Team-BHP - Tata Hexa : Official Review
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Official New Car Reviews (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/)
-   -   Tata Hexa : Official Review (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/181903-tata-hexa-official-review-9.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by RavenAvi (Post 4098054)

If Tata has taken the feedback into account and added 7-seater options to these two top variants, excellent.

Otherwise, the Concorde SA is misinformed..

That's what I thought too, you've mentioned this before. Enthusiastic SA I guess, but have to say that Tata has already dished in a dime or two on training, he was very well versed with the car specs, features and benefits. Impressed.

I'm leaning towards the 4x4 (AWD), see a lot more value for me compared with the XTA ( the pricing will tell for sure), totally willing to wait until December (in no rush) to td the cars and then decide.

Thanks Ravenavi!

Tata still needs to learn, look at seat folding in Hexa and Endeavour. Isn't they have thought of, they must have ignored it.

Tata Hexa -
Tata Hexa : Official Review-1.jpg

Ford Endeavour -
Tata Hexa : Official Review-2.jpg

Ford Endeavour -
Tata Hexa : Official Review-3.jpg

To start off a blinder of a review for most awaited car of the year. It has to be Five stars all around; both for the review & the Car.

Having owned both Aria and Safari for some time now, Hexa was definitely on my radar ever since its reveal in the Geneva motor show. Having seen the performance of both the Cars, i can definitely ignore the niggles that are pointed out in the review (NOM), purely for the reason of the satisfaction I have achieved from my ownership till date. I was advised all around not to go for any of these (Safari/Aria), but went for it & I would have regretted not to go for it, had I listened to others. (Safari was anyways my first Crush.)

Back to the topic :
This review has made certain that my next car will be Hexa, whenever it may be. Variant will be decided by presence of Vitamin M.

Regarding the Seat folding: Yes this is a definite ignorance, because Aria's third row folds down flat.

Pardon my ignorance, but can the experts please help me in understanding the differences in "A" variants i.e. XM Vs XMA & XT Vs XTA.

Something Off Topic:
I might be expecting too much from TATA stupid:, however can't they come up with a concept of customizing these variants, specially on the seating area. i.e. If a customer wants to go for six seats, in lower variants & is ready to pay the cost.

Quote:

Originally Posted by pawan_pullarwar (Post 4098231)
Tata still needs to learn, look at seat folding in Hexa and Endeavour. Isn't they have thought of, they must have ignored it.

I know this topic has been beaten to death in the Auto-Expo Hexa thread. And the concern is flat folding of last row seats. I still don't see why it should be so big a fuss if the seat back is elevated a few degrees from the floor. That leads to negligible loss of boot space and with proper packing/alignment, shouldn't be a concern while transporting small/large objects.

I would also like to point out that while we are comparing the seat folding engineering in Endeavour and the XUV with the Hexa, we must also compare the relative comfort levels of the last row seats of these vehicles. IMO, TATA has tried to strike a balance between a comfortable last row (with better head rests, under-thigh and lumbar support) and a practical boot layout. If I am the buyer, I would say they have done a fine job.

PS: I drive a humble WagonR 1.0. Due to lack of boot space, I have used the seat folding facility in my car on several occasions for varying distances and hence the above thoughts.
Once, I drove down 1200 kms non-stop with a co-driver. The rear seats were folded and the space from the front 2 seats till the boot was full of luggage and objects, from the floor till 1 foot from the roof.

Quote:

Originally Posted by saurabh2711 (Post 4098253)

Pardon my ignorance, but can the experts please help me in understanding the differences in "A" variants i.e. XM Vs XMA & XT Vs XTA.

Something Off Topic:
I might be expecting too much from TATA stupid:, however can't they come up with a concept of customizing these variants, specially on the seating area. i.e. If a customer wants to go for six seats, in lower variants & is ready to pay the cost.

'A' stands for the Automatic variants.

Regarding customization, this thought has struck me several times. However, customization can be possible either at the dealer end or at the factory after the unit is produced. Such a unit has to be handled separately i.e. customized according to the customer needs, the exchanged parts have to be reused in some other unit, the unit has to be shipped to a particular dealer only and against a particular order. The customer has to make full payment and shouldn't back out later.
The economies of scale are achieved through mass production. And the level of customization would decide the number of dedicated resources for such orders and would spruce up the cost, IMO.

Quote:

Originally Posted by saurabh2711 (Post 4098253)

A stands for the Automatic option in the respective Variant spread. XM is manual and XMA is automatic option in the XM spec.

Hope this clarifies.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ashis89 (Post 4098265)

I would also like to point out that while we are comparing the seat folding engineering in Endeavour and the XUV with the Hexa, we must also compare the relative comfort levels of the last row seats of these vehicles. IMO, TATA has tried to strike a balance between a comfortable last row (with better head rests, under-thigh and lumbar support) and a practical boot layout. If I am the buyer, I would say they have done a fine job.

I agree - I would be happy to compromise boot space for a comfortable 3rd row in my 5+2 seater. If transporting large articles frequently is an important criteria then the flat folding 3rd row makes sense. But its quite possible that Tata's MR showed that last row comfort takes precedence over max storage for its target customer base

Quote:

Originally Posted by ashis89 (Post 4098265)
I still don't see why it should be so big a fuss if the seat back is elevated a few degrees from the floor. That leads to negligible loss of boot space and with proper packing/alignment, shouldn't be a concern while transporting small/large objects.

PS: I drive a humble WagonR 1.0. Due to lack of boot space, I have used the seat folding facility in my car on several occasions for varying distances and hence the above thoughts.

I guess Tata is considering and launching it as premium SUV, it is definitely not going to be cheaper. And when we say premium, than there should not be compromise. I agree with cheaper cars or suvs such asymmetry is acceptable but not with premium cars.

What a fantastic review, one of the best ever. Thank You for all the hard work.

Compelled me to login and post, 5 Stars to both, the review & Hexa.

I am a Zest owner and a happy one, I am pleased with Zest's ride quality, can't imagine how good the Hexa would be, going by the review.

I would certainly consider the Hexa in the future, if I were shopping in that segment, I sincerely hope the Indian Public shows faith in Tata for this one, much deserved.

- Slick

Quote:

Originally Posted by pawan_pullarwar (Post 4098326)
And when we say premium, than there should not be compromise. I agree with cheaper cars or suvs such asymmetry is acceptable but not with premium cars.

This is definitely a oversight on part of TATA. However, if we compare all aspects related to back seat such as comfort, space and price then there are no reasons to complain.

Ohh come on! this is nitpicking.

I agree, seats should fold into a flat bed, but is a 5 degree incline a deal breaker? To put it other way, would someone choose an endy over hexa just for the flat folding rear seats? or an XUV over Hexa just for a sunroof? (or for that matter, vice versa just for music system?)

compare the overall package, please.

Quote:

Originally Posted by pawan_pullarwar (Post 4098231)

Isn't the issue beaten to death already in another Hexa thread? :deadhorse

For someone who ought to use the luggage space by dropping the 3rd row seat will do it anyhow and will find a work around to this minor issue, will he not? We are very good at our jugaads and this won't even need much jugaad anyway.

Let's accept that Tata has lost an opportunity to improve this and get over it. please:

A survey for the prospective owners should be put up to check if it is indeed a deal-breaker.

Quote:

Originally Posted by teemus (Post 4098386)
For someone who ought to use the luggage space by dropping the 3rd row seat will do it anyhow and will find a work around to this minor issue, will he not? We are very good at our jugaads and this won't even need much jugaad anyway.

+1 to that. If a flat surface is mandatory, place a thick cardboard (or something similar) in the actual flat boot area to bring it upto the level of the raised seat back. You get a flat surface now. This jugaad can be used in those rare occasions when a flat surface is a necessity.

This thread deserves to be 5-Stars, very detailed report. I would any day prefer to revisit this review over any video or magazine review. Kudos to everyone involved in its compilation
Now getting to the point, everybody is already blown away by what it offers, but i want to voice my opinion on some key things that were missed
1. Steering reach adjustment missed in such a costly car, not acceptable as even Baleno/i20 gets it at half its price. And for drivers with a smaller body frame, it would actually help.
2. We get electrochromic mirrors for as low as 10k aftermarket, it could have been provided atleast in top end variants.
3. In my personal opinion, the "TATA" badged lever on AT looks a bit tacky due to excessive metal to leather proportion variance.

Also i wanted to understand, does this TATA car also suffer from the same "exposed wirings" issue under the dashboard, i remember reading about that in zest review i believe.
And how well does the speech recognition work on this one. in my experience with the zest, the AC control commands were recognized well

Fantastic review as always rated 5 stars.

One question though, What happened to the 1.9 litre engine? Is that version happening?

Quote:

Originally Posted by pawan_pullarwar (Post 4098326)
I guess Tata is considering and launching it as premium SUV, it is definitely not going to be cheaper. And when we say premium, than there should not be compromise. I agree with cheaper cars or suvs such asymmetry is acceptable but not with premium cars.

Problem is not just aesthetics but a slopping floor can make luggage to roll and slide. They also leave gap bellow them and when loaded with heavy luggage the floor can deform (at least in long run). It is possible that the backrest is just supported on the headrests on the non-hinged end. Overall not a sign of good engineering.