Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 15th March 2017, 11:10   #1606
BHPian

Re: Tata Hexa : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kishen.padiyar View Post
Yes, I was particularly disappointed when one of the Hexa owners reported that 100 km/h in 6th gear corresponds to ~2000 rpm. Compare that to my Aria with the 320Nm 5 speed combo the tacho reads approximately 2050 rpm.
Afterall, it is the same 2.2 litre engine, albeit with a bigger turbo. Even the Endeavour 2.2 does 100K at 1900 RPM and its kerb wieight is slightly lesser than the Hexa. I guess you need a bigger engine if you want a more relaxed drive. As they say, "there is no replacement for displacement".
Old 15th March 2017, 11:33   #1607
BHPian

I did test drive again yesterday for Innova crysta 2.8 auto , XUV500 manual and Hexa XTA . Innova seems fastest of the lot but gear shift in auto are much more smoother in Hexa compare to Innova. Innova touched 140 easily compared to Hexa. XUV interiors did not inspired me after sitting in Innova and Hexa. Finally its Hexa because of VFM it gives. I did thought a lot about resale value but if I am driving car for 7 years almost then 10 year life cycle does not leave much value for the upfront premium I am giving for Innova . Waiting period depends on model and varies from 4 to 12 weeks. Dealer told XTA which is selling most has lowest waiting period while XE has highest waiting period. No discounts being offered if any one got any discount let me know I can also bargain for same.
Old 15th March 2017, 12:09   #1608
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enobarbus View Post
Even the Endeavour 2.2 does 100K at 1900 RPM and its kerb wieight is slightly lesser than the Hexa.
The Endy is actually good on that aspect - though looks big, the weight is well controlled.
condor is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 15th March 2017, 12:14   #1609
BHPian

Quote:
Yes, I was particularly disappointed when one of the Hexa owners reported that 100 km/h in 6th gear corresponds to ~2000 rpm. Compare that to my Aria with the 320Nm 5 speed combo the tacho reads approximately 2050 rpm.
It is completely wrong. Hexa automatic at 100KMPH is ticking at 1800 RPM. I have attached a photo which I took during my recent travel.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Hexa : Official Review-rpm.png  

Last edited by bblost : 15th March 2017 at 14:40. Reason: fixed quote
power_slave77 is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 15th March 2017, 12:29   #1610
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enobarbus View Post
Afterall, it is the same 2.2 litre engine, albeit with a bigger turbo. Even the Endeavour 2.2 does 100K at 1900 RPM and its kerb wieight is slightly lesser than the Hexa. I guess you need a bigger engine if you want a more relaxed drive. As they say, "there is no replacement for displacement".
My Hexa AT does 100kmph at around 1700-1800rpm. It happily ambles along at more than 120kmph at about 2200rpm, with very little engine noise or vibrations seeping into the cabin. Make no mistake, the engine has more than adequate power and the higher gears are appropriately tall. Cruising ability is top notch.
Shreyans_Jain is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th March 2017, 12:32   #1611
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by power_slave77 View Post

It is completely wrong. Hexa automatic at 100KMPH is ticking at 1800 RPM.
Thanks for the information. I stand corrected when it comes to the automatic. Not sure if the same is applicable for the manual variant. XM/XT owners may comment on this please.
Old 15th March 2017, 15:07   #1612
BHPian

Quote:
It is completely wrong. Hexa automatic at 100KMPH is ticking at 1800 RPM. I have attached a photo which I took during my recent travel.
Can you please update on mileage aspect on highway vs City what are you getting as of now .
Old 15th March 2017, 17:46   #1613
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anuruddhs View Post
Can you please update on mileage aspect on highway vs City what are you getting as of now .
The best I got was 17 KMPL (Bangalore to Salem) with cruise control on 90% of the time.

Mileage in Bangalore bumper to bumper traffic is 10 KMPL

Average Mileage is around 12 KMPL
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Hexa : Official Review-img20170224wa0011.jpg  

power_slave77 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 15th March 2017, 18:22   #1614
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The best I got was 17 KMPL (Bangalore to Salem) with cruise control on 90% of the time.

Mileage in Bangalore bumper to bumper traffic is 10 KMPL

Average Mileage is around 12 KMPL
This is simply a great mileage figure for such a huge and powerful car. I have never managed 14 kmpl on my 4x4 storme. Tata has definitely tuned the Hexa perfectly
Old 15th March 2017, 18:48   #1615
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_mechengg View Post
This is simply a great mileage figure for such a huge and powerful car. I have never managed 14 kmpl on my 4x4 storme. Tata has definitely tuned the Hexa perfectly
Besides engine tuning the shape and aerodynamics (read: coefficient of drag) matters a lot. The Hexa no doubt is more aerodynamically efficient compared to the boxy Storme. So even if the same engine tuning is done in Storme as that in the Hexa, I bet you would ever be able to achieve that kind of fuel efficiency in the Storme, given all other conditions are the same.
Old 15th March 2017, 19:00   #1616
BHPian

After reading so much on Team-BHP about the Hexa, I was intrigued and decided to test drive both the XT and the XTA. As so much has been written about the car, its variants and the features, I am skipping all that. I would only like to relate my experience with the test drives.

I registered on the website for a test drive and got a call from Poona the next day. However, due to work issues I could not take the call. The Tata guys were very persistent and called every day for 3-4 days till I found time to take the call and booked the test drives for the XT and XTA.
I called up the showroom the very next day and asked them for the test drive. The sales person, Prawesh, was very patient & polite and promised the test drive for the XT the next day and the XTA the day after that.

On the appointed day, he called me to fix a suitable time to bring the XT and brought it punctually. It was an Amazon Blue beast and looked gorgeous. My wife and son were pretty impressed. Prawesh, a young guy with just a year's experience, gave his sales pitch and was well versed with the vehicle. He was honest enough to admit ignorance about a few technical things. Test drove the XT with my wife & son in the second row bucket seats. She found entering the car a bit difficult owing to its height (side-step is a must). The drive of the XT was not exceptional but was good. I am short, 5' 5" but like to drive in a laid back position, so my seat is relatively pushed back. I could find the sweet spot very easily. The seats, however, are a little hard. Wife too complained about the hardness of the seat. I think a seat cover with sufficient cushioning might help. The gear felt far and after a few kilometres could feel the strain as I tend to drive with one hand on the gear stick. The steering too was a little stiff at slow speeds as reported by many TBHPians. With the short drive that I had, I did not notice too much difference among the drive modes.
After the drive, Prawesh gave a quote for the XTA, as that was the one I was interested in and promised a test drive on the XTA the next day. I wanted to see the other colours as well and decided to visit the show room instead of having the vehicle brought home, as they had a pearl white XT on display.

The next day Prawesh called to inform that the XTA was ready for test drive and asked when it would be convenient for me to take it. I told him about my decision to visit the show room. At the show room, wife liked the pearl white more than the popular amazon blue. The XTA was tungsten silver in colour and not as good looking as the other two. The drive, however, was absolutely heavenly. Prawesh was needed elsewhere, hence another young sales person, Yogesh accompanied us. He was equally well versed with the car and very polite & polished, unlike the earlier experiences with Tata sales personnel - that of an impolite, take it as it is/if you want it, attitude. Both the XTA & the XT sailed over undulations, potholes, speedbrakers and other aberrations of the road without letting the passengers feel them. But the XTA drove like a dream. I was a bit apprehensive at first but as soon as I got the hang of the vehicle, I found it behaved like a sedan. Overtaking was a breeze and did not feel like the diesel behemoth it is. The drive mode was extremely good and made me feel the sports mode was redundant. The sports mode, however, is awesome and is worth the money spent. It has the potential to leave all other vehicles, barring a very few, standing at the post. IMHO, if you have the moolah, the XTA it should be.

The Toyota showroom was nearby and we decided to see the Crysta also, to compare the top end with the Hexa top end. However, we did not have time for a test drive. Wife found both equally good but observed that the Hexa had more leg space. The onroad price difference between the XTA and the Crysta 2.8Z - 7str is an astronomical 7 lakhs. Toyota also includes, in the onroad price, mandatory accessories worth 24k. Ughh.
I am not looking for an SUV/MPV yet. If I decide to go for one, the Hexa is too tempting. But to take an unbiased decision, I feel the XUV also deserves a look.

I have a request for the BHPians who have bought the Hexa. Please upload your ownership reviews.

Last edited by Zappo : 20th March 2017 at 12:50. Reason: Post edited for readability. Please provide right paragraph breaks rather than typing everything in a huge block of text.
su_spatil is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 15th March 2017, 22:05   #1617
Senior - BHPian

Guys,need information about the wireless mobile charger for Hexa.
Heard it is available as an accessory.

Thanks
Old 15th March 2017, 23:01   #1618
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anuruddhs View Post
My XTA is averaging around 11kmpl, +- 0.5kmpl. This is over 2000km in mixed conditions. FE is good, it is after all a leviathan with a slush box. But range should have been better. It starts to ask for refueling every 450-500km. A touring vehicle like the Hexa deserves an 80liter tank like the Endy and Fortuner.

Tidbit: at the point where the fuel dispensing nozzle cuts off automatically, the fuel gauge does not show FULL, but a bit less. Hereon, the vehicle takes in another Rs350-400 worth of diesel till brim. Only then does the fuel gauge tops off to max. The expected range also increases proportionately.
Shreyans_Jain is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th March 2017, 23:04   #1619
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecosport rules View Post
Guys,need information about the wireless mobile charger for Hexa.
Heard it is available as an accessory.

Thanks
Its available as official accessory for 855/-
Tata Hexa : Official Review-screen-shot-20170315-11.02.49-pm.png
vigneshkumar31 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th March 2017, 02:49   #1620
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigneshkumar31 View Post
Its available as official accessory for 855/-
Attachment 1619364
Thank you
Did the dealer in your area start selling the wireless charger.?
The hyderabad dealer (Concorde khairatabad) has no clue.

Most Viewed