Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 18th September 2017, 11:34   #3001
BHPian

Re: Tata Hexa : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by centaur View Post

Am hearing it for the first time. How did they fit inside out in the first place? Didnt the tire protrude too much out of the wheel arch? How did they get enough clearance to even tighten the bolts?
Hi I am referring to the spare wheel mounting. As Abhi7013 says it is next to impossible to fix a wheel inside out.

Last edited by arulpeem : 18th September 2017 at 11:38.
Old 18th September 2017, 12:59   #3002
BHPian

Hi

Took delivery of my Hexa XTA 4*2 yesterday.

This was my first Tata delivery. Have previously taken deliveries of 2 MSIL Cars.

There is a significant difference between MSIL and TML. For one, the car was not cleaned properly, which I had to ensure that they did. Second, the vehicle was low on fuel, I had to argue for a fuel voucher, which they finally gave. Third, I identified a small scratch which they have agreed to remove at their expense.

These are not deal breakers but I would have been happier without them. I also agree that I am extra cautious in dealing with TML, and I have hardly cared so much during my MSIL deliveries.

The car rides like a dream and the family is happy Hope that there are no issues in the future and I have happy memories.

I am indebted to people in this forum and particularly this thread who have shared so much information.
Thank you so much!

us.dash
us.dash is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th September 2017, 13:10   #3003
BHPian

A question to my expert forum friends on something about XTA safety features. I have booked an XTA and waiting for it to be delivered by early next week.

There is no ESP with Roll-over Mitigation in XTA. But I see the Owner's Manual mentioning that the non-ESP versions have LSD (I assume in the rear axle). Isn't an LSD enough to get good traction on curves and slippery roads? Or my base assumption of having LSD on XTA itself is incorrect?
Old 18th September 2017, 14:35   #3004
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinodvayyat View Post
A question to my expert forum friends on something about XTA safety features. I have booked an XTA and waiting for it to be delivered by early next week.

There is no ESP with Roll-over Mitigation in XTA. But I see the Owner's Manual mentioning that the non-ESP versions have LSD (I assume in the rear axle). Isn't an LSD enough to get good traction on curves and slippery roads? Or my base assumption of having LSD on XTA itself is incorrect?
I do not know whether XTA has LSD or not but the only time LSD helps is when you have excessive wheel spin on one of your drive wheels due to loss of traction. Usually happens only during off road and slushy surfaces.
ESP apart from a similar task of LSD, also maintains the vehicle stability on road as well, by braking individual wheels and transfering power to the other wheel.

In short, you cannot really compare ESP with LSD, since ESP reacts to vehicle stability changes in microseconds while LSD offers traction to the other wheel after a few seconds of wheel spin.

Last edited by Holyghost : 18th September 2017 at 14:37.
Old 18th September 2017, 14:47   #3005
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi7013 View Post
No, i think he meant that the spare wheel was fixed the other way round on the clamp below the boot. Not installed inside out as a wheel!
I don't think anyone could be so incompetent too, save for a kid or a guy high on alcohol!
Quote:
Originally Posted by arulpeem View Post
Hi I am referring to the spare wheel mounting. As Abhi7013 says it is next to impossible to fix a wheel inside out.

Man! this so embarrassing. I so missed reading the post carefully. Sorry about that.

@Arulpeem - are you sure its a wrong mounting because many cars actually have it that way and to fill air in the spare you need to unscrew it, turn it, fill it up, turn it again and then screw it back. I need to follow this exercise every time I have to top up the spare in my car.

Also as per the pics in the review, it looks like that is how it is mounted in the hexa orginally. Looking at the pics, the mounting seems right to me if its inside out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post

Spare is an alloy wheel - carried below the body. 5-link rigid axle + coil spring rear. 200 mm of ground clearance is excellent:

EDIT - likewise in the innova too

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

All-black underbody looks clean & sturdy. Spare is mounted under the vehicle. All variants get a full-size alloy spare wheel . That chain is loose, but you don't hear it banging against the wheel inside. No mudflaps, not even tiny ones:

Last edited by centaur : 18th September 2017 at 14:53.
Old 18th September 2017, 18:54   #3006
BHPian

Hey everyone, any news about the XMA 4x4 variant that was rumoured to get launched later? Saw this in the user manual of Hexa too
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Hexa : Official Review-img_20170918_185121.jpg  

Sam_GTR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2017, 16:33   #3007
Senior - BHPian

XTA Transmission noises

At certain speeds, the transmission makes noise which sounds like a rubber flap brushing against the wheel or underbody.

I'm guessing this is expected for auto transmissions when the speed is not right for a gear and the tranny tries to keep it in the correct gear ?

Wanted to check with other drivers of the XTA.

thanks
Srinivas
Old 19th September 2017, 17:29   #3008
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smsrini View Post
XTA Transmission noises

At certain speeds, the transmission makes noise which sounds like a rubber flap brushing against the wheel or underbody.

I'm guessing this is expected for auto transmissions when the speed is not right for a gear and the tranny tries to keep it in the correct gear ?

thanks
Srinivas
I guess you are referring to the turbo noise which you get when the fins close after you lift your feet off the A pedal.
Its like a metal rubbing against another, or what we term it as the famous "engine gargle'. If that's the case, then it's pretty normal. If not, maybe other XTA owners can help!
Old 19th September 2017, 23:33   #3009
P21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by P21 View Post
Hello All,

Our sales advisers Mr. Medappa and Mr. Vishal are doing their best to deliver our vehicle before Ayudha Pooja. Vehicle was billed and shipped to Mysuru on 16th of September, 2017. Expected date of shipment arrival is 23rd of September, 2017.

Meanwhile we had discussions with both Sales and Service advisers. After negotiating, below is the revised price. These guys are yet to confirm exact reduction in Insurance, Handling and Logistics charges. Accessories adviser Mr. Vinayak is a tough negotiator. He did not leave even a single penny on the side steps and front bonnet chrome garnish, where as, other dealers are offering more than 10% discount here. Tyre pressure monitor system is an integral part with XUV, where as offered price for this accessory with HUD display is INR 11000. I am still on dilemma over this.

Tata Hexa : Official Review-hexa-price.jpg
  1. Corporate discount of INR 5000 was offered on Ex-showroom price.

2. Insurance - Dealer has offered to reduce Rs. 15000 approximately, which, he can confirm the exact amount after feeding the actual values in the system.

3. Prior to increase in Cess, Registration and Logistics charges were INR 3500 and INR 2000 respectively, total of which is INR 5500. Now with the revised pricing, they have clubbed both these charges and quoting us INR 11500. I have asked the SA to cancel these charges. He promised to come back after discussing with his higher ups - This is still pending. However, he has promised to reduce minimum 6000 INR on this. I am asking for the complete waive off.

4. Extended Warranty - Opted.

5. Maintenance - Quoted Annual Maintenance Package cost is INR 23167 and will be for 2 Years or 40000 Kms whichever is earlier - We had a detailed discussion with Urs Cars service adviser Mr. Vijaykanth. He is an enthusiastic chap and clarified all our doubts. AMC Gold package has four offers.

1 Year - 20000 Kms - INR 9170
    2 Years - 40000 Kms - INR 24067
    3 Years - 60000 Kms - INR 48236
    3 Years - 100000 Kms - INR 88606

There is an option to go for the AMC package before the first oil change. In this case it is before 20000 Kms or 365 Days whichever is earlier. Hence we decided to go for an AMC package after 10000 Kms or before 365 days whichever is earlier.

AMC Gold includes complete schedule service, i.e.,
    • Engine Oil Change (approximately 6.5 liters).
    • Oil and Fuel filter replacement.
    • Air filter inspection and replacement if necessary.
    • Wheel alignment and wheel balancing.
    • Labor charges.
    • Wear and Tear parts such as brake pads, drive belts, timing belt etc
    • Water wash

I am not sure about other fluid changes viz., Brake fluid, coolant, transmission oil, power steering oil (Note: Hydraulic unit). Will try to clarify in the next visit.

6. Standard fitments include mud flaps, floor mats, Door handle chrome and a 3M body polish - After a long negotiation, dealer agreed to offer these as freebies. However, we opted to cancel chrome on the doors. I feel its too much of chrome on The Hexa.

From the accessories list we liked only two.

Side steps - These are a must - INR 17000
Bonnet chrome garnish - We liked the look - INR 1724

We are yet to decide on below accessories.
Tyre pressure monitoring system - INR 11000 after discount
PVC Mats - INR 8500

If everything goes as per plan, planning to do PDI on Monday, 25th of September, 2017.

Regards,
P21
P21 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2017, 07:00   #3010
BHPian

Quote:
XTA Transmission noises

thanks
Srinivas
Hi sir,
The sound which you're referring to the transmission noise is the sound of the turbo actually. You'll get this sound of the turbocharger once the engine crosses or touches 2000 rpm. If this isn't the case, get the car checked at your nearest TASS.

Varun
Old 20th September 2017, 07:43   #3011
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varun_HexaGuy View Post
Hi sir,
The sound which you're referring to the transmission noise is the sound of the turbo actually. You'll get this sound of the turbocharger once the engine crosses or touches 2000 rpm. If this isn't the case, get the car checked at your nearest TASS.

Varun
Turbo noise should be like a whistle.. Thus is like a flapping rubber and comes only during gear shift
Old 20th September 2017, 10:14   #3012
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by P21 View Post

Meanwhile we had discussions with both Sales and Service advisers. After negotiating, below is the revised price. These guys are yet to confirm exact reduction in Insurance, Handling and Logistics charges.
Congratulations.
I still feel you have some scope for negotiations. For example, Insurance can be brought down to 55-56k, if done from dealership and around 50k if done independently.
Logistics and Handling charges can be reduced to zero.
And try to push for some more discounts, in addition to 5k corporate discount, as you have booked the car pre cess hike.

Also, some dealers in Bangalore may have pre-cess stock of XT, which they might agree to give at discounted prices. Just try to call any of the dealership namely KHT, Aadya, Concorde or Prerana.

And typically all dealerships will give 10% discount on accessories.
prasanna_indaje is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2017, 11:38   #3013
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Turbo noise should be like a whistle.. Thus is like a flapping rubber and comes only during gear shift
Do you mean the gargling noise you are talking about ???

This is there on all the Hexa's and Tata is working on it to find a solution as of now we need to enjoy the drive.
Old 20th September 2017, 12:48   #3014
BHPian

Quote:
XTA Transmission noises

thanks
Srinivas
I have this as well. It sounds like a roughness in the gear, but the noise seems to come from the right side front of the vehicle. Since the transmission is not there, and the turbo is, I am currently attributing this to the turbo lag gargle that everyone is talking about.

This issue has been talked about a lot and we have also met with TML's Karl Heinz regarding this on our visit to the plant this Monday. They are looking into it but there is no solution as of now.
Old 20th September 2017, 12:51   #3015
BHPian

Quote:
XTA Transmission noises

thanks
Srinivas
Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi7013 View Post
I guess you are referring to the turbo noise which you get when the fins close after you lift your feet off the A pedal.
Its like a metal rubbing against another, or what we term it as the famous "engine gargle'. If that's the case, then it's pretty normal. If not, maybe other XTA owners can help!
Check this - - If its the same noise, you dont have to worry per TATA.

Most Viewed