Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th January 2017, 12:09   #586
BHPian

Test drove the Hexa XTA last evening with family.

Loved the car and booked it. Decision on the variant and seating configuration will be taken once I test drive the Manual version.

Now the wait starts.

-PK
pk_del is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th January 2017, 13:56   #587
BHPian

Has the hexa been crash tested? I recently saw an innova involved in a head collision and it was totaled. How safe is hexa because it has similar proportions.
I'm also confused whether to book the manual XT or the automatic XTA. All my friends are suggesting me against automatics because of future maintenance and low fuel economy. Also I feel I would lose out on 4x4 feature but I don't believe I am an off roading enthusiast. The car would be used by my dad for short trips in city and occasional trips out of city. Your advices are welcome.
Vikvkv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2017, 14:05   #588
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tata Hexa : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikvkv View Post
Has the hexa been crash tested?

I'm also confused whether to book the manual XT or the automatic XTA. The car would be used by my dad for short trips in city and occasional trips out of city. Your advices are welcome.
Pretty sure it's been crash tested because Tata has an inhouse testing facility, but we don't know what the results are

Since the car will be used by your dad, and mostly in the city, an automatic should be the 1st choice - make life as easy and comfortable as possible for your parents.

Regarding fuel economy - if you can afford to buy the Hexa then I'm pretty sure you can afford the little bit of extra fuel that will be consumed.

Sam
samaspire is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th January 2017, 14:30   #589
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikvkv View Post
Has the hexa been crash tested? I recently saw an innova involved in a head collision and it was totaled. How safe is hexa because it has similar proportions.
As of now there are no reports as to how well the hexa would withstand a crash. So we cannot really comment on its safety parameter. Only time would tell regarding this. But i would not really worry, since the car would be put to pretty good amount of tests and since it is going to driven sedately mostly in the city the level of safety provided would be good enough.

P.S. A head on collision at high speeds would totally wrek a car irrespective of its make or build.

Last edited by blackbandit : 8th January 2017 at 14:33.
blackbandit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2017, 18:39   #590
BHPian

Today I test drove the Hexa XTA and the Innova Crysta GX AUTOMATIC back to back.

Hexa XTA - Better ride quality, NVH and seating performance. Body roll is very noticeable, but the car holds the line around corners

Crysta - Engine much livelier though noisier. Relatively bumpy ride. GX interiors too spartan for 19.50Lac on road price. Lesser body roll.
aditya79india is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th January 2017, 10:10   #591
Senior - BHPian

I got a call from Concorde informing the availability of Hexa for test drives from today onwards. Its a XTA version. They told car was available in Lulu mall for display over the weekend. Not sure though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaTuRe View Post
I am looking for a Hexa test drive somewhere in South Kerala. Any pointers?

Comparing xuv, hexa & ertiga.
jacs is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th January 2017, 13:26   #592
BHPian

Some websites have shared leaked accessories brochures for Hexa. Not sure how reliable those images are, but they seem like an interesting set of add-ons.

And a question. Anybody has an idea whether the 'Rough Road' mode changes the torque delivery? We know the Hexa doesn't have a low range gear option. Was curious if this mode only gives drive to the front axle or gives extra torque as well.

And some information. As far as I understand, the front wheel would freewheel with hub locks disengaged during 'Comfort' and 'Dynamic' modes. In 'Auto' mode the front hub locks would be engaged, but propulsion would be given to the front axle only if the 'Torque On Demand' system deems necessary. In 'Rough Road' mode again the front hubs would be locked, along with continuous propulsion to the front axle. Of course, the ratio of propulsion to front and rear axle would be figured out by the TOD system depending on the slippage it senses on different wheels. I hope my understanding of the above is correct. Cheers friends! :-)
Old 9th January 2017, 14:01   #593
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by param22k View Post
Some websites have shared leaked accessories brochures for Hexa. Not sure how reliable those images are, but they seem like an interesting set of add-ons.

And a question. Anybody has an idea whether the 'Rough Road' mode changes the torque delivery? We know the Hexa doesn't have a low range gear option. Was curious if this mode only gives drive to the front axle or gives extra torque as well.

And some information. As far as I understand, the front wheel would freewheel with hub locks disengaged during 'Comfort' and 'Dynamic' modes. In 'Auto' mode the front hub locks would be engaged, but propulsion would be given to the front axle only if the 'Torque On Demand' system deems necessary. In 'Rough Road' mode again the front hubs would be locked, along with continuous propulsion to the front axle. Of course, the ratio of propulsion to front and rear axle would be figured out by the TOD system depending on the slippage it senses on different wheels. I hope my understanding of the above is correct. Cheers friends! :-)
The accessories list was forwarded by a tata dealer so i guess they have to be genuine.
As for the explanations for how drive modes work, am curious to know how it works for 4X2!
abhi7013 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2017, 19:52   #594
Distinguished - BHPian

The Tata Hexa will be introduced from Rs 12.30 lakhs.

Tata Hexa : Official Review-hexasc.jpg
RavenAvi is offline   (42) Thanks
Old 9th January 2017, 20:18   #595
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
Sweet pricing!! Matches XUV at least on this side of the spectrum. Now all that Hexa needs is the price to match XUV variant to variant and this should be wonderful start to a very promising year!
ksameer1234 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 9th January 2017, 20:26   #596
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post

The text on this page seems to have changed, now reads "Test drives and bookings open now".

Hmmm, was it a planned 'leak' 9 days before the d-day to create the right hype?

And if its true, this
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post4111818
looks very probable.

Last edited by McLaren Roxx : 9th January 2017 at 20:32. Reason: Added additional info
McLaren Roxx is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th January 2017, 22:25   #597
BHPian

This is a killer pricing. If they keep this price at launch it will be a success.
HappyRoadie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2017, 23:57   #598
BHPian

So i had the good fortune to drive a Tata Hexa XTA over the weekend.

1) The ride quality is great, glides through really bad roads smoothly and Tata gets 10/10 for this one(purposely took a bad route)
2) The seating position is good not the best though.
3) AC is a chiller - will cool the car in few minutes without a fuss
4) Overall fit and finish feels better
5) Hexa handles like a car

Dislikes

1) The wheezing/gasping problem of the 2.2 dicor is still there on hard acceleration - a common problem in the 2.2 dicor safari models exist in the hexa too
2) Music system is average
3) The car had 1360kms on the ODO and the alignment is bust. The steering is tilted to the left by a good margin and this is a problem. The sales representative told me that the steering misalignment is due to the bad handling by customers but so soon ?
4) The auto gearbox is a bit rough to handle but i hope that gets better with use.

Hope the alignment issue at least gets sorted by TATA very soon.

Experience with Concorde, Chanda Nagar 10/10. Sales Rep Raza did a very good job in coordinating the visit and the test drive.
sunishsamuel is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th January 2017, 23:58   #599
BHPian

Tata have solid product. Everything depends upon how they manage to provide an after sales service on par with their rivals. They have made a great start with a competitive starting price
Old 10th January 2017, 12:38   #600
BHPian

I was floored at the first sight of Hexa coming out the showroom when we were driving in the race course road in Coimbatore. I stopped to have a proper look and my dad who was accompanying me was mighty impressed by its road presence. We headed back home and I casually mentioned to my wife and mom how good the Hexa looked. They weren't willing to believe that I was going gaga over a Tata! Wife suggested why we don't take a test drive if I feel it is so good to look at.

Our family has grown since I bought my brown duster 4 years back but all of us absolutely adore the Dusty as we have come to call it. We have had discussions that we need a 7 seater but never really thought about it seriously.

The entire family got into the dusty and went back to see whether we can get a TD. It was 6:30 pm by the time we reached the showroom on the New Year's Day and it was deserted. We could see the Titanium silver Hexa XTA parked but we started getting shooed away by the guard saying its after hours and we need to get back tomorrow if we want to have a closer look. Fortunately for us the general manager who was on his way out noticed our interest and came to meet us. We were immediately given the key to the vehicle and all of us flocked to the car. On opening the door we were greeted by plush interiors which were at least couple of generations ahead of our dusty. The GM then then said we could take a short TD drive if we wanted. So off we went around the race course road with me behind the wheels. We have been used to the phenomenal ride quality of Duster and despite that this one felt way better. Steering felt a little lighter than duster and also felt smaller to hold. Manoeuvring it was quite easy and so we were back within few minutes after a short TD. We thanked the GM for staying back to help us out and we left.

The next day was a dull one at the office which is situated on the outskirts of the city and to my surprise i got from a person who introduced himself at the SA and he inquired whether I was interested in a longer TD in the Coimbatore Salem highway? I called up my wife and she was also very keen to do it. She joined me at my work place and we fixed up TD at about 2 pm. We were greeted by the Hexa for the second time in the last 24 hours and this time I and wife took turns driving for 5-7 kms on the freeway. We tried out the sports and RC mode and came back mighty impressed. The straight line stability at high speeds, NVH levels were also very good. We asked the SA to drive the car and checked out the captain seats in the rear and man they are comfortable. We then decided to check out the dreaded last seat but were pleasantly surprised that even I could sit comfortably (my height is 5 foot 11 for reference). We thanked the SA for the effort taken from their side and went back home to discuss. I felt that we needed to test drive crysta and XUV 500 to get a good idea as these are also in the same league at least on paper.

Few days later I called up Toyota and they promptly brought their ZX AT to our home at the agreed time, we liked the fit and finish of the car. We took it for a short TD and it was quite easy to drive the car but the ride was quite bumpy even when compared to our good ol dusty. Parents in the 2nd row were not impressed by the ride at all, my wife and I felt the 3rd row was more cramped than the Hexa. When at the end of the TD we asked about the OTR of ZX At as that is the only variant that even came close to fulfilling our requirements we were told it's close to 26.5 lakhs!! With these drawbacks Crysta was more or less ruled out.

I called M&M to see if they had W10 automatic but unfortunately they did not have one available for TD immediately and since it was a Saturday we were free we decided to check out the W10 manual as it has the same interiors and AT could be checked out later. Again it was around 6:30 by the time we arrived for TD but the SA was waiting for us, an opulent purple W 8 was parked in the showroom which looked very nice. My wife and I started checking out the vehicle and we were let down by the interiors which looked very ordinary when compared to crysta and hexa. I sat in the driver's position and was immediately happy with the comfort. The bench in the second row did not provide the same comfort as the captain seats, it was a difficult task to fold the seats back to enter the third row (we could walk between the seats in Hexa and we loved the way the seat tumbled with one touch in crysta). Once we entered we had absolutely no place to sit in the third row, my wife refused to accept that this is a 7 seater or it is an upgrade to dusty. We went for a TD and i absolutely loved the way which the car drove and the amount of power on tap. Manual's gear shift wasn't great but we weren't looking at the manual. When we came back from the TD and asked for the OTR we were shocked that the W10 AT was almost 22 lakhs! Everyone in the family agreed that dated interiors, bumpy ride, absent third row and boot for this rate is not a good buy for our requirements.

My wife wanted one longer test drive of hexa with my parents to check out the rear seat comfort one last time now that we had recently driven crysta and XUV back to back. So, on Sunday afternoon we were back to Tafe Tata in race course road and took the car out for a spin. We checked the Ice playing music from a thumb drive and were happy with the sound quality. I noticed the one of the rear tweeters had come loose from the door (same had been reported in one of the online reviews that i had watched). For a car that looks so well finished this was a let-down.

Once we got back to the showroom we wanted to see if there was any car in blue that we could see and we were taken to their stockyard and shown a car that had just arrived was to be registered next day as MT TD car. We felt the blue really makes the car look stunning.

We came back to home and next day paid Rs 11,000 as booking amount for a blue XTA 6 seater. That's 9 days from first sighting the car to booking. I now wait with my fingers crossed for the pricing on the 18th. I am hoping Tata will be aggressive as expected in the pricing.

Last edited by Aditya : 10th January 2017 at 17:59. Reason: Spacing out paragraphs for better readability
motorhead1981 is offline   (34) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks