Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th April 2017, 16:03   #1861
BHPian

Re: Tata Hexa : Official Review

Just test drove the XTA. Its truly the best Tata car that I've ever driven, except for its minibus-esque size. Looking for an automatic SUV to replace the XUV500 w8 that I own currently as my dad is aging and he finds it painful to drive the XUV in traffic.

A few observations:
1. I felt the steering wheel lacked feel and had a weird angle
2. The centre arm rest is unusable and oddly shaped
3. The power window controls are the same as what I had on my old Safari
4. Absolutely no road noise. Super silent cabin with minimal road noise
5. Excellent stereo, touchscreen is too small and not very precise
6. Superb fit and finish

I'm tending towards the XUV500 W8 AT, as the Hexa is waay too big for Bombay. Any suggestions for a 20 lakh SUV (OT: When I bought the XUV back in 2013, it cost me 14.8 on the road, now the same model is closer to 20). After today's drive, the Hexa is out, and it looks like it will have to be the XUV auto
djpeesh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th April 2017, 16:21   #1862
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by djpeesh View Post
I'm tending towards the XUV500 W8 AT, as the Hexa is waay too big for Bombay.
Strange I don't think the Hexa's size should bother anyone. In that case better to try Creta/Duster/Terrano etc.

Quote:
Any suggestions for a 20 lakh SUV.
In this segment you can't find anything better than Hexa specially the automatic variant. Since you already own a XUV you should definitely go for something better and different.
roby_dk is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th April 2017, 18:01   #1863
BHPian

Quote:
Looking for an automatic SUV to replace the XUV500 w8 that I own currently as my dad is aging and he finds it painful to drive the XUV in traffic.

I'm tending towards the XUV500 W8 AT, as the Hexa is waay too big for Bombay.
I believe the dimensions of the XUV are marginally lesser than the Hexa, esp the width.
Hexa XUV
Length (mm) 4788 4585
Width (mm) 1903 1890
Height (mm) 1791 1785

I personally feel the Hexa is better than the XUV, more so when your father finds driving the XUV painful. I test drove the Hexa and the XUV automatics with my wife sitting in the second row (bucket seat in Hexa). She is not at all into cars but without hesitation said the Hexa is way better.
Otherwise like roby_dk says go for the creta/duster. They too are very good.
su_spatil is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th April 2017, 22:26   #1864
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by su_spatil View Post
I believe the dimensions of the XUV are marginally lesser than the Hexa, esp the width.

I test drove the Hexa and the XUV automatics with my wife sitting in the second row (bucket seat in Hexa). She is not at all into cars but without hesitation said the Hexa is way better.
Otherwise like roby_dk says go for the creta/duster. They too are very good.
Maybe it's a case of being used to driving the XUV, and also driving a car that doesn't belong to me.

I think the Hexa may also be too high for the father. Did you feel the steering was more precise in the XUV than in the Hexa?

Will check out the Creta and Duster this weekend as well. The reason I'm tending towards the XUV is my dad is familiar with it (don't want to return the Baleno) and it fits the crates of mangoes from our farm perfectly. I've even carried a desk in it, with the seats folded down.

Moreover, in space starved Bombay, the xuv just about fits in our parking slot both length and width wise. The Hexa will stick out for sure, and I won't be able to park the Yezdi and Bonnie behind :P
Old 20th April 2017, 22:47   #1865
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Just test drove the XTA.
A few observations:
1. I felt the steering wheel lacked feel and had a weird angle
2. The centre arm rest is unusable and oddly shaped
Your observations are correct. The steering is at a slightly odd angle and you need to get used to it. Unfortunately, there is no telescopic adjustment on offer.

The center armrest is also not of much use for the driver. But honestly, that is not much of a problem on the automatic.

Quote:
I think the Hexa may also be too high for the father. Did you feel the steering was more precise in the XUV than in the Hexa?

Moreover, in space starved Bombay, the xuv just about fits in our parking slot both length and width wise. The Hexa will stick out for sure, and I won't be able to park the Yezdi and Bonnie behind :P
Not just for your father or anything, Hexa is simply to big and unwieldy for urban usage in a daily basis. Yes the AT is brilliant, the cabin to totally silent and the suspension gobbles up whatever our roads dish out. But it is simply too long and too wide. It will be like shaving your beard using a chainsaw. Hexa is made for the highways, and is excellent there. But not the urban crawl.

If you want an automatic for your dad for daily use in city traffic, Creta fits the bill perfectly.
Shreyans_Jain is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st April 2017, 11:00   #1866
BANNED

Quote:
After today's drive, the Hexa is out, and it looks like it will have to be the XUV auto
Practically how much of a difference does it make to drive around Mumbai in a XUV vs Hexa? From the numbers I see that the Hexa is longer by 8 inches with widths and heights almost equal. From the official brochures of both the cars I see that their turning radii are also comparable at 5.75m for the Hexa and 5.6m for the XUV.

I think there is some other reason you have in mind for dropping the Hexa off your buying list. And given that you already own a XUV W8 buying the same car with no major mechanical changes from the existing car you own is something I personally can't think of as an upgrade - barring the automatic transmission. Again, it's just my personal opinion.
Old 21st April 2017, 12:05   #1867
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kishen.padiyar View Post
Practically how much of a difference does it make to drive around Mumbai in a XUV vs Hexa? From the numbers I see that the Hexa is longer by 8 inches with widths and heights almost equal. From the official brochures of both the cars I see that their turning radii are also comparable at 5.75m for the Hexa and 5.6m for the XUV.

I think there is some other reason you have in mind for dropping the Hexa off your buying list. And given that you already own a XUV W8 buying the same car with no major mechanical changes from the existing car you own is something I personally can't think of as an upgrade - barring the automatic transmission. Again, it's just my personal opinion.
Maybe it was just a mind thing, but honestly, I felt that the xuv was more maneuverable in traffic. The Hexa was pain to take a u turn in and that steering wheel angle and the cramped footwell where my knee kept knocking on center console knocked the Hexa out of consideration.

Not making this personal attack or anything, just my views.
djpeesh is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st April 2017, 12:31   #1868
BANNED

Quote:
The Hexa was pain to take a u turn in and that steering wheel angle and the cramped foot well where my knee kept knocking on center console knocked the Hexa out of consideration.
I feel it is a matter of getting used to a particular vehicle. During a test drive we tend to compare with a vehicle which we have been driving for a good period of time say 3-5 years or even more. My sincere suggestion is reconsider your decision and take another test drive or two. Probably try parking the TD car in your apartment along with the other bikes and see how bad/good they fit in. Still if you are not convinced then XUV is probably the car for you.

PS: I am no way related to Tata Motors and my suggestions are just based on the fact that Hexa, especially the AT is probably the best automatic car in the 20L category and also the fact that your current drive is already a XUV.
Old 21st April 2017, 14:59   #1869
BHPian

Hi all,

I have been very seriously following this thread as a prospective Hexa buyer. I am really happy to see that there are many people here that have bought the vehicle and are really happy with it. I have already test driven the Hexa automatic and manual 2 times each. I am firmly leaning towards the automatic. I haven't been able to get down to actually buying the car due to various things but I am going to be pulling the trigger pretty soon.

I had a few questions from the new owners of the Hexa and would really appreciate some help.

In the review, a few quality and attention to detail issues were highlighted. I was wondering if these were taken care of by Tata Motors in the final delivery cars.
1. Improper finishing of the rubber beading on the doors. The edges were loose.
2. Bluetooth pairing and navigation issues highlighted by some owners.
3. The typo on the sticker on the bottom of the drivers door which cautioned about the turbocharger.
4. Couple of plastic clasps that came loose for some people while TD-ing.

None of these are, by any means, deal breakers for me. I have more or less decided to get the Hexa. However, from a company perspective it would be good to see if Tata is really listening to reviewers and prospective buyers.

PS. In case you missed it; This is my first post!
mostlynerd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st April 2017, 16:06   #1870
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mostlynerd View Post
Hi all,

I have more or less decided to get the Hexa.
If you have made up your mind to buy the Hexa, before you finalise the deal in Thane (if you are dealing with Fortune cars), talk to other Tata dealers in Mumbai as well. When I had enquired with Concorde, Andheri, they were quoting slightly lesser than Fortune Cars, Thane.
su_spatil is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st April 2017, 16:15   #1871
BHPian

Quote:
Hi all,

1. Improper finishing of the rubber beading on the doors. The edges were loose.
2. Bluetooth pairing and navigation issues highlighted by some owners.
3. The typo on the sticker on the bottom of the drivers door which cautioned about the turbocharger.
4. Couple of plastic clasps that came loose for some people while TD-ing.

None of these are, by any means, deal breakers for me. I have more or less decided to get the Hexa. However, from a company perspective it would be good to see if Tata is really listening to reviewers and prospective buyers.

PS. In case you missed it; This is my first post!
First off, congratulations on your first post on Tbhp!

Now, to answer your queries:-

1. I went through a detailed examination of my car for nearly 20 minutes the next day after delivery. The rubbers are stiff and aligned along the door, ceiling and the floor. I could not find any fault in both the roof rails and the rubber beading as reported in many TD cars. I need to give credit to my dealer for that!

2. Bluetooth pairing is just a piece of cake. I never faced any difficulty in pairing either mine, or my friends' phones to the system. However, if you wish to use navigation, the system will not detect the phone connected via USB if you have connected it via bluetooth. Even if it does, it will disconnect after a few minutes.
That is why i switch off my bluetooth, connect the Navimaps and then switch back the bluetooth on. Things work perfectly. Strangely, no one else has faced this issue AFAIK.

3. Never got time to read that sticker!

4. Again, thanks to the dealer, i got a good car and have never faced such issues.

Hope this helps!
abhi7013 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st April 2017, 16:27   #1872
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by su_spatil View Post
If you have made up your mind to buy the Hexa, before you finalise the deal in Thane (if you are dealing with Fortune cars), talk to other Tata dealers in Mumbai as well. When I had enquired with Concorde, Andheri, they were quoting slightly lesser than Fortune Cars, Thane.
@su_spatil Thanks for this insider tip! I was only going to deal with Fortune but might now get a quote from Concorde as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi7013 View Post
First off, congratulations on your first post on Tbhp!

Now, to answer your queries:-

1. I went through a detailed examination of my car for nearly 20 minutes the next day after delivery. The rubbers are stiff and aligned along the door, ceiling and the floor. I could not find any fault in both the roof rails and the rubber beading as reported in many TD cars. I need to give credit to my dealer for that!

Hope this helps!
@abhi7013 This is really good to know. Thanks!
Old 21st April 2017, 17:06   #1873
BHPian

I am still confused why people driving a XUV call HEXA a big car and difficult to drive in city, If you are going for automatic version your half the problem are already taken care and with few MM in length and breadth does it make that much difference in driving, I am driving a zen currently which is a really tiny in front of my Manza which i drove for last 7 years but since zen does not have power steering for me Manza was breeze to park and drive due to high visibility and power steering. I think its more getting used to car for a while. I was always using steering at low level adjustment in manza and found it more comfortable than at higher level but this was hampering reading the instrument cluster for more than 80 km speed so I tried to put the steering at higher level and tried to drive for a week and then i never returned back to low level as i got used to that position so for me lot of things are just matter of time to settle the things rather than actual problems.
Old 21st April 2017, 17:21   #1874
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anuruddhs View Post
I am still confused why people driving a XUV call HEXA a big car and difficult to drive in city, If you are going for automatic version your half the problem are already taken care and with few MM in length and breadth does it make that much difference in driving,...
i never returned back to low level as i got used to that position so for me lot of things are just matter of time to settle the things rather than actual problems.
I personally always felt that the muscular curves of the XUV would always be a hindrance to good judgement while driving. That's why I have always preferred cars with straighter lines like the Hexa.
Old 21st April 2017, 17:32   #1875
BHPian

Quote:
@su_spatil Thanks for this insider tip! I was only going to deal with Fortune but might now get a quote from Concorde as well.
If it is not too much trouble, you can get quotes from all the dealers in Mumbai/Thane/Navi Mumbai and bargain with them all. If you take insurance from the dealer, you can bargain hard for a discount of around 30% and around 10% on the accessories.

Good luck!
su_spatil is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks