Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th August 2017, 11:54   #2806
BHPian

Re: Tata Hexa : Official Review

This is purely based on my observations, that too visual observation.

It is been close to 8 months that this vehicle was launched and I still don't see any/much of them running on the roads; not at least one that expected of a, even moderately successful vehicle/model. I could remember barely seeing this car 3-4 times on the road in last eight months.

For instance, in Pune, I have seen it only once while the rest three times it was Mumbai. Same is the case in Banglore. People (my friends) don't see it on the road there either.

Can I safely say that this vehicle from Tata has bombed in the Box Office? If so, what could be the reason/s?

No doubt Tatas had a good product, knowing their history, in comparative terms. The look, though much like an Aria, it still wasn't that distasteful. Price was little on the higher side looking at the competition/competitor in this segment and the historical bogie that Tata always carried along. I am still OK with someone paying 19 Lk (ex-showroom) for a Hexa top-end. So why this car flopped so badly?

Any insight?

Last edited by BeingCynical : 30th August 2017 at 11:57.
BeingCynical is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2017, 12:09   #2807
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeingCynical View Post
--SNIP--
Any insight?
I would say it is just your observation or could be possible that Hexa is not popular in Pune or Mumbai (more on this later). I have been seeing a lot of Hexas in Hyderabad city and most of them are blue XTAs. There are 5 (or maybe 6) of them in 2 km-radius of my house. There are 2 of them in my office. In comparison, I see lot lesser number of Crystas in my locality and none in my office. While my comparison is not fair at all, I wouldn't call Hexa a flop. Rather it seems to be picking up well in the last 2 months.

I have seen certain models to be a favorite in certain regions only and I am not differentiating based on terrain but comparing regular cities. For example, Kwid is a success in India. But there are several hundred Kwids lying in stockyard in my home town due to lack of demand. The last I know, the dealer was exploring the option of transporting them to NE states where there is better demand for the car.

Any thoughts?

Last edited by ashis89 : 30th August 2017 at 12:11. Reason: Self check
ashis89 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2017, 12:14   #2808
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
I wouldn't call Hexa a flop. Rather it seems to be picking up well in the last 2 months.
I tend to agree with you on this. Maybe the whole value-price proposition has become attractive post GST. My spotting of Hexa in Pune has increased in past 2 months. My dealer said he has been selling 40-50 units of Hexa and which is why TML isnt rolling any offer / discounts.
Old 30th August 2017, 12:25   #2809
BHPian

Hey Ashis,

Just few pointers, which may be entirely wrong in the long term. Just to get the stats in perspective, the image below is the sales figure of few popular models in comparison with Hexa.

Tata Hexa : Official Review-carsell.jpg

Baring XUV and Scorpio, all other models were pretty much launched in-and-around the same time Hexa was launched. But look at their sales figure. You gave Crysta as a comparison in your response. Look at the sales figure of Crysta. It is almost six times that of Hexa.

I am no Auto expert in terms of the commerce attached to sales thereof, but cutting a sorry figure and barely reaching a figure of 1.5K after ten months in the market is a flop for me. I am sorry but figures in hundreds is no success.

Then again, I may be completely wrong though .

Last edited by GTO : 30th August 2017 at 22:16. Reason: Typos
BeingCynical is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th August 2017, 12:51   #2810
BHPian

Mod Note : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum. We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

Request to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Last edited by GTO : 30th August 2017 at 22:19.
travelex is offline   Received Infraction
Old 30th August 2017, 13:02   #2811
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

It is been close to 8 months that this vehicle was launched and I still don't see any/much of them running on the roads; not at least one that expected of a, even moderately successful vehicle/model. I could remember barely seeing this car 3-4 times on the road in last eight months.
On the contrary, I have seen quite a few Hexa on Pune's roads, almost at least 1 per day (may be its the same Hexa I see everyday ). Even during my recent visit to Mumbai, I saw a lot of Hexas on express way and in Mumbai. So in my opinion, it is no way a flop model.

When we call any model a success or failure, we should consider its price point and segment to which it belongs. A 4 lakh INR Alto sells 10k units per month whereas a 20 lakh INR vehicle will sell only about 500-600 in comparison.
ajay_satpute is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2017, 13:23   #2812
BHPian

Quote:
Then again, I may be completely wrong though
Yes you are. The chart you shared in your previous post cannot be used in the context to which you are referring to.
None of these were launched when the Hexa was (crysta has the HUGE advantage of the 'innova' brand which works miracles in the Indian market unfortunately).
Creta was launched back in 2015.
Hexa has just come 6 to 7 months back (excluding Jan as only a handful of people got deliveries post it's last week).

Coming to the cannot-see-on-road problem, you have to understand the segment this car is in. Regular hatchbacks and sedans are different. People in India prefer driving smaller cars in city on a daily basis. And almost every Hexa owner may own a smaller car.
Still, the number of sightings in Bangalore have drastically increased (in my case at least) and I've been parking my hexa practically next to another, when we go out to restaurants and movies (thrice this month).

Given all these, it is totally unfair to use the term "flop". Depends how you see the glass of water. Half full or half empty? However, on a lighter note, given your TBHP handle, i don't have to think much as to how you see it!
Infact, endeavours have not been spotted as much as Hexa back here. Which is really unfortunate as that car is seriously amazing!
abhi7013 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2017, 13:52   #2813
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
Any thoughts?
I think it's wrong to say that the product has flopped because you don't see it on road. The whole issue is the price point and reputation of Tata which is the reason you don't see large numbers flying off the shelf.

It takes time for a company to rebuild the trust. Maruti/Hyundai/Toyota have that brand value for them to be an instant success.

Tata's have just started serious efforts and I wish them luck...
Palio_2005 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2017, 13:57   #2814
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hey Ashis,
Just few pointers, which may be entirely wrong in the log term. Just to get the stats in perspective, the image below is the sales figure of few popular models in comparison with Hexa.
I agree on the sales figures and I keep following the monthly sales of all the models. As some of fellow BHPians have mentioned, Crysta enjoys the Toyota and the Innova brands. Same goes for Hyundai. Mahindra duos have been around for quite some time and they are going strong. But for a brand like Tata selling a relatively new 20L vehicle, I feel selling +/-1000 units every month shouldn't be termed as a flop.

I gave the example of Crysta since it is the most successful model right now in that price bracket. My focus was never on the volumes of Crysta vs. Hexa but the gradual acceptance of Hexa, mainly in Hyderabad city.

PS: I strongly believe that Creta and Crysta are grossly overpriced and I am surprised at their sales numbers. Especially for Creta, I was expecting it to have sales numbers which its bigger brother Tucson is having right now. I was wrong.
Old 30th August 2017, 13:58   #2815
BHPian

Spoke to my dealer and he said it is only approved and there is no official notification to them yet.

Further reading on ET revealed that
"The GST council may decide in its next meeting at 9th Sept on the date when the increased cess will be applicable"

As long as the vehicle gets invoiced before the applicable date, we are covered.

Last edited by GTO : 30th August 2017 at 22:20. Reason: Quoted post deleted
rohansd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2017, 14:18   #2816
Senior - BHPian

If the waiting period for Hexa is not long, then the numbers that its selling is really not encouraging.
I agree that seeing one on the roads is not the right way to judge the sales but looking at the numbers as mentioned above is.
Old 30th August 2017, 14:21   #2817
BHPian

The government has cleared the increase through the ordinance, however it will be applicable after the GST Council meeting of 9th Sept (9-9) where it is to be decided that from when the new GST rates to be made applicable.

So one still has 10 odd days! And expect festival promotions very soon to encash the opportunity by slow moving cars in the affected segments.

And, if it is notified on 9-9, what a festival-mood dampner for many automobile enthusiast, and of course for the sellers.

Last edited by GTO : 30th August 2017 at 22:20. Reason: Quoted post deleted
Old 30th August 2017, 14:27   #2818
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

For instance, in Pune, I have seen it only once while the rest three times it was Mumbai. Same is the case in Banglore. People (my friends) don't see it on the road there either.
I dont know about numbers, but surely, in Pune, the Hexa has found acceptance amongst a more discerning set of buyers. I havent yet seen a single "guntha mantri" (if you are from Pune, you would understand the type of people I am referring to) driving a Hexa , on the other hand, you see hordes of Crystas with Marathi numbers and political party . That could be one reason of the reduced visibility.
Old 30th August 2017, 14:34   #2819
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
If the waiting period for Hexa is not long, then the numbers that its selling is really not encouraging.
I agree that seeing one on the roads is not the right way to judge the sales but looking at the numbers as mentioned above is.
I agree, sighting or the lack of it can't directly be attributed to popularity/success of a particular car model, but, to be honest again, I can't remember a single car model which was popular/successful and yet the sighting was once in three months.

Ashish, being an owner of a Hexa, has his own point of view while judging Hexa's success but that may not be the fact on the ground.

A week back, I was at the Tata dealership to get my Safari serviced and to kill my time I did take a Hexa test ride. Casually it asked the delivery timeline. Within five days sir, prompt came the reply.

So the wait period for Hexa is almost zero. And this is Concorde Pune that I am talking about.

I repeat - scratching the bottom of the barrel to even touch (barely) the 1K mark in monthly sales is no success story. It points only in one direction - the model has flopped badly with very few buyers.

Thumb Rule To Plot Car Sales - the car sale of a particular model must see an upward trend for first five months at a stretch. After the initial euphoria dies down, if the model still shows an upward spike for next four months then it speaks volumes of the success. In case of Hexa, it was exactly opposite. I rather saw a nose dive in sales figure after January.

Sigh!!

Last edited by BeingCynical : 30th August 2017 at 14:40.
BeingCynical is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th August 2017, 14:41   #2820
BANNED

Here is a video I took while I was driving the Hexa XTA, we went till 90 kph on this bad patch but the ride was just awesome. Overall, suspension and race car mapare indeed the trump cards of the Hexa:

(No credits needed, shared for the purpose of showcasing the capability of the system.)
VKumar is offline   (9) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks