Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 2nd March 2017, 17:24   #1501
BHPian

Variants Shootout

Was trying to make sense of the price points of various variants and looking for the most value for money option.

Thanks to the excel attached by Team-bhp official review, which was used to make this sheet.

Note: I believe that the top variants also are available with bench seats at no extra cost over the Captain seats, so any dilemma regarding that can be avoided.

Given that the auto seems to be the preferred transmission for most reviewers, what if I am not particular about the transmission. Then I can cross shop between manual and auto variants. This gives some very interesting results!

The XT 4x2 looks like its fully packed compared to the auto with a safety kit extra.

The XT 4x4 looks justified as it's demanding 1.3 lacs for a AWD system over the XT 4x2

In summary, for someone looking on which variant to plonk money, it seems that the top manual is more value than the middle manual.
But the middle auto is more value than the top auto.

Hexa Variant Shootout.pdf

Or am I missing something?

Or Did Tata actually make space for a XTA 4x4.?

Last edited by vigneshkumar31 : 2nd March 2017 at 17:27.
Old 2nd March 2017, 17:29   #1502
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by black_rider View Post
Don't know about Black_Beast, but there is loss sometimes in my Storme 400. Sound is more prominent when you're driving in quiet, without A/C turned on. And trust me its so irritating that you just cannot ignore it, power loss or not. Its plain unacceptable for a car that costs so much.
This sound comes for a second and goes and it's not grinding noise. It's just like plastic part vibration sound. I tested for any power loss intentionally keeping same throttle input and didn't feel any power loss. While person from Pune plant told it to be "gargle issue". The same was told by another Pune plant guy who visited one more customer in Mumbai. But I have this case opened and waiting for official update from TATA MOTORS.
Black_Beast is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2017, 17:33   #1503
BHPian

Re: Tata Hexa : Official Review

Had some time to kill while helping a friend decide on a Linea 125s so took a chance and visited the TATA showroom to take a look at the Hexa.

Disclaimer : I am not looking to buy a Hexa or any other SUV/MUV. I am also not a diesel fan.

Initial impressions on fit and finish are very positive. I made it a special point ot look out for flaws mentioned by RavenAvi and others and I couldn't spot even one in the two cars standing at the showroom. The rubber quality of the door beadings is not the best, couple of them had kinks and the finish was very patchy even compared to my Linea. Shut lines and overall finish of the other trim were very acceptable.

Moving to the inside, the first thing that hit me was how comfortable the front seats were and I wish I had them in my Linea. The fit, finish and materials used on the inside is so much better from what I remember in the first gen Safari that my cousin had, and I loved the nice logical/simple design of the dashboard. The rear middle row (bench) had plenty of room even after the drivers seat was set for my 6' frame, but I found the seat very flat and uncomfortable when compared to the Linea's. I guess this has to do with it having to fold.

On to the short test drive of the automatic. The engine was remarkably quiet from the inside at idle, but you did get a thrumming vibration that you could feel clearly, and to me seemed to be more than what I remember in my friends Crysta auto. Getting away was easy, and again the first thing that struck me was how nicely weighed the steering was. Once on the move I really didn't feel like I was driving a 2.3 ton car, it felt nice and composed, very little body roll, refined at low speeds, and great great ride. I am also not an auto guy, but this auto is good. Very little lag and seamless shifts made the drive stress free. I couldn't really floor it, but the engine is very responsive and you have almost zero turbo lag.

The only 3 things that I found odd during the ride:

1. The accelerator and brake are at different heights so when braking I had to lift my foot off and up from the accelerator before pressing the brake rather than just having to slide my foot over.

2. I could turn on the AC, but I really couldn't see the temp on display since it was so low and not angled up towards me.

3. Nitpicking here, but just felt that the size of the instrument binnacle was a tad too small for the size of the dash.

All in all hat's off to the Hexa.
keroo1099 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2017, 22:38   #1504
BHPian

The Definitive Hexa Variant Shootout

The Definitive Hexa Variant Shootout.

Barring the entry level XE, this is what the buyer is paying for, if cross shopping between transmissions.

Tata Hexa : Official Review-screen-shot-20170302-10.14.59-pm.png

Tata Hexa : Official Review-screen-shot-20170302-10.08.50-pm.png

Tata Hexa : Official Review-screen-shot-20170302-10.10.16-pm.png

Tata Hexa : Official Review-screen-shot-20170302-10.10.39-pm.png

Tata Hexa : Official Review-screen-shot-20170302-10.10.26-pm.png

Tata Hexa : Official Review-screen-shot-20170302-10.10.48-pm.png

Tata Hexa : Official Review-screen-shot-20170302-10.10.56-pm.png

Last edited by vigneshkumar31 : 2nd March 2017 at 22:41.
vigneshkumar31 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2017, 23:41   #1505
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
I'm going to say the opposite of what you've suggested. In most Tata reviews everywhere (all across the web / print) I mostly see Tata cars being compared to earlier Tata's cars! That needs to change. It'll be better for Tata and their customers when their cars are presented as competitors, as opposed to 'wow Tata has improved so much' and 'this is the best Tata car yet'.
This really hits the nail on the head, thank you .

A big part of the puzzle that Tata needs to figure out is how to be a part of the decision making process. For that, the Hexa has to offer -- the often hard to define, but extremely important -- value for money(VFM). Then back up that VFM with a solid (and proactive) service experience. All of us know that new vehicles in the market can have some initial gremlins, but judging by BHP-ian Zeddo's comments a few posts back, there seems to be an attempt at doing the right thing. A positive service experience -- despite the glitches -- can/should result in a happier customer.

Finally, quoting from the Team-BHP review for the Aria we read this:
Quote:
Even though they are from entirely different segments, the Manza left a far greater impression on me than the Aria. The Manza redefined its segment in terms of space, urban ride quality, VFM price tag, acceptable fit & finish at the price and the engine / tranny. That was Tata Motors at its absolute best.
It seems to me that the Hexa gets most of those factors right.
Amartya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2017, 16:14   #1506
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

Not sure if this video has been posted earlier in the thread :

//M is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2017, 18:44   #1507
BHPian

Wow! That's one classy Ad. Why am I not seeing these on TV channels?
Old 4th March 2017, 01:36   #1508
Senior - BHPian

I came here to post the same "Spirit of Hexa" video link. That video is awsome. They should make the shorter version of the same for TV ads.
Old 4th March 2017, 07:46   #1509
Senior - BHPian

My friend who was actually waiting for the Hexa release earlier is putting his money on the XT 4*2. Didn't like what the Crysta offered. This is actually his first car in a long time!

Bottom line, I do get to drive one though I have no plans to buy one. Having the cake and eating it too!
Old 4th March 2017, 09:21   #1510
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
I came here to post the same "Spirit of Hexa" video link. That video is awsome. They should make the shorter version of the same for TV ads.
It's out on TV now. Just saw it on star sports during the pre match show of IND vs AUS test match. I feel it's a nice strategy as viewership will be quite high.
Old 4th March 2017, 11:01   #1511
BHPian

Saw a blue hexa in the phoenix market city parking lot. I was impressed by the sheer dimensions of the vehicle.
Old 4th March 2017, 11:06   #1512
BHPian

Guess the 19" alloys cement the distinctive looks of the Hexa. Just saw a base variant one with Steel rims and it looks a lot like the Aria.
Old 4th March 2017, 13:21   #1513
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by petroguzzler View Post
Guess the 19" alloys cement the distinctive looks of the Hexa. Just saw a base variant one with Steel rims and it looks a lot like the Aria.
Agreed. Quite a bad decision by Tata to have those 1950s' steel wheels on the XM variants. I can somehow digest those wheels on the XE variant but definitely not on XM/XMA that cost 17-19L OTR.
Kishen.padiyar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th March 2017, 13:44   #1514
BHPian

Was thinking about the same thing and hence sat down and broke down the costs for the variant upgrades (Few posts above )

TATA seems to be offering the 19" as a major pull towards the XT from those coming in for XM. The break down of the valuation I did, also suggests that the XT seems full loaded compared to the XTA over their equivalent XM and XMAs.

If the XM came with these killer alloys, it would be the most selling variant, as what you get over and above the alloys when you upgrade to the XT (look at table above) is convenience and luxe features, which many could/would choose to live without.

That could be the reason, why these OE alloys are not available as official accessories (checked with hexachat and the dealer), because then XM + alloys swap at dealer level would still make sense for many.

However, for those who can afford the XT it seems like a no brainer, its got everything.

The Autobox choosers have a different spin, as its shown in the table.

Of course, this is Just looking at the numbers. When you are actually sitting down and looking at paying up a downpayment for a variant, lot more comes into play, for every rupee counts!
vigneshkumar31 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th March 2017, 14:11   #1515
BHPian

Hexa sales stood at 1026 units in February 2017

Source: http://www.autopunditz.com/
needforspeed88 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed