Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 8th August 2017, 00:37   #2581
BHPian

After all the positive news of price correction, now this! :banghead:

Posting here for easy reference.

http://m.timesofindia.com/business/i..._campaign=show

Last edited by McLaren Roxx : 8th August 2017 at 00:38.
Old 8th August 2017, 07:08   #2582
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tata Hexa : Official Review

I was at the showroom for my little Nano's service, that gave me an opportunity to check out the Hexa. The most impressive feature to me was the seat comfort. All 4 seats - in that version - are supremely comfortable and as hard as they need to be if the back isn't to revolt after a 10 hour run. Brilliant.

The other impression was paisa vasool on the basis of just material content - the car is BIG, looks heavy and solidly built to go the distance in miles and years. But to me, it is way too big for city use, and an ideal long distance, large family cruiser.

I would worry about after sales support for all it contains over a service life of 10+ years. But it would be less of a concern than with Skoda or VW. I am lot more confident of getting Tata senior management attention to any problem of that kind that may arise over that time span that I am of any other auto maker, so that is a big plus.

Mature, if a little bloated effort from Tata.
Sawyer is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th August 2017, 14:46   #2583
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikvkv View Post
Hey guys I'm proud to announce that we took the delivery of Tata hexa xta Arizona blue on 5/8/2017.
Great! Congratulations on your intelligent decision! Wish you lovely ownership experiences!

Quote:
Did a 800 kms trip today. Three things annoyed me. First is the ride quality. The famed ride quality of hexa as posted by many here including Mr GTO, I don't know if the tires are highly inflated or something, each and every bump was felt by each member sitting in the car.
1st thing, GTO remarks and observations can be easily taken for granted! And, it is not only Teambhp, but the whole automobile community who declared the Hexa for its best of the class (or above class!) ride! So, please check the things little closely, as rightly identified by you.

Quote:
Secondly the headlamps, they are outright poor. The high beam does a decent job with good throw but the low beam projector is pathetic. No proper throw or spread just a dull output even pathetic than our Tavera.
Well, in that case I suggest keep your fog lamp ON all the time along with headlamps, and later stage think about replacing with a better alternative.

Quote:
Will try to pen down my ownership review if time permits me. Regards.
Appears your review would be more down to the earth, awaiting!! In the meanwhile enjoy riding the beast!

Mod Note : Please do NOT reply to posts using bold text within a quoted post, as it leads to visual discomfort for readers. Additionally, it's inconvenient to quote & reply to such a post.

For the correct way to quote, please see this thread.

Thanks!

Last edited by Aditya : 8th August 2017 at 17:52. Reason: Incorrect quoting - using bold text in existing quotes
kbishwa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2017, 15:23   #2584
BANNED

I picked my XE on the 4th of August, here are the few initial observations -

-ves

1) The door lock/unlock levers are crappy, they are really cheap quality and feel out of place in the otherwise nicely laid out cabin bits.

2) This one is the biggest grouse, rotary knobs for the Inflow/Outflow Ducts, AC and AC Air Flow directions are the worst quality ones that I have ever seen in my car owning history of about close to 2 decades. They are absolute trash, I am hoping they last a season or two. The volume knob on the ICE feels the same. Why TATA why, when you have such a wonderful product, why to give people such an opportunity to trash these minor bits.

The above stated 2 would have costed not more than ~ 600-700 bucks, I am not worried about these 2 falling apart, but the good old TATA quality niggles of things that are under the skin makes me a worried man.

3) No engine cover on the 320, there is one on the 400 variant.

Neutral Things

1) Gear Shift, people coming from VW, Hyundai would find it notchier, I myself am coming from Optra Magnum (the best gear shifter I have ever dealt with, self slotting gates) was expecting it to behave the way it is. Light Years better than the Scorpio.

2) As mentioned in the official review (doors being not that heavy), though the vehicle weighs ~2200 Kgs but I have not been able to figure out where those Kgs have gone into, the doors are heavy but not vault like heavy. Optra doors were simply brilliant, way better than Hexa.

3) Outside Noise Filtering In - I think TATA could have done a better job here, it is not highly intrusive but insulation could have been better (I am talking about the outside vehicle noise not the engine noise here).

+ves

1) Much has been said about the Ride and to put it into plain jane words, it is exemplary.

2) Seating position, I was driving the Ertiga for 3 months and each time I sat into it I had to adjust either the seat or the mirrors to get a hang of things.

3) View from the Drivers Desk - Nice all round view (the A pillar hampers a bit), but overall the perched position and they way the seat is laid out, you actually are in a position that you actually feel looking into the road (angle of depression) rather than floating view on the sedans.

4) HPS Bliss & Steering Feel - So after moving to the Ertiga from the Optra (still have a Gen 1 Figo), I never felt connected. With the Hexa, the HPS has smile plastered on my face, I shall never move to an EPS.

5) Audio - Nice for an ICE, on the higher variants with the Sub Woofer it is awesome.

6) Dashboard Layout and Quality - The dashboard is neatly laid out and the quality on the dash is really nice.

7) Door Panels and Inserts - On the Ertiga, Day 1 onwards I felt, they might fall apart any given day, they were hollow, el cheapo quality. Hexa's inserts are leagues ahead.

8) Boot on the Gear Box - Feels nice and looks that it might last the distance.

9 AC - Fantastic (again, I am coming from a Gen 1 Figo) and I shall keep it there.

To summarize -

At 40% of the price of the Fortuner, Endeavor, Outlander, you get 95% (Comfort, Ride, Perched Up position, Space, Feel) of what these 2 offer, the TATA Hexa is an excellent excellent product, very well rounded with all the road presence that you need.

Why people say that Fortuner/Outlander/Endeavor are SUV's and Hexa is an MUV or to put it in other words, the Indian Definition of an SUV-

1) GC is more than 200 mm or read it as, Indian feel the higher the GC, the more SUVish their steed is.
2) Bonnet way longer than the Rear Overhang.
3) Height more than 1800 mm.
4) Love for multinational brands.

Guys, take a break, checkout the Hexa and it has all the road presence that an SUV ever needed.

Handling is way better than the Safari, the interiors are better than the XUV, overall the feel (Space, Comfort, Heavyness, Ride, Seating Position) of the Hexa when I TD it for the first time was leagues ahead of all the vehicles stated in my comments ahead and at the end, pricing for what it offered made me sell my 3 month old Ertiga and graduate to this beast.

You gotta checkout the Hexa for what it is in person (please do not go by what you might have heard of a yesteryear TATA), throw the TATA pre conceived notions out of the window and FEEL, just FEEL this BEAST, to add to it check out the price and compare anywhere else.

Disclaimer: All the above stated are my personal views on the Hexa and other vehicles, no offence was intended to any owner or perspective owners.

Last edited by Torquedo : 8th August 2017 at 15:31.
Torquedo is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 8th August 2017, 22:17   #2585
BHPian

surprisingly Hexa has not entered the taxi segment as yet. Is it because Tata are not allowing the vehicle to be registered as a taxi or RTO hasn't given the permission.

Recently took a ride in an Aria and it was indeed very comfortable. The front seat has a very narrow footwell and for a 6'1" guy like me, I kept fouling with the underside of the dash
Old 9th August 2017, 00:32   #2586
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torquedo View Post
I picked my XE on the 4th of August, here are the few initial observations -
Congrats on your new buy!

Could you please post some photographs of the interiors. Internet is full of hexa pictures but all XT variants. Very few XE variant photos to be seen.

How does the engine drive compared to the 400?
vibbs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2017, 00:50   #2587
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palio_2005 View Post
surprisingly Hexa has not entered the taxi segment as yet. Is it because Tata are not allowing the vehicle to be registered as a taxi or RTO hasn't given the permission.

Recently took a ride in an Aria and it was indeed very comfortable. The front seat has a very narrow footwell and for a 6'1" guy like me, I kept fouling with the underside of the dash
And that's why we see crystas and XUVs too to some extent gather more sales. Hope Hexa never enters the taxi segment.
Old 9th August 2017, 08:54   #2588
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibbs View Post
Congrats on your new buy!
Thanks a Lot !!

Quote:
Could you please post some photographs of the interiors. Internet is full of hexa pictures but all XT variants. Very few XE variant photos to be seen.
I sure would have loved to, I'm traveling at the time being due to work related issues for a month. Pardon me for the expected delay. There is a Video on YouTube by Yashpal Thakur for about 1 min 57 Sec, that should provide you with a good insight.

Noteworthy things are -

1) In the old Hexa Brochures it is mentioned that the XE does not have Chrome Rings on the Tacho and Speedo, but they indeed are there.

2) Old Brochure mentions that there is no 3.5 Inch TFT screen between the above stated dial, but it is indeed there & it looks super.

3) Old Brochure mentions that there are no soft touch door inserts but they are very much there.

4) The XE has a Black Plastic on the Steering, the XM and XT have the same material painted in brushed aluminum color.

5) There is leather on the upper glove box and along the headlight switch as in the higher variants.

6) There is brushed aluminum finish on the side air con vents and lower lip of the upper glove box on the higher variants, it is not there on the XE.

Quote:
How does the engine drive compared to the 400?
Ha Ha, I had the exact same question in my mind when I heading for a purchase.

There are 2 ways to look at it -

1) If you have the dough and are willing to spend (~2.25L more on the XM), there is no substitute to power, at the same time let me tell you that by no stretch of the imagination, 320 is lumpy or feels lethargic, it pulls and pulls. It is supremely torquey in nature.

2) If you want Max Bang for the buck, XE it is. Worth mentioning is the fact that matt finish wrapping all around looks classy on the Pearl White XE.

Last edited by Torquedo : 9th August 2017 at 08:55.
Torquedo is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th August 2017, 09:12   #2589
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I picked my XE on the 4th of August, here are the few initial observations -.
Thanks for your crisp observations. If you don't mind, could you share the on road price that you got the vehicle for?

Wish you a million miles of safe & happy driving!

Cheers,
Vikram
Old 9th August 2017, 09:16   #2590
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
Thanks for your crisp observations. If you don't mind, could you share the on road price that you got the vehicle for?

Wish you a million miles of safe & happy driving!

Cheers,
Vikram
Thanks a lot for the wishes, Vikram.

My OTR including Extended Warranty and Self Insurance was, 12.85L (Delhi).

For anyone looking at the Hexa in the NCR, please PM me, my SA @ Concorde was a gem of a person and I'm sure he shall try to get the best deals for anyone who reaches out to him.
Torquedo is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th August 2017, 10:02   #2591
Senior - BHPian

At Rs 12.85 lakhs on road, if you can use the car in its environment where its dimensions are not a constraint and where enough passengers are to be moved, I don't think there is anything that offers more value in India today than this deal, where cars are concerned.
Sawyer is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 9th August 2017, 10:09   #2592
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My OTR including Extended Warranty and Self Insurance was, 12.85L (Delhi)..
That's a mouth watering price, seriously. A colleague of mine is evaluating the Scorpio (don't ask me why ); I'll ask him to TD the Hexa too. The XE variant will definitely be cheaper than the Scorpio S10, maybe even the S8, and miles ahead in all other aspects like space, comfort, ride quality, interiors etc.

Cheers,
Vikram
comfortablynumb is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th August 2017, 12:25   #2593
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
At Rs 12.85 lakhs on road, if you can use the car in its environment where its dimensions are not a constraint and where enough passengers are to be moved, I don't think there is anything that offers more value in India today than this deal, where cars are concerned.
Absolutely, if one needs that size it is hard to beat the value proposition of Hexa. It is a shame that they still can't sell it well.
vibbs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2017, 14:02   #2594
BHPian

Yesterday took my beast to a spin inside the city. Soon I realised the enormous road presence the hexa has. I had to be doubly careful in the mad traffic. Everyone was ogling at it like it was a BMW or Audi. At a traffic signal stood next to a fortuner which I felt looked smaller than the hexa, no Offence to fortuner owners. I'm keeping my fingers crossed on the fuel consumption as I fear it may give a single digit reading per litre of diesel.
Regards.
Vikvkv is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th August 2017, 14:04   #2595
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
Definitely yes!! It blows BRV, Lodgy by a big margin, provided what you say about the driving environment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
That's a mouth watering price, seriously. A colleague of mine is evaluating the Scorpio (don't ask me why ); I'll ask him to TD the Hexa too. The XE variant will definitely be cheaper than the Scorpio S10, maybe even the S8, and miles ahead in all other aspects like space, comfort, ride quality, interiors etc.

Cheers,
Vikram
With the kind of ride comfort Hexa provides, the XE model has all the potential to hit the commercial segment, head on with Innova, Scorpio and so-on! Well. don't know the plans. And higher sales number benefits all, including proud customers!

Quote:
Absolutely, if one needs that size it is hard to beat the value proposition of Hexa. It is a shame that they still can't sell it well.
I agree, I also suspect the capabilities of Tata Motors in marketing its products, I feel same for the Nano for the segment it addresses!

Most Viewed