Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th February 2017, 10:44   #1426
BHPian

Re: Tata Hexa : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by PraNeel View Post
Overdrive have come up with their comparison video of Hexa and Innova Crysta. It felt like a paid one contrary to the balanced ones from the reviewer.
Yes, I agree. If you had noticed, the reviewers comment has been conveniently distorted by the voice overlay that is inserted every now and then. And the voice on the overlay, tries to jump in and make a different conclusion every time. Also, the sound bytes on Hexa itself was less and the voice over mostly talks about Innova all the time.

It sure signals that the competitors have started feeling the pressure. A reasonably good start for Hexa.
Old 24th February 2017, 11:04   #1427
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi7013 View Post
No, the arm rest is pretty sturdy and of excellent quality.
However, the lid of the armrest doesn't fold back into the seat which might make it fall back on the arm rest in bumps or heavy breaking.
I tried driving around with the lid open. It did not close though which is good. May vary from car to car.
Looks like the whole cup holder idea was an after thought. Initially what was supposed to be a storage space for a mobile phone or wallet was probably converted to a cup holder cum utility box. I feel so mainly because of the shallow depth of the box. Had the intent been to have cup holders right from the beginning, the lid falling off/ not fitting flush issue would have have caught the designers eye.

Moreover given our traffic and road conditions, in most cases cup holders are probably not very practical to use.
Kishen.padiyar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2017, 12:02   #1428
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kishen.padiyar View Post
I was not too convinced when ACI compared Hexa and XUV. The result of the comparison was something like "on pure merit alone it is the XUV that emerges on top but the Hexa offers lot more and is more VFM".
And now they have changed their tune, according to their latest comparo between the Mahindra & the Tata:

Quote:
The Hexa is more refined and superbly built with lots of detailing, and the interiors, especially the seats, are something for Tata to really be proud of. It scores high on space and comfort, and its tough underpinnings give it a go-anywhere ability. In a hotly contested segment where image, presence and premium feel play a very important role, these are the things that matter more, and that’s why the Hexa is our pick.
Tata Hexa : Official Review-dsc04032.jpg

Tata Hexa : Official Review-dsc0893.jpg

Tata Hexa : Official Review-dsc1136.jpg

Actually, it's a pretty balanced and in-depth analysis of both cars according to their strengths and weaknesses. Full marks to Gavin for the effort.

Full Comparo Report by ACI
RavenAvi is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 24th February 2017, 12:13   #1429
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
Actually, it's a pretty balanced and in-depth analysis of both cars according to their strengths and weaknesses. Full marks to Gavin for the effort.
Thanks @RavenAvi. I was not aware of this updated detailed comparison.

On a different note, finally was it the Crysta or Hexa that found space in your garage?

Last edited by Rehaan : 24th February 2017 at 12:28. Reason: Shortening quote
Old 24th February 2017, 12:15   #1430
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rshnvjy View Post
Test drove the XTA model.......
We've booked a Sky Grey XT 4x2, 6 seater.
Pardon me, but you TD the Automatic and have booked the Manual.
Did you take the test drive for the Manual as well and what made you change the decision?
Also, as per comments from various reviewers and members, the automatic transmission is the preferred mode of power delivery for most of them.
All in all, do take an informed decision and congratulations for the new purchase.
turbospooler is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2017, 13:06   #1431
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbospooler View Post
Pardon me, but you TD the Automatic and have booked the Manual.
Did you take the test drive for the Manual as well and what made you change the decision?
Also, as per comments from various reviewers and members, the automatic transmission is the preferred mode of power delivery for most of them.
All in all, do take an informed decision and congratulations for the new purchase.

Yes, I test drove the automatic but we were intent on purchasing the manual version from the very beginning. The automatic is indeed convenient but we prefer the slightly lower price of the XT 4x2 as compared to the auto, as well as the lower maintenance on the gearbox etc. Moreover, the manual XT also provides ESP and traction control which we feel is important. More than that, you could say that me and my dad both love manual transmissions.

I drove the auto primary because the dealerships didn't have manual TD cars as of then. Now my dad will be checking out the manual model in detail on Monday. I did not find the mild inconvenience of the shifter to be a deal breaker. If anything, it seemed easier to use than the Punto that we had.
rshnvjy is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th February 2017, 13:19   #1432
Distinguished - BHPian

I don't plan to buy a Hexa. I just don't need something that big.

But there's a single reason I come and follow this thread - there's this thrill of excitement to read about this extremely capable product that Tata has come out with. And to read the comments of the various forum members who've test driven one and have come away impressed by the Hexa is just awesome.

The last time I had this sort of excitement was in the build-up to the Nano. Unfortunately, the overwhelming attention there ended up working slightly against that little wonder. This time around, all the talk has been after the launch of the Hexa, and it is mostly positive.

Tata's passenger vehicles have always had VFM/'bang for the buck' as their #1 selling point. I feel the Hexa breaks that trend - it is a supremely competent product first and foremost, and at a very pragmatic and VFM price point.

I would like to see the Hexa exported, and see what the international press have to say about this. By far, this is going to be the best offering from our Indian manufacturers.

To echo my opening line: I don't plan to buy a Hexa. I would love to test drive one, but I'm afraid I'll end up liking it too much, based on the various opinions I've read.
arunphilip is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 24th February 2017, 13:29   #1433
BHPian

BRAWN & BUTCH

Tata Hexa : Official Review-fullsizerender.jpg

Test drove the XT manual again, this time, along with my wife and kid. This is my 3rd test drive of the Hexa and with each time it grows more on me, I learn more about the car and it continues to impress on many accounts. I had to pen this down...

Looks:

The car looks 'regal' and moves with a mature 'all-knowing' elegance. As it pulls up near you, its easy to notice that its in no hurry, as if its not meant for haste. No childish sprint in its toes, no bounce, no drama. It stands butch in its stance as its massive 19 inch wheels spin on arrogantly to pull back the road. Its not trying to grab attention, not crying out loud, ...it doesn't have to. These humongous juggernaut alloys look perfect on this ute, and I ain’t downsizing for the moon!

As others clamour for road space, the Hexa holds its ground with a road presence and a casual apathy that comes only with seasoned experience of effective diplomacy. This is no wanna-be teenager with a tattoo and mohawk. This is the cigar smoking statesman, never short on suave.

Take a long tiring walk around the sprawling Hexa, and a gentle tap around should give you confidence regarding robust build quality. No overdone plastic panels to save weight, these are brawny solid metal panels that can arm wrestle a freight train. I don’t see the Hexa’s weight as always a penalty, it’s unfair. Its not lean mean training for the 100m sprint, its a beefed up rugby quarterback. Mass… it needs.

Tata Hexa : Official Review-fullsizeoutput_1c.jpeg

Colour:

I have seen the Hexa in 3 colours, Grey, Silver and Blue. TATA's 'launch' colour choices have always been good, carving an identity to that product in its segment (Urban Bronze for Storme, Sunburst Orange in Tiago, Blue for the Hexa) And this is the colour that generally looks best on it., though personal preferences may differ. I love the blue that the Hexa wears, and gives it an unmistakably premium silhouette in the dark. I would have preferred if they could have gone easy on some chrome, but you know how it works here.

Interiors :

The air of no-nonsense elegance continues as you step into the cabin. Love the quality and finish of all that you see and touch. Some bits like the rubber sheathing gland in the neck of handbrake lever was not well finished for e.g., but overall the cabin is a large spacious happy place to be with good, lasting quality.

The plush captain seats are beefy and are so comfortable that Joey Tribbiani wouldn't complain. The seats have good travel and can liberate acres of leg space for the second row if desired.

When the driver seat is pulled back to my driving position and I tried to disembark, I found my leg hitting the travel-channel on which the seat slides. Its got a high coaming and will take some time to getting used to, or must be cushioned up.

With last row up, still can manage a few small bags. It would have been criminal if the last row ended right at the tail gate with no luggage space at all.

Folded the last row down and its irksome that it doesn't fold flat. It does liberate a huge boot, but would have loved it if it flushed flat. Captain seats are like La-z-Boys and wonderful to sink into. Im yet to see a middle row bench seat variant to comment on that. It would be a tough choice to choose between the two- a bench to accommodate one more person/practicality that a continuos bench offers in the 2nd row Vs the uber comfortable captains.

Air con is bone chilling, true to a TATA, but higher notches blow loud . Again coming form the Storme EX, relieved in this case to just to set the ACC, sit back and relax.

Sun blinds are a neat touch. The door latches make me wonder why they didn't carry the Storme locks to the Hexa. The lock and latch in the same conduit compared to Hexa's lock on top and latch on door arrangement. Its a nice thing that warranty sunroofs are available at a premium of 90k over the price. Don’t know how it looks and feels, to comment on it. Have to see it in flesh if its position is actually usable/required.

The horizontal ( 'flexible') LED strip that runs in rear of the vehicle is a neat looker! This is its defining silhouette in the dark.

Ride Quality:

As you fire up the ignition, the sedate behemoth, shakes to a start. A shudder more pronounced than even my Storme. Once its woken up, it settles down ready to take orders. Start moving ahead... and you learn that Weight, like age, is just a number. The sure footed 2 tonner moves planted on the road and gets going. Speaking of its boastful ride quality, the Hexa is an arrogant snob that refuses to pay any heed to road conditions. Good roads, bad roads, no roads...these seem to be just third world problems the Hexa is blissfully oblivious to. Puddles, potholes and breakers are hushed up with mechanical bribery.

If you ever decide to get angry at Hexa, it's ride quality is one thing that can make you forgive and forget its other shortcomings. There are some things money can buy, for other things there is.. aftermarket. Ride quality however, is priceless.

The Hexa never breaks a sweat itself, and doesn't let you do either, as it powers over terrain, suspension doing its duty diligently. It is always calm and composed and nestles its occupants in serene comfort. While under the hood, the Varicor is doing its bit in pushing this beast ahead, twisting a good sounding 400 torque, enough to take along solid walls with it.

Took the Hexa over broken bad roads and its GC played to its strength. (Quoted as 200mm and rumoured by the SA as a measured 209mm) Took it to a more messy muddy stretch and It made quick work of it. Let’s not even talk about rubble, the mammoth smashes it to fine consistency with a stomp. Those of us who perceived the hexa as that spoilt rich kid who can’t hold is own, when the going gets tough, are in for a sweet surprise. The Hexa shows that it has worked its way up from the ranks, never hesitating to get its hands dirty. With its robust BOF chassis and that earnest suspension, looking at the decent approach and departure angles (21,25 degress), I am confident enough to punish the hexa within reasonable limits of sanity. It is definitely no mud plugger, it’s not meant for that, but it won’t shy away if you enlist it for battle duties. It actually enjoys that kind of action.

I compared my proper SUV Storme's dimensions and overhangs with the Crossover Hexa, to get some idea.
Tata Hexa : Official Review-screen-shot-20170224-10.22.12-am.pngTata Hexa : Official Review-screen-shot-20170224-10.34.46-am.png

Drivability:

I was sold on the Auto variant I test drove last time, but definitely missed the AWD option in it. It was lacking ESP,Traction Control and Hill Descent also.

This time, it was a top end manual and the first relief was the 'easy' clutch. My Storme has made my left leg stronger over years of ownership, with its heavy clutch. The Hexa was remarkably different but I felt its pedal had too long a travel to depress it to get beyond surety. Have to check it in stop-go traffic to have any real time effect of this sink in. Manual Gear box is good and has improved much beyond my Storme, (but constantly comparing it with the superior Auto in XTA is unavoidable in your head). For someone, spoilt by the Command Seating that Safari offers, I enjoyed the Hexa's driving position also and wouldn't complain in this regard.

My wife's turn to drive...

My wife did not take much time in finding her driving position using the height adjust lever, (same as in Storme) but I would have preferred electronic seat adjustment option.I miss that. My wife, a Figo veteran, was very happy with the ease of driving this huge vehicle and comfortably commandeered this beast down roads narrow and wide. She was finding no problem in operating this manual box compared to the endeavour we had rented out last month.

Features:

I'm personally more happy with mechanical soundness and reliability than a laundry list of gizmos and features if I had to choose between the two. But as its claim to premium fame, the Hexa cannot skimp on features. As its apparent from the brochure, it has many feel good features which will keep a lot of people happy.

The 10 speaker setup is pleasing and Harman Kardon ICE is worth the price tag. The touch screen's size doesn't bother me. I would have preferred inbuilt maps though. Juke Car App ,Remote App and those other things... etc sound like cool things that fetch some bragging rights, but I don't know when I would use them. Must have features like Cruise control is absolutely required and happy it works well. Tried voice command, and it recognised what I was saying on 3rd attempt. (In Hexa's defence, even Siri takes two!)

Steering mounted controls are a charm. As I fiddled with the controls in HU I was wondering what I would do with mood lighting , my most dispensable feature in the Hexa, and I turned back to see my son having fun playing with the coloured illumination. Something to amuse him and keep him busy?

…..We live in confusing times. Anything that sits on haunches and has some plastic cladding stuck to it, is badged as an SUV. The Hexa has been called many things, MUV, MPV, SUV, Hybrid SUV, etc….Its all that and none of that..What’s in a name? The Hexa doesn’t bother about what it’s called. It doesn’t have time for a name. It doesn’t conform to our idea of category, nomenclature. It’s busy being an all round package for the discerning buyer who loves both comfort and carnage. Its sole aim is to do ‘Whatever It Takes’ to put a smile on its master and it makes an honest attempt at that…….

Bottom Line:

The Hexa is not the perfect car, sure there are bits that could have been done better. But with each test drive, it reassures, surprises and tugs at those strings. It is an impressive overall package for a Crossover., that gives a comfortable ride, a good list of creature comforts and features. Great for most of its daily life usage. And as its USP, can very comfortably tackle moderate off the road trails and take your family safely overland to exotic places if you demand it to. The Hexa, as I see it, is more than a commuter, it’s a lifestyle choice. If with around 20 lacs, I was allowed to choose only one car for all I need to get done. the Hexa is the answer.

The only crib I have is for the want of a AT AWD, which I expect and hope will come in .

//Being a cult follower of the iconic Safari, I'm eagerly waiting for the next-gen safari whenever it comes. The Q501 holds good promise and Im sure TATA will give it all its got. But in all that enthusiasm, IF the price goes out of my reach, I'm already gladly convinced on a HEXA !.//

Tata Hexa : Official Review-fullsizeoutput_1d.jpeg

Note to Mods: Apologies for reposting. Tried to contact support and webmaster to edit and add to last post, but couldn't do it.

Last edited by vigneshkumar31 : 24th February 2017 at 13:34.
vigneshkumar31 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 24th February 2017, 15:18   #1434
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kishen.padiyar View Post

Both occasions, I was really impressed with the proceedings at the showroom. I feel this vehicle definitely has the potential to create a buzz in the SUV/Crossover segment.
Similar experiences. There was a rattling sound which turned out to be very minor. The response however from both the dealer and the service folks was quick and impressive! Things like these go a long way in building the brand!
abhi7013 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2017, 15:33   #1435
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi7013 View Post
Similar experiences. There was a rattling sound which turned out to be very minor. The response however from both the dealer and the service folks was quick and impressive! Things like these go a long way in building the brand!
Agreed! My experience with TASS (Concorde - Diary Circle) for the last 4 odd years has been very satisfactory. My Aria has visited the service center for a total of 7 times in the last 57K kms. Routine service/check-up at 1K, 13k, 27K, 43K and 53K kms. Apart from this, one visit during their event called monsoon free checkup camp (I went just to see how things are organized, there was no issue/complaint with the vehicle) and one visit for replacement of wiper blades under warranty as they were not cleaning up to the mark.

During the 60K service at 53K kms, the SA called and told me that the coolant tank has developed a very small leak. They proactively raised the warranty request and subsequently it was replaced under extended warranty.

I agree that whatever I mentioned above is slightly off topic but I thought I'll share this good feedback on the product and also the service experience which may help build some confidence in prospective Hexa buyers in this Forum.
Kishen.padiyar is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 24th February 2017, 17:54   #1436
rkg
Senior - BHPian

I had traveled in a Innova Crysta V yesterday for about 220 Km.
Car was nice. Some observations in comparison with ARIA/Hexa
Crysta too does not have a dead pedal
Crysta hand rest was also not usable either by driver or front passenger, unless the seat is fully pushed back. Even then only half of the hand rest can be used.
Crysta comes with 205/65 R 16 tyres and drum brakes at the back as against all four disc brakes and 235/70 R16 tyres in Hexa base versions
Tyre well do not have any plastic cladding at all.
Door pockets can take one litre bottles as against 1.5 or even 2 litres bottles in Hexa/ARIA
On road price was 22+( for yellow board registration) For White board it will be much more

Mods: Please delete the post if it is unrelated to this thread.

Last edited by rkg : 24th February 2017 at 17:55.
rkg is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 24th February 2017, 21:12   #1437
BHPian

I went for a test drive to Concorde motors opp Christ college in mid Dec-16. We had a short test drive of XT manual model and was impressed. I did a pre-Booking of Arizona Blue XT model on the same day.

I upgraded my booking to XTA after price announcement considering the good reviews.

Got vehicle delivered yesterday evening. My experience of Concorde motors is much better than Suresh Auto ( Thar purchase) or Dakshin Honda ( My first generation Honda City) and slightly below Pratham Motors ( Grand Vitara). I seriously don't understand the negative experience with Tata motors sales experience. My Hexa was purchased through a company based leasing program and it took 15 days after Concorde motors has informed me abt vehicle allotment. Throughout this period, Concorde motors kept me updated on the progress.

My initial view of the vehicle is awesome ride quality, good interiors and good road presence.

Will post my initial ownership review after driving 1000 Kms
sureshurs is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 24th February 2017, 21:49   #1438
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureshurs View Post
I went for a test drive to Concorde motors opp Christ college in mid Dec-16. We had a short test drive of XT manual model and was impressed. I did a pre-Booking of Arizona Blue XT model on the same day.

I upgraded my booking to XTA after price announcement considering the good reviews.

Got vehicle delivered yesterday evening. My experience of Concorde motors is much better than Suresh Auto ( Thar purchase) or Dakshin Honda ( My first generation Honda City) and slightly below Pratham Motors ( Grand Vitara). I seriously don't understand the negative experience with Tata motors sales experience. My Hexa was purchased through a company based leasing program and it took 15 days after Concorde motors has informed me abt vehicle allotment. Throughout this period, Concorde motors kept me updated on the progress.

My initial view of the vehicle is awesome ride quality, good interiors and good road presence.

Will post my initial ownership review after driving 1000 Kms
Congratulations on your new ride. Good to hear positive purchase experience. Autobox is definitely a good choice for Bangalore traffic. Looking forward to your ownership experience.
Old 24th February 2017, 21:52   #1439
BHPian

Overdrive has come up with a comparo between Hexa and XUV500. Guess people will be more interested in this comparison than the Hexa vs Crysta.
Old 25th February 2017, 13:41   #1440
BANNED

Between the 6 speed manual and auto, which of them is a better highway cruiser? As in if we consider a speed of 100 km/h in 6th gear, what does the tacho read in both cases? I am assuming the autobox may have a slight edge here of around 100rpm or so.

XM/XT and XMA/XTA owners can comment on this please?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks