Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th January 2017, 19:50   #826
A M
BHPian

Re: Tata Hexa : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post
A monocoque makes better sense as a daily drive.

Moreover I don't think anybody who wants a thoroughbred SUV would go for the Hexa either.
Ofcourse neither of them make sense to someone looking for a thoroughbred SUV.

I am not contesting if a monocoque or a ladder frame makes for a better daily drive. XUV is also a very capable vehicle. All I am saying is that when you say that Hexa is still an MUV, then I think XUV is not an SUV either.

One of the target audience for both these vehicles is larger families who need more than 5 seats for those highway trips together. Such families generally have another car at their disposal for the city run about. I think for them Hexa makes more sense with a better and plush ride quality as compared to XUV.
A M is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 18th January 2017, 20:18   #827
Senior - BHPian

One thing people seem to be overlooking is that in terms of features the xuv w8 is comparable to the hexa xt. The w 10 is a notch above. Hence if we compare the xt with the w8 the hexa certainly seems overpriced

Last edited by himanshugoswami : 18th January 2017 at 20:25.
himanshugoswami is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th January 2017, 20:23   #828
Senior - BHPian

Everyones' commenting how good the Hexa's interiors are, Aria too (when launched) had very good interiors. Even wrt the bench seats, these are the same as Tata always offered in the Aria.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibbs View Post
...As long as it is nimble enough. None of the reviews so far mention the Hexa to be more difficult to drive in the city vis a vis the XUV...
Almost all official reviewers have said the Hexa requires more effort to steer at slow speeds, they've even mentioned it weighs up well at higher speeds. XUVs steering is lighter at slow speeds, and thats also the case with higher speeds (like/dislike of this is ones personal preference).

Quote:
Originally Posted by A M View Post
...I think XUV is not an SUV either.
Not everyone wants the full experience of an SUV all the time. Mild off-roading requires a soft-roader with decent approach & departure angles.

Quote:
One of the target audience for both these vehicles is larger families who need more than 5 seats for those highway trips together. Such families generally have another car at their disposal for the city run about. I think for them Hexa makes more sense with a better and plush ride quality as compared to XUV.
Depends, most affluent families generally tend to take 2 cars if the entire (7 ppl) troop is to be hauled. Mostly as a safety precaution (also due to luggage) & its better to manage situations with 2 cars. As such the demand is not generally of an full-time 7 seater.

Yes, it *can* be used as a 7 seater for that occasional long drive, but generally those events are mostly few & far between (1 or 2 times a year) to have a car specifically for 7 people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami View Post
One thing people seem to be overlooking is that in terms of features the xuv w8 is comparable to the hexa xt. The w 10 is a notch above. Hence if we compare the xt with the w8 the hexagon certainly seems overpriced
+1. Moreover the XUV is time tested in the hands of plenty customers.

IMO it could've been justified if there was a confidence building pitch with a superlative warranty offer by Tata, but theres none of that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarguyNish View Post
Seriously ? Tata !! What have you done to this Impressive car ?

11kmpl for Automatic, that too a 2WD . I am sure many will stay away from this car despite it being so good just for this Low FE alone. Not that XUV5OO & Innova Crysta are much more efficient, but i am disappointed. In reality, one can expect somewhere around 8-9 kmpl.

A survey also proved that Fuel Cost is a huge contributor to High Running Costs.
Dismal FE for an engine the same capacity (with the same bore & stroke), was a given coz the car is heavier by ~720kg compared the XUV, AFAIK.

Last edited by GrammarNazi : 18th January 2017 at 20:39.
GrammarNazi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th January 2017, 20:24   #829
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
From a live chat session on the official Tata Hexa website:

[center]Attachment 1596810
Seriously ? Tata !! What have you done to this Impressive car ?

11kmpl for Automatic, that too a 2WD . I am sure many will stay away from this car despite it being so good just for this Low FE alone. Not that XUV5OO & Innova Crysta are much more efficient, but i am disappointed. In reality, one can expect somewhere around 8-9 kmpl.

A survey also proved that Fuel Cost is a huge contributor to High Running Costs.
CarguyNish is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th January 2017, 20:39   #830
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
Superb pricing in my opinion!

If you ask me if i will be willing to pay 2.8 lakhs more than a top end manual creta for the top trim manual Hexa, what will i be considering?

Presence - check
Space - check
7 seats - check
Amazing ride quality - check
Powerful engine - check
Better interior quality - check
Safety - check
Better Equipment - check
powerful engine?- I think the power to weight will have to be checked and the Creta could well be zippier(as the hexa is a lot heavier)
Better interior quality? Honestly, while a huge huge upgrade for a Tata, a few of the plastic components are still below par when compared to a Hyundai- seat adjustments knobs, glove box.
Safety? If I am not wrong, both have 6 airbags and the like?
Anyways, to each his own, I think Creta and the hexa are from two different classes. But yes, considering the leap of faith a customer is being asked to take, considering the past reputation(perception actually), I would've been happier had they undercut the competition (read Xuv not innova crysta).
handsofsteel is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 18th January 2017, 20:40   #831
A M
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammarNazi View Post

Not everyone wants the full experience of an SUV all the time. Yet, mild off-roading requires a soft-roader with decent approach & departure angles.
I such cases also, Hexa will do a pretty good job. Maybe a tad better than the XUV given the reviews that are coming.

Quote:
Depends, most affluent families generally tend to take 2 cars if the entire (7 ppl) troop is to be hauled. Mostly as a safety precaution (also due to luggage) & its better to manage situations with 2 cars. As such the demand is not generally of an full-time 7 seater.

Yes, it *can* be used as a 7 seater for that occasional long drive, but those events are mostly few & far between (1 or 2 times a year) to have a car specifically for 7 people.
Depends upon the personal choice of the family and the purpose of the road trip. You can always haul 7 people in two hatchbacks or two sedans. Why would someone buy a 7 seater?
Thats why I said that One of the target audiences is larger families. Also, if you would want to use it for a daily driver chauffeur driven vehicle, even then the better ride quality with captain seats in the middle row make more sense for such kind of a buyer.

I think we are going way here.
Old 18th January 2017, 20:43   #832
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Almost all official reviewers have said the Hexa requires more effort to steer at slow speeds, they've even mentioned it weighs up well at higher speeds. XUVs steering is lighter at slow speeds, and thats also the case with higher speeds (like/dislike of this is ones personal preference).
Agreed. But is it because of monocoque chassis or is it just because the steering is calibrated that way. The point I intend to ask is how much more effort does Hexa need as a daily drive over the XUV to really be a deal breaker?

Yes Aria had good interiors for its time and it flopped. So Hexa too should. Is it that what you intend to say.
vibbs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th January 2017, 20:48   #833
BHPian

Looking at the number of XUVs in every corner of the city, i would go with hexa! Even if XUV offers more features. This would be the main reason for me!
Second would be, the ride quality and interiors. What will i do with acceleration and top speed, if am surrounded by cheap plastic? Atleast that's the impression created when you sit in hexa and immediately in an XUV!
Third being the audio!
Speaking of audio, xe and xm do not have JBL. The speakers are of another brand.. :(
Old 18th January 2017, 21:21   #834
Distinguished - BHPian

Official Press Release also mentions the ARAI-certified Fuel Efficiency number:

Tata Hexa : Official Review-press-r.jpg

Quote:
07:30 pm, Wednesday 18 Jan 2017

Make way for Tata Motors’ new Lifestyle vehicle – ‘HEXA’
Starts at INR 12,08,798 lakh, ex-showroom Maharashtra
  • Imposing Stance and contemporary SUV silhouette to conquer any terrain
  • Available in six variants – XE, XM, XT, XMA, XTA and XT 4×4, starting at INR 12,08,798 lakh ex-showroom Maharashtra
  • 5 exciting colour options – Pearl White (PW), Arizona Blue (ARB), Tungsten Silver (TNS), Sky Grey (SKG) and Platinum Silver (PTS)
DESIGN THAT CREATES AN IMPACT

Based on Tata Motors’ IMPACT Design philosophy using elements created across Tata Motors Design studios in the United Kingdom, Italy and India

POWER TO OUTPERFORM