Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 14th October 2017, 19:09   #3226
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Tata Hexa : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptushar View Post
Folks, a question. What is more practical for Indian roads? The 19" wheels of the XTA or the 16" wheels of the XMA? What would give a better ride quality
It is undoubtedly the 16 inch rims clubbed with higher profile tyres that provide better ride quality. Except for aesthetics, there is no other reason to go for the 19 inch rims.

Durability on Indian roads will be an added bonus for you. The 16 inch rims will improve the Hexa's already supple ride.
vishy76 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2017, 19:13   #3227
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Folks, a question. What is more practical for Indian roads? The 19" wheels of the XTA or the 16" wheels of the XMA? What would give a better ride quality
16", no doubt about it. 19" is great for looks and aesthetics but is not the most practical option for a vehicle of this kind which will be used in typical Indian comditions. 16" will provide better ride, a more robust sidewall and will be a lot cheaper to replace. Additionally, you will get a good variety of HT and AT tires to choose from. Choice is very limited in 19".
Shreyans_Jain is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 14th October 2017, 20:00   #3228
BHPian

Quote:
My pick from the two would be the 16-inchers offered on the mid XMA/XM trim.

I, personally have the 19-inchers on my XTA and I've already experienced a sidewall cut on my Hexa under 1,200 kms partly due to my brother's ignorance but our every other car's sidewall used to rub off with the same kerb but never was the sidewall ruptured and this had happened only with the Hexa.

Considering our Indian road conditions, I would've loved to have the 16-inchers on my beast for obvious reasons and I've heard some good words from the XM/XMA trim owners about the even-more improved ride quality and the 16-inchers are more abuse friendly vis-a-vis the 19-inchers and when the time will come to replace, the 16-inchers again will be a lot cheaper to replace over the 19-inchers and the sheer varieties available doesn't need a mention which exactly can't be said for the 19-inchers. Apart from aesthetics, the 19-inchers donot have any advantage vis-a-vis the 16-inchers.

OT : If you're thinking this to be one of the reasons to rule out the XTA over XMA, then it's a no-brainer. My pick would be the XTA over the XMA any day for obvious reasons.

Thanks,
Varun

Last edited by Varun_HexaGuy : 14th October 2017 at 20:04. Reason: Adding a point :)
Varun_HexaGuy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th October 2017, 21:33   #3229
BHPian

Quote:
19" is already a comfortable ride and it makes the vehicle look premium. You can go for 16" if you want more comfort or if you want to do lot of off-roading that the 4x2 is capable of. Otherwise, no need to worry on 19".
vinodvayyat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2017, 21:37   #3230
BHPian

Today was my third test drive of Hexa XTA. Had decided to book one today after the test drive and getting a valuation of my current car - Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 TDI 2011 model.
However, came back without booking due to following reasons -
1. There is a noticeable vibration in the car during idling. Particularly on the steering wheel but felt throughout the car. Checked with the sales advisor if it was an issue with that specific test drive vehicle. He said it was normal. This vibration is not felt when the vehicle is moving. However during idling it very much noticeable and kind of a deal breaker for me.
2. The door handle of the showroom display car is very flimsy. Also the roof panels. Although the fit and finish looks fine now ( cannot be compared to VW/ Skoda), I'm very much worried about how well this car will age. Will rattling issues start after 1-2 years? 7 years with a Skoda has spoilt me w.r.t fit and finish and can't tolerate anything less.
3. Valuation of my existing car was very low. Only 3 lacs offered when online car valuation websites shows 4.3- 5 lacs based on car condition.

It would be great if any existing XTA owner can comment on the first two points mentioned above.
Old 15th October 2017, 08:14   #3231
BHPian

Finally the wait is over. Took delivery of my Tungsten Silver XTA a couple of days ago. Enjoying the car so far (ODO is still under 100 kms)
Few observations :
1. The car is very silent from inside. (For a diesel)
2. There is no harshness or vibration. (But, the sound being referred as 'Gargle' seems to be there)
3. Sports Mode -

And the delivery experience was one of the best I ever had. It was flawless, well executed and had right amount of personal touch (Cake, flowers, chocolates and the whole staff came out to see us drive out). Personal touch may seem to be a bit childish, but, I feel it was a great gesture (compared to my NEXA experience last year)

I am upgrading from a SCross 1.6.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambydude View Post
It would be great if any existing XTA owner can comment on the first two points mentioned above.
May be too early into the ownership, below are my comments:
1. I too have felt some minute vibrations in the test drive vehicle. However, my car doesn't have any. I feel overall cabin feel and NVH is better than my earlier SCross 1.6.
2. Door knobs feel flimsy. Would have preferred the traditional approach where inner handles and knobs are placed together.

And on your third point, there is only one suggestion from my end - Sell it outside.
prasanna_indaje is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 15th October 2017, 09:03   #3232
BANNED

Quote:
Today was my third test drive of Hexa XTA.
1. Vibration at idling is very much there .This increases when the fan also switches on .I am not sure which fan as it could be Radiator fan or Condenser fan .We did talk to Tata about it and said it is normal and in future they will be taking care of it .On the positive side once past idle rpm you will find Hexa is very quiet Inside even on bad roads .Only on high speed over 120kmph you will start hearing road noise from tyres and engine noise .
2. We have done about 5000kms in XTA on all kinds of roads .The only issue we faced is the panel below steering popped open from one side .Everything else is like first day .We are confident we will not be facing any rattling issues as everything feels sturdy and well put together for the price .

Last edited by Trust_In_Thrust : 15th October 2017 at 09:09.
Trust_In_Thrust is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th October 2017, 09:10   #3233
BHPian

1. There is a noticeable vibration in the car during idling. Particularly on the steering wheel but felt throughout the car. Checked with the sales advisor if it was an issue with that specific test drive vehicle. He said it was normal. This vibration is not felt when the vehicle is moving. However during idling it very much noticeable and kind of a deal breaker for me.

All big diesels vibrate a little, it is more pronounced when you are in Drive mode and stationary. Please check the XUV 5oo and Innova Crysta automatic and you will be surprised that they vibrate much more than the Hexa. The NVH of XUV 5oo and Crysta are also high compared to the Hexa. As you have mentioned correctly there will be no vibration when the vehicle is moving.

I have a Honda accord automatic and even it vibrates when it is in N or D mode. On the move it does not. So it is the nature of the Torque convertor automatics. According to me, you must not be worried.

2. The door handle of the showroom display car is very flimsy. Also the roof panels. Although the fit and finish looks fine now ( cannot be compared to VW/ Skoda), I'm very much worried about how well this car will age. Will rattling issues start after 1-2 years? 7 years with a Skoda has spoilt me w.r.t fit and finish and can't tolerate anything less.

My car is from the first batch. I bought it in Feb and I have completed 15K kms. Till now it has been a very pleasent experience. There is absolutely no rattling till date. As per me, Hexa is a fantastic product from Tata and they have not compromised on quality. I found cost cutting very evident on the Crystra.

1. No bonnet sturts - Lifting such a huge bonnet is a task in itself
2. Open the bonnet and you see the radiatior is not properly covered. It looks odd. Pictures attached
3. No tools tray - It is wrapped in a bag which is similar to the ones provided my scooter
4. No all round disc brake - I feel that it is a must for such a big vehicle
5. Most of the bulbs are normal halogens and not LED's. Not acceptable for a vehicle which cost 20+ lacs
6. Automatic hazard lights on accident + emergency brakes is missing in the crysta
7. Lane change indicator, follow me home lights & Heated OVRM'
8. Parking locator. Press the lock and unlock button together, the car will start honking and harzard light will start blinking. Small, but a nice feature
9. Build quality of Innova feels very much Japanese. Tata Hexa feels european in its build. Recently I had been to the Audi A5 launch. There I asked a Person from Audi Germany, as to why the Q3,5 and 7 have huge central tunnels. He told that Central tunnels gives the required strength to the chassis. Even in Hexa the central tunnel is huge. This shows that Tata has not compromised on safety or Quality.

Imagine how Toyota is fleecing their customers. They introduce all black interiors, alloys and plastic cladding in their limited edition and charge 1.1 lac extra. In Hexa all black interiors, machined alloys and platic cladding come as default. For me, it is hard to justify the extra 7 lacs they are asking over the Tata Hexa.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Hexa : Official Review-comparo.jpg  

power_slave77 is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 15th October 2017, 11:20   #3234
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by power_slave77 View Post

Imagine how Toyota is fleecing their customers. They introduce all black interiors, alloys and plastic cladding in their limited edition and charge 1.1 lac extra. In Hexa all black interiors, machined alloys and platic cladding come as default. For me, it is hard to justify the extra 7 lacs they are asking over the Tata Hexa.
Looking at the bonnet images attached, since the radiator area is well covered as opposed to Crysta, it looks small and cramped.
But if you look at it closely, Crysta's is way more cramped unlike mentioned in most reviews!
abhi7013 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th October 2017, 18:20   #3235
Distinguished - BHPian

Folks, any idea of when the TATA HEXA 4X4 Auto will be launched? It is surprising that TATA is taking so long to launch this. Competitors are flooding the market with 4WD Auto offerings, with the Tucson 4WD Auto, Tiguan 4WD Auto and the Kodiaq 4WD Auto being recently launched and XUV already in the market. I think there is entire segment of customers who want the comfort of Auto transmission, while knowing that they have go-anywhere capability when needed.

With its generally competitive pricing, HEXA could take a good slice of this market. I was doing an analysis of the HEXA pricing ex-showroom Chennai. The difference between an XT 4X2 and an XT 4X4 (manual versions) is 1.22 Lakhs. So, assuming the existing Auto transmission and 4WD systems can be deployed into a AWD 4X4 variant, once can envision the XTA 4X4 Auto being launched at 1.22 Lacs over the XTA Auto, i.e., at 18.3 Lacs ex-showroom. At that price point, it would be a great bargain over any of the similarly sized 4X4 Autos in the market. But the critical assumption here is that the existing Auto Transmission and 4WD system cab be mated to each other. Tried to do some on-line research about this.

We all know the Hexa uses the 6L50 automatic transmission from Punch Powerglide. I did a bit of research on this and it appears that the transmission is compatible with both Rear Wheel Drive and All Wheel Drive vehicles.

https://www.punchpowerglide.com/en/transmissions

What is interesting is that the transmission can handle much higher power and torque, based on the specification sheet, the 6L50 can handle nearly 250 HP of power and 550 NM of torque in diesel vehicle applications! So, I think it will be quite unstressed while mated to the TATA Varicor engine and should be able to give long life.

The HEXA Manual 4X4 uses the Borg Warner Torque on Demand (TOD) transfer case for enabling 4WD. This transfer case seems to be quite established in the market and has been proven in Automatic Transmission applications as well. It seems to be very capable, with 4WD Low mode, able to send up to 50% torque to the front wheels.

Now the question is the compatibility of the transmission and the 4WD system (6L50 with TOD), ensure they can be spatially integrated in the HEXA and the testing required. I was not able to find out if there are other vehicles where these two have been successfully integrated anywhere else in the world. In terms of timing of launch readiness, it would be one thing if TATA is able to use these two systems in the HEXA 4WD AT, quite another if there is any compatibility issue and TATA has to source a new 4WD system.

TATA has a great opportunity here to be first in market before Mahindra brings the new Rexton 4X4 Auto.

Last edited by 84.monsoon : 15th October 2017 at 18:25.
84.monsoon is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 15th October 2017, 21:10   #3236
BHPian

Quote:
1. There is a noticeable vibration in the car during idling.
2. The door handle of the showroom display car is very flimsy.
3. Valuation of my existing car was very low. Only 3 lacs offered when online car valuation websites.
I started owning Hexa for the last two days only - bought along with Prasanna (posted above). Let me give my two cents.
  • In a test car, there are many things that can go amess, though I agree that the dealer should maintain the car well. For example, the engine mount might have got a damage - will transfer vibrations to the vehicle. Probably, other owners who have used the car for longer durations can comment.
  • I'm not sure if calling door handles flimsy is accurate - but I agree that it may not match the quality of VW or Skoda or any other European car. I don't remember any other owners complaining about strength of the door handles. What I have not liked is the door lock knobs - it is weirdly shaped and patterned.
  • The forte of any Tata car so far has been the way they give value to function and utility over luxury - but this time with Hexa, they have in fact has gone a little extra mile to get its customers more luxury. Trust me, it is very evident in terms of its well finished interiors etc.
  • At 20-21 Lakhs, currently there is no other car out there which offers this much utility which can give you this much ride height (you will see folks in Fortune, Endeavor eye-to-eye), you will look down on Innova, XUV (not literally ).
  • Lot of attention to details - the bonnet is integrated to the central locking system - it blips the horn when you try to lock with bonnet opened. If the rear passengers try to get out after you lock the car, it will blow horn continuously with hazard lights on - the list goes on. The fuel lid is integrated to central locking.

So I don't doubt on the package Tata gives you for the price. There might be few factors on which you find the product less exciting than the established European or Japanese manufacturers, but it trumps the same set on many other fronts. If you value that, please book a Hexa right away

Last edited by vinodvayyat : 15th October 2017 at 21:15.
vinodvayyat is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 16th October 2017, 09:55   #3237
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varun_HexaGuy View Post
OT : If you're thinking this to be one of the reasons to rule out the XTA over XMA, then it's a no-brainer. My pick would be the XTA over the XMA any day for obvious reasons.
The only reasons why the XTA is more appealing to me is the six air bags. Everything else I can live without, between the XTA and the XMA. E.g. The cruise control, the DRL and the upholstery are all features that I am okay not to have.

Is it even possible to replace the stock 19" alloys with 16" or 17" alloys in the XTA? And can I do this without violating any warranty clause? If that's possible then the XTA would make a compelling package. Otherwise the XMA saves me ~3L.
Old 16th October 2017, 10:05   #3238
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by power_slave77 View Post
Imagine how Toyota is fleecing their customers.
People dont' mind paying the 5 lakhs extra for Toyota (5 Lakhs is the difference in Tamil Nadu between Top End Auto Hexa/Crysta). You may call it fleecing, but some of us call it peace of mind. I evaluated both and finally got *fleeced* and picked up a Crysta 2.8 Z. I have elaborated the reasons which disappointed me about the Hexa earlier in this thread. For many of us who can afford vehicles, the extra 5 lakhs is not a problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
Folks, any idea of when the TATA HEXA 4X4 Auto will be launched?

TATA has a great opportunity here to be first in market before Mahindra brings the new Rexton 4X4 Auto.
During the pro event in Chennai, I asked a senior engineer from TML and he told met that there is absolutely no plans of making a 4x4 Auto version. To me, this would have been the biggest advantage the Hexa would have over the Crysta. But Tata decided it was not worth it. This is the difference between Tata & Mahindra.
4x4addict is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th October 2017, 10:51   #3239
BHPian

Quote:
You may call it fleecing, but some of us call it peace of mind.
Agreed. Every person has his/her own views

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
I recently went with a friend who wanted to check out the Hexa. He was interested in the top end automatic (XTA). I knew earlier that the ride modes were deleted in the Automatic, but I was really astonished to find that they have deleted Vehicle Skid Protection, Traction Control and Hill Hold Feature from the top end automatic.

I am sure buyers always justify their decisions, but to me deleting Traction Control and ESP from your top end model is totally foolish on Tata's part.
I was curious to know the reasons for your disappointment. So was going through your earlier post. Agree, skipping ESP is not acceptable, had to accept it with a pinch of salt. But Hill Hold feature is available in the automatic variant of the Hexa.

Last edited by ajmat : 17th October 2017 at 08:10.
Old 16th October 2017, 12:40   #3240
Distinguished - BHPian

How is the Clutch on Hexa MT? Is it Heavy and hard or Smooth and light?

For me absence of ESP and 4x4 on AT is the biggest bummer. I am eagerly waiting for AWD 4x4 with ESP. If Tata disappoints , then we might have to consider the MT only.

Last edited by sagarpadaki : 16th October 2017 at 12:42.

Most Viewed