Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th December 2016, 11:26   #226
BANNED

Re: Tata Hexa : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
Service intervals - first 3 are free services.
Attachment 1582324
Living upto your name buddy, you are more than just a birdie on these forums.

I was wondering why the service interval has been reduced to 6months/10,000kms? AFAIK, the Safari Storme 400NM with the same engine and transmission has a longer duration of 1year/20,000kms (or 10,000kms if heavy city use) service interval. Having the Innova and palming my face for its 6month/5000kms interval, I was hoping Hexa would have been better in that respect.
methecupid is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th December 2016, 11:27   #227
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
DICOR still holds a charm. Even against the Hexa. A true timeless design, if ever there was one.
True I wish Tata to provide similar features in Safari.

But in that case my pick will be Safari not Hexa.
roby_dk is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th December 2016, 15:26   #228
BHPian

Hexa Experience Bangalore event details:
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Hexa : Official Review-hexa_bangalore.jpg  

hillsnrains is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2016, 15:34   #229
BHPian

Last Friday, 2nd Dec called up the executive in chennai Concorde to check on the Hexa demo vehicles and was surprised to hear there were 2 vehicles in Chennai as part of a Tata Sponsored event in Chetpet. we've been waiting for the vehicle for a very long time now and so decided to check it out along with my wife.
One was a blue, XT 7 seater variant as a display car and other was a silver XTA 6 seater to ferry the chief geusts.

First impression :
Massive.Well proportioned. The oddness of Aria has gone. The best looking UV down side of 20L. Could not drive it, but im greatly impressed with the look. What strikes out is the wheels. Its huge and adds lot of character for the vehicle. Not sure how it behaves on our broken roads. All parts have been nicely put together, but im not happy with the texture and feel of plastics on the vehicle. Could have been better. Also, the seat though has a healthy to and fro range, could not be used as there is no rake adjustment.In effect, we get a very limited range to set our driving position which for me is by setting it all the way back (im 5'11). Even in this position handrest on glove box is in accessible.
There is no dedicated slot to place the mobile, maybe its Tata's way of saying driving and using mobilephone is not a great combination. How ever i could place mine in the cup holder in the centre console. Its a 6s and is a tight fight. Bigger phones dont go in. you need to find another solution.One another grouse is the last row not folding flat. The slope is quite prominent and need to think of a solution to it. None of the above is a deal breaker though.

6 or 7 seater - Initially when specs were out few weeks back, I wanted a 7 seater Auto. But now having a feel of the 6 seater variant, whatever way I look at it, 6 seater seems to be a better option.Why?
1. Comfort of the middle row occupants - way better than the 3 seater bench.
2. Easy access to the third row.
3. to make 3rd row usable for an adult. They can stretch their legs between the seats.

Very happy with the ICE, good ergonomics, commandig seating position, comfortable seats.

So, its decided XTA 6 Seater - either grey or blue.

Now coming down to all that matters - my Wife's impresion:
She liked the exteriors. But inside, she found it to be no match to our current 10 year old Civic.I guess my work for next month needs to focus here if we need to get the above Hexa home. Waiting for the test drive and hope the ride impresses her.
varunanb is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 5th December 2016, 19:19   #230
BHPian

Wonder why T BHP doesnt do video reviews?? I am suggesting this as I happened to check all reviews of HEXA on the You Tube and none of them do justice the way T BHP does. Yes the medium is different, but the reviewers in those show just seem to show so much bias and poor review skills - Autocar takes the cake with Renuka in the review:

1) Rants about how tough it is to sit on the third row and then she makes a 6 ft plus crew member sit next to her and starts more ranting. Isnt it obvious that a 6ft plus person will have issues not just in the third row but in most of the cars on the road.

2) She then says that with all rows up the boot space is "well minimal to say the least", please put that into perspective with XUV 5oo and then comment.

3) She sits on the driver sit, adjusts heights and steering and then again goes on about how high the vehicle sits and for short drivers it will be an issue.

4) The usual comment for TATA on fit and finish.

5) Poor appeal of 19"!!

Now compare this with other reviewers who went gaga over the auto box, quality of interiors, features but then either its their bias or something, summed it up by saying that XUV 5oo may not feel much heat from HEXA.
garyag79 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th December 2016, 20:00   #231
Distinguished - BHPian

Returned from a 25-minute test drive of the Hexa XTA 4x2 about three hours back.

The dealership had informed me that the test drive cars will be available from Sunday onwards, and there would be 2 cars available - the AT and the MT 4x4. I had a meeting scheduled yesterday at 3 PM which went for 4 hours so couldn't visit the dealership for the TD. Decided to do it after lunch time today.

Mind you, this is my first experience with this Tata dealership, which is new and has sprung up only last year. As such, for a new dealership which should be looking to gain a big customer base and cement their footprint in the region, their attitude left a lot to be desired.

The TD car was driven up in front of me about one hour and fifteen minutes after I had walked into the dealership. It was an XTA 4x2 in Silver shade. I inquired about the XT 4x4 and was told that it hasn't come yet.

As soon as I lifted my iPhone to snap the first pic, the dealership manager interrupted and stopped me. He said they had instructions from their seniors that no photos are to be allowed. I replied that everything regarding the car is already out on the Net, and nothing is left to be kept a big secret anymore. Because I am someone who pores over the fine details later, the photos would be for my own record only. His blunt response was, "Sorry, sir. If you insist on taking photos then we can't let you test drive our car!"

First shocker!

I was thinking of walking out of there immediately, but decided not to create a scene and calmly switched off all my 3 phones and locked them inside my Lazarus (Creta). This was also partly due to my immense interest and curiosity regarding the Hexa.

Anyways, here are my impressions:

1) The car seems B-I-G at first glance! Almost Endeavour-ish proportions. SUVs these days are going by clean rear designs, but I felt that the Hexa could have benefited from having the spare wheel on the rear door, ala family cousin, the older-gen Safari. But for such a big car, the length would have increased even more!

3) The Hexa is a car which you have to stop and notice on the roads! The car screams out it's presence wherever it stands.

4) Paint quality felt top-notch. You can't help but feel impressed when you notice the shine on the shade, effected by the afternoon sun. Panel gaps and shut lines are minimal, and are maximum around the bonnet area.

5) The front design creates, and leaves, a lasting impression. The headlamp sections especially look fabulous when seen from the top. Aided by the wide, black grille and that small chrome moustache, the front is clean yet impressive.

6) The section just above the DRLs bear an empty look. They should have been filled up with either twin reflectors or something else. The black plastics leave the impression of "something was to go in these, but was deleted at the last moment."

7) Doors feel like they are heavy and also close with a thud, but it's quite muted. Maybe the rubber beading on the doors aids in softening the noise.

8) Body panels and door panels passed the thumb test. No flexing felt on either.

9) Interiors are fantastically rich and premium. Pass a hand over the dashboard, seats, steering wheel cover and you can't help but be very impressed by the quality of material used inside the entire cabin. A huge step above the XUV500's dash which has that cheap wavy plastic effect.

10) Very spacious and roomy cabin, with enough space for 10-12 kids to have a birthday party! Feels open on all sides due to the huge glass areas all around.

11) The 6-seater captain seats version is the one to go for. The amount of comfort I felt in the second row is absolutely fabulous. I am totally sold on this (am 6'0" tall). 3-seater benches are no longer good enough, once you experience these.

12) Good space for your feet in the AT footwell, with a huge and proper footrest provided. I thought that the pedals are a size smaller than what should have been ideal. But then my foot size is 13.

13) Coming from the Creta, I felt that the steering is one size too small for the Hexa. Specially when you compare it to the huge dash and the overall cabin ambience, Tata should have provided a bigger one.

14) Hornpad is big, and the horn honks even when you press it from the edges.

15) The ICE unit also felt awfully small in comparison to the huge dash it was nested in. That said, the touchscreen response is super quick. Music quality is, for lack of a better word, absolute bliss - Harman has put it's best foot forward with the Hexa's system, and it shows!
Lows, mids and highs are delivered absolutely superbly (I tested the system with the "Crazy Kiya Re" song from Dhoom 2, which tests all 3 outputs + sub response equally). The subwoofer on the boot door became a bit boomy on high volumes, which shook the entire cabin. Drive around playing songs in high volumes with 3rd row passengers, and you might be kicked out of the car by them after a while!
Otherwise for normal audiophiles at medium volumes, there's hard to find a better ICE setup in any Indian car south of 15 lakh rupees, except probably another Harman-equipped Tata.

16) Passenger comfort is top notch. Even the front hand rest is designed in such a manner that the front passenger would be more comfortable using it than the driver. The captain seats will make the 2nd row passengers feel like royalty. As such, the Hexa feels like it's a passenger-centric car, until you come to the AT.

17) I, for one, felt that the sunglass holder was placed oddly. I am used to keeping it in the map lights section up front, so reaching above my head and fumbling for the thing felt very odd to me. Maybe with time, owners will get used to this. Also, the sunblinds should have been provided for all 3 rows, instead of just the middle row. With the sunfilm-ban in effect, this could have been a significant selling point for the Tata SAs.

18) Acres of headroom, shoulder room and elbow room everywhere! This is one car in which you can't complain of getting short-changed on space. Even the 3rd row is quite spacious, although it follows a similar pattern of seating as seen in other in-segment cars.

19) Shoulder/elbow room felt a tad lower in the 3rd row. Maybe it is due to the protruding plastic sections on either side of the 3rd row of the Hexa, which eat up plenty of valuable space. But this is one 3rd row I would prefer to be in, other than the Xylo. Even the Innova is beaten in this regard. The Xylo though remains the benchmark in 3rd row seating and space.

20) The placement of the AC vents is perfect - the whole cabin cools down equally well in no time. Individual vents are provided for all passengers.

21) With all the rows up, boot space is limited. Still, you have enough to throw in around 4-5 travel bags or 2-3 suitcases.

22) Even with the headrests removed, the 3rd row does not fold flat. I am guessing the design of the seat and the material used inside it, fouls with it's folding flat nature. As such, it folds to around 90% of the way. Good enough for me. No complaints.

23) The captain seats fold and tumble forward too, but there's no way to secure or hold them in place. You have to hold them with one hand while you slide out of the car, which requires effort. Thankfully, the seats don't fall back on you while you do so. A miss here by Tata.

24) The R19-sections are enormous, and add a lot more personality to the Hexa. Comfort levels and grip is good. Chunky diamond-cut dual-tone silver/black alloys are sweet-looking!

25) Cranked up the VariCOR400, and the engine sprung up to life with it's usual diesel thrumming clatter. It settled down to a slightly less muted thrum in around 20 seconds.
Moved the lever into "D" and the Hexa teed off smoothly from it's standstill position without any jerks, indicating that the response has been perfectly tuned. The AT box is a driving connoisseur's delight! Only the engine response + the slight vibrations off the A pedal let you know when the engine is upshifting at higher RPMs. I was doing 60-70 kmph speeds in no time. This, from a 2.2 tonner! Fabulous!
Eased on the A pedal and pressed the B pedal gently, and the Hexa downshifted easily enough and brought me to crawling speeds nice and easy. Tiptronic worked well and smoothly too, but I was caught upshifting at lower speeds more than once. Maybe this is because I was coming from a petrol car and needed a bit of re-adjustment.
This is a very commendable TC box by Punch Powerglide - I dare say one of the very best around. Didn't have enough time to check out the Sport/Racecar mode. Maybe in the near future, with a more extensive TD.

26) Move over, Renault Duster, for there is a new KING on the roads with regards to ride quality and riding comfort. The Hexa easily trumps all other cars in this price segment with it's super magic carpet ride! We went over several small speed breakers which didn't even cause a murmur to the suspension or were felt to either of us, and some potholes were dismissed from the Hexa's presence with a nonchalant wave! If you strain your ears hard, you might hear one or two mild thuds from the wheels as they cross broken patches on the road, otherwise there's simply nothing! The Hexa is THE best car I have ever driven in this particular regard. Hats off to the geniuses in Tata who have tuned this suspension absolutely superbly!

27) Another aspect which Tata has trumped with the Hexa, are the brakes in the AT. Even when missing some critical driver-aid features in the XTA, the brakes felt really strong and stopped the car in a straight line more than once. The pedal response took half a second to react, though. I hope this isn't a problem at 100+ speeds. None for me, because I am a sedate driver.

28) The rear chrome garnish looks gaudy. For some reason, I have become allergic to shiny chrome for awhile now (since my 2014 Honda City days). A matte black strip joining the two tail lamp sections on either side would have looked h-a-w-t!

29) Another thing I am critical of - one reversing lamp and one rear foglamp. The two reflectors provided with both on either side could have been utilised for this and they should have provided a pair of reversing lamps and rear foglamps. Another miss, I feel.

30) Boot loading lip is high, and will take a bit of effort to lift the luggages up. That said, the boot area itself sits flush with the boot lip, making things easier. Be prepared to do plenty of exercise when locking/unlocking the spare wheel, though.

Returned back to the dealership thoroughly impressed.

Big positives - AT response, cabin, ICE, speedo MID, overall quality, braking.

Slight downers - Steering and AB pedal size, ICE size, access/exit from 3rd row, single reversing/fog lamps, spare wheel placement, lack of a cubbyhole/utility for smartphones around the gear lever section.

The dealership manager wore an irritated look when we returned, and muttered something about taking more time than usual (I was told later that customers were being given only 15 minutes with the car).

I came to know from my sources that several bigwig netas and their bratty sons had visited the showroom yesterday itself, and had their way with the TD car. The dealer received around 20-22 "assured-purchase" bookings yesterday itself, with booking amounts ranging from 20,001 rupees to 1,00,001 rupees! This, despite the official booking amount of 11,000 rupees. In return, they all have asked for cars from the first lot on the first day of launch itself!

Also, word about this was spread around yesterday by these "instant Hexa customers/confirmed buyers", so the dealership received some additional bookings earlier in the morning today over their phones. The customers who booked didn't even ask for a TD - just a "sending-you-the-cheque-put-me-in-the-line" type, no doubt influenced by the Sunday crowd.

No wonder the dealership's attitude has changed overnight.

As for the car - the Hexa XTA has got it's basics sorted out, and although it has a few small misses which can be rectified with time or with each passing iteration, none of them are big enough to be called as a deal-breaker.

It is a honest effort by Tata, and it shows. This is one car which you wouldn't associate with the Tata stable, unless you noticed the T badge everywhere. A very pleasant and bold step forward, I would say this car is THE buy in the price range it is touted to come in. Price it right, Tata, and you will have a surefire winner in your hands.

Oh, and while you are at it, please do something about your dealerships too. Hope you have received my official complaint by now.

Last edited by RavenAvi : 5th December 2016 at 20:22. Reason: Proof-read and corrected.
RavenAvi is offline   (55) Thanks
Old 5th December 2016, 22:02   #232
BHPian

Quote:
Returned from a 25-minute test drive of the Hexa XTA 4x2 about three hours back.
Nice write-up after a small test drive sounds good that Hexa is coming as a better product from Tata.

I am too much confused with seating setup. I take your point that captain seats are far better but I have a different viewpoint. I have a dicor and I rarely use bench seats so I am happy with 5 seats left which I can use easily and boot for luggage.

If I go for 7 seat version don't you think I will always have 5 seat available for me like my current car with last row always folded. Reason being people are still complaining that last row is still not as comfortable as 1st or 2nd row. Hence If I go for 6 seat version I will have only 4 seats left.

Please give your valuable inputs as you are already providing very detailed information about Hexa.

Last edited by roby_dk : 5th December 2016 at 22:26.
roby_dk is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th December 2016, 01:28   #233
Distinguished - BHPian

Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roby_dk View Post
If I go for 7 seat version don't you think I will always have 5 seat available for me like my current car with last row always folded. Reason being people are still complaining that last row is still not as comfortable as 1st or 2nd row. Hence If I go for 6 seat version I will have only 4 seats left.
It all comes down to one's own individual requirements and priorities, I guess.

Would you want an ultra-spacious 4-seater with individual maharajah seats for everyone, or would you want a 2nd row bench sitting 3 passengers with some compromise on individual space?

I think, for traveling with an occasional (think once in 3-4 months) 5th (or 6th) passenger, the captain seats option is the best. For running around with a regular 5th passenger with a possibility of increase in number to ferry around 6-7 people at least once a month, the bench row makes more sense.

And, if you are a driver plying around 90% of the time alone or with a front passenger only, I would strongly recommend the captain seats variants.

The last row of the Hexa is still better than many other SUVs in this segment, maybe even from a segment up. Most of them have shaped the 3rd row in such a way that it's suitable only for kids. At least in the Hexa, you can travel around with 2 fully grown adults in the 3rd row without too much complaining.

In comparison to the others, I would rate Hexa as 2nd in 3rd row comfort, behind the Xylo. All others (XUV, Innova, Storme, Scorpio) come later.

Do remember that the Hexa at least gives you enough boot space to cram in 4 travel bags, with all 3 rows up. The XUV500 doesn't give you anything.

And, as they say, something is always better than nothing.

A few other observations which I felt:

31) Steering feel is good, neither too light like the Hyundais and the Hondas, nor too heavy like the old hydraulic units. At cruising speeds, you do feel you are connected to the roads and are in control of your vehicle. Smaller size of the steering wheel is more evident when you have to make a U-turn with the Hexa's ultra-huge turning radius.

32) In-cabin insulation is good. Minimal road and traffic noise filtered from outside. Engine damping and NVH levels are excellent too. I had seen Autocar's video where the gear lever in the Hexa MT 4x4 was literally dancing around. No such issues in the Hexa AT - the gear lever stayed solid and stable.

33) AC is quite effective and cools down the cabin uniformly. Blower speeds became noisy from level 3 onwards. But the real test of the AC unit will be felt during end-April/early-May, when temperatures soar to beyond 45°C in most parts of India.
With such a large cabin and a huge glass area all around (huge front windshield, big rear windshield, big windows on all 4 doors, big glasses for the 3rd row), the Hexa could be a hot cauldron if left under the sun on hot summer afternoons. Hence it was necessary that Tata provide sunblinds for all 3 rows, and not just the middle row.
It will be a test of the UV cut-glass, for sure.

34) Seat material is firm, but supremely comfortable. It's not one of those sinking-in sort of seats, but it's like sitting on a firm, luxurious sofa which feels comfortable and gently hugging you from all sides. A big thumbs up to the lumbar support as well, for those fatigue-free long journeys.

35) The butterfly design of the front wipers (carried over from the Aria) works extremely well. The sweeps cover a huge part of the glass area, except the farthest corners, and keep it completely clean. You can drive around in your Hexa through pouring rains without any worries for wiper effectiveness.

And, a special message received from my Tata birdies earlier today:

"Expect killer pricing for the Hexa range, specially for the manual variants. Pricing range expected to be cut down by around 1.5 lacs!"

That would mean a (new) pricing range of Rs 10.49 lakhs - Rs 16.49 lakhs!

If this happens, it would mean a serious shakedown in 2 related segments (Creta/Duster & XUV500/Innova Crysta), maybe 3 (including the D segment)!

Last edited by RavenAvi : 6th December 2016 at 01:54. Reason: added a point.
RavenAvi is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 6th December 2016, 07:52   #234
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
And, a special message received from my Tata birdies earlier today:

"Expect killer pricing for the Hexa range, specially for the manual variants. Pricing range expected to be cut down by around 1.5 lacs!"

If this happens, it would mean a serious shakedown in 2 related segments (Creta/Duster & XUV500/Innova Crysta), maybe 3 (including the D segment)!
I expected that Tata would go all guns blazing against those higher and lower too, as the spec sheet of the variants come across. Would shake up the market and provide for price corrections of all brands. Most of them like the Creta, Duster, even Crysta have carried an unfair (customer perspective) premium.

Killing many birds with one stone. Customer is King. I hope obnoxious dealers and service centers are pulled up and given the stick.

The only authorized independent service center in Coimbatore has been taken over by another dealer and needless to say, leaves a lot to be desired. I had been using Autozone since 1995!

Last edited by discoverwild : 6th December 2016 at 07:53.
discoverwild is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th December 2016, 08:24   #235
BHPian

Very nice write up Raven Avi
Quote:

I am not in the market for a six/seven seater SUV/MUV. But if they price the Hexa within that range, I might be really tempted to buy it. You are right, that would be seriously disruptive pricing.

Last edited by Enobarbus : 6th December 2016 at 08:25.
Old 6th December 2016, 10:39   #236
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thank you.

Wow if Tata are able to price it in that bracket they will have a huge success. Earlier info I had was for 12.5 -17.5. If they can crack 10.5 -16, they will really succeed! I just hope that they are able to make it at this price and I would also be keen to buy it if I can the XM 4x4 around 13.5 ex showroom.
Old 6th December 2016, 11:17   #237
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
Wow if Tata are able to price it in that bracket they will have a huge success. Earlier info I had was for 12.5 -17.5. If they can crack 10.5 -16, they will really succeed! I just hope that they are able to make it at this price and I would also be keen to buy it if I can the XM 4x4 around 13.5 ex showroom.
And it would mean that we may see many hexa cabs around. That would be a bit disappointing!
abhi7013 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2016, 11:35   #238
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi7013 View Post
And it would mean that we may see many hexa cabs around. That would be a bit disappointing!
I am already seeing quite a few yellow plate Innova Cyrsta, just like its predecessor. But that doesn't deter people from buying the over-priced car. So effectively, we have a problem if Hexa is priced high and we have a problem if it's priced low (VFM pricing). Now this problem can't be cracked.
ashis89 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 6th December 2016, 12:32   #239
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
I just hope that they are able to make it at this price and I would also be keen to buy it if I can the XM 4x4 around 13.5 ex showroom.
Not sure if they are launching the XM in 4x4 guise, the only one we have on the variant listing is the XT 4x4. Going by how they have placed the variants in the brochure/ website, it'll be the most expensive of the lot, sitting just above the XTA.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
I am already seeing quite a few yellow plate Innova Cyrsta, just like its predecessor. But that doesn't deter people from buying the over-priced car. So effectively, we have a problem if Hexa is priced high and we have a problem if it's priced low (VFM pricing). Now this problem can't be cracked.
+1 to that Ashis. Also a small development of the Indian Army opting for Storme as their next, it should quell down a lot of doubt on the reliability fronts. One of the cabbies I was plying with recently advised that one should buy only cars that run as cabs; notwithstanding the general perception, they are generally touted to be reliable workhorses! We also have Mini Coopers, Mercedes and Camry-s with yellow boards near my workplace in BKC.
methecupid is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2016, 13:14   #240
BHPian

Quote:
I strongly agree that almost all cars are being used as cabs on roads today.

Strictly my opinion, No offence please.
TATA is not yet affordable to enjoy that privilege of selling same car for both taxi use & private use. Cab image even for the base variant of Hexa might ruine the image of the car in the layman market . So, I do not want Hexa base variant to start below 12 lakhs Ex-showroom.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks