Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th January 2017, 15:05   #796
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Tata Hexa : Official Review

On the pricing, the general opinion is that the XUV is an excellently priced vehicle for what it offers. Since the Hexa is close to and even under-cuts the XUV, by the same definition, the Hexa should also be considered very well priced. So not sure why the negative sentiment on pricing. As to the car itself, all that I have read and seen have been mostly positive. I think rarely have we seen such a unanimous opinion about a vehicle.

The XUV was a new territory for Mahindra and went on to become a blockbuster in spite of the initial niggles. Tata is also breaking new grounds with the Hexa and hope they succeed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
it would take some thinking to pick between the XUV500 & Hexa ATs. Both are excellent cars.
GTO, how would you rate the AT performance with respect to up-shifts/downshifts between the two? When I drove the XUV AT, I felt it was one of the best AT boxes around in spite of being a Torque Converter and not a fancy Dual Clutch. Does the AT on the Hexa feel the same?
Rajeevraj is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th January 2017, 15:12   #797
BHPian

Quote:
Surprised to read some comments on the pricing, guys.
For what it offers, I think the Hexa is superbly priced.
+1

Honest pricing, in my opinion. Tata Motors always said the price would be between 12-18L and they have indeed priced it as communicated. Not sure why the fuss.

All said and done, yes the XUV 500 W10 AT is more feature-packed in comparison to the Hexa but in comparison the Hexa gives you

1. Option of captain seats / bench in the middle row (even the Innova Crysta does not give you the option)
2. Usable 3rd row of seats
3. Usable boot space (If you are buying a large vehicle to take around folks, but no space for their luggage, feels silly)
4. Is newer. Fresher looks command premium any day.
5. Has better handling/ride-quality
6. (this is purely a personal one) Does not have a a cheap chinese design (specially the moustache on the back door).
7. Saves you money if you would have otherwise done an audio upgrade (and these do not come cheap).

Guess, you win some - you lose some. Had XUV ownership been niggle free, this could have been a one-sided contest, but read the XUV niggles thread and even after so many years some bugs still still repeat with not so convincing frequency.

To each his own at the end of the day.
sachinayak is online now   (21) Thanks
Old 18th January 2017, 15:39   #798
BHPian

Pricing seems good to me, but what i havent been able to spot ( hope i havent missed it) is that , KITNA DETI HAI ? No mention of ARAI mileage. Does anybody have info on that?
Old 18th January 2017, 15:40   #799
BHPian

I think the pricing is spot on , couldn't understand the fuss about pricing.

Comparing the pricing of XUV, I think there is not much to complain. Though they are almost similarly priced, you are getting a new vehicle which is superior in,

Refinement, Ride Quality, Interior Quality, Tyres, Superb Audio system, Better finish, Cleaner design (personal opinion), Boot space etc etc
Asish_VK is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 18th January 2017, 15:47   #800

Tata Hexa finally reveals Hexa's pricing, starts at Rs 11.99 lakh. Prices Ex Showroom Delhi below:

Variant Price
XE Rs 11,99,000
XM Rs 13,85,000
XMA Rs 15,05,000
XT Rs 16,20,000
XTA Rs 17,40,000
XT 4x4 Rs 17,49,000

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/a...w/56642709.cms

Last edited by Bulls14 : 18th January 2017 at 15:52. Reason: incorrect link posted earlier
Old 18th January 2017, 15:55   #801
BHPian

Good pricing by TATA

I'm surprised by comments that the Hexa should have undercut the XUV 500 by 1.5 lacs to 2 Lacs.

Engine: Equally matched (not considering power/torque to weight)

The Varicor 400 is no sluch to the mHawk

Space:

Hexa scores here, 3rd space and boot. First and 2nd row match up. Captain seat option gives added versatility to Hexa

Ride Quality:

The Hexa, as per reviews is the new bench mark surpassing the Duster (GTO had mentioned that the Hexa has the best ride quality south of 1 Cr.)

ICE:

The 10 speaker JBL audio system is absolutely mind boggling. Hexa trumps the XUV500 here

Equipment:

Both the vehicles are smartly equipped, I see that goodies like sunroof and powered seats are missed, but in my books, I'd rate a feature like ORVM demister as more value adding than powered seats or sun roof.

Interior Part quality and alignment:

Hexa trumps the XUV 500 here. XUV's interior quality and alignment does not feel like a 15 lacs car whereas the Hexa's interiors exudes quality and is tightly packed.

A.S.S and long term reliability:

Well, both TATA and Mahindra are equally matched here. Mahindra has over the years ironed out the niggles to make the XUV what it is today, similarly I expect TATA to iron out niggles(if any)

I think the Hexa is reasonably well priced for what it offers. If I was in the market looking at this segment I'd give Hexa more weightage just for the interior quality and space (3rd row and boot). Though not denying the fact that the XUV is a good package, just that Hexa, for me, seems better.

I appreciate TATA for giving 'Whatever it takes' to design the Hexa. Hope the efforts translate into good volumes

Note: I have driven the XUV and the Storm (Varicor 400) for considerably long duration and been inside the Hexa and experienced the interiors and ICE

Last edited by Karthik Chandra : 18th January 2017 at 15:59.
Karthik Chandra is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 18th January 2017, 15:58   #802
BHPian

With this pricing i feel even Crysta may feel the heat as we may see their sales impacted. Great pricing for Hexa. Need to wait and watch the ASS for Hexa and any niggles to this product.
Old 18th January 2017, 16:03   #803
Senior - BHPian

Here is a price comparison between Tata Hexa & Mahindra XUV5OO

Tata Hexa : Official Review-screenshot_201701181545041.png

Tata Hexa : Official Review-screenshot_201701181537121.png

Points to be noted are

• Prices are Ex-Showroom of the respective cities
  • Price Source - Mahindra Official Website (XUV5OO), Tata Official Website (Hexa - Mumbai & Delhi Only), Bangalore & Chennai Prices are from Carwale.
  • Since Hexa doesn't have a XZ Trim, the XT is the Top Spec Trim
  • XUV5OO has an additional Top Spec Trim 'W10'.
  • Along with Additional Top Spec Trim, the XUV5OO has a AWD AT, which the Hexa lacks.
  • The Engine variant sold in Delhi is a 1.99L, while other cities get 2.2L
  • Prices of Missing variants (1.99L) in Delhi is unavailable

P.S - A Big Thank You to RavenAvi, you made my life much easier by comparing prices across segment.

Last edited by CarguyNish : 18th January 2017 at 16:11.
CarguyNish is online now   (11) Thanks
Old 18th January 2017, 16:05   #804
Distinguished - BHPian

Here is the exact VFM (Value For Money) chart, comparing the Hexa pricing with it's peers from the segment and a segment below:

Tata Hexa : Official Review-vfm.jpg

All prices, ex-showroom Delhi.

Cut-off at 11 lakhs, ex-showroom Delhi. Some lower-priced variants of a few cars have been excluded from the chart accordingly.

Last edited by RavenAvi : 18th January 2017 at 16:21.
RavenAvi is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 18th January 2017, 16:19   #805
Distinguished - BHPian

I think duster/terrano and creta shouldn't be there since they are five seaters. Add the scorpio to this list.
Tejas@perioimpl is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 18th January 2017, 16:30   #806
BHPian

For the features provided, it is indeed a very good pricing.

One important thing while comapring XUV and Hexa is the way it looks. Hexa sure looks smart, but it still has that MPV silhouette. Meanwhile XUV looks like a proper SUV.

So in my opinion, many people looking for an SUV will never even consider Hexa.
Old 18th January 2017, 16:32   #807
BHPian

Price is good, but if one were to pick between the Hexa and the XUV, I think it would be the XUV.

- Hexa is the successor of a failed Aria and despite the new looks, it is still a MUV.

- The new price is not going to wean people away from the XUV as the sticker price do not undercut the XUV.

- As with most Tatas, and especially the Aria, the Hexa is going to depreciate faster than the XUV.

- The taxi segment will continue buying the Innova despite the higher price for its reliability.

Hexa is going to do some numbers in the beginning and then taper off.
civic-sense is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 18th January 2017, 16:52   #808
BHPian

LOL.. people are already writing obituaries of Hexa without even experiencing the car. I am sure there are people who value mature design,comfort, aesthetics, music quality, ride quality over looks, bad plastics, bumpy ride and funky design.

Not a fan boy of Tata but if the product is good it will sell. Like the Tiago. If it fails to excite people and deliver on the promise then it will fail.

Time will tell..
Palio_2005 is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 18th January 2017, 16:59   #809
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

With this pricing I would pick the Hexa over the XUV.

For sheer quality it is a segment above the XUV.

We buy premium cars for the quality and refinement and at times they miss some features.

AT would be my pick though. If you want to do proper off-road trips then get the Endy, or the Safari or the AT 4X4 XUV. If the road conditions are just expected to be bad then the Hexa is ideal.

Felt they have put in the effort on pricing this time.
ACM is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 18th January 2017, 17:02   #810
BHPian

Quote:
Surprised to read some comments on the pricing, guys.
People were waiting eagerly for the pricing and they were expecting a shock pricing, which isn't the case. It is priced well but not superb. More so when one takes a look at the feature list of XUV 500 W6 vs HEXA XM.

XUV W6 features which are absent in Hexa XM :
  1. Bigger Infotainment system with integrated navigation.
  2. Cruise Control.
  3. Automatic Climate Control
  4. Auto headlamps
  5. Auto wipers.
  6. Power Foldable ORVMS
  7. LED parking lights + Static Bending Lights.
  8. Bigger 17 inch wheels.
Features 1-6 are really useful in day to day life and these come at a premium of just 3.5k over Hexa. Ours is a feature driven market and this is what will hurt Hexa most. If Tata had the brand image like Toyota then it wouldn't have mattered much. As reported earlier Mahindra is working on a mild refresh and might add more features to XUV.

XUV.pdf

TataHexaCarBrochure.pdf

Quote:
However, if I were in the market, it would take some thinking to pick between the XUV500 & Hexa ATs. Both are excellent cars.
Tata has a better gearbox (based on reviews), however all depends upon reliability and TASS competency. If Tata gets that right people might prefer hexa as it is the one which feels more luxurious and refined. As reported by bhpians most of the bookings are for XM AT and XT AT.

Last edited by PraNeel : 18th January 2017 at 17:10.
PraNeel is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks