Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th February 2017, 23:18   #1276
BHPian

Tata Hexa : Official Review

The OPs dilemma is the win for Hexa!
The fact that he can afford the Toyota and still is considering the Hexa based on his TD experience is testimony to the leap that the product has made.
The generalisation that both are MUVs and hence ride quality is comparable is not right IMHO.All sedans don't ride same and all SUVs are not equally capable.
The hexas ride quality and composure has been lauded and reaffirmed by everyone who has taken a test drive or sat in the hexa.The OPs dilemma also stems from this fact and the improved interiors are an encouragement.
The Hexa in my opinion is a good MUV no doubt, but then it's also a bit more than just that.Its good GC and robust crossover underpinnings make it a more capable lifestyle vehicle for someone who is looking for that territory :with mostly city driving and occasional family road n off the road trips.
The Toyotas superior service experience and trust are irrefutable,but a potential buyer must not dismiss the hexa just yet.
@OP: Pls take back to back test drives with a neutral mind and listen to your heart.If you choose the Innova, then there's
Nothing to worry.history favours you.The Toyota brand,a good reputed vehicle and service will please you for years to come. But if you choose Hexa, take the 5yr warranty and full AMC package and enjoy the car worry free.
you won't go wrong with either of them!

Last edited by vigneshkumar31 : 11th February 2017 at 23:21.
vigneshkumar31 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th February 2017, 23:36   #1277

Re: Tata Hexa : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi7013 View Post
Looking at such suggestions, its good that you are where you are! And experienced designers and MBA resources are in TATA to bring the Hexa to where it is now.
If tata had undercut xuv by 2L, i bet, you yourself would have said " tata has shot themselves in da blah blah blah, its a cheap product hence a cheap price".

Now unless you want this thread closed by the mods, please do save your valuable suggestions to tata until there's an ownership thread or a "stupid tata with their stupid hexa" thread.
Lets focus on the product rather than the brand as its a "product review" thread.

Coming to gold and silver packages, i feel it would be very helpful for people who travel a lot. For normal city usage with once a week tours, i think even the silver package is a bit costly.
Good Day Sir ,
Previously in your posts had got to know that you are taking the delivery of your vehicle , Sir kindly tell me finally which dealer have you gone ahead with , which model , and did you get the discounts you had told about.
I am asking you this for I am booking a Hexa Xt 4X2 through KHT motors ,Indira nagar , what I can expect as discount from the dealer and can i get an insurance that covers the final invoice like the one Toyota people are providing that covers the tax etc (Final Invoice) in case of total loss GOD FORBID.
Your guidance will be much appreciated.

Kiran R Shetty(kitsass)

Note from Support: Please do not post personal details like phone no, email etc.

Last edited by Eddy : 11th February 2017 at 23:50. Reason: Note inline
Old 12th February 2017, 00:01   #1278

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinayak View Post
A friend and I were discussing the Hexa and something interesting popped-up which I thought of sharing here.

Not too long back - this sold for almost 19+L (on-road BLR for the top-end variant). Not just sold, but a big hit selling 5K copies a month.

Attachment 1603013

If you refer the Team-BHP review, the strengths were
• Indestructible build & durability. The Innova is known for its bullet-proof reliability
• Spacious, flexible interiors. An extremely comfortable long distance commuter
• Segment-best interior fit, finish & quality. Superior to the Xylo, Evalia etc.
• Diesel engine has excellent driveability on tap
• Balanced handling & road manners. Car-like to drive

• Toyota’s fuss-free ownership experience & excellent after-sales

Leaving out the first and the last, the Hexa XM beats this in all other strengths, at a much lower price point. Yes, the reliability is still a question mark, but AMC should hopefully take care of 5 years of ownership.

To say its good-for-nothing at its current pricing, is (quite) harsh, IMHO.

DISCLAIMER: I have not driven the HEXA, but my opinion is purely based on what I have read on TeamBHP and elsewhere.
Nicely Written Sachin,
I took test drive of Hexa Xt Man & AT as well as Innova Crysta yesterday and we should drive it to believe it.Hexa is better than Crysta in terms of ride quality and personally I feel it looks better than Crysta (Looks may be subjective of individual tastes).Moreover as per my conversation with the sales executive ,TM have put in a lot of efforts and training for all their personnel specifically regarding this vehicle and I hope honest efforts will provide honest and better results.
kitsass is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th February 2017, 00:19   #1279
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourabhzen View Post
How is Hexa platform an old one and how it has less accomplished drive train? Anyways, people say wait for some time as it is TATA; others will say it an old platform
the engine is no where near as responsive and the gearbox and clutch are pretty notchy in comparison. Drive the two back to back it's not like I'm just saying nonsense. As for your "people will say..." statement, I bought a Kizashi against the Laura, Accord and a discounted C-Class. So what does that tell you about my stance in these kind of things. In forums it is easy to see people get affectionate and sympathetic towards a brand and defend it to death turning a blind eye to clearly evident points but please drive the two back to back and tell me if you don't notice the differences I have spoken about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourabhzen View Post
I can't say that Crysta has better handling or better interiors. It, however, has far better brand and apparently better service experience. I personally would prefer lesser visit to service station with not so good experience than going there every now and then to experience their hospitality.
have you driven the two back to back to say that the crystas handling is not better? It is very noticeably better. As for the interiors, check out the door pockets and drivers armrest in the he's they are practically useless just because something comes with a touchscreen and jbl speakers doesn't change the fact that it is based on the aria and therefore ergonomic quirks will still be carried forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by praveen_n View Post
Both are MUV's .Not much difference in terms of handling or even body roll.Interiors seem to be better on HEXA. I was in Bangalore last week and the ride from airport was a new crysta which had covered only around 4000 kms and there were already rattles .As per the driver the qaulity of old innova was much better .As for the engine i believe the current innova may not last as the old one (atleast on petrol versions outside india this is the case)
There is a massive difference in the way that they handle obviously neither handles like a sedan but it is noticeable so why isn't someone allowed to point it out? As for rattles it could happen in any car depends on how it has been treated. Honestly speaking people used to say the same thing in terms of quality about the old innova As against the qualis when it was a first launched do you actually believe Or fall victim to such rubbish?
Old 12th February 2017, 00:27   #1280

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karthik Chandra View Post
Guys,

The discussion in the last few pages has drifted into TATA's reliability rather than the product. There are enough threads to discuss reliability and brand perception of TATA Motors, this is a product review thread so lets keep the discussion on the product.

Also, for those who would want to criticize the Hexa, pls do so once you have seen the vehicle in flesh (TD is not required), just visit the showroom, spend sometime to experience the vehicle and then share your views and comment.

Request not to post just for the sake of posting.

People read our forum to take decisions and our discussions should help them take the right ones
Spot ON , especially the last sentence , with me being one of them. Thanks ,Appreciate it
kitsass is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th February 2017, 00:35   #1281
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
There is a massive difference in the way that they handle obviously neither handles like a sedan but it is noticeable so why isn't someone allowed to point it out? As for rattles it could happen in any car depends on how it has been treated. Honestly speaking people used to say the same thing in terms of quality about the old innova As against the qualis when it was a first launched do you actually believe Or fall victim to such rubbish?
Have you taken a back to back test drive of the automatic?I have multiple times and the auto in TATA was better.As for the rattles , the person who owns the vehcle has two old innovas both completed more than 1.5lk kms with no major issues and the new one is not refused in any manner.Multiple owners have reported minor niggles with the crysta.I am not saying crysta is a bad vehicle. Its just that I cannot see the value in paying 4 extra lacs only because its a toyota.

Last edited by praveen_n : 12th February 2017 at 00:37.
praveen_n is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th February 2017, 01:15   #1282
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by praveen_n View Post
Have you taken a back to back test drive of the automatic?I have multiple times and the auto in TATA was better.As for the rattles , the person who owns the vehcle has two old innovas both completed more than 1.5lk kms with no major issues and the new one is not refused in any manner.Multiple owners have reported minor niggles with the crysta.I am not saying crysta is a bad vehicle. Its just that I cannot see the value in paying 4 extra lacs only because its a toyota.
Yup I have and I agree the hexas automatic is much better. I was referring to the manual. Fact is like I said everyone used to say the same about the qualis being better. Times change and eventually people who struggle to keep up, get used to it. I can make several similar examples in that case so I wouldn't take it seriously. Every new product comes with a few niggles but if you go through Tata consumer forums youd know that you cannot compare the niggles on a Toyota to those in a Tata. I understand what Sourabh said about the Delhi situation but if it was anywhere else in the country, is happily pay 4 extra lacs because of the lower ownership costs involved in owning a Toyota be it an etios, corolla, innova or fortuner and the bigger the vehicle is, the more it's lower maintenance costs and reliability matters.

Anyway I'm just staying facts and I think I've stated all there is to say so I'm not interested in arguing further on a Tata dedicated thread. Obviously the Hexa has its own advantages so to each his own. Simply clarifying that I'm not biased towards the innova just because of the brand unlike most.

Last edited by IshaanIan : 12th February 2017 at 01:18.
IshaanIan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th February 2017, 01:16   #1283
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitsass View Post
Good Day Sir ,
Previously in your posts had got to know that you are taking the delivery of your vehicle , Sir kindly tell me finally which dealer have you gone ahead with , which model , and did you get the discounts you had told about.
I am asking you this for I am booking a Hexa Xt 4X2 through KHT motors ,Indira nagar , what I can expect as discount from the dealer and can i get an insurance that covers the final invoice like the one Toyota people are providing that covers the tax etc (Final Invoice) in case of total loss GOD FORBID.
Your guidance will be much appreciated.

Kiran R Shetty(kitsass)

Note from Support: Please do not post personal details like phone no, email etc.
Hi. First off, you have left me guessing as to why you chose to quote a message of mine which has no relevance with what is asked!
Just wondering!

Anyway, I have booked the tungsten silver XT 4x2 7 seater in Prerana Motors. Car is in yard since more than a week. The paper work is taking lots of time. Should expect delivery anytime next week.

As to the discount, I obviously cannot in detail give you information on a public forum, as we have a good personal rapport with the manager. You could PM the details that you require and I'll be happy to answer.

But I can tell you this: insurance, transport and TCS can be negotiated for, as I have said previously. Also, since dealers have more control on how they operate with the accessories, that is another point.

However, since this is a new launch, do not expect much discounts in most showrooms. Even if you walk out without any luck, no staff will come behind you, asking you to rethink!

Edit: Tata AIG has an insurance package at 46k for XT 4x2 (1645000 ex showroom). You can try contacting them for your requirements.

Mod Note: Please type grammatically (including capitalizing where required) to improve readability.

Last edited by noopster : 12th February 2017 at 09:32. Reason: Refer mod note inline
abhi7013 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th February 2017, 02:21   #1284

Mod Note: Please do not post one-liners that do not contribute to the discussion. Use Thanks button instead.

Last edited by noopster : 12th February 2017 at 09:29. Reason: Refer mod note inline
Old 12th February 2017, 08:28   #1285
BHPian

Quote:
Honestly, I would recommend the Innova Crysta as it is a substantial improvement over the old Innova.
Please recommend the Innova Crysta over the Hexa for Reliability, Toyota Service etc, but this? Would you recommend a Bolt over a Swift as Bolt is a substantial improvement over the Indica/Vista, while the Swift is just a facelift.

Quote:
Hexa... is still based on an old platform which comes with its inherent chinks in its armor, like the ergonomically poor door pockets and front armrests..
Since when did door pockets and front armrest become a part of a platform? Feel free to criticize the platform for the excessive weight, but door pockets?

Quote:
...relatively less accomplished drive-train etc.
Quote:
Yup I have and I agree the hexas automatic is much better. I was referring to the manual.
The OP's question was for the Automatic Version. Your generic statement in your first post (which you subsequently clarified in a later post) is rather misleading. As someone else rightly pointed out, Team-BHP forums are indeed viewed very carefully by the not so well informed, and it is upon all of us to ensure we have a meaningful critique.

BTW, for all who are complaining about the goof-up by Tata Motors regarding the 5th Alloy wheel, lets get some facts clear
  1. TATA indeed goofed up with their invoicing.
  2. Tata Motors never specified that the 5th wheel is an Alloy. Media-drive vehicles are NOT the production-spec vehicles. Tata Motors should have provided this disclaimer (if they did not)
  3. Given whats at stake, Tata Motors could have handled this better. At least, own up their invoicing error and make some counter offer to generate good-will.
  4. Having a smaller sized spare is NOT restricted to Tata Motors. We have a related thread staring 2011 around this - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...e-wheel-3.html
  5. Toyota downsized their Tires from 17inches to 16inches for the Innova Crysta. Not just the SPARE tire, but ALL tires. Not much hoopla around that, infact, many appreciated Toyota for listening to customer issues and taking action. Did Toyota give a refund, NO. Did Toyota reduce the car price, NO. But everyone accepted. For Tata, why so much hue and cry over the spare tire. Related Thread here - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...ls-16-a-2.html
Am indeed a Tata Motors fanboy, who owns a 2nd Generation Innova, so have a vested interest in both sides, if you truly ask.
sachinayak is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 12th February 2017, 08:46   #1286
BHPian

Tata Hexa : Official Review

For any people here looking to make decisions, as a recent shopper in this segment let me put some facts down.

I started off to buy a crysta, changed my decision once I drove the Hexa but finally bought an endeavour because of the discounts they offered. I have driven all cars back to back, 10-15 times before all my decisions.

1) the ride and handling on the Hexa is way better than the crysta and the Endeavor.

2) the back seat of the Hexa is the best place to be in any MUV/SUV from a ride perspective. It seems to have the least body roll among the 3.

3) the innova is easiest to drive but the most uninvolving drive. Hexa is the most exciting to drive. Endeavour is also fun to drive but the smaller windows and visibility make it less comfortable than the Hexa to drive

The Hexa and crysta can't compare. The Hexa is actually in a higher segment than the crysta except for its brand name and the fact that it is an Indian car. I cross shopped and almost bought he Hexa -- but the discounts on the ford last year were too attractive to give up and frankly i was expecting the Hexa xta to launch at 21otr so I thought the endy wouldn't be that much more.

Last edited by torquing_points : 12th February 2017 at 08:51.
torquing_points is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 12th February 2017, 09:38   #1287
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by torquing_points View Post
For any people here looking to make decisions, as a recent shopper in this segment let me put some facts down.
Thanks for sharing your opinion and being 'honest' considering the fact you own a Endeavour now.
I haven't seen a Hexa in flesh so far and probably may not for the next few months, but closely following this thread since launch.
The last few pages has been more of a bashing (which isn't uncommon for a 'TATA' which made me to post this.
I have driven a Toyota (Fortuner) for about 175k in a period of 5 years and can vouch for it's reliability (the point which it sells mostly and asks premium in some countries) and the way it held. How good the 'Crysta' may be and how bad the 'Hexa' might be, it's not necessary to degrade it considering the honest effort by the company to get this vehicle much required success (and our test drive report has given thumbs up for some of it's positives).
To each of his own, I request members to stop bashing about Hexa in this thread and to open a new thread "if it's your motive" as many forget to see it's positives reported in the opening posts based on which many have booked and some have already bought.

Last edited by v1kram : 12th February 2017 at 09:47.
v1kram is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th February 2017, 10:23   #1288
BHPian

Got Delivery of the Tata Hexa XTA (Arizona blue) on 9th Feb 2017. Experience at Concorde was very good. First Hexa to be driven out of Concorde motors Bangalore. Have done 360 kms. Enjoying every bit of the car. Happy I chose it over the Crysta. Detailed review will follow shortly.
power_slave77 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 12th February 2017, 10:25   #1289
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinayak View Post
m 17inches to 16inches for the Innova Crysta. Not just the SPARE tire, but ALL tires. Not much hoopla around that, infact, many appreciated Toyota for listening to customer issues and taking action. Did Toyota give a refund, NO. Did Toyota reduce the car price, NO. But everyone accepted. For Tata, why so much hue and cry over the spare tire. Related Thread here - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...ls-16-a-2.html[/list]Am indeed a Tata Motors fanboy, who owns a 2nd Generation Innova, so have a vested interest in both sides, if you truly ask.
100% agree here. A very good illustration to show how perception changes based on which brand we are dealing with. Downsizing a wheel on a brand new vehicle by the Manufacturer is a serious issue; it only means they haven't done sufficient in-house testing on natural conditions before pushing the design into the market. But we are graciously covering that up as the Manufacturer being responsive to Customer instead of looking at it as an oversight.
But when it comes to Tata erroneously putting up spare wheel as 'alloy', they are called "cheaters"! FYI, the smaller spare wheel concept is an accepted norm world over.

Like I said earlier, this thread is about Hexa and not to discuss brand perceptions or why Tata is screwed. This has clearly taken the focus away from Tata Hexa as a car and its merits or demerits - which should be the point of discussion anyway.

I also see a lot of negative comments about Aria. Every car that doesn't sell doesn't mean there is a serious flaw with it. Some are a hit and some are not. Even the best experts in the field do not always get it right. An Aria owner who faced a harrowing time with it for the first 2 years, eventually posted thanking it when it saved his family from a horrible crash leaving them unharmed. In his own words, an Innova in its place would have been a heap of metal.

My 2 cents, let us please present a more moderated and balanced view to ensure it truly adds value to everyone involved here.
anthiltg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th February 2017, 10:25   #1290
BHPian

Tata Hexa : Official Review-hexa1.png

Tata Hexa : Official Review-hexa2.png

Tata Hexa : Official Review-hexa3.png

Tata Hexa : Official Review-hexa4.png

Tata Hexa : Official Review-hexa5.png

Tata Hexa : Official Review-hexa6.png

Tata Hexa : Official Review-hexa7.png
power_slave77 is offline   (17) Thanks