Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 19th January 2017, 12:27   #871
Senior - BHPian

Re: Hexa is just too expensive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanjohn123 View Post
The only desirable variant in Hexa is the XT and that is clearly over-priced. I'm really doubtful why would anyone want to pay more than 15 Lakhs for a TATA no matter how good it is.

I don't care about inflation etc, When it comes to spending 16-17 Lakhs, why would anyone look beyond a Toyota Innova ?

Where is TATA's brand image compared to mighty TOYOTA's ?
Sorry to quote your post. This is what most will say and hence..

Should we be paid less salary coz we are ... than others?

Read someone comparing Linea's to the 2.2's engine. One reason Linea didnt sell is coz of that!

Innova 2.8G is a nice one . Its costs 19.5 lac here at Tvm. I really liked the car except that its noiser for a 2017 car. ( I am yet to TD an Hexa).
jkdas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th January 2017, 12:36   #872
BHPian

Re: Tata Hexa : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by roby_dk View Post
my conclusion is Hexa's biggest rival is TATA not XUV/Crysta as most of the members are against Tata not Hexa.
True, Perhaps Tata could have branded it as "Hexa- powered by Land rover" (ala Avventura - by abarth), people would have lapped it up. "A land rover at <20Lakhs!" against "a Tata at >15Lakhs!"

Maybe Tata need a separate brand for their Suv/Muv/Cuv/Lifestyle product portfolio. Else, no matter how good a product they make, people's perception is so biased against them (ofcourse, it is Tata's own doing), nothing will sell worth more than 5 lakhs.
Nav-i-gator is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 19th January 2017, 12:42   #873
BHPian

Seeing lot of statements saying the crysta is reliable. Well, I would say the innova (old gen) was, crysta isn't and the only reason being there was not a niggles thread for the Innova but the crysta has one with plenty of issues being reported by owners.

Secondly the crysta is more dearer than the Hexa and when you pay more, you expect more, be it features or space or performance.

Finally, we doubting the reliability of Hexa (and giving that title just to the crysta as yet) seems to be too early in the game. The hexa is just launched and is yet to prove it Mettle. Maybe other members can shed some light but how "unreliable" was the aria? Did it see too many and too frequent breakdowns?

The XUV wasn't niggle free either. Was it reliable? Maybe yes, maybe not but it doesnt mean it's not a worthy product. The hexa could turn out to be one too and that is something what time will tell us.

The hexa is a BOC build like the innova and will obviously be heavier than the XUV which is a unibody. So not sure on the fuss around this.

On the hexa not "undercutting" the XUV, the XUV has been around since 2011 which is like 5 years and a newer product coming even at the same price isn't bad if you ask me. Adding to it, in these 5 years XUV hasn't added anything major apart from a midlife facelift though now it may come with the micro hybrid tech which again will help it get some concessions and further undercut the hexa.

We complain that TATA should have come out with more variants and the AT AWD not being available but the XUV too had only 2 variants initially - W6 and W8. W4 and W10 were added in later after the facelift and the AWD and AMT also weren't launched initially itself (please no brickbats if I am a lil wrong here). So maybe like the XUV, we will see another winner as well. Yes the landscape since the XUV launch has changed and probably thats why we have the AT and AWD variants of the hexa in the initial launch itself and maybe depending on the response we "may" have more variants and the AT AWD as well.

EDIT - My uncle had a Indica V2 until recently when he gave it to someone after around 10-12 years of ownership. I had asked him on how his experience with TASS was and he did not have a single complaint. he said he did have a pleasant experience. So most likely the TASS experience too differs for different people and maybe even different cities pretty much like most of the other manufacturers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
Launch venues, dates and timings in other parts of the country:
Is this open to everyone or just invitees?

Last edited by centaur : 19th January 2017 at 12:47.
centaur is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 19th January 2017, 12:44   #874
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prakash_ajp View Post
I have seen a few people doing that, but I am not one of them. There are also enough people here in this forum who think that they are the right ones to make the decision when it comes to cars.
With the risk of going I would add that, as more informed than our family members, it is imperative that we (the car enthusiasts) make the decision for the car.
I for sure took everyone's opinion but I explained the merits and demerits of the choices and made them realize the rationale behind the decision. More often than not, the decision and your research is respected and accepted.

The colour though is completely chosen by Wifey and I don't dare to argue to that.

Coming back to the topic, it really boils down to individual preferences. As pointed out by some and also the account of some of my colleagues, sunroof is rarely used feature (one of my colleague has used it once in 4 years of ownership as a part of celebration when India won the world cup in Mumbai) but the boot space is a standard and most important feature for any family trips.

Moreover, sunroof can be retro-fitted in aftermarket (fit and finish aside) but to increase the boot space when you have a full-house only option remains is the overhead carrier. I agree Hexa does not come with acres of boot space with all 3 rows up but 2 decently sized cabin bags is an easy fit (unlike XUV).
teemus is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 19th January 2017, 13:26   #875
BHPian

Re: Hexa: Limited Slip differentials at both axles or not? ESP & LSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by avinash_clt View Post
  • Does the Hexa actually have mechanical LSDs at both front and rear axles?
  • If there are LSDs, have they been retained in the top variant also which has ESP?
Pertinent questions, Avinash!

As far as my understanding, the XT4x4 comes with 'Torque on Demand' 4x4 transfer case which transfers a certain percentage of drive torque to front axle when need arises, based on input from slippage sensors on individual wheels and speed of vehicle. This is entirely automated when, I suppose, the right drive mode is selected. However, this system only commands torque distribution between rear and front axles- like a centre differential- not individual wheels.

The ESP system works on keeping the vehicle stable by applying brakes to individual wheels when it detects slippage. The ESP would brake one wheel that is slipping, transferring all the axle torque to the other wheel that has grip. In this scenario an LSD would be redundant because the ESP will achieve electronically what an LSD is supposed to do mechanically.

In case of models without ESP, LSD on rear differential would obviously be useful. Safari 4x4 doesn't have ESP and comes with rear LSD.

In case of the 4x2 models, irrespective of ESP or not, LSD on front axle shouldn't be there as Hexa is RWD. Therefore, the front wheels should be on freewheeling hubs without any differential as there is no drive to the front axle. I think the information regarding LSD on front differential might be incorrect.

Generally speaking, LSD on rear differential is of maximum benefit on trucks with selectable 4x4 as they are RWD and the LSD can come into play even when the 4x4 is not engaged. On the other hand, LSD on the front doesn't make much sense in a selectable 4x4. In extreme off-roading vehicles, it is more useful to have differential locks that can be engaged manually on both front and rear axles. Force Gurkha 4x4 offers this setup.

I hope this is helpful, cheers!
param22k is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 19th January 2017, 13:30   #876
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadilicious View Post
The pricing is apt. It is unfair to expect TATA to do a Tiago with every launch.
Well said. I wish people would try to see that Tata or Mahindra are also here to make profits. It is not only subjected to big T or South Korean H only. Being logical seems to be out fashion these days

Last edited by Eddy : 19th January 2017 at 13:56. Reason: Quoting a long post hampers readability for our small screen users.
speedguy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th January 2017, 14:34   #877
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nav-i-gator View Post
Maybe Tata need a separate brand for their Suv/Muv/Cuv/Lifestyle product portfolio.
I absolutely agree. TML could've made a separate luxury car division like Toyota has done with Lexus. The product management team seems bereft of innovative ideas, and it angers me. Someone mentioned that even senior staff at TML personally feel that a 15L+ Tata vehicle seems like a hard sell. They're aware of the problem, but their inability to come up with or implement solutions is inexplicable. Simply talking a lot through youtube videos is not going to change consumer perception. It hardly ever works. They seem to be going with the flow and hoping that things would turn out better than the Aria experience. Brand position once created in the prospect's (consumer) mind is very hard, if not impossible, to change. In such a scenario, it makes simple sense to start afresh. A new brand gives the chance to position it in the consumer's mind with aggressive marketing.

Example: Reviewers are saying things like, "The fit and finish is better than what we've come to expect from TATA". This doesn't help. A reviewer saying, "XYZ has been launched as a luxury brand by TML, and it shows with the quality of interiors, fit and finish". That sounds so much better.
param22k is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th January 2017, 14:40   #878
GTO
Team-BHP Support

In this segment, the XUV500 & Hexa are both well-priced. If you ask me for my opinion, it's the following three cars that are overpriced:

- Scorpio: The S10 4x4 costs over 17 lakhs on the road in Mumbai, while the AT goes to 18.50 lakhs . That kind of money for a 16 year old body style & cramped interiors is simply too much money.

- Creta: Nice urban SUV, but 11 - 18 lakhs for it is 1 - 2 lakhs overpriced. Obviously, the market thinks its worth the price.

- Safari Storme: A workhorse even more antique than the Scorpio. Between it & the Hexa, the price difference in the entry variant is merely 1 lakh. The same between the top variant is ~2 lakhs. You'd have to be a real Safari fan to buy one right now over the Hexa which is so much superior in nearly every way.

I find the Duster's current pricing to be excessive as well for what is an old SUV with motel-inspired interiors.

The XUV500 & Hexa are actually offering more value-for-money than most of their immediate competitors.
GTO is offline   (39) Thanks
Old 19th January 2017, 14:41   #879
BHPian

Any word on when the deliveries would start ? Havent seen anything about this anywhere.
Old 19th January 2017, 14:41   #880
BHPian

Hello All

Great discussion on pricing – funny and logical in almost equal measure.

Pricing is in line with expectations - of course I am referring to sensible expectations.
Expecting a car of such size, build, interiors and features to be priced 1-2 lakhs lower than the other design-monstrosity is simply wishful thinking.

With all due respect to everyone’s opinions and likes and dislikes, the truth is – cash registers determines whether a product is successful or not.
However, cash registers do not determine whether a product is good or not.
Although there is a strong correlation between a good product and market success, but there are cases when good products have failed.

For me, market success of a car has no play in decision making. If I like the product, I’ll buy it.
Probably that’s why I bought the 1st gen Jazz, when everyone perceived it as – overpriced, low features, useless magic seats, too many cubbyholes etc. And 6 years down I realize what a wonderful decision it was.

Now, to me, Hexa is a better vehicle in every respect.
It will be tough to beat the cheetah in niggles, just go look at that thread, about 300 pages !!!
If not anything else, anyone with even half an eye for design and aesthetics will choose the Hexa over the claw-handles.
I know people say that looks are subjective and beauty lies in the eyes of the beholder. Somehow, I hear such things only from people who drive really ugly cars.

Will I buy the Hexa –
Most likely yes. Once I decide between the Elantra and Hexa - similar priced, different uses, one is so beautiful, and the other is so butch.
I had TD’ed the Hexa in Dec, and promptly booked the XTA. And now looking at the pricing I am wondering if I should go for XTA or XMA or the sexy Elantra.

cheers
lazy

Last edited by lazy : 19th January 2017 at 14:43.
lazy is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 19th January 2017, 14:51   #881
Senior - BHPian

Absolutely agree with GTO on the prices.

I beleive with Hexa now in the market, Tata should reduce the price of Safari Storme. Anyway it does not sell. Maybe bringing the prices to a more justifiable level (in comparison to their own product) will help them get a few Stormes off the shelf.

I do not think Hyundai will bother with Creta. It sells anyways and I also feel that probably the target customer is different although there will be some cross shopping.

Last edited by vibbs : 19th January 2017 at 14:54.
Old 19th January 2017, 14:52   #882
BHPian

I had booked the XT 4X4, expecting a sub 21 lakh on road pricing in Bangalore. It comes to about 22 lakh now, so I am changing the booking to the XM that is priced around 17.5 in Bangalore. I guess I could sacrifice the AWD, Side/curtain airbags, art leather seats, cruise control and sub woofer for about 4.5 lakh.

Has anyone seen the XM yet? Any spy shots available?

Last edited by wanderlust : 19th January 2017 at 15:05. Reason: safety added
wanderlust is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th January 2017, 15:01   #883
Senior - BHPian

Surprised to see the lower variants have 16" steel wheels. Won't that look tiny on a bulky UV like Hexa? Even the 19" alloys look sunken into the huge wheel! This info is from the Brochure from Tata Motors website
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Hexa : Official Review-hexa-wheel-tyres.jpg  

Last edited by Durango Dude : 19th January 2017 at 15:05.
Old 19th January 2017, 15:17   #884
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust View Post
I had booked the XT 4X4, expecting a sub 21 lakh on road pricing in Bangalore. It comes to about 22 lakh now, so I am changing the booking to the XM that is priced around 17.5 in Bangalore. I guess I could sacrifice the AWD, Side/curtain airbags, art leather seats, cruise control and sub woofer for about 4.5 lakh.

Has anyone seen the XM yet? Any spy shots available?
If you can sacrifice the AWD, then why not the 4x2 XT variant?

It has the safety net of 6 Airbags and apart from the additional features you have mentioned, the XT has the 19" wheels as well.

Since the XT 4x4 is 22 lakhs OTR Bangalore, the XT 4x2 should be very well within your initial budget of 21 lakhs.
//M is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 19th January 2017, 15:20   #885
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
In this segment, the XUV500 & Hexa are both well-priced. If you ask me for my opinion, it's the following three cars that are overpriced:

- Scorpio
- Creta
- Safari Storme

The XUV500 & Hexa are actually offering more value-for-money than most of their immediate competitors.
Bang on! XUV and Hexa are best value for money products right now and one should go for either of them based on personal preference. I do not understand what do 4X2 versions of Scorpio and Safari/Storme offer that is better than XUV or Hexa.
sourabhzen is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed