Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th June 2017, 09:48   #2236
BANNED

Re: Tata Hexa : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by patil View Post
My first concern is are there any niggling issues with the hexa.
Though I don't own a Hexa, based on what I hear from other owners: None of them seem to be having any major niggles except one who has opted for the official sunroof accessory. Again it is a workmanship issue and has nothing to do with the product.

Quote:
How reliable is the hexa when compared to the crysta.
What is reliability in your opinion? If you are referring to a car that has the ability to take you and your family from point A to point B in comfort and safety anytime without any fuss / breakdowns etc then the Hexa is more than reliable.

Quote:
How well will it age say down the line in five years.
Not as good as wine would On a serious note, I have been using the Aria for the last 4.5 years and 60K+ kms and there is not a single squeak in the cabin even today. I have had no repairs as such except couple of warranty replacements such as the coolant expansion tank (had a tiny pin hole leakage) and power steering high pressure line - again a minor leak near the crimping area.

Quote:
Will it have a good resale value after 5 years.
Our market is crazy and the used car market is even more crazy and largely biased towards the brand rather than the product. Do not expect Innova like resale but IMO it should be better than Aria.

Quote:
What is the ncap safety rating for the hexa.
I tried looking up for this data and had even dropped a Tweet to Tata Motors about this but no luck yet. Though there are no official numbers, I feel the car is crash tested in their in-house test facility.
Refer link below.

Last edited by ampere : 26th June 2017 at 23:41. Reason: Edited out other forum info.
Kishen.padiyar is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 26th June 2017, 21:37   #2237
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PraNeel View Post
Surprisingly they feel that Innova has better ride and handling. In the end they feel though Hexa is a strong package, however Innova still is the king of segment.
That is quite contrary to the general consensus here in the forum. No matter how good Autocar is, I guess I will go by what team-bhpians have reported.

But then since the quality and space is quite obvious, by giving the ride and handling too to Hexa, they can't maintain Innova as the king. So..
vibbs is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th June 2017, 06:02   #2238
BHPian

Autocar review has been done in hurry - in first few minutes, she speaks about storage space in front - cleverly omits the cooled glovebox, second glovebox and sunglasses holder (present just above her head) when talking about Hexa
Abhishek_Garg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2017, 12:31   #2239
BHPian

Dear proud Hexa owners, I have few queries:

1. Do you also feel steering-wheel vibration (jerks) while driving on undulated patch of roads?

2. Do you find rear seat occupants complaining on a long drive?

3. How do you rate the fatigue to the driver and co-passengers after driving few hundred kilometers at a stretch in a mixed road and traffic condition?

Thanks
Old 27th June 2017, 14:21   #2240

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbishwa View Post

1. Do you also feel steering-wheel vibration (jerks) while driving on undulated patch of roads?
The feedback from the steering is quite pronounced. I wouldn't characterize that as jerky, though. If it is jerky, you should contact the service center. I am not sure how to objectively describe this, but if you feel it is not normal, then it probably isn't.

Quote:
I have a 6 seater version with captain seats. I recently did a 600 km trip in one day and there were no complaints from people seating in the two captain seats. I haven't experienced third row seats in long drive situations. I don't think it would be very comfortable in the third row for a longer duration trip.

Quote:
3. How do you rate the fatigue to the driver and co-passengers after driving few hundred kilometers at a stretch in a mixed road and traffic condition?
I use my Hexa XTA mostly in the city, but for a couple of road trips that I have done, I can safely say that the ride is extremely comfortable. The cabin feels airy, roomy, and the fatigue level was very low. That's for the Automatic Transmission. I took a TD of the manual one and I did not like that at all. Maybe Hexa MT owners can shed some light here.
dipamji is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th June 2017, 14:36   #2241
BHPian

Quote:
Dear proud Hexa owners, I have few queries:

Thanks
I am on the the few blokes who managed to get 2 long test drives (~30 and ~25 kms respectively) (probably because I told i'm trading in my Safari for the Hexa)

For the second test drive we were 6 adults and 2 kids, so yes a full house. and of the 25 odd kms, 10 kms was on totally no roads/mud and stones which would have been a task even for the Safari.
the 3rd row housed 5'6" and 5'4" adults and throughout the drive they did not complain of too much bounciness, except for the lack of hear room space above. Over nasty bumps at speed once in a while their heads did make contact with the roof, but nothing too serious. overall happy with the handling and comfort with seven on board.

I did not find any vibration in the seats, steering or any body/plastic panel once throughout the off roading experience. also the cabin stayed quite and not much noise from outside crept it (we deliberately switched off the audio system for this) (the car had run 8000+kms in test drives!)

I had a few grouses though. My legs foul with the console below (im 6'0) and there is no proper armrest for the left hand (spoilt due to my safari integrated armrests)
but the driving position was relaxed and gear shifting were far far better than my safari.
the engine is a laggard below 1200rpms and i did find not much difference in the Auto/Comfort/Dynamic modes at all! I felt it was all gimicky.
The rough road was good though, slot it in and the car with a full load also creeps and crawls all over the rough terrain without your throttel inputs.

Overall was impressed by the car, and is one of the shortlist candidates for the next vehicle
racer_m is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th June 2017, 16:49   #2242
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer_m View Post

I had a few grouses though. My legs foul with the console below (im 6'0) and there is no proper armrest for the left hand (spoilt due to my safari integrated armrests)
but the driving position was relaxed and gear shifting were far far better than my safari.
the engine is a laggard below 1200rpms and i did find not much difference in the Auto/Comfort/Dynamic modes at all! I felt it was all gimicky.
The difference in drive modes are much more observable when on highways along with huge differences in mileage and performance.
The car can easily do overtakes in auto/dynamic and is fun to drive as it becomes more responsive. In comfort, it is very difficult to pull overtakes and i found it impossible to cross 130kmph.

As there are so many observable differences, I mentioned in my review that its like "driving four different cars"!

But yes, in city/rough road, you cannot observe much difference.
Old 27th June 2017, 17:55   #2243
BHPian

My wife was on driving seat on our HEXA XTA yesterday while coming back to Noida, Car has done 4200 KM. I was enjoying the ride sitting at passenger seat and car was cruising at around at speed of 98 and suddenly I felt car is losing speed even cruise control was on. I asked my wife to stop the car and park on side of expressway, we were around 20 Km before Agra on new Lucknow - Agra expressway. I saw that ABS sign has popped up. I thought might some fuse has blown. Checked the ABS fuse it was fine. Tried to start the car and car was not starting, engine was cranking but car will not start. it was already 5:30 PM so i was worried as expressway is not still safe after dark, called Tata motors helpline immediately and ask the breakdown service to reach on the spot. While I was waiting for technicians to reach I tried again to start the car again I put one foot on break and one on accelerator and car started in few attempts ABS sign and engine malfunction sign was coming continuously. I moved the car and it was running but not picking the speed and rpm needle was flickering. I still started driving and reached to Yamuna expressway entry point and asked tech to reach there as that place is safe and fast to reach for techs. Tech came by 7 PM and he was kind of helpless as he has no idea on automatic cars. He advised us to reach nearest service center Ashoka sales, Agra and they drove the car immediately to service center. We reached at service center around 7:30 PM but no tech was available due to Eid holiday and showroom was closed already. Tata motors was following up with me continuously. There was one guy in showroom who was about to leave, once he saw that we need help immediately he called his techs but no one was ready to come. finally, he convinced one tech to reach workshop in 30 minute. Tech came at 8:30 and started diagnosis and found 2 errors one ABS connection lost and second related to engine malfunction. He tried to look at engine malfunction first and it was pointing to cam shaft sensor, EGR etc. He checked Cam shaft sensor and he told me its ok, but I told him that looks like the culprit based on symptom and suggestion on OBD software. Meanwhile Tata has also sent one technical person from Tata motors to look in to it. Around 9:15 PM almost they gave up and told we will look in to tomorrow morning once all the tech support is there.
Finally, they said let’s try to change the cam shaft sensor before closing the day, He took sensor from storm standing there and put in my HEXA and car started without a fuss. That was the culprit. Had a long test drive and car was performing back as it was few hours before and all the errors gone after they cleared the logs and checked again.

Very unhappy to see this happening at 4200 Km but positives were that service and support was great. Tata motors offered hotel for family if car cannot be repaired with in few hours. They also offered cab service to send us to Noida and they will send the car after fixing it.
Anuruddhs is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 27th June 2017, 18:11   #2244
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anuruddhs View Post
My wife was on driving seat on our HEXA XTA yesterday while coming back to Noida ....
Same place, same evening time, but my car was different and the fault was different. Me and a friend were heading back towards Noida when the belt shifter on my Skoda broke, and i was really worried because of my female friend's safety. Ultimately had to tow the car with a truck as no help was available, but thank God, we made to Noida by night time. Culprits like sensor act sometimes, but good thing is that our Indian car giant Tata motors is climbing the ladder in Quality and ASS.
sajid33 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th June 2017, 18:40   #2245
BHPian

I don't know about future but TATA motors really focused to provide great customer experience on HEXA as of now. I don't understand how the sensor can go bad so early, but I felt like a premium customer the way things are listened when its about Hexa. Dealers are still running with old mentality and they will take time to catch up with new expectations TATA motors had setup.

Even it was a big issue yesterday why The tech drove the car, It should come to service station in pickup truck and even towing is not allowed for HEXA. I had to clarify at Tata motors that we were at really lonely place and anything can happen if we wait for pickup truck. Still the breakdown tech was not allowed to leave until the car was fixed. Even I was surprised to see the engineer from Tata motors coming at such a odd time and also checking back today morning again that everything is working fine.
Anuruddhs is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 27th June 2017, 19:16   #2246
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anuruddhs View Post
I moved the car and it was running but not picking the speed and rpm needle was flickering. I still started driving and reached to Yamuna expressway entry point and asked tech to reach there as that place is safe and fast to reach for techs.
It could be because ECU puts engine on limp mode to avoid any possible further damage. Generally the RPM gets restricted to 1600 or so.
The rule to follow is that if there are any serious fault codes present on the dashboard one should not drive the car any further and it should be towed to the service center for diagnostic.
But, what if this happens at a time and place which is not safe, like in this case, and its nothing too serious like just a sensor error and nothing much?
Similar thing happened to me once, and thankfully I had an OBD scanner with me, my Xylo (mHawk 2.2L) all of a sudden, in the middle of nowhere, lost power and went in the limp mode and check engine light came up. I ran the diagnostics it came out to be an error code related to EGR valve, vacuum pump. I cleared the error code and the car was running fine again. I was able to reach home driving the car sedately.
Later the issue was resolved (EGR Valve replaced) but the point is, if you have an OBD scanner, at times it can prove to be more than just a geek toy and might rescue you from a tight situation. So, I would suggest everyone to get one, as in modern cars, you just don't know which sensor will through tantrums at what time and place.

Last edited by wrongturn : 27th June 2017 at 19:26.
Old 27th June 2017, 19:58   #2247
BHPian

I am planning to buy hexa xta early in July. Any hints what would be ex showroom price after GST?
Old 27th June 2017, 23:34   #2248
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PraNeel View Post
Surprisingly they feel that Innova has better ride and handling.
Thanks for sharing the video. That bit about the ride and handling caught me by surprise as well. While the Crysta does have a very good ride, the imperfections in the road surface are felt much more than in the Hexa (especially at lower speeds). That being said, at higher speeds (> 85kmph) the Crysta's ride evens out and is very impressive. If Autocar were to argue that the Crysta was overall better than the Hexa in the ride and handling department, they should have made the case that a UV's (SUV's?) home turf is mile-munching/highways, and thus the Crysta is better (by a small margin).

In every other way, be it the ride and handling in city, or the better power steering calibration, the Hexa is superior.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibbs View Post
But then since the quality and space is quite obvious, by giving the ride and handling too to Hexa, they can't maintain Innova as the king. So..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhishek_Garg View Post
Autocar review has been done in hurry - in first few minutes, she speaks about storage space in front - cleverly omits the cooled glovebox, second glovebox and sunglasses holder (present just above her head) when talking about Hexa
It pains me to say this, but Renuka Kripalani is not very good. She's been around for a long time, but her reviews have always felt vapid and devoid of information that could help make a purchase decision. Forget about attention to detail that team-bhp members are used to.
Amartya is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 28th June 2017, 13:02   #2249
Senior - BHPian

Spotted a test mule Hexa . (was red MH14 number plate)

On Pune-Solpur highway on 26-06-2017 near Indapur crossroad.

It was dark grey without any camouflage ...

Any one seen it?
jeepster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2017, 18:48   #2250
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepster View Post
Spotted a test mule Hexa . (was red MH14 number plate)

On Pune-Solpur highway on 26-06-2017 near Indapur crossroad.

It was dark grey without any camouflage ...

Any one seen it?

Exciting news! I expect the following changes the test mule may be going through:

1. XTA 4x4 version

2. Electric seat adjustment for passengers (at least driver)

3. A lighter vehicle with some modification in chassis (asking BIG!!)

4. With upgraded AVN system..

5. Better handling and reach adjustment for steering (and no vibration on steering wheel!)

6. Smaller wheel on highest version (17 or 18 inches)

7. Full of safety features

we may expect the refreshed Hexa on its first anniversary or before at the time of Dussera-Diwali..I guess..

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks