Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 24th January 2017, 18:33   #991
BHPian

Re: Tata Hexa : Official Review

Taking the pricing of the Hexa forward, versus the XUV. Mahindra had launched the XUV at a sub-10 lakh and gradually increased the prices to its current level once it gained market confidence.

If the Hexa was priced about 1.5-2 lakh lower than the current, it would have gained much more interest. Commercial exploitation would have taken place once the market had absorbed the initial lower prices. 20 lakh on road for the top end is a mental block that many a customer is not able to overcome.
wanderlust is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 24th January 2017, 19:41   #992
Distinguished - BHPian

White Hexa on display at a dealership showroom in Pune.

Tata Hexa : Official Review-image2.jpg

Tata Hexa : Official Review-image1.jpg

Tata Hexa : Official Review-image3.jpg

Tata Hexa : Official Review-image4.jpg

Tata Hexa : Official Review-image7.jpg

Tata Hexa : Official Review-image6.jpg

Tata Hexa : Official Review-image5.jpg

Tata Hexa : Official Review-image8.jpg

Tata Hexa : Official Review-image9.jpg

Received on WhatsApp.
RavenAvi is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 24th January 2017, 22:23   #993
BHPian

Quote:
The latest reports suggest that the automatic variants of Hexa are in great demand and the waiting period of these variants could go up as the demand gets high. While Tata is yet to reveal the booking numbers of Hexa in the country, reports suggest that the pre-booking window of Tata garnered over 3,000 bookings.
Source:
http://www.ibtimes.co.in/high-demand...-longer-713423

Quote:
Tata Hexa automatic in high demand
As per information we have gathered from dealers, the two automatic trims – the XMA and XTA – are in high demand. At the launch, Tata also announced a minimum waiting period of eight weeks or around two months for the Hexa. However, booking trends suggest that buyers looking for the automatic variant may have to wait longer than those opting for the manual.
Source:
http://www.autocarindia.com/auto-new...nd-404018.aspx
anthiltg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th January 2017, 22:36   #994
Distinguished - BHPian

And some shots of the Hexa in Sky Grey from the same showroom in Pune.

Comes closest to a Hexa in Black.

Tata Hexa : Official Review-image9.jpg

Tata Hexa : Official Review-image4.jpg

Tata Hexa : Official Review-image7.jpg

Tata Hexa : Official Review-image5.jpg

Tata Hexa : Official Review-image8.jpg

Tata Hexa : Official Review-image11.jpg

Tata Hexa : Official Review-image6.jpg

Tata Hexa : Official Review-image2.jpg

Tata Hexa : Official Review-image1.jpg

Attaching a pic of the rear axle of the XTA, showing the marked LSD (Limited Slip Differential).

Tata Hexa : Official Review-image12.jpg

All pics received on WhatsApp.

Last edited by RavenAvi : 24th January 2017 at 22:59.
RavenAvi is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 24th January 2017, 23:36   #995
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rikhav View Post

Here is the video my friend captured who was accompanying me
While most have told about this as a feature, had a chance to try. Either user from within can unlock using the press button on center console or from driver side. Below video also shows the knob can be operated at ease.

Old 25th January 2017, 02:26   #996
BHPian

Hi Sameer, points taken. Some counters though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksameer1234 View Post
...there are lots of Tata vehicles on the road. In metros, Indica and Indigo are everywhere. In smaller cities, Zest and Bolt have found good acceptance.
This fact furthers my point regarding brand perception. Seeing mostly sub-10L products from a brand makes it hard for customers to relate it to premium category which is double the price. Just randomly test brand recall for 20L cars and customers would mostly come up with Toyotas, Hondas, etc. Ask them about a sub-20L butch SUV and Safari would be one of the first that'll come to their mind. TML should've been trying to cash in on this recall which is a huge marketing asset.

Quote:
Aria was dead, hence Hexa. See, Aria was never a bad product. It just was misfortune of poor pricing which led it to its grave. Otherwise, it was as competent as anything on road. I am sure everyone agrees.
'Aria' being a dead product was in terms of its failure in the market. This doesn't mean it was a bad/dead machine. However, the overall product would encompass not just the core product. It would also include the price, reliability, after-sales, promotion, positioning, etc. There was obviously something wrong with multiple aspects of the product for it to have failed miserably.

Quote:
I guess pricing is good in comparison to competitors. Yes, Hexa is not the most feature-packed but matches to what others offer, give or take a few features here or there.

Had this been Toyota or Honda Hexa, there would have been queues outside showrooms. Expecting unrealistic pricing just because it is Tata isn't prudent. Yes, Hexa could be cheaper by say 20-30k but for a vehicle costing 20L on road 20-30k off pricing shouldn't be counted as a blunder.
The point was about a good positioning for the product at launch, which includes pricing. Good pricing is critical to the Hexa's success and the right price point can be debated on endlessly. However, considering the scenario of the failed Aria, TML could've been more strategic with the pricing to give the new product an initial push. Irrespective, pricing is not the only possible strategy. There could also have been other strategies like launching a new premium brand, which I've discussed in earlier posts. I've called this poor product management in terms of strategy employed, not a specific blunder with pricing alone. I'm not trying to flame TML or Hexa. My love for the Safari is irrefutable and I really do want TML to do well in the PV segment. My endeavour is to critically analyse their product strategy, which I believe is not in order.

PS: Another point. If TML really wanted to position the Hexa as an effective off-roader, they could've considered going with the 2-speed TOD transfer case. Low gear option would really have added value to the premium for XT4x4 and made the off-roader SUV claim more credible. Cheers!
param22k is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th January 2017, 09:56   #997
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by param22k View Post
This fact furthers my point regarding brand perception. Seeing mostly sub-10L products from a brand makes it hard for customers to relate it to premium category which is double the price.
This is indeed a problem and not just with Tata but also to some extent with Maruti Suzuki (failed Vitara, mild success of S-cross). Tata should ideally have graduated in steps. Presently, they have nothing between budget and opulent offerings.

Quote:
However, considering the scenario of the failed Aria, TML could've been more strategic with the pricing to give the new product an initial push.
Very true. Tata could have disrupted the market with Tiago like pricing which is i10 value at celerio price. May be they did try and offer Innova value at XUV price but looks like everyone at Tata is way too scared to speak Hexa and Innova in same sentence, and this is totally understandable.

Quote:
PS: Another point. If TML really wanted to position the Hexa as an effective off-roader, they could've considered going with the 2-speed TOD transfer case. Low gear option would really have added value to the premium for XT4x4 and made the off-roader SUV claim more credible. Cheers!
I don't think Hexa is intended to be an off-roader. This is a lifestyle people-mover meant to tackle infamous Indian roads. There is something brewing which will possibly be a true successor to Safari.
Old 25th January 2017, 10:04   #998
rkg
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust View Post
Mahindra had launched the XUV at a sub-10 lakh and gradually increased the prices to its current level once it gained market confidence.
XUV was launched at a price of 10.8/11.8/12.8. The price of XUV was never below 10 lakhs
Old 25th January 2017, 10:20   #999
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkg View Post
XUV was launched at a price of 10.8/11.8/12.8. The price of XUV was never below 10 lakhs
Moreover, it was launched in Sept 2011, more than 5 years ago, shouldn't the prices be adjusted for inflation? If so, then Hexa starting @ 12 lakhs is much VFM compared to XUV launch price, isn't it?
teemus is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th January 2017, 10:28   #1000
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
And some shots of the Hexa in Sky Grey from the same showroom in Pune.
Comes closest to a Hexa in Black.
RavenAvi,

Thanks for all the your efforts in sharing latest updates about HEXA.

By the way, what happened to your booking? Hope you are proceeding. I am one of those who are waiting on the sidelines and waiting for Bhpian's ownership review(s).
hillsnrains is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th January 2017, 10:34   #1001
BHPian

Even if Tata were selling Hexa at 15L, people would simply remove the 20L tag and make the same statement. So, I don't believe the pricing is keeping the people away. On the other hand, if people really think they would buy a Tata for 18 or 19 L, of course, there are Hexa variants priced at that point but you will still find statements made against buying a Tata. It boils down to people's desire to own things beyond what they can afford. I am not saying it is bad, but that's what is happening now.
prakash_ajp is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 25th January 2017, 10:38   #1002
BHPian

Quote:

I don't think Hexa is intended to be an off-roader. This is a lifestyle people-mover meant to tackle infamous Indian roads. There is something brewing which will possibly be a true successor to Safari.
There is something brewing? Regarding the safari? If so, then me and many other people like me would cancel the current booking and wait. Hence, could you provide a link as to where you came across this? Please don't direct me to a blog where people just speculate!
Old 25th January 2017, 10:38   #1003
Senior - BHPian

Sorry abit OT : Theres some heat reflective coat kindof treatment to get that extreme gloss (like the Hexa shown in the pics have), anyone knows what it is ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillsnrains View Post
... I am one of those who are waiting on the sidelines and waiting for Bhpian's ownership review(s).
Hi, Sorry to butt in, but what I'm suggesting to my friends is not to think too deep into ifs & buts, and that its a good product from a sufficiently decent company.

Quote:
...There is something brewing which will possibly be a true successor to Safari.
Its too late for that, don't you think.
Old 25th January 2017, 10:38   #1004
BHPian

Tata need to go back a decade in terms of market positioning. The Safari advertisements of yesteryear were so legendary, before Mahindra snatched it from them (the Original safari commercial: "Make your own road" and thereafter the "Reclaim your life"). Ahh Nostalgia!!

Classic Sierra one:

Last one is from a test drive of Hexa:

Last edited by Nav-i-gator : 25th January 2017 at 10:58.
Nav-i-gator is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th January 2017, 11:17   #1005
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi7013 View Post
There is something brewing? Regarding the safari? If so, then me and many other people like me would cancel the current booking and wait. Hence, could you provide a link as to where you came across this? Please don't direct me to a blog where people just speculate!
From what I know, the new Safari is in works but is two years away from launch. It should be displayed in Auto Expo 2018.

Most Viewed