Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th July 2017, 09:28   #2326
Team-BHP Support

Re: Tata Hexa : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelex View Post
I am more or less decided about the hexa but not sure whether I should spend an extra 100k for AMT which does not have all the safety features and an inferior mileage as compared to XT. What are the real life figures of mileage for XT and XTA?
AMT?

It's a proper torque converter automatic gearbox sourced from Punch Powerglide, France.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2017, 09:31   #2327
BHPian

Sorry. I am not too clear about the nomenclature. I was comparing the manual and automatic versions of hexa.
Old 10th July 2017, 09:41   #2328
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Sorry. I am not too clear about the nomenclature. I was comparing the manual and automatic versions of hexa.
Ok.

AMT is a low cost technology to automatically actuate the clutch and engage gears as needed. Key point is that the clutch and gearbox is similar to the manual transmission and only the actuator is additional. That helps keep costs low. Tiago and Zest etc uses AMT tech.

Whereas Hexa has a proper traditional 6 speed torque converter gearbox.

Is it worth? IMO, yes.

Because the manual Hexa is a bit heavy to drive. Whereas the automatic does the job decent enough and takes the stress of clutch and gear changes away from the driver.

That is, assuming you are looking at on-road usage and won't miss the AWD ability.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2017, 10:16   #2329
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gautamkhadse View Post
Wow , those alloys certainly take away all that butch look of Hexa and make it look oh so mediocre . With that much of sidewall , imagine the bouncy ride and wobbly feeling .
I had an Aria pure LX earlier which was sold before buying the XTA. My feedback on both the tyres is that the 16inch have an advantage for driving on extremely bad roads, whereas the 19inch give more steering feedback and at the same time transmit road imperfections. Also on higher speeds body control feels much tighter vs the 16inch. That said I haven't driven the XM/XMA variants which have upgraded suspension compared to Aria. The 16 inch cost around 8000 vs 12100rs for the 19inch.

Last edited by damodar : 10th July 2017 at 10:39.
damodar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th July 2017, 10:35   #2330
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Wow , those alloys certainly take away all that butch look of Hexa and make it look oh so mediocre . With that much of sidewall , imagine the bouncy ride and wobbly feeling . IMHO , I would rather go for a MOM or some aftermarket alloy if I really had to choose .
Bouncy ride and wobbly feeling? On the contrary, the fat sidewall will ensure that the ride quality is even better. The car will filter out minor imperfections that you otherwise can feel through the 19"s and will not crash through any large bumps either.

The only logic behind those huge 19" alloys on the XT/XTA is looks and looks alone. Otherwise, smaller rims and fatter tires are more practical every time.

PS: Innova Crysta had to move from 17" to 16" after a spate of tire bursts and related incidents. Hexa 19"ers have been the only exception, otherwise big alloys and low profile tires just do not work here in India.

Last edited by Shreyans_Jain : 10th July 2017 at 10:40.
Shreyans_Jain is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th July 2017, 11:23   #2331
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
Bouncy ride and wobbly feeling? On the contrary, the fat sidewall will ensure that the ride quality is even better. The car will filter out minor imperfections that you otherwise can feel through the 19"s and will not crash through any large bumps either.

The only logic behind those huge 19" alloys on the XT/XTA is looks and looks alone. Otherwise, smaller rims and fatter tires are more practical every time.

PS: Innova Crysta had to move from 17" to 16" after a spate of tire bursts and related incidents. Hexa 19"ers have been the only exception, otherwise big alloys and low profile tires just do not work here in India.
I think side wall flex will result in wobbly feeling. For this not to happen, the sidewall has to be re-inforced and really firm.
Old 10th July 2017, 11:30   #2332
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
I think side wall flex will result in wobbly feeling.
Quote:
With that much of sidewall , imagine the bouncy ride and wobbly feeling . IMHO , I would rather go for a MOM or some aftermarket alloy if I really had to choose .
Guys, those are tyres and not balloons. Maintain the right inflation (pressure) and there is no problem at all.
Old 10th July 2017, 11:48   #2333
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
I think side wall flex will result in wobbly feeling. For this not to happen, the sidewall has to be re-inforced and really firm.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kishen.padiyar View Post
Guys, those are tyres and not balloons. Maintain the right inflation (pressure) and there is no problem at all.
+1

And let's not loose context here. We are talking about a full sized minivan which will be used on typically Indian roads. Not a German sports sedan. Really don't think anyone will complain about the Hexa's handling being 'loose' with 16" wheels.
Shreyans_Jain is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2017, 14:19   #2334
BHPian

Quote:
Wow , those alloys certainly take away all that butch look of Hexa and make it look oh so mediocre .
They don't look butch but look elegant. At least much better than the stock steel rims.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Hexa : Official Review-screenshot_20170710141457.png  

Last edited by damodar : 10th July 2017 at 14:28.
damodar is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th July 2017, 15:16   #2335
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by damodar View Post
They don't look butch but look elegant. At least much better than the stock steel rims.
Absolutely agreed! The rims look good on the lower variants. Though they do not match the 19 inchers in looks, they greatly enhance the overall appearance of the vehicle, compared to bland steel rims.
Old 10th July 2017, 15:47   #2336
BANNED

Recepie for making Hexas go flying off the shelves:
  • Make 16" alloys, cruise control power folding ORVMs standard on the XM/XMA and price it on par with XUV W6 (currently the XM undercuts the W6 by about a lakh OTR, Bangalore).
  • Offer XE with more colors rather than just pearl white and add rear wash/wipe, body colored ORVMs and door handles at the same 10.99L sticker price.

XT and XTA are already bringing in the volumes so no major rejig required here. Other features like the motorized seat adjustment, bigger touchscreen etc may probably be held up for a future 'XZ' variant.

Last edited by SDP : 10th July 2017 at 18:33. Reason: replaced >> with proper bullets
Kishen.padiyar is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 10th July 2017, 16:28   #2337
Senior - BHPian

Well said. However, instead of cruise control, I would prefer XM/XMA to get Auto Climate Control, fog lamps+DRL. The reason I say this is that XM/XMA look very bland from the front end without the fog lamps & DRLs.
Old 10th July 2017, 17:48   #2338
BHPian

Quote:
I am more or less decided about the hexa but not sure whether I should spend an extra 100k for AMT which does not have all the safety features and an inferior mileage as compared to XT. What are the real life figures of mileage for XT and XTA?
For XT real life figures on highways are 16-17 KMpl and with in city around 13 and XTA 14-15 KMpl and 10KMpl respectively with AC on all the time .

I own a XTA and on yamuna expressway kind of road in cruise control for 400 Km drive its around 16-16.5 even in XTA but if I talk about regular highways it comes around 14 KMpl at highway specified speed limits.
Anuruddhs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2017, 18:02   #2339
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kishen.padiyar View Post
Recepie for making Hexas go flying off the shelves:
>Offer XE with more colors rather than just pearl white and add rear wash/wipe, body colored ORVMs and door handles at the same 10.99L sticker price.

Offering only white & a lower tune of engine certainly gives out an impression that the XE variant is targeted at the fleet market. The 320nm engine is somewhat defensible because Tata would've kept it to keep the entry model sticker price low and it was doing an able duty in both the Aria & Safari Dicor, but after the discontinuation of the latter two recently, it means that this engine is now only doing duty in this variant in Tata's entire portfolio. Surely they can stop making these & plonk the Varicor 400 engine in XE as well. To keep costs down, do away with the engine modes.
But offering only white color as an option is baffling to say the least, its indefensible.
Other than that, I think the XE variant is pretty well equipped for a base variant - 2 Airbags with ABS & EBD, Discs all round, Solid built, good interiors, decent ICE with steering mounted controls & fulfills almost all the basic requirements & is the most VFM car in this price range post GST, imo.

Last edited by r0nit7 : 10th July 2017 at 18:04.
Old 10th July 2017, 18:38   #2340
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0nit7 View Post
... but after the discontinuation of the latter two recently, it means that this engine is now only doing duty in this variant in Tata's entire portfolio.
The last I checked, Varicor320 was still the engine for STORME LX/EX as well .
Reinhard is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks