Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 27th February 2017, 17:51   #1471
BHPian

Re: Tata Hexa : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelravin View Post
I registered on the tata website for a Hexa test drive soon after the launch about a month ago on Jan 19th. I got an immediate call back from their call center and then an SMS telling me I have been referred to Concorde Motors in Chennai. A week later I didnt get a call from the dealer so I registered again. The same cycle repeated with the call back and SMS about Concorde motors. A whole month later I got a call from a Concorde sales ex asking if I was ready for the Tiago test drive! I explained that it was the Hexa I enquired about and he promised to call back. Till date Concorde hasn't addressed my request for a test drive. Unbelievable! How does Tata Motors expect to sell this car?!

In the meanwhile ( 3 weeks ago) I called Tafe Reach the other Tata dealer and got an immediate response with a test drive on the next day. Strangely after the test drive the sales person never asked me about buying the car nor did they ever call back!

I do also have a Tata Bolt and vouch for Tata's new age products. I just may buy the Hexa later this year if they fix a few faults like the access to the 3rd row and the 3rd row not folding flat. Our family once owned a Tata Sierra & Tata Estate and they served us well. Being an ardent Tata fan I hope they fix their front end since they finally have some great products.
Tata's dealers have this annoying habit sometimes. The TAFE dealer in Coimbatore here did not allow me to test drive the manual variant and instead asked me to come with my dad for the drive only after confirming the booking. I complained about this on Tata's Twitter account and they directed me to my local Thrissur dealership, Hyson Motors which I feel is rather better than the arrogance displayed at the dealer here in Coimbatore.

We finally went ahead and booked from Hyson and are expecting delivery in the next couple of days.

If Tata needs to improve, they'll really need to step up their dealership game. I hope someone from Tata is reading this.
Old 27th February 2017, 21:55   #1472
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post

The reversing guidelines on the HU's display, with the wheels fully turned to the right.
Yep, guidelines are fixed and don't move with steering inputs, unlike my Creta.
Attachment 1612917
Reverse guidelines do change dynamically based on steering input and most of the instances it stood correct with proper guidance.
Black_Beast is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th February 2017, 23:36   #1473
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_Beast View Post
Reverse guidelines do change dynamically based on steering input and most of the instances it stood correct with proper guidance.
I think I have noticed that the models on online reviews where the reverse guide does not turn are all XTA. The manual models have a dynamic guide. Is this true? Could someone confirm?
rshnvjy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th February 2017, 08:49   #1474
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rshnvjy View Post
I think I have noticed that the models on online reviews where the reverse guide does not turn are all XTA. The manual models have a dynamic guide. Is this true? Could someone confirm?
I have XT 4X2 and reverse guidelines do change dynamically based on steering feedback. This happens only when you slot reverse gear and not from the dash rear view camera button (Parking)
Black_Beast is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th February 2017, 12:30   #1475

The excellent Tata Hexa: Here's why I won't buy one

I own a Tata Aria and find it to be an excellent car. If there is something that I do not like about it, it would be the experience that I have had with the service centers. Most of the times I have had to escalate matters to the Tata rep and only then have I received satisfactory service.

With the Hexa, I was hoping this might change. That Tata may have realized where they are getting so much bad rep from and would have taken steps to ensure the local dealers/service centers get their act together. Alas, that's not to be!

I experienced the Hexa first when Tata organized the experience center event in Mumbai. I loved the car. Most of the guys here have already pointed out a lot of good things about the car and I agree with them.

After the car's prices were announced, I registered on the Tata website for a test drive. I got a call back and an sms but that was not followed up with a call from the local dealer. A week after that I tried again. The same cycle repeated! This has been described by others too on this thread so something is obviously broken in their process. Are the enquiries not being forwarded to the dealers or are the dealers not bothered about selling the car? Either way, it was the first of my disappointments.

I wrote a mail to Tata about this and immediately I got a call and a Test Drive was arranged for the next day. This was followed by a confirmation call from the dealer as well and the time was fixed. I was looking forward to exploring the car in more detail. The time for the arrival of the car came and went but and there was no sign of the car. After about 20 mins of that delay, I get a call instead asking what time I would like the car! This obviously miffed me. When I pointed out that it was already past the time that I had confirmed, they apologized saying that there were no drivers available. Why couldn't they call and keep me updated about the delay? It felt like they are under the impression that their prospective customers have nothing better to do than to keep waiting for them.

Then I was the promised the car in half an hour's time. That tame lapsed and there was still no sign of the car. I had other chores to do so I carried on with my day. After almost an hour I get a call again apologizing for further delay and regret that there is still no driver to bring the car. By now I had already seen the writing on the wall. If this is the kind of attitude this dealer has for a prospective customer, just imagine what will be the case once I have bought the car and have no option but to rely on them for service? So I decided to just not pursue the matter any more and told them that I would not like a test drive anymore.

Later that evening I got a call from the Tata guy who had spoken to me and arranged the test drive. He had apparently followed up and got to know that the test drive didn't happen. I narrated my experience to him and told him that I am no longer interested in the car so a test drive is not needed. He apologized profusely and convinced me to take the test drive. I agreed and a new time of 11:00 am for the next day was set. I also got a call from the rep who was supposed to bring the car the next day. He asked me again what time I would like it. When I indicated to him that I have indicated the time he was a bit too casual about it informing me that he'll try to get the car by 11:30 latest. To this I just told him that I would not like any delay from the agreed upon time of 11:00 AM.

The next day, I get a call at 10:45 from another guy who said he will bring the car in 15-20 mins but he ended up reaching more than 40 mins late! By this time I had decided I'll just send the car back but my wife convinced me to go ahead with the test drive. So I took the test drive. But to my disappointment, the guy who got the car did not have any idea about the car! When I told him I already have an Aria his surprised response was "there's nothing much difference from the Aria". He was obviously wondering why would someone buy a Hexa if they had an Aria! Well Done Sales Rep, very well done! I'm now completely sold!

I tried to get him to give details about all the features etc but I actually knew more about the car than him. This was the final nail in the coffin. I then ended the test drive. He gave me a printed copy with pricing details of the different variants and also told me he'll follow up about getting the valuation for the Aria done. I had an intuition there will be no follow-up and I was right! It has been 10 days now and there has been no follow up from the dealer. Obviously I desparately need to buy the Hexa so it is me who should follow up, isn't it?

It is obvious to me that while Tata has made an excellent car in Hexa, their after sales service would be as sucky as it has always been. There is absolutely no change in the attitude and workings of the local dealer/service centers. When I buy a flagship car from a company the least I expect is professional service with courtesy and on-time follow-ups (forget about being treated like a king). Tata has not just failed in this but they have convinced me with this experience that my after sales experience will be worse than I thought it would be.

Tata if is reading this, you would do well to fix your broken processes and ensure the dealers/service centers are up to the mark in catering to your prospective and existing customers. This will go a long way in resurrecting your reputation. Having a great product is not enough. The Aria was a great product but it failed spectacularly due to other factors. Now I have decided not go for a Tata car as I'm sure it would not be an experience that I would like despite the excellent car. Tata, you have lost one customer in me who was hoping for your success with the Hexa.
GreaseOnMyHands is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 28th February 2017, 12:43   #1476
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
I have XT 4X2 and reverse guidelines do change dynamically based on steering feedback. This happens only when you slot reverse gear and not from the dash rear view camera button (Parking)
Maybe it's enabled on the MT variants, but disabled in the AT variants.

I took the snapshot when I was reversing back towards the wall inside the dealership, to turn into the washing bay. The guidelines stayed fixed all through the reversing process.

I won't lie about such a trivial thing, my friend.

Quality control issues in the Tata Hexa, as highlighted by various new owners in a dedicated WhatsApp group:

Roof-windshield top half panel beading.
Tata Hexa : Official Review-image14.jpg

Atrocious finish.
Tata Hexa : Official Review-image16.jpg

Soft hammering brought it down to this much.
Tata Hexa : Official Review-image17.jpg

Tata Hexa : Official Review-image15.jpg

Misaligned rubber beadings on another Hexa.
Tata Hexa : Official Review-image10.jpg

Misaligned roof panels (same car as above).
Tata Hexa : Official Review-image9.jpg

Spare-wheel lowering system is misaligned on a 3rd Hexa.
Tata Hexa : Official Review-image8.jpg

The rod and the connecting hole are not aligned.
Tata Hexa : Official Review-image6.jpg

Rubber-plastic section on the lower portion of the door is finished badly.
3 owners have reported this problem.
Tata Hexa : Official Review-image4.jpg

In another car.
Tata Hexa : Official Review-image5.jpg

Owner's temporary fix.
Tata Hexa : Official Review-image3.jpg

Gap on window beading's plastic finish.
Tata Hexa : Official Review-image12.jpg

Entire window beading on another Hexa.
Tata Hexa : Official Review-image11.jpg

Chrome insert on door handle has come off.
Tata Hexa : Official Review-image13.jpg

Chrome insert on another Hexa broke into two.
Tata Hexa : Official Review-whatsapp-image-20170218-11.36.53-am.jpeg

Tata Hexa : Official Review-whatsapp-image-20170218-11.37.14-am.jpeg

Seat belt clip is wrongly aligned on the opposite side.
Tata Hexa : Official Review-image19.jpg

Tata Hexa : Official Review-image20.jpg

In addition, owners are reporting that while driving the car at around 1250 - 1700 rpm, they hear a rattling sound very clearly and it's most prominent when the car is driven in 3rd and 4th Gears. This is reported by owners of the Automatic variants too.

Also, a prominent rattle from the top glove-box is also reported by at least 2 owners.

I sure hope Tata tightens up it's QC checks before rolling them out to meet the demands of the 10,000+ customers who have booked the car till now. Frankly, such issues are not expected of a premium, luxury SUV commanding 20 lakh+ rupees.

Last edited by RavenAvi : 28th February 2017 at 12:46.
RavenAvi is offline   (54) Thanks
Old 28th February 2017, 13:00   #1477
BHPian

Re: The excellent Tata Hexa: Here's why I won't buy one

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreaseOnMyHands View Post
After the car's prices were announced, I registered on the Tata website for a test drive. I got a call back and an sms but that was not followed up with a call from the local dealer. A week after that I tried again. The same cycle repeated! This has been described by others too on this thread so something is obviously broken in their process. Are the enquiries not being forwarded to the dealers or are the dealers not bothered about selling the car? Either way, it was the first of my disappointments.
Ditto! I too have been through the same thing. I registered for a test drive on the website even before the prices were launched. They said I would get a TD as soon as the TD cars reach the dealerships. I waited. Cars reach the dealership and even the prices get announced but no sign of any test drive.

I again open the website and chat to an exec. She as usual apologizes for the delay and confirms a TD soon (no time or date mentioned). Whats best is that as soon as you end the chat you get a pop up saying would you look forward to buy the hexa or something of that sort. I again wait for few weeks but when there is no action I decide to go to the dealership to try my luck.

I walked into the dealership on a weekday that too in the afternoon but its swarming with people, wouldnt be wrong to say more people in the showroom than fleas in a fish market. All other cars (including the storme) have been removed from display and there are around 4-5 Hexas on display. I move around but no one cares or bothers to ask what I am looking for. Maybe they have taken it for granted that there's just another idiot looking for the hexa.

I wait for 15-20 mins, check the cars on display and then when I am done, I decide to approach the enquiry desk and tell them what I am looking for. My name and phone numbers are written and am asked to wait. I wait patiently for 30 mins and there is no sign of anyone. I decide to move out and as I am walking out, I see that a hexa has just come in for a test drive and there is a beeline of people waiting to jump in it for the TD. Resign to fate understanding that I might as well not get a TD until the initial euphoria dies off and drive back home. What hurts - no call back at all from anyone at the dealership or the online customer service desk.

I understand that TATA might be expecting a huge footfall in the dealerships on the weekends but why cant they politely refuse a TD at home and cater more to people coming to the showrooms? I have got this response from dealers for other manufacturers that they cannot arrange a home TD on a weekend but can do so on a weekday and that is fine by me but be vocal about it than keep me waiting.

Till date I have visited TATA dealership around 5-6 times and not a single time have I got a TD of the cars I was looking for. I went there around 4-5 times to TD the Aria and Storme when we were looking for a SUV/MUV and either the sales staff had taken the vehicles for a weekend picnic or there was some other reason. Headed to Toyota and got a TD each and every time I went and that is why the Innova stands in our garage today. Even the sales execs whom I left my number with (for Aria/Storme) never bothered to call back the next day and later I get a call from a completely different showroom saying if I was looking for a TD. I told them about my experience with the earlier dealer and they said that my lead was transferred to them because the earlier dealer was not responsive. I told them that we have gone ahead with the Innova and I dont need a TD anymore. The experience with Hexa hasn't been much different unfortunately.

I seriously hope TATA pulls up their socks with respect to customer service and done kill a excellent and capable product like the hexa because of this.

Last edited by centaur : 28th February 2017 at 13:03.
centaur is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 28th February 2017, 13:10   #1478
BHPian

Quote:
I sure hope Tata tightens up it's QC checks before rolling them out to meet the demands of the 10,000+ customers who have booked the car till now.
10,000 bookings!!! now that is a big surprise. This is the opportunity that Tata should grab with both hands.
Going by those QC issues and by the incompetence in dealerships, it looks like they are letting it slip.
Come on Tata, please dont be half hearted; please go the whole hog.
Enobarbus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th February 2017, 13:20   #1479
BHPian

Quote:
Maybe it's enabled on the MT variants, but disabled in the AT variants.

I took the snapshot when I was reversing back towards the wall inside the dealership, to turn into the washing bay. The guidelines stayed fixed all through the reversing process.
As you and others stated, it could one of difference in MT and AT variants, I also shared on what I observed in my car MT variant. Haven't observed this before in AT during my test drive.

Quote:
Spare-wheel lowering system is misaligned on a 3rd Hexa.
Attachment 1613962

The rod and the connecting hole are not aligned.
Attachment 1613963
This was after a biker gave bang to Hexa from behind. However not sure if this can be expected after rearend event.

Quote:
Rubber-plastic section on the lower portion of the door is finished badly.
3 owners have reported this problem.
Attachment 1613964

In another car.
Attachment 1613965

Owner's temporary fix.
Attachment 1613966
When QC manager visited Bangalore from Pune to address our concerns, after spotting my fixed floor beading. He immediately commented to revert back to original shape. They intentionally have inserted the beading below plastics after multiple tests (beading was getting cut when it's on top) and their design team suggested this option of inserting it below plastic. While user sees this as an ill fit beading, they see it as a design. I hope they find some other solution for this issue and not a quick hack like this. While I was not happy with the answer, I continue to keep the beading above plastics.

Quote:

In addition, owners are reporting that while driving the car at around 1250 - 1700 rpm, they hear a rattling sound very clearly and it's most prominent when the car is driven in 3rd and 4th Gears. This is reported by owners of the Automatic variants too.
QC manager acknowledged same sound will be heard up-till 2000rpm sometimes and he called it to be an "engine gargle". But for a user it's a disturbing sound, he also added it will subside after some runin.
Black_Beast is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 28th February 2017, 14:51   #1480
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Seat belt clip is wrongly aligned on the opposite side.
Attachment 1613972
I know Tata Motors of 2017 is very different from Tata Motors of 2008...but this is classic Tata. My Safari bought in 2008 - had the same issue with seat belts. This bought a on my face.
rrsteer is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th February 2017, 17:22   #1481
Team-BHP Support

Spent time with the Hexa Automatic this weekend.

A few smaller points that haven't been mentioned before:

NOTE: This is NOT an overview of the car, and nor does it summarize my very positive opinion of it. It is simply a collection of small points that I did NOT see mentioned elsewhere as yet.

Controls:

• To reinforce a common point: I'm 5'8" and not a person who sits far back at all, but even I felt the top edge of the steering was too far from me.

• Driver's side window did not have one-touch up on the car I drove (XTA). All windows did have one-touch down though.

• Black shiny plastic at the base of the gear lever gets scuffed up very easily.

• The AC readout & controls are placed a bit too low for visibility and reach.

• Blower at the lowest speed was still too powerful! Could feel the wind-blast even 2-3 feet away from the vents. Irritating when you just want very passive cooling. The slowest fan setting should have been much more subtle.

Driving:

• Turbo whistle (spool) is very audible even during average in-city acceleration (mild throttle).

• Every time you shift the gear lever from "D" to "P", you'll hear a beep when the car goes past the "R" position. This can get irritating for both the driver and the passengers, especially if the driver likes switching to P at signals.

• The brake pedal has more than 1.5 inches of travel/play before it starts to bite - which is a significant amount. Takes a little getting used to.

• If your indicator is on, and you take the turn and then straighten up the steering briskly, the opposite indicator gets automatically activated for a few flashes (lane change)!

• Was a bit disappointed with the ride quality, after reading high praises of it on the forum. The presence of the 19" wheels was very apparent. Sharper / high frequency bumps and edges on the road were easily noticeable. Bigger / lower frequency bumps were handled well. Impressive ride for a car with 19" wheels, but the Duster is better IMO. The test car I drove had run 15,000 hard kms - so that could be a factor. I tried different tyre pressure too (the Hexa didn't have a 'recommended tyre pressure' sticker anywhere).

2nd & 3rd Rows:

• Innova's roof-mounted AC is located in a better position for cooling middle-row passengers on a hot day (as opposed to the B-pillar & shin-height center vents on the Hexa).

• Front 2 rows AC is controlled by the dials on the dashboard. The roof mounted controls only affect the 3rd row blower! [EDIT: I stand corrected on this, the roof mounted controls also control the B-pillar vents]

• The middle row is just uncomfortably high for ingress/egress. This is especially true with the captain seats and their raised sides. Will be incredibly difficult for the elderly.

Last edited by Rehaan : 1st March 2017 at 10:36. Reason: Correcting point about roof mounted AC controls & adding disclaimer for clarity!
Rehaan is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 28th February 2017, 19:21   #1482
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
2nd & 3rd Rows:

• Innova's roof-mounted AC is located in a better position for cooling middle-row passengers on a hot day (as opposed to the B-pillar & shin-height center vents on the Hexa).

• Front 2 rows AC is controlled by the dials on the dashboard. The roof mounted controls only affect the 3rd row blower!
No complaints on cooling in my ownership till now with 2000+ Kms on Odo. Travelled in hot sunny day several times in several regions, In a recent trip Car was parked in sun for several hours, in no-time car was cool and all 3 row passengers were happy with the A/C effect. Front dash mounted A/C knob controls first row A/C vents and also floor console of 2nd row. However roof button placed above middle row manages all (2nd & 3rd) rows pillar vents.

Most of the time 2nd row passengers are happy only with floor A/C vents and they are not in need of pillar vents.

Last weekend we went to a long drive and when few passengers swapped from Fortuner to Hexa, they were happy with A/C and none complained of adequate cooling. (Quoted Fortuner here as it's roof mounts are same as Innova)
Black_Beast is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 28th February 2017, 22:23   #1483
BHPian

Quote:
Would recommend you to clear your mind of your experiences with dusters and innovas before driving the Hexa. Ac controls are perfectly placed, tyre pressure recommendations are mentioned on a bright yellow sticker which is visible when the driver opens his doors and the roof controls for AC are not only for the 3rd row passengers but for the B pillar vents too.

Different people may find different points as being negative or positive, but i just wanted to highlight the facts which may otherwise mislead potential buyers.

Last edited by bblost : 1st March 2017 at 01:14. Reason: Reduced the amount of text in quoted post.
abhi7013 is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 1st March 2017, 00:34   #1484
BHPian

Quote:
Most of the points that you mention seem to be negative without any mention of the vehicles merits. This might mislead potential customers. A more balanced approach will certainly help people.
P.S. I have not driven the Hexa yet but intend to soon

Last edited by nikhil0405 : 1st March 2017 at 00:55.
nikhil0405 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 1st March 2017, 07:25   #1485
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
• Driver's side window did not have one-touch up on the car I drove (XTA). All windows did have one-touch down though.

Driving:

• Every time you shift the gear lever from "D" to "P", you'll hear a beep when the car goes past the "R" position. This can get irritating for both the driver and the passengers, especially if the driver likes switching to P at signals.

• The brake pedal has more than 1.5 inches of travel/play before it starts to bite - which is a significant amount. Takes a little getting used to.
Haven't driven the Hexa as yet, don't intend to as I'm not looking to buy one, so I will restrict my comments to just the points which should be common to similar vehicles.

1. It's always safer to have one-touch down operations on cars and preferably one-touch up if there's an anti-pinch feature (Rover Montego). I do not like the one-touch up feature as it is risky otherwise. Have it on a friend's Indica and I hate it.

2. Ideally, at traffic signals, the lever should be moved to N and the brakes applied and not to P. P is to be used only for Parking. This was discussed on the Crysta thread very recently.

3. Brake pedal travel of 1.5" is not a big issue if you wear a size 8 or more. As you said, it's just about getting used to. In any case, I think the play can be adjusted according to one's convenience.
discoverwild is online now   (12) Thanks

Most Viewed