Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 12th October 2017, 17:10   #3196
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tata Hexa : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by prakash_ajp View Post
But it can't be denied that with a different kind of mindset towards buying cars, we would be seeing lot more interesting vehicles on our road. And for that, I hate to be living in this country.
The only thing that now drives the market in India is customer choice and ability to pay the price demanded for the features offered/desired. Anyone that does not do that, will not have a long term presence in the market. No company can offer an interesting car that does not interest buyers.

Customer mindsets towards the cars they buy is dictated by the environment in which they will have to drive the car. The car has to suit the road conditions it will encounter in the congested cities and on often poorly maintained highways. Fuel prices are among the highest in the world in absolute terms, and this is compounded by lower salaries in relation to prosperous countries. So km/litre will always rule for a long time. Most people in India that buy a car, buy it as an appliance. That is the nature of the market. They don't care if the engine is an old design, as long as it meets their needs better than a more interesting one does.

Enthusiasts that can use interesting cars inspite of the road and other Indian environmental challenges will always have someone offering them what they want, but this won't come cheap because it will not garner volumes. Almost every car made in the world can be legally bought here now, if you have the money to buy it.

Take the Hexa example - it is certainly an interesting car. Will it garner volumes? Doubtful. Will the volumes it garners meet Tata expectations? Again, doubtful, but less certainly so.

What changes in buyer culture is needed for that to change, for Hexa to sell like Innova as one example?
Old 12th October 2017, 17:15   #3197
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
I used it twice in my Crysta and did not notice any significant difference compared to regular fuel. I remember Fifth gear testing these so called "Posh" fuels and found out that car had maximum power in Dyno test when Shell V Power petrol was used. Not sure why you avoid Shell diesel as I find them as good as others. Only disadvantage with Shell is you don't get 0.75% rebate when you use your debit/credit card.
I remember the service personnel asking me to avoid Shell diesel as it has a component in a higher percentage than the other brands which may not be good. Even he could not remember the name of that element, but that statement was enough to make my dad stay away from Shell diesel.
May not be true too, hence checking with folks who have been using it.
Its sad that 0.75% rebate is not applicable!

@SaNdY_AR that's decent mileage for Hexa in such traffic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
What changes in buyer culture is needed for that to change, for Hexa to sell like Innova as one example?
The only thing to change for Hexa to sell like Innova is a nod from TATA for commercial registrations!

Anyway, on a serious note, yes, in our country, as long as something meets requirements, most of them will not break their heads in figuring out what ticks underneath. Which is a shame as this is a serious hindrance to innovation and advancement. Still though, it is commendable, the level of technology that's being used in cars today.

Only if we folks start questioning and exploring and demanding from manufacturers, will products improve and smoothly help shift to the next big thing: the EVs.

Last edited by aah78 : 12th October 2017 at 19:27. Reason: Posts merged. Please use QUOTE+/MULTI-QUOTE when responding to multiple posts. Thanks!
Old 12th October 2017, 17:27   #3198
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi7013 View Post

Just an attempt at bringing back things on course, can anyone give a feedback of the new shell diesel power on the Hexa's performance?
Am skeptical about using shell diesel as most of the folks avoid it, but i honestly don't know why!
Tried it once, and did not find any change. Will not go for it. They sell vpower diesel to you mentioning a discount on the price, but then don't mention that the discount is on other purchases at the kiosk.
Old 12th October 2017, 17:39   #3199
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The only thing to change for Hexa to sell like Innova is a nod from TATA for commercial registrations!
That isn't a buyer culture change matter, and I am surprised that Tata will sacrifice top line by not allowing this; why does it make sense to not allow use in the taxi trade? I don't even know that this is the case, by the way.
Old 12th October 2017, 17:46   #3200
BHPian

Quote:
That isn't a buyer culture change matter, and I am surprised that Tata will sacrifice top line by not allowing this; why does it make sense to not allow use in the taxi trade? I don't even know that this is the case, by the way.
Trust me, I've spoken to a friend who's in this line of business. He's been to prerana motors five times in the last month and the manager there has been saying the same story that he told me when i asked him: TATA has not yet approved sales for commercial segment and the dealers will not be going to the RTO for such registrations.
This car has indeed generated lots of interest is what i could gather from him.

If anyone here has more information, do share as even we owners are interested in knowing further on this. Can such a step be taken by a brand and its dealership?

Last edited by abhi7013 : 12th October 2017 at 17:48.
Old 12th October 2017, 17:53   #3201
Senior - BHPian

I doubt there is anything that stops a company from doing this; I just can't understand the commercial sense/thinking behind doing it.

Even Mercedes sells cars to be used as taxis. In fact, a taxi trade preference for any car should be seen as an endorsement.

The only reason that makes commercial sense could be a backlog of undelivered orders.
Sawyer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2017, 18:11   #3202
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Trust me, I've spoken to a friend who's in this line of business. He's been to prerana motors five times in the last month and the manager there has been saying the same story that he told me when i asked him: TATA has not yet approved sales for commercial segment and the dealers will not be going to the RTO for such registrations.
This car has indeed generated lots of interest is what i could gather from him.

If anyone here has more information, do share as even we owners are interested in knowing further on this. Can such a step be taken by a brand and its dealership?
Your friend can buy the car and carry out the commerical registration himself, can't he? I understood that Tata can only prevent their own dealers from carrying out commerical registrations, right?
Old 12th October 2017, 18:21   #3203
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I doubt there is anything that stops a company from doing this; I just can't understand the commercial sense/thinking behind doing it.
They are right. TATA is trying to restrict commercial sales as it lost customers due to taxi image in the past. Commercial sales are now less than 10% of overall TATA Motors sales.

https://www.team-bhp.com/news/cabbie...atas-car-sales

It is a conscious and bold move and seems to be working to change the mass market mentality. I'm yet to see any new generation TATA cars as cabs, post the Zest and Bolt era.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 12th October 2017 at 18:23.
Old 12th October 2017, 18:33   #3204
BHPian

Quote:
For starters, at least half the population buy the car for enjoyment rather than as an investment? People start enjoying their plush upholstery of their car rather than keep the plastic sheets, so they can keep it cleaner and get a better resale on their car?

I think we have drifted from the main topic already.
Old 12th October 2017, 18:35   #3205
Senior - BHPian

At a time when TML is desperately seeking volumes, I can't see them restrict sales to any market that makes legal use of its cars. It makes no commercial sense.

Innova costs about 50% more than the most expensive Tata car, and has not suffered one jot by sales to the taxi trade. Neither did the Dzire.

The taxi trade adopted the older Tata cars because they were rugged and cheap and the taxi trade wasn't too bothered if things like door handles fell off, as an example. The very things that private owners did not like happening in their cars.

Why should I not drive any car merely because Uber/Ola also drive it, if it otherwise suits me?

I can think of only one reason - if the volumes impact after sales experience. But that is something that TML will have to look at anyway, if their volume dreams are to be realised and sustained.
Old 12th October 2017, 18:41   #3206
BHPian

Quote:

Even Mercedes sells cars to be used as taxis. In fact, a taxi trade preference for any car should be seen as an endorsement.

The only reason that makes commercial sense could be a backlog of undelivered orders.
It depends on how each one perceives it. You just cannot compare TATA with Merc when it comes to commercial use. Brand image of Merc is very different than the struggling one of TATA.

And if you ask me, only a few people would consider it as an endorsement if a car is used mostly by the taxi segment.
And i would never like to see the Hexa in a yellow board and so do many others! Sales figures is not everything to judge a car's success and apparently, TML is sacrificing a large portion of their profit by doing so. There has to be a strong data-driven reason behind it for such a decision.
abhi7013 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th October 2017, 20:22   #3207
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
And i would never like to see the Hexa in a yellow board and so do many others!
A curious statement: why exactly?
Old 12th October 2017, 22:02   #3208
BHPian

I think Tata is right in restricting Hexa to commercial market. Surprisingly the "taxi" image just sticks to Tata cars though Toyota, MS and Hyundai have been one of the largest sellers in that market. One doesnt blink an eyelid getting into any one of these but oh a Tata... its taxi sticks... remember Indica and Indigo cars. So I guess Tata is trying to maintain exclusivity nd move up the value chain
Palio_2005 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th October 2017, 22:16   #3209
BHPian

The reality of the abandoned Hexa of Ahmedabad. Did Tata really deserve this? How many people would have put their sweat and time into this amazing product?!
vinodvayyat is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th October 2017, 22:35   #3210
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinodvayyat View Post
The reality of the abandoned Hexa of Ahmedabad. Did Tata really deserve this? How many people would have put their sweat and time into this amazing product?!
I feel extremely sad to see a customer spend more on hiring a tow truck, calling the media and creating a circus for absolutely no legitimate complaint than he would on selling the car to someone who does not have a problem owning it, and buying the favorite competitor. I may be ridiculed for saying this, but it seems like a completely well-designed plot by competitors to ruin the Hexa. I'm saying this because the customer has no legitimate complaint and going by the way he spoke on TV, it looked extremely staged. Sad to see this happening in Ahmedabad, a city that I thought promoted Indian manufacturing and where people put ethics first.

When the Nano caught fire, Tata had engaged a company to analyze the root cause. They found that there was nothing wrong with the overall design of the product. In fact, a foreign object had been inserted into the car's exhaust to make it catch fire. I'm sure that competitors are having a field day- yes, the Hexa is not selling as much as the XUV (despite being a much better product), but it is the greatest threat that the XUV has.

Anyway, if he is indeed a genuine customer, I hope he stays happy with whatever he buys next. The best way for Tata to end this circus would be to buy his car back.
Nissan1180 is online now   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed