's are good, sell them - you can recover at least some of the cost of the replacement. And if 4 alloys are good, you can sell them too. But if selling the alloys, sell them as a set.
Thank you so much for the wishes. It was a completely heart-over-mind call. Hope the Hexa serves me well. This thought briefly crossed my mind- I am sure I will be able to sell 4 alloys and Pirelli tires as a set- This should, to a large extent, recover the cost of 16-inch wheels. My guess is, that new 16-inch alloys should cost under 40k and another 30-35k for tires. I am still mentally debating as this again will be a big change. My family is yet to come to terms with the fact that I exchanged my well-maintained Nexon XZ+ Diesel for a discontinued car, without even the need for a seven-seater
tarik.arora is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2022, 11:25   #6156
BHPian

Quote:
I do understand the limitations with 19-inch wheels and will always have to be super careful with them. The car is currently running fairly new (under 10k km) Pirelli's and I don't want to dump them. Maybe I will drive for another 30-35k km and change to 16-inch wheels. I am still not sure about this. Given this thought, I am more inclined towards going with the second option, as it will align better with my long-term objective. Any thoughts and recommendations will be highly appreciated.
I once evaluated a used Hexa where the owner had downsized to a smaller 17" Alloys instead of 16" steels. Can you not do that?

17" tyres will be cheaper too compared to 19" ones.
sunilch is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2022, 12:04   #6157
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijaysrk View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Long term, my pref is always 16" over 19". Much more abuse friendly, better ride comfort, and cheaper to replace tyres. I have 16" on my Storme, and have done 1.13L so far, total. Absolutely fine size
So guys, some action over the weekend. I was in Noida at my parent's place for some work. I was browsing through comments on some of the Hexa Facebook groups and saw a post by someone looking to sell his 19-inch OEM alloys, as he also moved to 16-inch wheels. Got in touch with him and got 1 alloy for 6k. This solves the short-term problem. Since the existing tires are nearly new, will use them for around 30k km and then shift to 16-inch alloys and tires. I will just have to be careful for the next 30k km. I hope I am able to sail through this period.

Took the opportunity to drive the seller's XT 4X4 with 16-inch wheels. The ride was certainly much cushier (not sure if this is even a word?).

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunilch View Post
I once evaluated a used Hexa where the owner had downsized to a smaller 17" Alloys instead of 16" steels. Can you not do that?

17" tyres will be cheaper too compared to 19" ones.
Yes, 17" wheels are also an option, however, 16" should be further abuse friendly. I remember Toyota ditching 17" in favor of 16" wheels. Anyways, once I lose those awesome looking 19" wheels, it shouldn't matter much. I will surely go for alloys as steel wheels kind of impact the complete look of the vehicle. Thanks for the suggestion.
tarik.arora is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th June 2022, 08:18   #6158
BHPian

With the launch of the new Scorpio and the kind of interest it is generating, can’t help but think Tata has missed the opportunity with the Hexa. Couldn’t they have just refreshed it with a few more features and a mild facelift???
studedude is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th June 2022, 10:23   #6159
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by studedude View Post
With the launch of the new Scorpio and the kind of interest it is generating, can’t help but think Tata has missed the opportunity with the Hexa. Couldn’t they have just refreshed it with a few more features and a mild facelift???
Well, serves them right for abandoning the BoF segment.

For safety and with an eye for the future, they said. Pratap Bose even went on online duels defending the decision and saying BoF has no place in the future. Guess who took centre stage in the launch of the Scorpio.
DicKy is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 10th July 2022, 23:05   #6160
BHPian

Quote:
Got in touch with him and got 1 alloy for 6k. This solves the short-term problem. Since the existing tires are nearly new, will use them for around 30k km and then shift to 16-inch alloys and tires. I will just have to be careful for the next 30k km. I hope I am able to sail through this period.
Belated congratulations tarik.arora for getting home the beast. That's a sweet price for one alloy. I have myself been looking for a spare alloy but have not been successful.

May I suggest that you install an internal TPMS in your wheels? IMHO, they are a must with those 19 inchers.

Quote:

Took the opportunity to drive the seller's XT 4X4 with 16-inch wheels. The ride was certainly much cushier (not sure if this is even a word?).
The ride with 16 inchers is much more pliant. They offer peace of mind and are easy on the pocket too. However, the handling of the vehicle does suffer at highway speeds. Increased body roll is evident. If you want to tread on uncharted places, 16 inchers are a good choice. If your use is mostly restricted to highways and occasionally on broken roads, stock size or upsize to 255/55 R19 may also serve the purpose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by studedude View Post
I echo your thoughts brother. Bad decision by Tata to shelve this platform.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DicKy View Post
Well, serves them right for abandoning the BoF segment.
Pratap Bose even went on online duels defending the decision and saying BoF has no place in the future. Guess who took centre stage in the launch of the Scorpio.
I have a feeling that Tata motors may come back with a BoF vehicle sometime, but it might be my wishful thinking. If the Scorpio-N is a success, which it most likely will be, Tata motors may be forced to reconsider their decision. Hopefully I will get a choice between Tata BoF and Scorpio-N Ver 2 when I upgrade from Hexa.
Prashant1286 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2022, 09:39   #6161
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prashant1286 View Post
I have a feeling that Tata motors may come back with a BoF vehicle sometime, but it might be my wishful thinking. If the Scorpio-N is a success, which it most likely will be, Tata motors may be forced to reconsider their decision. Hopefully I will get a choice between Tata BoF and Scorpio-N Ver 2 when I upgrade from Hexa.
How I wish it was true.

Sadly Tata is firmly in the path of leaping towards BEVs. They are not even properly focussing on the powertrains (except the 1.5l/1.6l?) petrol) let alone a new BoF platform or bringing back an old one. Have given up.

Only possibility is if Tata decides to use the D7 platform and Ingenium engines from JLR, given that JLR has announced it will be an electric only brand by 2025. A BoF Safari or Sierra? Dream.

Tata just watched as the Sumo market was taken away by the Bolero and the Safari by Scorpio. They are not even perturbed by the Thar success. Even a remotely rivalling Sierra EV concept is nowhere to be seen.

Last edited by DicKy : 11th July 2022 at 09:41.
DicKy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2022, 12:29   #6162
BHPian

Suddenly over the past 1 month, there is a spurt in Hexa reviews on YouTube, mostly from second/third rung auto channels. Is it an indication of a possible reentry to BoF vehicles by TML? Maybe they are trying to gauge responses. Just my thoughts
Old 15th July 2022, 16:04   #6163
BHPian

I have also seen few of these videos on YouTube. Basically these are long term reviews based upon owner’s experiences. Can’t claim about their creditability as these videos are from small time YouTubers. But I have also seen long term ownership reviews of other cars from Motor Octane.

But personally I would like to see fresh next Gen Hexa just in line with New Scorpio.
Old 18th July 2022, 15:59   #6164
BHPian

I guess I still have the query regarding the alloy and wheel size.
Let me summarize my ask
  1. Option 1 : Continue with the stock alloy 19inch and spend close to 15k per tyre
  2. Option 2 : Change the alloys to 17inch. Open question Price of tyres and savings compared to 19inch tyres ? and Most importantly ride quality and how compatbile with the car in long run ?
  3. Option 3 : Change the alloys to 16inch. Open question Price of tyres and savings compared to 19inch tyres ? and Most importantly ride quality and how compatbile with the car in long run ?

More important aspect for me is the compatibility with car. I mean whats good whats bad analysis.
Old 19th July 2022, 07:48   #6165
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by peus017 View Post
I guess I still have the query regarding the alloy and wheel size.
Let me summarize my ask
  1. Option 1 : Continue with the stock alloy 19inch and spend close to 15k per tyre
  2. Option 2 : Change the alloys to 17inch. Open question Price of tyres and savings compared to 19inch tyres ? and Most importantly ride quality and how compatbile with the car in long run ?
  3. Option 3 : Change the alloys to 16inch. Open question Price of tyres and savings compared to 19inch tyres ? and Most importantly ride quality and how compatbile with the car in long run ?

More important aspect for me is the compatibility with car. I mean whats good whats bad analysis.
I switched over to 16" plati alloys + michelin tyres on day 1 of purchase of my XT 4x4.

Reasons - Better ride quality, much lower cost of replacement, significantly better availabality and wider choice of brands/ types (AT/ HT) of tyres, and most importantly - peace of mind, as the low profile 19" tyres/ alloys are prone to side wall cuts/ bends.

Compatibiliy is not an issue at all (i have run my hexa for some 33k kms now.

Regards

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks