Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 9th October 2017, 17:30   #3121
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tata Hexa : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kishen.padiyar View Post
Bangalore Hexians had their 4th breakfast meet yesterday. There was good participation with around 15 cars - to an extent we ran of of parking space at the venue

Below are few pictures of the meet.
Pramod, i am missing in the group picture and yes it was good turnout from the Banaglore Hexa Group to the meet...

The Pearl White Hexa's along with the Grey are rare to be seen and the Blue are all over the roads.
Old 9th October 2017, 20:46   #3122
Distinguished - BHPian

Tata Hexa Limited Edition coming soon. To be offered in an exclusive Brown shade.

More details awaited.
RavenAvi is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 9th October 2017, 21:45   #3123
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_mechengg View Post
All cars have rust on these mentioned parts. Check any damn car.

TASS should have handled this properly.
Probably the first car this person has bought. Don't doubt my word, I have personally talked to a man whose first car is a Hexa XT.

Additionally he has mentioned "Noise while gear transmission"; well, I am damn sure that he is either talking about the turbocharger fins noise or this one:

If it's the noise of fins then Tata A.S.S. should have tried to educate the customer and if it's second one then it is also well rectifiable and one such case has already been discussed on the forum here.
Old 10th October 2017, 11:08   #3124
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VKumar View Post
Probably the first car this person has bought. Don't doubt my word, I have personally talked to a man whose first car is a Hexa XT.

Additionally he has mentioned "Noise while gear transmission"; well, I am damn sure that he is either talking about the turbocharger fins noise or this one:

If it's the noise of fins then Tata A.S.S. should have tried to educate the customer and if it's second one then it is also well rectifiable and one such case has already been discussed on the forum here.
It would be interesting to know what the sound you hear is - at 0:39, 0:46, 1:10 etc., its sounds like the car going over an uneven / misaligned flyover slabs. A 'flappy' sound. I too get this sound. Its definitely not the turbo. Turbo should sound like a whine or whistle.

Specifically, I think this noise comes when the gear change happens in AUTO mode, and the engine speed is perhaps lower than the ideal.

Engine gargle or grunting kind of sound is 'gruff' and typically heard on acceleration.

----------
Bangalore Hexa XTA owners:

If you typically drive on the Outer Ring Road during 'office' hours, what is the average Fuel efficiency you get - both on the MID and using the tankful method.

This is a city traffic only driving cycle and does not include highway or expressway driving.

thanks
Srinivas

Last edited by Eddy : 10th October 2017 at 11:12.
Old 10th October 2017, 13:03   #3125
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smsrini View Post
It would be interesting to know what the sound you hear is - at 0:39, 0:46, 1:10 etc., its sounds like the car going over an uneven / misaligned flyover slabs. A 'flappy' sound. I too get this sound. Its definitely not the turbo. Turbo should sound like a whine or whistle.
Yes, the turbo has to sound like a whistle and it does too.
However, the sound heard here is also from the turbo. It's the VGT valves opening/closing as explained by the personnel and is pretty normal with no effect on performance. It's present in every Hexa out there. Not sure if this can be completely resolved by TATA but I'm beginning to like the sound!
abhi7013 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th October 2017, 15:46   #3126
BHPian

Quote:
This is the standard turbo noise in all Hexas. Like a brushing noise. Tata hasn't resolved it yet.

I don't do Outer Ring Road route but only city traffic, my MID usually shows 8.1 to 8.4. Haven't done a ra full approach yet.

Last edited by GTO : 10th October 2017 at 16:53. Reason: Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting a full, long post inconveniences our mobile readers. Thanks!
KK RE Lover is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2017, 16:22   #3127
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
Tata Hexa Limited Edition coming soon. To be offered in an exclusive Brown shade.
From one of my sources who wishes to remain anonymous:

Tata Hexa : Official Review-1w.jpg

Tata Hexa : Official Review-2w.jpg

Last edited by RavenAvi : 10th October 2017 at 16:32. Reason: watermarked images.
RavenAvi is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 10th October 2017, 16:38   #3128
Senior - BHPian

whether it comes in existing Models or any new model (XZ) is on the cards with additional and upgraded features like start stop button, Bigger touch screen and Sun roof.
Any pointers would be helpful
Old 10th October 2017, 17:16   #3129
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi7013 View Post
However, the sound heard here is also from the turbo. It's the VGT valves opening/closing as explained by the personnel and is pretty normal with no effect on performance. It's present in every Hexa out there. Not sure if this can be completely resolved by TATA but I'm beginning to like the sound!
I somehow dont buy this explanation. The VGT valve opening is it tied to the gear change ? Why does it not come when you accelerate hard or use the sports mode ? ( in my case ).

I think its to do with the transmission rather than the VGT. If its VGT, the Storme 400 should also have this issue.
Old 10th October 2017, 17:21   #3130
Team-BHP Support

Is that a roof wrap, or just a reflection - or anyone else wants to hope against hope that there is a panoramic sunroof coming up?

Tata Hexa : Official Review-img_20171010_171940.jpg

Anyways, more realistically - I'm guessing it's the start of production of the new top end XTA AWD.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 10th October 2017 at 17:24.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 10th October 2017, 18:07   #3131
BHPian

Quote:
I somehow dont buy this explanation. The VGT valve opening is it tied to the gear change ? Why does it not come when you accelerate hard or use the sports mode ? ( in my case ).

I think its to do with the transmission rather than the VGT. If its VGT, the Storme 400 should also have this issue.
It does come when you let your foot off the accelerator and is not related to gear changes. Its easy to get confused as you do let go of the A pedal while shifting gears.
Believe me, this is the only explanation there is and there's no point going down that road again as most of us have thoroughly explored it and are waiting for a solution, though it doesn't hamper performance.
From what i hear, TATA have resolved it but it takes a hit on the torque. They are still exploring but i would never go ahead and get the noise rectified if it means loosing out on power!
abhi7013 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2017, 20:09   #3132
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aks_karthik View Post
whether it comes in existing Models or any new model (XZ) is on the cards with additional and upgraded features like start stop button, Bigger touch screen and Sun roof.
Any pointers would be helpful
Existing models. No new variant on the cards.

The new colour shade will most likely be offered in all variants except the base XE.

In addition, there will be new OEM accessories on offer, possibly as full kits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Is that a roof wrap, or just a reflection - or anyone else wants to hope against hope that there is a panoramic sunroof coming up?

Anyways, more realistically - I'm guessing it's the start of production of the new top end XTA AWD.
No roof wrap. Just the photographic effect.

Production of the AWD AT variant hasn't commenced yet. We shall have a clearer picture on this after the Diwali weekend is over.
RavenAvi is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 10th October 2017, 22:46   #3133
BANNED

Quote:
Yes Srini, that rubbing type sound is indeed not the turbo (or normal sound from the turbo, if it is from) and is something else. Mr. Manoj Rai (the person mentioned in the link in quoted post) had exactly same issue. Initially A.S.S. guys didn't do any help to him but later when Tata tech team inspected the car, they clearly mentioned that this is not the turbocharger.

Around a month later, Tata tech team returned back with some more tunes and they finally got his car running without this sound after an extensive testing with some minor software changes (yeah, they repaired his car with a laptop). So, I believe that Tata guys are well aware of what issue your car is having and you can get in touch with A.S.S. The sound in question is indeed annoying and definitely not normal.

Quote:
Engine gargle or grunting kind of sound is 'gruff' and typically heard on acceleration.
Agree on this point, I have extensively driven Hexa AT and MT, I am yet to hear that rubbing like sound in any Hexa I have put my hands on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi7013 View Post
Abhi, the sound in the video is different from the one you are talking about. BTW, how many other cars have such a sound? I have driven numerous cars with VGT and I really don't recall any other car in which valves do open or close so loudly. Anyhow, that's not the point of discussion, the main point is that when Tata guys inspected the car of Mr. Manoj Rai, they declared the sound in the video as an 'abnormal' one and diagnosed his car for the same. Rest, I believe that the tech team of Tata is definitely more aware of their car than we people are.
VKumar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th October 2017, 10:08   #3134
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VKumar View Post

Abhi, the sound in the video is different from the one you are talking about. BTW, how many other cars have such a sound? I have driven numerous cars with VGT and I really don't recall any other car in which valves do open or close so loudly. Anyhow, that's not the point of discussion, the main point is that when Tata guys inspected the car of Mr. Manoj Rai, they declared the sound in the video as an 'abnormal' one and diagnosed his car for the same. Rest, I believe that the tech team of Tata is definitely more aware of their car than we people are.
Almost every owner in our group has this common issue and even TASS has said it is very much normal.
However, if the sound is completely vanished without any effect on performance, then that's great. It would help if you could guide us to the owner.

However, AFAIK, the news in our groups was that torque would reduce a bit. Will await your reply and update fellow owners too. Thank you.
Old 11th October 2017, 10:50   #3135
BHPian

Tata Hexa : Official Review-img_20171006_135035min.jpg

Tata Hexa : Official Review-img_20171006_135052min.jpg

Saw this abandoned brand new Hexa on the side of the road, in front of Tata showroom near Crown Plaza, SG Highway, Ahmedabad.

The owner must have had extremely unpleasant experience with the vehicle or buying process.

The banner on the car reads, "We got cheated by Tata, hopefully you guys won't. The vehicle is a trash can"

Off Topic:
No wonder, I don't see many Tata cars on the road in Ahmedabad (Tiago included!!). I visited Tata showroom before my purchase of Brezza to check out Zest AMT after reading positive reviews of the vehicle. I wasn't offered demo/brochure/test ride (or not even water in the middle of a summer afternoon!). I had to walk out of the showroom within 5 mins as they had nothing to offer.
bhavik.1991 is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed