Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 22nd January 2017, 01:03   #946
BHPian

Re: Tata Hexa : Official Review

Thank you Guys., for your feedback on my Previous TataHEXA Mod.

>>Tried little more.. Tweaking On its Front, to give It more Bulkiness than to its rear.

*Aim here was to keep the Mods as minimum as possible.
(Pic courtesy: CarandBike.com)
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Hexa : Official Review-dsc001.1a.jpg  

Last edited by kalleo4 : 22nd January 2017 at 01:05.
Old 22nd January 2017, 10:17   #947
Senior - BHPian

Do we have total booking numbers they received? I see some members are booking and few are cancelling.
Old 22nd January 2017, 10:50   #948
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
Ok now this is complete bull...

Aadya used to have good staff members and so did Prerana. Concorde was the worst followed by KHT. Wondering where things changed.

BTW, are you seriously considering the Vx 4x4? Looks like quite a few people here are, after experiencing the Hexa first hand.
If the hexa results in increasing safari srorme sales that will be one of the greatest ironies in Indian automotive history
Old 22nd January 2017, 12:25   #949
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Took a short test drive of the XTA yesterday at Prerana BTM Layout.
The SA apologized upfront for not providing a longer one because of the demand. Said can be arranged after 2 weeks. Felt that was fair enough.

The car was very good. I was able to get into position immediately and felt very comfortable driving it in traffic and the narrow lanes. I am not used to a handrest and so it didnt bother me.

It is a great honest attempt by Tata but I feel it will not be a big success. People will compare it to Innova and it might loose out as a whole package.

Crysta GXA vs Hexa XMA : For a 1.5 lacs difference in price, I think people will lean towards the Crysta. Feature wise they are pretty much the same.

Crysta ZXA vs Hexa XTA : Both are fully loaded and Hexa might have slight advantage even. There is also a 4 lac price advantage for Hexa. But the question is how many people will put in 21 lacs for the Hexa.

My take is that it will pull some sales from XUV initially. Then taper off. It will not make any difference to Crysta. What they should have done is kept the 3 lac price advantage for the XM/XMA as well against the Crysta GX/GXA.
m8002? is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2017, 21:46   #950
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by parsh View Post
5. Articulation is damn good.
Specially for such a heavy elephant that it looks like and a Van/CrossOver at that as experienced in the off-road experience. Sitting inside it does feel if one will topple but it keeps its cool and takes you through. XUV500 and Crysta will never be able to take on this. The 40 degress banking was something to experience near-toppling which though not related to articulation, XUV500 and Crysta may not match up.
If the XUV and Crysta have simillar (or better) center of gravity and track width, they also will be able to achieve this. What is special or specific to the Hexa on this regard?

Last edited by Guna : 22nd January 2017 at 21:55.
Guna is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2017, 21:52   #951
Distinguished - BHPian

At a Tata stockyard in Pune.

Sky Grey, Arizona Blue (TD car), Tungsten Silver and the elusive Pearl White.

Credit to Arvind & KSD Rao for the short video and pictures.
RavenAvi is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2017, 22:44   #952
BHPian

We are looking for an upgrade to the Ertiga. Our requirement is a comfortable 6 seater with an auto transmission. The Ertiga has been a reliable and decently comfortable 6 seater. Innova was beyond our budget, XUV500's 3rd row was cramped and hence was looking forward to the Hexa.

Visited KHT Motors, Bangalore to take a look and a test drive. As another family was checking out the 1st row seating, my wife and myself decided to start from the 3rd row. The SA helped us in by folding down the 2nd row bench seats and we squeezed in - not an easy entry for the elderly - second row is best suited for them. Having seated ourselves asked the SA to put up the bench seats in their normal position and give us max leg room for the third row. We both ar 5'4 - no issues with thigh support, back rest angle and head room. Problem is - there is no place to stretch out your legs under the second row. Surely this is a simple requirement especially in a 6/7 seater - our humble Ertiga has it. This turned us off.

We then ventured into the 2nd to seats. Very comfy, good storage spaces, sun screen and good leg space. One can stretch the legs easily under the 1st row seats and relax !!

Finally in the driver's seat - boy what comfort. Excellent seats, was able to quickly find my comfort spot for the steering and pedals, good high position seating. But .. some more disappointment. The arm rest is unusable for me. The black plastics around the handbrake was not as premium as everywhere else.

Finally went for a test drive in an XTA. Excellent drivability for such a large car - easy manoeuvrability. U turns to be planned. Loved the sport mode, kept switching back to it from the boring normal mode. Breaking was satisfactory - no drama or pitching forward feeling. Sound system good, I am not an audiophile so not able to make out any exceptional capability.

Finally the price 18.71 OTT for the XMA - the variant which we were targeting. At least a lakh more than our perceived value for the car. But this more because of the high life tax prevelant in Karnataka- 2.88 Laks for the XMA. This is at least a lakh more than in other states.

The deal breaker for us is the uncomfortable 3rd row seating. We use it extensively and in the Hexa it is not a good place to be. Disappointed that TATA could not engineer this better.
Old 22nd January 2017, 22:59   #953
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krish11 View Post
We are looking for an upgrade to the Ertiga. Our requirement is a comfortable 6 seater with an auto transmission.
The deal breaker for us is the uncomfortable 3rd row seating. We use it extensively and in the Hexa it is not a good place to be. Disappointed that TATA could not engineer this better.
I assume you adjusted the middle row bench to optimize third row legroom. If the seat is pushed back fully, third row leg space will obviously suffer.

Why didn't you check out the 6 seat variant with captain seats in the middle row? The empty space between the two seats is perfect to stretch your legs. I am 5 foot 9 and I found it to be very acceptable and in fact better than Innova Crysta. Also, The middle row comfort of the 6 seat Hexa is just as good as the front seats, if not better.
Old 22nd January 2017, 23:04   #954
BHPian

No pun intended. Apologies. Been wondering how did they engineer the passenger foot well. Many of us as teenagers/ few as kids remember this famous Safari ad. Possible that the designer responsible took cue of this unique sitting style & incorporated it.

I still am not able to take this of my mind.

As far as the bookings go, it now is a bubble. There is a sea of difference between pre-launch bookings & confirmed delivery. People of taken advantage of the initial 11k refundable scheme & backed out.

Hexa now is available for online booking too - https://bookonline.tatamotors.com/bo...exa?ref=hexaLP

Last edited by m3_07 : 22nd January 2017 at 23:08. Reason: typo
Old 22nd January 2017, 23:04   #955
BHPian

Quote:
If you are looking for a 6 seater, the 2nd row Captain seat version has 2 advantages,
a. Ingress/egress through the middle row gap is a walk through
b. The person sitting in the 3rd row at the middle has acres of space to stretch the legs.
(so basically 5 people in supreme comfort with additional space for kids)

But yes, if there are 6 full sized adults - then the problem you highlighted will still be relevant.
anthiltg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2017, 00:55   #956
BHPian

Disclaimer: These are my personal opinion and I mean no disrespect to others opinions or thoughts.

We are looking for 6/7 seater as our 7 year old humble Punto is becoming small and it is very difficult to go out in one car with entire family.

We zeroed on Pajero couple of years back but dropped the idea as it was above our budget and family commitments didnt allow me to go for it.

Was following Hexa for long time and finally couple of weeks ago took a brief test drive of XTA.

Many things have been said about the Auto box and handling. I will not venture in to it as I found both of these qualities above par and excellent.

We paid the booking amount but mentioned that we need to test drive the XT MT and need to see the 7 seater too.

So today we test drove the XT 4X4 MT in 7 seater configuration.

And here are my thoughts:

Pros

- Ample of space inside the car, the bench seat is very comfortable. The material is top notch and you feel like seating in a luxury box.
- Audio system is good and for me it is satisfactory.
- The controls are right at your finger tips and you can mostly control the audio system from the the steering itself.
- Tested the car in Dynamic, Rough Road and Comfort mode. Found the Dynamic mode to be very lively and inspiring.
- Car had 4 adults and 2 kids, it didnt have any problems in accelerating from 60 KMPH to 110 KMPH in 6th gear. I found there was adequate torque in all the gears.
- Many people complained about slotting the car in 5th and 6th. To be honest I didnt find any issues. I just followed simple trick of pushing the gear to the right by few mm's before changing from 5th to 6th.
- The ride is very pliant and it masks the speed well.
- I felt the steering was quiet ok at low speeds and didnt find it heavy at all (May be Punto effect).
- Overall I was impressed by the car.

Cons:

- I think I figured out why the arm rest is designed that way. If you drive the MT, with the full arm rest you will not be able to slot the car in 6th and reverse gear with out hitting the arm rest again and again. I think this was realized later and they had to cut (or shorten) the arm rest for the driver.
- Unfortunately the bigger bench of 60:40 2nd row hits the middle air vent and will not tumble down completely (not a big issue for me) but as an engineer I see this as a design flaw.
- Seats not folding flat, this is also not a big issue as we will be folding the seats occasionally only.
- Shifting the gears takes some effort and they are not butter smooth. I would have wanted butter smooth gears.
- I took the test drive in the evening/night and felt that headlights should have been much stronger. But will reserve my judgement as I am coming from traditional head lamps and this is the first time I have experienced HID's.

Over all experience is very positive, I am truly impressed with auto box as it is very comfortable to drive. Mind says automatic but heart says Manual, need to decide on it.

Status as of now: will be finalizing the color and the variant in next couple of days.

One final thought, the car is awesome if you drive it with open mind and are ready to forgive some of the design flaws which are there in the interior design.

I am 5'8" and found that there is ample of space in the first row and second row for me. I can manage in the third for short journeys but truly the third row is for people who are under 5'.

Now questions comes, would I put my money on it or I would buy Innova. Personally, I would go for Hexa.

Sorry no XUV for me, there is no differentiating factor. It is too common and it is a 5 year old design.

- PK
pk_del is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2017, 06:42   #957
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
I assume you adjusted the middle row bench to optimize third row legroom. If the seat is pushed back fully, third row leg space will obviously suffer.

Why didn't you check out the 6 seat variant with captain seats in the middle row? The empty space between the two seats is perfect to stretch your legs. I am 5 foot 9 and I found it to be very acceptable and in fact better than Innova Crysta. Also, The middle row comfort of the 6 seat Hexa is just as good as the front seats, if not better.
We asked the SA to give us the max leg space possible for the 3rd row by sliding the 2nd row forward. This gave us good leg space but not the stretchable space for comfort.

The XTA we test drove was the 6 seater variant. Again the same issue here but at least there was the space between the 2nd row captain seats to stretch out legs for some comfort. But this would also mean that you angle your body and rest you back on the backrest and the side plastic cladding. Need a pillow on the side then and also work out a time share with the 6th occupant.

In summary it is a comfy 4 seater and a 6 seater for medium to short drives with compromise. Not a regular 6 seater like an Innova.
Old 23rd January 2017, 08:26   #958
BHPian

Quote:

In summary it is a comfy 4 seater and a 6 seater for medium to short drives with compromise. Not a regular 6 seater like an Innova.
Hexa's 3rd row space and seat comfort is better than Innova's. My office cabs are all Innovas, new and old both. That 3rd row is fine for kids or for somebody upto 5'6" tall. On top of this the up and down movement on rough roads is just too much in the Innova and more so in 3rd row.
Old 23rd January 2017, 09:57   #959
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
We asked the SA to give us the max leg space possible for the 3rd row by sliding the 2nd row forward. This gave us good leg space but not the stretchable space for comfort.

The XTA we test drove was the 6 seater variant. Again the same issue here but at least there was the space between the 2nd row captain seats to stretch out legs for some comfort. But this would also mean that you angle your body and rest you back on the backrest and the side plastic cladding. Need a pillow on the side then and also work out a time share with the 6th occupant.

My experience with Innova is restricted to a 1800 km long road trip in the NE states. I am 6ft and rest of the occupants were 5.5 - 6 ft tall. The road in question was plain smooth highways, broken roads, village roads, steep mountain roads, steep mountain roads with craters, etc. The car in question was a <6 month old, ~19k kms run 8-seater Innova. During the whole trip, all of us (6 excluding driver) have taken all the available seats (except driver's seat) over all possible road conditions. And none of us were comfortable in the 3rd row when the roads were bad. The pitch and bounce was real bad. I managed with a slightly compromised/cramped posture on the smooth roads.

So, my verdict after that trip. Even the "best" people mover in the market is not a comfortable 6-7 seater. The degree of compromise varies from vehicle to vehicle but is never zero.
ashis89 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2017, 10:30   #960
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by parsh View Post
5. Articulation is damn good.
a) Specially for such a heavy elephant that it looks like and a Van/CrossOver at that as experienced in the off-road experience. Sitting inside it does feel if one will topple but it keeps its cool and takes you through. XUV500 and Crysta will never be able to take on this.

b) The 40 degress banking was something to experience near-toppling which though not related to articulation, XUV500 and Crysta may not match up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
If the XUV and Crysta have simillar (or better) center of gravity and track width, they also will be able to achieve this. What is special or specific to the Hexa on this regard?
Thanks for bringing up the nice question.

Let me try address this.

a) Crysta hasn't got it in its genes technically and literally as experienced. It needs ground below all its driven wheels. Can check out some videos below too I am going to list in this post. The RWD Crysta/Innova just wont be able to take on it.

XUV500 AWD as much as experienced in small excursions in friend's XUV500 doesn't give that confidence that it can do this at all. Technically, I think it too hasn't got it in the genes though it can maybe tackle many semi off-road terrains easily like Crysta/Innova.

b) May be possible and I am more positive towards Crysta than higher rising XUV500. But needs to really be tested to see if they can handle this. But even though scary at that point at 40 degrees, the hexa was absolutely composed without a hint of toppling. However, I doubt whether it was really taken right upto the 40 degrees mark as the ground wheels would need to be right at the edge of banking for this and I think they were not exactly at that at that point as also I observed for other Hexas doing same from external point of view.

On Articulation can check this link I had seen quite sometime back
http://www.drivingline.com/articles/...tion-got-flex/

Also, check out a few videos I had seen some time back.

V1) This is probably as much off-roading Innova/Crysta can get up to

V2) The RWD Innova/Crysta needs to touch down both bases behind to be able to get over anything like this

V3) I really can't have enough laugh and understand what the owner was thinking by 4 X 4

parsh is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed