Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st November 2016, 23:09   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tata Hexa : Official Review

That is one heck of an insightful review, but then nothing less is expected of Team BHP.

Tata seems to have nailed it (more or less) with the Hexa. Those seeking an alternative to the XUV500 and Crysta can now finally have a bit more food for thought. It was only a few week back that a friend and I were discussing 7-seater options at this price and invariably, my mind came around to the Hexa and I recommended she wait for it, to which I got the expected "Really? A Tata car?" with a grimace of the face.

I hope the Hexa is gauged purely on its merits (of which there seem to be many) and that the luggage of the Aria and questionable after-sales doesn't weigh it down too badly, because what Tata has designed is a truly remarkable indigenous vehicle. It looks smart, is spacious and if Tata has any sense will be priced well from the get-go. I'm loving the new direction Tata Motors is taking (onwards and upwards) of late, they've infused life into a beleaguered giant, kudos to them.

Giving this review a well-deserved 5 stars. Cheers, ciao.
iliketurtles is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 21st November 2016, 23:09   #17
BHPian

Splendid review. I went through all the details in one go. Wow, i feel i just got out of the car after detailed test drive. Thanks for sharing the details with the gang. 10/10 for this thread

1) That diesel filter seems vulnerable with its current location. Wouldn't stones etc. hurt it ?
2) The AT stick and the paneling around it looks excellent and upmarket.
3) Curious enough, any word on the fuel economy under real world conditions?
4) Do Tata provide any MTBF (Mean time between failure)/or similar kind of info on the components like injector system, turbo etc. That will add to the reliability factor. I am curious to know how long majority of the parts will last assuming they are maintained well.

Last edited by sunishsamuel : 21st November 2016 at 23:14.
sunishsamuel is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st November 2016, 23:13   #18
Team-BHP Support

A lot has already been discussed about the Hexa, and the review itself is so detailed that only the price remains to be seen now.

And that is going to decide the fate of this otherwise brilliant package. They have some breathing space though - with Tucson, Crysta all going up higher than ever. BUT, they need to undercut the XUV 5OO by a good margin, atleast initially, to make any sort of impact with the sales.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 21st November 2016 at 23:18.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 21st November 2016, 23:22   #19
Senior - BHPian

Awesome review, rated 5 stars. Now let's wait for the pricing. If Hexa does well, which it will if priced well, then we will soon see updates in terms of Auto AWD, sunroof, auto dimming mirror, push button start et all. And yes it surely makes Storme ancient.

Last edited by GTO : 22nd November 2016 at 11:49. Reason: Typos
sourabhzen is offline   (3) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 21st November 2016, 23:22   #20
BHPian

Absolute spot on review. Absolute spot on. This is by far one of the most comprehensive reviews.

I was really hoping that Hexa XTA comes with a 7 seater option, but now looking at the quality of the captain seats, I think the 6 seater option seems way better. So the only downside I see on the XTA is that it misses the ESP. Any reason why Tata don't have this on the XTA?

I really believe that Tata have a true winner on their hands. Price it aggressively and they have things going for them.

Decision is now way more difficult. The Hexa XTA or the XUV W10 AT AWD. Looking forward to the test drive to close on that decision. Really excited now, can't wait for the TD now.
ptushar is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 21st November 2016, 23:39   #21
Team-BHP Support

Looks like a brilliant product, isn't it!

I love how and where Tata is heading, with Tiago and now Hexa. They probably started that journey with Bolt and Zest; it is commendable that the are following up Tiago with Hexa.

If I were in the market for this segment, I would seriously consider the Hexa. Perhaps wait until the initial niggles are found and rectified, and then take the plunge.

It bodes well for the market and consumers too; hopefully the days of Innova monopoly are numbered. Indian products seem to have come of age, XUV showed us that.

Now, for the pricing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
Tata Aria, Take 2

Yup, that's exactly what the Hexa is.
Aren't we glad they've started a new naming convention. It allows Tata to start off on a new foot. Sure, we know there's a lot of Aria in the Hexa but you want to give it a honest chance.

I find it odd when manufacturers reintroduce out-of-production cars with the same name. Or name new products with older names.

I think Maruti took a huge gamble with the Baleno monicker. The older Baleno sedan wasn't quite the hit, but yet they stuck with the name on a vastly different product. Let's see how the rumored Santro re-entry pans out.

I think
libranof1987 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2016, 00:15   #22
BHPian

The most anticipated review is here. Many team bhpians have been eagerly waiting for this review (review posted at 8 pm in night ). TATA has done a commendable job and praise from GTO is not easy. Only pricing and reliability remain. If TATA manages to get them right, this product will be seen in good numbers on road. Good luck to Tata Motors.

This is the best review of Tata Hexa. Team-Bhp standard is nothing less than best. Kudos guys.
PraNeel is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2016, 00:44   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

That's a lovely review there! I sometimes skip a lot of parts while reading, but this made a worthy read due to the product itself. I can feel a lot of positivity in the review of a TATA product after a long time (better than Tiago). Guess TATA is moving in the right direction with the new line up. And I am extremely happy for the time they took as the end product is much better than usual TATAs.

I am sure those who booked the Hexa are the happiest lot and hope the initial batches too remain niggle free from now. For me, I feel excited thinking how better will be the new products from TATA especially the Nexon (Please give us the amp & sub in the Nexon too).

Thanks Viddy & Addy - that's one cool review there (I know it's business as usual for you guys)!

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 22nd November 2016 at 00:45.
swiftnfurious is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2016, 00:59   #24
BHPian

Great review! Top notch as always. No other site goes into minute details as it is done here.

I had seen the Hexa in camouflage as well as in the same color as in this review on the roads here in PCMC, Pune. The car has a nice robust presence and is a head turner. The test driver was gunning it when I had seen the car initially.

The segment the car is in and the price it will ask, it should not miss out on features like the Dead Pedal. I still don't like the pull up style locks for the other doors. I don't know what the problem was with providing the same style pull out one's that the front door has.
aghate is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2016, 01:45   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Absolutely mind-blowing review, guys. Gives the phrase "in-depth" a whole new meaning!

Took me almost 2 hours to go through all the details and the fine stuff laid out in the pictures, but I savoured every second of it. And to think you went through the Hexa with a finely-toothed comb in the very limited time that you had with the car is worthy of a standing salute!

Thank you so much, Addy & Viddy!

The Hexa is the most complete Tata car one can see today. I am loving this new direction the company has taken since they introduced the Zest. Quality has jumped upwards by leaps and bounds, and there's no compromise on any aspect of their contemporary offerings. What Tata has done with the Hexa represents the next step in their engineering - taking it a few notches closer to truly "premium", and taking it "global".

Some notable omissions such as a larger (at least a 7-inch) Head Unit, pure keyless entry, start/stop system, reach adjustment for the steering wheel, cladding under the front wheel wells, etc., might seem like deterrents, but then I am sure that Tata omitted a few features just so they could target a killer pricing range. I am sure that with time, and with feedback received, they will upgrade the Hexa range with these missing features (some of which are touted to come in the XTA 4x4 currently waiting in the wings) and which will make the whole package complete and very desirable in the segment the Hexa will ply in.

But still, this is one case where the sheer number of positives outweigh the negatives of a car! The AT especially sounds like a delight to drive, and I am glad I booked the XTA while overriding my temptation for those lovely multi-drive modes.

Let's hope they price the Hexa in the perfect, feel-good zone, and then back up the sales with an excellent service experience. There's nothing like building on a huge initial buzz with plenty of good word-by-mouth publicity from the initial batches of customers themselves - see how it has worked for the Tiago. I am sure that Tata has learnt it's lessons and they won't disappoint in these 2 crucial aspects which will ensure that the Hexa will give the XUV500 a run for it's money.

All the best to the Hexa, and I hope it becomes the bestseller it's destined to be.

Rating this immaculate and delectable effort a very, very commendable 5-stars!

Last edited by RavenAvi : 22nd November 2016 at 01:46.
RavenAvi is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2016, 01:48   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
Sticker with instructions is weirdly pasted on the bottom of the driver’s door. Don't miss the typo!
You guys are better than Sherlock Holmes should I say

Excellent review for one of the most expected product from TATA. Though there are some minor niggles, the overall product looks satisfactory

To be frank I will be in the market in late 2017 for 5 seater car, but this one is very tempting.!
RJ411 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2016, 04:41   #27
Senior - BHPian

Excellent review as always, especially the sheer details in covering the car. This is a commendable effort from Tata's but I cannot get over the fact that this car is still too fat! Kerb weight over 2.2 tonnes is unpardonable especially because it is going to effect every facet of this car from longevity to performance to efficiency. I mean surely Tata could have done more to reduce the sheer weight.

What this also tells me is that Tata engineers are still employing brute force methods to solve problems rather than innovating and employing smarter solutions. Its kind of like - lets add metal here to make it stiffer than understanding the geometry and metallurgy.
extreme_torque is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2016, 07:37   #28
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the detailed review. Hope they get their pricing right to make buyers put their money on Tata

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
The Mahindra XUV500 always was (and is) on top of my recommendation list for buyers in this segment.
No doubt XUV5OO is a wonderful SUV. I own a 2013 model & have done 130k kms till date. I intend to keep the vehicle as long as it serves me without any continuous reliability problems...but off late the confidence level is slowly fading away. In my last 3-4 highway drives, the check engine light has popped up for one or other reason & it goes on its own after couple of days or even few hours of continuing the drive. At service center, it don't look like they are even attempting to get into the possible problems...so stopped raising a complaint to them. Plus the ageing is very evident on wear & tear parts (steering leather, gear lever leather, Cool box lock at center console etc)
My other hatchback is filling up the gap & XUV500 has more become a standby car in last 6 months or so.

I have evaluated both Innova and XUV500 & decided to go with latter for its overall package...after 3.5 yrs, I am thinking if Innova would be a right choice for a longer innings
Surprise is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2016, 07:51   #29
BHPian

Had been waiting so long for this review and it is one hell of a detailed one. Still not able to digest that with the limited time you had with the car you got to such details like different characteristics of the AT which none of the reviewers/bloggers could even mention.

One question how would you compare HEXA At with Innova crysta's At in terms of response and smoothness of shifts?
damodar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2016, 07:52   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

They addressed it all, well almost - Kudos to Tata for coming up with a brilliant product. You ask for a useful feature and it is right there in this one - Whether it has got to do with driving and convenience or it is with passenger utility.

The product in terms of fit and finish, aesthetics finds itself complete this time.

And that lovely Varicor Engine - Having driven it only 2 months back for 800 kms, It is one hell of a non-stop, really fast & tireless cruiser with all the load.

The ride, especially on expressway runs was always the Aria/Storme's USP and with the Hexa it has only reached a notch above.

Over the past few months, we have seen it all - Scoops, Media reviews, BHPians getting a chance to drive it and now the Team-BHP Team reviewing this. All in all, the trend clearly says that Tata has got the right product this time and what will immensely matter now is the right pricing. That's everybody's wish am sure.

I wish Tata all the best to crack this segment this time!
paragsachania is offline   (11) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks