Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 31st January 2018, 21:00   #3706
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibin View Post
Did he change his tyres during this run? HOw about brake pad replacements?
Just had a quick call with my friend and he confirmed that apart from usual servicing nothing has been done / spent on the car.
Tyres are in good condition and won't need replacement anytime soon.
I think I should do a small Q&A video with him and his car.
There are lot many out there who wants know more about this brilliant beast.
DriveOnceMore is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2018, 13:55   #3707

Re: Tata Hexa : Official Review

Guys need a little help from people in bangalore. I am in bangalore (Kempegowda) at the moment. My Hexa will be completing 5000kms soon. Request you guys to advise me where shall I get the first service done. Someone suggested prerna and concorde motors. I also saw Aadya motors near the place where I am staying. Kindly advice which one is trustworthy since I will be driving again from bangalore to dehradun soon.
Old 2nd February 2018, 14:58   #3708
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveOnceMore View Post
Good news for those who want to TEST the Hexa before buying.
Zoomcar now has Hexa listed on their site (at least in Pune).
Being a self driven rented car, it will surely be exposed to absurd usage a lot.
KK travels in Pune has a fleet of 70 Aria's which has same components and powertrain of the base hexa XE. Many of them have done 4.5 Lakh km, and most drivers say that once initial issues were ironed out by third free service vehicle has been trouble free.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torquedo View Post
Failure 1 - When my Wiper Motor conked off at 1K Kms, it was replaced but left a very bad taste, had I been at a location beyond the A$$ of TML, this would have left me stranded in the rains.
Two of my friends have received a free wiper motor replacement during service, with Concord advisor showing list of chassis nos issued to them from Tata whose wiper morors are likely to have issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
Modern day Automatics are equally efficient as Manuals.
In Hexa both are 6 speed.
Which is more Fuel Efficient?
Automatics are inherently less effecient than manuals, but as engine and vehicle size grows the difference in effeciency is less. A below 1 Lit petrol may have a 30% drop whereas a 2Lit+ diesel will have a barely 5% drop. Secondly the 6th gear ratio in automatics is taller than in manuals, so there will be a small speed range like 70 to 90 or something where automatics will be fractionally more effecient than equivalent manuals. This speeed is usually just above where the automatic is programmed to shift th highest ratio while driving with a light foot.
While crawling in traffic the torque converter will not transmit power effeciently, but once you are above the converter lockup speed effeciency difference will be negligible. In Hexa the lockup occurs at about 30kph, while in old generation 4 speed At's it is at 70 kph.

Rahul
Rahul Rao is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2018, 15:06   #3709
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by stairsin View Post
Guys need a little help from people in bangalore. I am in bangalore (Kempegowda) at the moment. My Hexa will be completing 5000kms soon. Request you guys to advise me where shall I get the first service done. Someone suggested prerna and concorde motors. I also saw Aadya motors near the place where I am staying. Kindly advice which one is trustworthy since I will be driving again from bangalore to dehradun soon.
I've had good experiences with folks from both Prerana motors and Aadya (one near manyata tech park, hebbal). Would not recommend concord though!
abhi7013 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th February 2018, 19:22   #3710
BHPian

Had my first flat tyre, took it to my friend's garage, found a big puncture in the side wall. Since my friend knew car is only 5 months old, he immediately said it must a manufacturing defect ( I was maintaining tire pressure in newly recommend range, also corroborated by the fact that other tires were in 34 to 35 psi).
Spoke to SPOC from Tata Motors and he has asked me to bring the car to service centre). Let's see how it goes. I was the one driving last two days, all in tarmac and nowhere close damaging sidewall (as in parking close to sidewalk etc).
tifosikrishna is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th February 2018, 11:18   #3711
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tifosikrishna View Post
Had my first flat tyre, took it to my friend's garage, found a big puncture in the side wall. Since my friend knew car is only 5 months old, he immediately said it must a manufacturing defect ( I was maintaining tire pressure in newly recommend range, also corroborated by the fact that other tires were in 34 to 35 psi).
Spoke to SPOC from Tata Motors and he has asked me to bring the car to service centre). Let's see how it goes. I was the one driving last two days, all in tarmac and nowhere close damaging sidewall (as in parking close to sidewalk etc).
Friends driving the XT/XTA need to be very careful regarding the tyre pressures. TPMS and a personal inflator is a must considering the 19" rims and the smaller sidewall height. Any harsh impact is going to damage the sidewall. I unfortunately faced two left alloy damages. I don't blame the tyre pressure here, as I am sure it happened due to a sharp edged and deep pothole.
naddy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2018, 13:16   #3712
BHPian

I have got the TPMS installed on my HEXA and its a must now a days until you have a factory fitted. I could not notice a puncture in my HEXA but luckily we have to stop the car for some other purpose at same time and we noticed puncture. This avoided any damage to tyre but took a lesson and I bought the TPMS immediately. They don't cost a bomb you can get good TPMS from anywhere INR 4k-7K range.
Anuruddhs is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th February 2018, 13:26   #3713
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naddy View Post
Friends driving the XT/XTA need to be very careful regarding the tyre pressures. TPMS and a personal inflator is a must considering the 19" rims and the smaller sidewall height. Any harsh impact is going to damage the sidewall. I unfortunately faced two left alloy damages. I don't blame the tyre pressure here, as I am sure it happened due to a sharp edged and deep pothole.
I maintain a low 28psi on my XTA in the interest of my troublesome back. It results in truly magic carpet ride quality. This pressure is maintained religiously and is checked every 15 days or so. I find the low speed ride gets a bit stiff at above 32psi, which is the direct effect of the small sidewalls and 19" rims.

This configuration is only for city driving for 2-3pax max. Pressure is pumped up for highway running or when the car is loaded.

Vehicle has done about 28k km now, and the tires as well as rims are holding up acceptably well considering road conditions and my driving style.
Old 8th February 2018, 13:35   #3714
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
I maintain a low 28psi on my XTA in the interest of my troublesome back. It results in truly magic carpet ride quality. This pressure is maintained religiously and is checked every 15 days or so. I find the low speed ride gets a bit stiff at above 32psi, which is the direct effect of the small sidewalls and 19" rims.

This configuration is only for city driving for 2-3pax max. Pressure is pumped up for highway running or when the car is loaded.

Vehicle has done about 28k km now, and the tires as well as rims are holding up acceptably well considering road conditions and my driving style.
In this case, I would say just be careful. Just a single instance of crossing a speed bump at slightly higher speed would transfer the stress to you alloys since the sidewalls would be almost completely squeezed out.
Believe me, changing the alloys is a time consuming and costly affair!
I didn't find the ride stiff at 35 psi front & 36 psi rear (it rises to upto 40 psi depending on the climate and length of travel) on the highways or the city. Did you get it checked with TASS if there is some other issue.
Old 8th February 2018, 14:04   #3715
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post

Low pressure can also cause the sidewall to flex and strain both while driving and standing still. Given the lower height of the sidewall, it may gradually weaken.
abhi7013 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2018, 00:30   #3716

Quote:
Originally Posted by krishnakarthik1 View Post
Sir, how is the XMA doing. What are the initial driving impressions? Could you post some pics, especially the long shot of tyres? How is the audio since it has a few speakers less. Looking forward to a review from your father.

Folks, it is one month now that I brought the Tata HEXA XMA home, from Active Automobiles (Possibly one of the best Tata dealers in Ahmedabad and I have given them a 5* rating). A short account (leaving aside what has been reported in great details in the reviews) on ownership:

The superlatives:
Interiors
1) We have chosen the color Sky Grey – the color blends extremely well with the Piano black Tail Gate Applique and so does the Ebony Black rear luggage Step Plate. The Sky grey also blends with the color of fabric on the seat upholstery – all of them accord a premium look
2) The interiors are far superior and rich in finish than what one gets an impression of, form the photographs in the brochure/website
3) The seat adjustments are smooth and reasonably jerk free

Exterior
1) The 16’’ steel wheels provide a decent look and good road presence
2) The Tail Gate closes with minimum effort and is reasonably user friendly
3) The reverse parking sensors are neatly assembled and blend well with the bumper
4) The ORVMs offer a wide and clear view.

Drive
1) Excellent road handling and ride quality
2) Fascinating acceleration – in Automatic Transmission
3) Superb braking ability
4) Reasonably good fuel efficiency @ 15.6 kmpl after 1700 km

What I miss:
1) The fog lamps that are essential – the TASS engineer advices against this – do not understand why – this provision should have been incorporated as an option in the lower variants, with the customer having a choice
2) The headlamps offer a fair extent of visibility – should have been better for a car of this class. The visibility is excellent in high beam mode, but I would never use them, excepting for providing alerts and occasional use. The drive on winding hilly road is quite difficult with the low beam - this is where I miss the fog lamps.
3) The rear view mirror should have been provided with auto dimming – once again a necessity for a car of this class

What TML should note (in addition to what is stated above in what I miss):
1) An intermittent noise that resembles one of a pipe in pipe friction at speeds ~ 40 – 50 kmph – this is not heard always, but does cause irritation, when it appears
2) The extension on the sun visor interferes with the cabin light attachment which may damage the extension Iif one is not careful to slide it in) – the design should be improved to rule out this possibility
3) The arrangement for folding of the middle row seats requires the front seats to be moved to their minimum position, leading to inconvenience –
4) The AC blower is too noisy, even at blower speed level of 2. The blower noise level must be reduced in the next versions

What members who had queries regarding XMA version should note:
1) The ride quality of XMA is as good as that of XTA. If one is happy with the version without front fog lamp, DRL and additional safety features, the XMA offers a superb VFM option. I state this after having driven the XTA extensively, during the test rides.
2) The fabric quality of the seat is extremely good and rich, in principle, they do not need a seat cover. If necessary they may be protected with commercial fabric guards.
3) The interior is as good as the XTA, except for the fact that the comfort level from the climate control AC is far superior
4) The Harman infotainment system is superb. I can not compare with the one with JBL speakers in XT/XTA, but can assure one that the quality of the audio is extremely rich and mature

About the niggles:
1) Other than the in frequent noise (at times) in the 40-50 kmph range, I have not found some other after taking delivery. Yes, there are minor issues with weld finish

About the long term care (request for some advice):
1) Am wondering about whether or not I should go for the ceramic coat on the exterior and need some advice
2) Am keen on not fitting any seat covers – however, I am not sure if these fine fabric seats would retain its texture and finish – request advice on seat care

Summary (@1800 km):
An engineering marvel form Tata’s. Midrange XMA is a VFM option. Of all cars that I have owned and driven to date (118 NE, Baleno Vxi, Xcent, Esteem, XUV, Jeep, TUV, Nano), this offers the best driving pleasure.

For TML: Please do attend to the customer feedback and improve the product to make it even better, you have already created a class.
ac3112 is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 9th February 2018, 11:29   #3717
Distinguished - BHPian

Among all the colors available for Hexa, I always had a soft spot for the silver one. The black cladding and smoked headlamps stand out beautifully. The Hexa displayed at TATA Motors stall in Auto Expo '18 looks even more attractive with black roof and mono grey alloys.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/2018-a...ml#post4353500

The other one that I liked was the all-black TUFF edition Hexa displayed before the launch. Looked like a proper gangster/stealth vehicle.

Sorry for the OT.

Last edited by ashis89 : 9th February 2018 at 11:31.
ashis89 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2018, 11:55   #3718
BHPian

@ac3112 you can fit fog lamps and DRL at TASS, same unit which is there in XTA and many XM/XMA owners have done in NCR region at TASS itself. Costs around 12-13K for complete assembly and fitting.
Anuruddhs is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th February 2018, 15:14   #3719
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac3112 View Post
Folks, it is one month now that I brought the Tata HEXA XMA home, from Active Automobiles (Possibly one of the best Tata dealers in Ahmedabad and I have given them a 5* rating). A short account (leaving aside what has been reported in great details in the reviews) on ownership:
This is exactly I was searching for, while deciding on the variant. Though I have already booked XMA now this will be useful for potential buyers. Even I found it most VFM variant as it offers all the required features. In my view the only essential feature which is missing from XMA is electrically foldable ORVMs. This is really needed for such a big car and should have been provided even in the base variant. Good to know that you found fabric seats of high quality and comfortable. I was thinking of getting seat covers on the day of delivery itself but now hearing your feedback I will postpone it for a while.
Fuel efficiency of 15.6 kmpl is quite good. How much of your 1700 kms run is in city vs highway?

Last edited by aah78 : 9th February 2018 at 23:23. Reason: Please do not quote large posts entirely. Quote only relevant sections. Thanks!
FirstRay is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2018, 17:38   #3720
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tifosikrishna View Post
Update:

As per advise of Tata Motors Customer Relationship Manager (assigned to our car), I went left the tyre with Tafe Access, they found the puncture spot, marked it (took a video) and sent it to MRF.
According to my RM, MRF denied warranty replacement citing it as external damage, nonetheless, our RM took up the case with Tata Motors HQ and got it approved yesterday (i.e. in 2.5 working days). Tyre has been replaced and ready for fitment.

All along, Venkatesh Perumal (guess senior technician or floor manager) of TAFE Access & Kathirmathiyon (RM, Tata Motors) kept me informed of the development. Overall experience was smooth & flawless, didn't even have to raise my voice once.

Though I got the replacement, if it is one off case of manufacturing defect, well & good, otherwise it is little unsettling to know one could perhaps potentially damage the sidewall without being aware of it (as in riding only in tarmac, not hitting the sidewalk etc). Expressed my concern to RM and he has assured me best of support in future too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by naddy View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anuruddhs View Post
I have got the TPMS installed on my HEXA and its a must now a days until you have a factory fitted. I could not notice a puncture in my HEXA but luckily we have to stop the car for some other purpose at same time and we noticed puncture. This avoided any damage to tyre but took a lesson and I bought the TPMS immediately. They don't cost a bomb you can get good TPMS from anywhere INR 4k-7K range.
TPMS - there's a back story to it. Had got the TPMS installed (same one that @abhi has), setup was flawless and worked well. But after the rains, when we were ready to go for our long trip, went to fill air only to find that I couldn't remove three of the sensors from the valve. Took it to service centre and with great difficulty (after trying out various types of lubricants) got it removed. I was told that it would be fine to use it and so inflated the tyres and fixed it again. Next time on the sensor (left rear to be precise) wouldn't want to get separated from the valve. Decided that it is no longer safe to use it and went to my friend's garage and got it removed (in fact it had to ripped apart). Wrote to ali express and they had their dispute resolution process or something (with some quirky processes), but seller agreed to refund the 90% of money and I shipped the product back. There on i did not try any other TPMS but promptly maintaining revised air pressure (35 to 36 PSI)

Last edited by aah78 : 9th February 2018 at 20:09. Reason: Post edited as requested.
tifosikrishna is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed