Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 25th January 2017, 15:12   #1021
BHPian

Re: Tata Hexa : Official Review

Does anyone with a confirmed booking, have a delivery date provided??? 2 months lead time seems to be a standard answer & the sales teams in any of the dealerships incidentally are unable to pick a definite date & commit
Old 25th January 2017, 15:17   #1022
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3_07 View Post
Does anyone with a confirmed booking, have a delivery date provided??? 2 months lead time seems to be a standard answer & the sales teams in any of the dealerships incidentally are unable to pick a definite date & commit
I have confirmed Platinum Silver XT 4*4 and expecting to be delivered by 2nd week of Feb 2017 and I've asked them to deliver by Feb 11 being my Son's Birthday.

Let's wait
aks_karthik is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th January 2017, 15:25   #1023
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3_07 View Post
The dealer said they are communicating the waiting period as 6 to 8 weeks for fresh bookings. People who have already booked can get the car by feb first or second week. Again, this was told to me by the dealer.

Ps: A week back we were told that a shipment of blue XTs was to be expected by jan end. Similar stories were heard from other cities. Going by this, 11k bookings should have got the cars delivered by now, jan end max. No idea why the delay.
Old 25th January 2017, 16:16   #1024
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
...A thought came to my mind. Is this an example of "Grapes are sour"?
Or developing cold feet at the last moment, maybe.
Great debate point! While the discourse should be about the product strategy of TML wrt Hexa, it has to be brought down to below the belt personal remarks on people who don't agree with you. Good masking attempt with the '?' and 'maybe' as well. Sad, but that's the reality of public debates these days. I hope you are part of the TML marketing team. That would explain the criticism of the product strategy being taken personally.

No intentions of getting into a flaming match, so I'm off the thread. Now onto the Safari technical thread to further brainstorm on my truck's niggles. Cheers!
param22k is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th January 2017, 16:29   #1025
BHPian

I was actively looking for XMA varient. I have no issues with TATA brand and was willing to consider it over XUV and Crysta.

I am bit disappointed with features and pricing. On feature front, XMA is a real stripped down version and loose out many key features including as basic as ACC, Cruise control and essential safety features like ESP, Hill hold assist compared to XUV W6AT. I am not even considering other cosmetic differences (7 inch screen etc).

XMA(15.05L ex showroom) pricing is also higher compared to XUV W6 AT (14.76 L ex showroom).

XMA is comparable to XUV W6AT and IMHO Tata has got the pricing wrong this time as well.

People have liked XT features as well as XE pricing and therefore there is a perception of VFM pricing.

I dont see paying higher price for XMA which is lacking essential features especially when you have cheaper and relatively proven option availble (XUV W6AT) with those features. With refreshed version in near future, W6 may be even more appealing.

No body has ever seen XMA interiors with such manual AC knobs, fabric seats and without those nice XTA features. Will it have a similar feel good effect like XT? Let's wait and watch.
loving_alaap is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th January 2017, 16:44   #1026
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by param22k View Post
Great debate point! While the discourse should be about the product strategy of TML wrt Hexa, it has to be brought down to below the belt personal remarks on people who don't agree with you. Good masking attempt with the '?' and 'maybe' as well. Sad, but that's the reality of public debates these days. I hope you are part of the TML marketing team. That would explain the criticism of the product strategy being taken personally.

No intentions of getting into a flaming match, so I'm off the thread. Now onto the Safari technical thread to further brainstorm on my truck's niggles. Cheers!
Sorry if I sounded offensive in any way. It was not intentional. I have been following the Hexa since the very beginning and have been observing a pattern in the comments pouring in over the past 1 year. But I am not associated with TATA in any remote manner. I haven't worked anywhere near the auto industry till date.

Regarding my profession, I am into IT consulting. I work in the brand and experience space and hence, some of observations/posts has been targeted at how can a company re-strengthen its brand, win back customer's trust.

Regarding Tata, I have been particularly interested in Tata group of companies since I was a kid. That might be a reason why I am particularly interested and trying to find a cause-effect analysis for this company. If you look at my posts, I have been vocal about product placement, pricing, marketing strategy, etc for a range of companies, both automotive and non-automotive. I have done this as form of discussion and my learning. Isn't what we all do here? We share, ask, discuss, learn, un-learn and re-learn.

I hope you understand.

PS: I had read you post about the wheel-locking in Safari. I'm sure you would have looked at the hand-brake. I have faced the same issue in my old ex-M800.

Last edited by ashis89 : 25th January 2017 at 16:47. Reason: Adding details
ashis89 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th January 2017, 18:26   #1027
BHPian

Drove XTA day before yesterday for a good half hour ,mostly over broken tarmac behind concorde motors Baner. A big for them for absolutely no restrictions on where to drive and how much to drive.

It was 3 of us in the Hexa and i was pushing it as hard as i could on the gravel and undulated road, and boy oh boy! what what composure she (Hexa) had over them in spite of the 19 " factor. I was completely blown away and my friend who has booked the Hexa was seated in the captain chair second row also felt so comfy , that he couldnt believe what kind of road i was driving (or rather punishing the Hexa).

Now comes the fun part , there was a fortuner (old gen) in front of us for say a half a km and i could not overtake as the road was really narrow and broken. And all i could see was the poor person in the middle row getting tossed up as if he were a little child. As soon as the road opened up i switched to sport mode and flew past the fortuner leaving it behind in the dust trail.

Drove it on the highway as well and came back thoroughly impressed. Another thing that impressed me was that the Hexa i drove had already clocked 4500 kms and there wasnt a single rattle coming from it even o n the worst of surface that i was pushing her on ,that speaks volumes of its build quality.

Now coming to pricing, i honestly feel that it is VFM and not premium at all and TML has charged for the features it has offered in the Hexa. How as on earth was TML gonna price the XTA for 18 lacs on road with such an expansive equipment list .I feel sad for the people who are backing out as it is costing 21 lacs appx. on road.
rosaf is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 25th January 2017, 18:45   #1028
BHPian

I got a call from the Concorde Chandanagar (Hyderabad). Looks my allotted vehicle (XT 4x2) has arrived and ready for delivery. Now, I need to decide whether to bite the bullet!

Nevertheless, my family is going to kill me on the final tab to be picked up.
anthiltg is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 25th January 2017, 19:55   #1029
Distinguished - BHPian

Deliveries commenced from today onwards.

First Hexa delivered in south India earlier today to one of my WhatsApp contacts, Syam.

Could be the first Hexa delivered pan-India (not sure).

XTA 4x2 in Arizona Blue, delivered at Prerana Motors, Bangalore.

Final OTR = Rs 21.89 lakhs, including extended warranty package and accessories worth Rs 12,000/-.

Tata Hexa : Official Review-image1.jpg

Tata Hexa : Official Review-image4.jpg

Tata Hexa : Official Review-image6.jpg

Tata Hexa : Official Review-image3.jpg

Tata Hexa : Official Review-20170125photo00020085.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillsnrains View Post
By the way, what happened to your booking? Hope you are proceeding. I am one of those who are waiting on the sidelines and waiting for Bhpian's ownership review(s).
The situation is this:

The dealership received a single XTA variant for test drives, which I have driven 6 times already. I was already sold on the car.

Then the pricing was declared, which puts the OTR at around Rs 20.5 lakh. With some essential safety features missing and at around the same pricing as the XT 4x4, I felt that it lost a bit of it's "feel-good" VFM appeal and decided to TD a manual Hexa before making my final decision.

Tata Hexa : Official Review-1.jpg

Also, the XT 4x2 is around Rs 1.8 lakhs cheaper, and gets all the safety features. I keep reading about bad ergonomics in the manual (as elaborated by GTO and others), but haven't experienced the manual variant in the flesh yet, to take a call on this.

No manual TD variant has arrived at the dealership till now, and neither have the delivery cars arrived. The dealership manager pleads his helplessness every time I phone him, saying that their money for billing the cars is all ready to be paid, but Tata hasn't given them a green signal yet.

Latest I am hearing is a Feb 7th arrival for delivery cars, but even that is not guaranteed.

We have a marriage in our extended family by end-February. Already my uncles and cousins (practically the entire family) is sold on the Innova Crysta and, if it wasn't for my constant interjections and favouring the Hexa AT highly, an Innova Crysta VX would have been standing in our garage by Dec 2016 already!

As things stand, my elder uncle has given an ultimatum - no delivery by Feb 10th and the Crysta comes home. Already they don't like Tata much and a Tata car at 20 lakhs+ is a tough pill to swallow for them, however much I praise the car.

Also, the Toyota dealer is a fast friend of his, and that is not helping matters much. He is ready to deliver the Crysta immediately, upon a single phone call.

Last edited by RavenAvi : 25th January 2017 at 20:04.
RavenAvi is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 25th January 2017, 20:31   #1030
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveOnceMore View Post
Well, a wierd though came up to my mind....Dual Zone Auto AC etc.
Comparing Hexa to an overpriced car like Creta and saying, 'look Hexa is priced brilliantly' is not right I guess.

Plus, when you are comparing Hexa to Creta for pricing, I think it is appropriate to compare Hexa to Crysta. Both products match in terms of space/seating, engines offered and essentially the segments they sell in. Point is, Innova commands a premium because of the product quality and reliability that it has proved over a decade with excellent and cost effective A.S.S. One cannot wake up suddenly and sell a product, albeit a good one, at this price point, even though they know they haven't really done well in terms of product quality and A.S.S for over 10 years. Trust in a brand and product cannot be built overnight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeantownThinker View Post
So I did a comparison...interval of 6 months or 10,000kms.
Yes. Even if you keep aside the high road tax in Bengaluru, the OTR is expensive for Hexa. With OTR of 21L, it will make consumers think twice and look for options, instead of diving into buying a Hexa.

Also, this is where I feel Mahindra has done a better job in term's of XUV's variants. The W4 comes with the same engine, albeit with stripped down features. If I go for W4, I know I am not compromising on engine and safety features w.r.t W6. But here, XE is almost seem to be made for taxi segment. Poorer engine, and lower features make XE not even worth considering.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
When Hexa prices were yet to be announced...last moment, maybe.
At time time the product was introduced, people obviously look for things like how does the product look and what features does it carry. If a product passes that basic test, then at the launch they would look for competitive pricing. Offering great pricing on essentially a stripped down car is of no use.

Again, having more information now on features of Hexa, XUV, Crysta - people will talk of what XUV offers over Hexa and at what price. For example, W6 and XM match in pricing. But W6 offers ACC and XM does not. I attach value to this. W6A is 30K cheaper than the XMA, I can upgrade to alloy wheels on W6A with another 15K.

The point is not about sour grapes. Some people are saying that at this price, I get sweeter grapes elsewhere!

Quote:
Originally Posted by prakash_ajp View Post
That's almost everything in the car except the engine and the chasis. Even in the case of a C2 sedan you would see the price between the bottom and top end at about 4 - 5 lakh. In a fantasy world, Tata would be able to sell the XTA for 12L OTR, but in reality, nobody can. My personal opinion is, if you don't want to spend 20L on "this" car", then it is as simply as this is not the car for you, look elsewhere. No point in crying foul.
Nobody is crying foul. People are looking for a better deal. If in case the Hexa was priced phenomenally well, say 2L cheaper than what it is now. I would still say it should have been cheaper by 50K. Can't I bargain more? If we just accept whatever pricing is pushed onto us, Hyundai's will push Creta's at 18L, Honda's will push BRV's at 17L. Why can't we ask manufacturers to give more at lower costs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by damodar View Post
After the price announcement changed my booking from XTA to XMA but was still confused between automatic and manual. After driving around 100km finalized XMA tungsten silver. The AT was satisfying in all kinds of situations and didn't missed the manual at all. TATA has got the tuning of the gearbox just right, see the mileage I got after resetting the MID and driving for 16 km in slow traffic. .
I see the speedometer moving between 20KMPH - 60KMPH. That is not slow traffic. Ask somebody in Bengaluru of slow traffic, it would be between 5 - 15KMPH. Still, good mileage for such a big and heavy car at those speeds in an automatic.

Essentially, my point is

- Yes, I will keep asking for a lower price. Why not?

- Hexa has not undercut its competition in pricing, nor in features. It offers what others already offer [give or take one odd feature], at the same price. Once initial excitement tapers off, it could end up being a ME TOO product.

- If the pricing is brilliant, the Hexa would have been a runaway success already. But is it one? I doubt. Given that many on the forum have taken back their bookings, confirmed XUVs, or have dropped down from XT's to XMs.

Last edited by FlyingSpur : 26th January 2017 at 08:19. Reason: Please refrain from quoting entire large posts and any videos when replying, and go through the rules of posting. Thanks.
OrangeCar is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 25th January 2017, 21:46   #1031
BHPian

Just hopped into Concorde Motors in Hyderabad (Chandanagar), the place seem to be abuzz with a lot of activity. The same place a couple of weeks ago on the same day wore a deserted look. Now looks like there is almost a Tiago being delivered everyday and a lot of interest for Hexa.

My RM looked exhausted and seems to not be able to grab a break. I asked him about cancellations and he claims none (at least in Chandanagar branch). He even showed the increase in bookings and the online bookings being done everyday.

I then spotted a Tiago and sat in it. Wow, again didnt feel like a Tata and what an incredible starting price. Ok, I am going

On a different note, I specifically went to check out the 3rd row and the issue with no space to slide the legs under the 2nd row seats. Yes, it seems impossible in a 7 seater version (especially under the longer side of the 2nd row split seating). However, on the 6 seater version - it seems much better. Courtesy, a small space scooped under each of the 2nd round Captain seat. So what this lets you do is, place one leg under the scoop and the other one near the middle space for walk through - on either of the seat.
anthiltg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th January 2017, 21:54   #1032
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveOnceMore View Post

A good 6 lakh Rupees difference between Cysta and Hexa....used is from emicalculator.net
For Toyota, resale will definitely be between 65-70%, that 60% you quoted was too low for an Innova.

And for Tata you'll be lucky if you get 45%. This is true as per our market for TATA cars.

Even if we take as per your calculation, The earlier price difference of 6 lakhs is lost at the time of resale for the HEXA. This is what we've been telling from first, with 0% gain in owning a TATA vehicle, wouldn't it just be better if you bought an Innova first and not worry about anything else. Also there is a lot of snob value in owning a Toyota rather than a TATA vehicle.

Last edited by FlyingSpur : 26th January 2017 at 08:19. Reason: Please do not quote entire large posts. It inconveniences our small screen and mobile users.
stanjohn123 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th January 2017, 22:08   #1033
BHPian

Here is a nice price comparison chat from Auto Car...
Source: http://cdni.autocarindia.com/Galleri..._hexa-copy.jpg

Mods: apologize for not including in my previous post; didn't want to muddle it with too many different topics.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Hexa : Official Review-autocar_comparison.png  

anthiltg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th January 2017, 22:14   #1034
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
Deliveries commenced from today onwards.

First Hexa delivered in south India earlier today to one of my WhatsApp contacts, Syam.

Could be the first Hexa delivered pan-India (not sure).

XTA 4x2 in Arizona Blue, delivered at Prerana Motors, Bangalore.
This is a crazy coincidence!

Syam is a very old friend of mine from engineering college. He saw the Hexa official review and recognized me from the pics. Called me up and we had several calls and whatsapp interactions.

He was choosing between Tucson, Endy and the Hexa. After reading the review and speaking to me he decided to go for the Hexa XTA.

The Hexa replaces his old Fortuner.

Hope the Hexa serves him well and he enjoys the drive over a trouble free ownership.
Vid6639 is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 25th January 2017, 22:18   #1035
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthiltg View Post
Here is a nice price comparison chat from Auto Car...

Source: http://cdni.autocarindia.com/Galleri..._hexa-copy.jpg

I think the hexa variants are not correctly indicated.

Most Viewed