Monocoque SUV Rank
1) Creta
2) Compass
3) XUV

Counter to this could be MUV Rank
1) Innova
2) Hexa. (Distant 2nd)
(Ertiga is Monocoque and much smaller)

Am leaving the Rural SUV / MUV Bolero out of the consideration above and giving no regard to price.
ACM is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th March 2018, 14:10   #3782
BHPian

Re: Tata Hexa : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
Call me myopic but a fanboy view could be:
By Type of Vehicle:

Ladder Frame SUV Rank:
1) Fortuner
2) Hexa
3) Endeavour

Monocoque SUV Rank
1) Creta
2) Compass
3) XUV

Counter to this could be MUV Rank
1) Innova
2) Hexa. (Distant 2nd)
(Ertiga is Monocoque and much smaller)

Am leaving the Rural SUV / MUV Bolero out of the consideration above and giving no regard to price.
While a lot of the more automotively (?) informed crowd here would understand the classification, I do not believe the wider market differentiates between ladder frame and monocoque SUVs as such. My impression is that the wider market segmentation would be more on shape and size rather than the underlying construction.

Hence, it would probably be more like -

a) Large SUV - Fortuner, Endeavour etc

b) Mid Size SUV - Creta, Compass etc

c) Small SUV - Ecosport, Nexon etc

d) Large MUV - Innova etc

e) Small MUV - Ertiga etc

What I don't yet know is where the Hexa lies in this perception chart - (a) or (d)?

Last edited by Strangerintown : 7th March 2018 at 14:14.
Strangerintown is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th March 2018, 14:15   #3783
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strangerintown View Post
My impression is that the wider market segmentation would be more on shape and size rather than the underlying construction.
That is quite true. One of my friends has been changing camps between the XUV500 and Hexa since a year. Right now is almost on the verge of booking an Hexa but can change camps anytime. From a budget point of view I feel a pre owned XUV suits him more though the Hexa is the better vehicle.

He has not yet realized the underlying difference between the two though he has been studying them both since a long while.

The world too is not clear about a or d. On the Innova thread they feel the Hexa is a poorer brand MUV.

Endeavour and Fortuner customers will run away from Hexa brand perception.

XUV is a close one but we know how different the two vehicles really are.

Last edited by ACM : 7th March 2018 at 14:18.
ACM is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th March 2018, 14:17   #3784
Senior - BHPian

In contrast to the Hexa, the Tata Nexon and Tiago are doing very well for Tata, due to clear price advantage versus the competition.

Therefore if the Hexa's price on the mid variant is reduced by around a lakh, I feel sales should pick up really well.

Last edited by mooza : 7th March 2018 at 14:21.
mooza is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th March 2018, 14:59   #3785
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strangerintown View Post

What I don't yet know is where the Hexa lies in this perception chart - (a) or (d)?
Very true - am looking at booking the Hexa in the next few weeks convinced that it's a people mover SUV

TML should come out with a "Sports pack" - butch grille, decals on the sides, ski racks, etc. to lay the argument to rest
car.lover is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th March 2018, 15:06   #3786
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by car.lover View Post
Very true - am looking at booking the Hexa in the next few weeks convinced that it's a people mover SUV

TML should come out with a "Sports pack" - butch grille, decals on the sides, ski racks, etc. to lay the argument to rest
Or very easy. Just get rid of the boot space when the third row is up. The Hexa will automatically slot into the SUV category.

Likewise, all Mahindra needs to do is add some boot space when the third row is up and the XUV will slot into the MUV category.
Nalin1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th March 2018, 15:11   #3787
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalin1 View Post
Or very easy. Just get rid of the boot space when the third row is up. The Hexa will automatically slot into the SUV category.
That will mean a structural change - new body, parts, approvals, etc. - essentially a completely new model.
I was suggesting a more cosmetic change - which can be achieved on the existing model with a few add-ons
car.lover is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th March 2018, 16:45   #3788
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooza View Post
In contrast to the Hexa, the Tata Nexon and Tiago are doing very well for Tata, due to clear price advantage versus the competition.

Therefore if the Hexa's price on the mid variant is reduced by around a lakh, I feel sales should pick up really well.
I doubt if price correction would really help. People interested in Hexa already consider it VFM, which indeed it is. In India price corrections have rarely helped to revive a car and once a dud is always a dud. While Hexa had decent success in the beginning, it is slowing down a bit too quickly. Has Hexa's roots(READ: ARIA) started haunting it back? only time will tell.

Last edited by PrideRed : 7th March 2018 at 16:48.
PrideRed is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th March 2018, 19:16   #3789
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooza View Post
There is free insurance and 15k worth accessories free offer this month. On top end it roughly translates into 90k. Please speak to your dealer.

Hexa is for people who live in the present, meaning they want great ride, comfort, music etc to be happy when they drive, when they are in the car. They accept service could be bad(even though there are no major complaints yet) and resale value could be poor.

Innova is for the people who live in future. Resale value, after sales. Purchase is made with future in mind.

Xuv is for the people who live in between. Bit of this and that.

I could be generalizing big time but nothing wrong with the product, its just catering to the minority. Its the poor man's endeavor. Not a poor man's fortuner. That's the innova crowd.
krishnakarthik1 is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 8th March 2018, 09:11   #3790
BHPian

Just back from 900km trip and odo nearing 14k.
  • 15% of patchy road were gobbled up with aplomb. car simply glided over them
  • 2 Adults in the last row didn't complain. When i explicitly asked them about the ride , they said they were happy(both less than 5.5 ft). FYI: They own a storme and one of two rides it almost always
  • Overall mileage was around 13kmpl, rarely crossed 100kmph
  • Audio system is a big hit, everyone wanted to listen to their favorite track :-)

Awesome awesome car. Sad that it is not well received in the market
tifosikrishna is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 8th March 2018, 13:00   #3791
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krishnakarthik1 View Post
Its the poor man's endeavor.
I would say its poor man’s endeavour with more ‘refined powertrain’. The official review of endeavour says, ‘Out on the highway also, the 2.2L feels fast enough upto 120 kph. But beyond that, the punch that you would expect after spending 30 big ones is missing.’
During test rides, I have taken XTA to high speed and found no issues with the power delivery and did not experience lack of punch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tifosikrishna View Post
Sad that it is not well received in the market
I think there are lot of factors resulting in low sales volumes one of them could be logistics issue. Just sharing my experience, when I booked Hexa (against dealer’s wish I had booked 2018 model, dealer was insisting more on 2017 model), I was not able to trace the vehicle even after 15 days and receiving the VIN. Dealer was giving excuses like, it’s in transit, the truck is not traceable, truck got caught on the state border due to lack of documents etc. Finally I came to know that vehicle is not dispatched from the plant itself. I escalated to Tata Motors and threatened to cancel my booking if I don’t get clear information around the delivery of the vehicle. I told them, give me a date as per your convenience and ensure that vehicle reaches to dealership on that date. If it does not, feel free to cancel my booking even without asking me. After that everything happened as a scripted story.

During this time I realised the real meaning of Hexa tagline ‘Whatever it takes’.

The other one could be reactive approach of dealers than proactive. I was dealing with dealer since Dec 2017 and finally got my vehicle delivered in last week of Feb 2018. I noticed that dealers get active towards the end of the month as month-end approaches and they have pressure to achieve the targets.

Whatever are the issues, Tata Motors need to resolve them to maintain good sales volumes.

I have started seeing more and more Hexas on Gurgaon roads from sometime towards the end of last year, may be year-end discounts took Hexa’s VFM proposition to next level. But even after that if sales numbers are what shared above then it is taking hit in some other city/region.

Last edited by GTO : 10th March 2018 at 08:27. Reason: Strictly no mention of illegally high speeds on Team-BHP please
FirstRay is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th March 2018, 13:52   #3792
Senior - BHPian

Hexa and Endeavour are 2 completely different animals. The Endeavour is a proper SUV which can handle really tricky terrains. Endeavour for highway cruising is a wrong choice I would say. It is similar to Hexa for off roading ( even though it can handle soft off roading ).

If ever I want to tag something as poor man's endeavour, it has to be the mahindra classic 4x4. It is comparable to endeavour in its off road capabilities and at the same time fits into most people's budget as well.

Hexa on the other hand is an excellent highway cruiser ( better than the endeavour and fortuner for sure because those are built for different purposes ) and provides one of the best ride comfort for any vehicle sold in India.
amalji is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th March 2018, 14:19   #3793
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
That is quite true. One of my friends has been changing camps between the XUV500 and Hexa since a year. Right now is almost on the verge of booking an Hexa but can change camps anytime.
Happened with my friend last year. After liking everything about the Hexa, except the flat folding seats (the slight tilt), he went on to purchase a XUV500 because it had a sunroof. I guess he has used the sunroof once in the last year, probably during the initial days of purchase, never again. Not to mention the fact that he lost a couple of lakhs in the GST juggling.

Also had issues with tyre wear, alignment, steering wobble and poor headlights. He got the first three corrected at the service center and replaced the bulbs.

Last edited by discoverwild : 8th March 2018 at 14:23.
discoverwild is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th March 2018, 15:29   #3794
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by discoverwild View Post
Happened with my friend last year. After liking everything about the Hexa, except the flat folding seats (the slight tilt), he went on to purchase a XUV500 because it had a sunroof.
That is the reason why the more deserved cars do not sell much. India is a feature-driven market.
Just add factory fit sunroof, keyless entry, electronic seat adjustments, a huge ICE touchscreen and the sales will only go north.
Just wish TATA understood the mentality of its targets as of how Mahindra and Maruti have.

Very few people prioritise the fundamentals of a car: The way it drives and handles. These cannot be purchased aftermarket. Features, you can!
abhi7013 is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 8th March 2018, 15:48   #3795
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi7013 View Post
Very few people prioritise the fundamentals of a car: The way it drives and handles. These cannot be purchased aftermarket. Features, you can!
Couldn't have said it better. It's glamour not substance that sells. I have another friend with a Cruze and the sunroof has again been used probably a few times in the last decade. The diesel engine is a beast though.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks