Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd March 2018, 21:20   #3901
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tata Hexa : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by roby_dk View Post

The missing things from my side are:

1. Safety features missing in XTA vs XT.
2. Powered electric seat(driver).
3. A panoramic Sunroof.
4. Flat folding 3rd row.
5. Bigger infotainment screen.
Except for the flat folding 3rd row, every other 'missing' thing you mention is going to hike up prices, not to mention extensive modifications (no modifications for the powered seat). Now this begs the question, with sales being what they are, does it warrant this much work, given that they will always be the underdog here?

Better to put that kind of investment on a new car than on one which currently though the best (for the price) still sells lower than competition.
discoverwild is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th March 2018, 12:56   #3902
BHPian

Hexa face lift could do with a 2.8 liter engine that would make it very very drive friendly.

Plusher seats and better lumbar support.

Could do with slightly smaller diameter tires and softer rubber .

Slight decrease of ground clearance

Better tuned progressive suspension

If possible reduce another 400kgs.

In a nutshell something between the present Hexa and Innova Crysta.
Frankenstein is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th March 2018, 17:06   #3903
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amalji View Post
+1 to this. We at team-bhp need to be more critical about the suspensions offered on modern cars while writing reviews. Hexa's official review was filled with superlatives which is far from reality. GTO rated Crysta's suspension at 7 out of 10 which is very kind marks for the kind of jerky ride it offers on bad roads. The crysta gives me a kick on my back every time I take the car at speed over a small speed breaker. The Etios in comparison was much much plusher! And it's not SUVs that we are comparing here. It's people mover MPV suspension which are supposed to provide ride comfort for the passengers. If I compare the Crysta suspensions with Ertiga for example, Ertiga feels much more smooth.
I am no expert, but I believe softer suspensions tend to make a ride plush on bad roads and city driving speeds while they tend to be boat like on highway speeds and undulated roads. On the other side, stiff suspensions take these like a charm but become jerky on bad roads and low speed rides. With these heavy weight SUV's/MUV's I don't think we can go with softer suspensions, there has to be a compromise somewhere. It might not be prudent to compare these beasts's behavior to a sedan.

Of course if one were to have an adaptive damping system, one could control the suspension behavior dynamically and have best of both worlds. YouTube the review of the new Passat by Autodrive, it has a nice blur on Passat's adaptive damping system with visual difference.
SR-71 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th March 2018, 17:11   #3904
BHPian

And its here! They said 15 days and it landed in 14 days if i remember correctly. Sales experience has been fantastic so far. Very impressed with Tata. Can't say the same about the old car exchange process but more on that in the initial ownership review. Will be taking delivery next week. Its a Jan 2018 XTA 7 seater.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Hexa : Official Review-whatsapp-image-20180324-4.58.25-pm.jpg  

Tata Hexa : Official Review-whatsapp-image-20180324-4.58.26-pm-1.jpg  

Tata Hexa : Official Review-whatsapp-image-20180324-4.58.26-pm-2.jpg  

Tata Hexa : Official Review-whatsapp-image-20180324-4.58.26-pm-3.jpg  

krishnakarthik1 is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 24th March 2018, 19:39   #3905
BHPian

Hi. Let me be the 1st one to congratulate you. Hexa in blue looks smashing. Great choice and wish you happy motoring.
nvldvr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th March 2018, 19:51   #3906
BHPian

Congratulations on your purchase. Blue looks smashing on Hexa. Even Space Greay looks equally beautiful on Hexa. Wish you many Happy safe miles.
HappyRoadie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th March 2018, 19:56   #3907
BHPian

Congratulations! Please do come up with the ownership review as there are only 2 and this forum will benefit from more such threads!
abhi7013 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2018, 11:40   #3908
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankenstein View Post
Power is average as there is evident turbo lag and nothing happens for 2 to 3 seconds.
That's where the term 'good driver' comes into play, one should know how to read their engine. Every engine has shortcomings, it's the role of the driver to deal with them. I frequently used to stall XUV in second gear even on speed breakers, but I won't blame the XUV; it was my role to do the right thing.

Quote:
This thing struggles on hills , too many gear changes and high rpm shifts.
Sorry, I won't agree. Keep it above 1500 and it keeps moving; you can engage third gear every time it touches 50 kph while going uphill.

Quote:
Handles ok but mid corner braking is quite dangerous as the tail steps out
In which vehicle it is safe to brake in the middle of a corner while doing high speeds? Honda City? Civic? Octavia? Any SUV you can tell me of which can comfortably take hard brakes in the middle of a corner while carrying some speed?
And on low speeds, it is quite acceptable; you need to understand that it's a long wheelbase vehicle with a high center of gravity - drive it like one.

Quote:
Hexa requires a ecu remap and smaller diameter tires with softer rubber compound to make it more drive friendly.
100% agreeable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
The other car in our travel group is a Fortuner, and I am making a direct comparison.
Let me make one comparison, I had a back ache after having taken a bad section at high speeds in a new gen Fortuner but not in Hexa. That, IMO says everything about the ride quality.

Quote:
Easily outpaces the Fortuner in most conditions.
Probably the 3.0 Fortuner, the brute force of 2.8 is something that Hexa can't hold its candle in front of (Even Crysta 2.8 too)

Quote:
Never had an issue with the tail stepping out, unless of course you deliberately try to do so in which case the LSD will kick in and make her tango
I won't go on to praise LSD because I am not even sure if it has one or that even works; here is a video of the same in which it's simply behaving like an open differential:

Rest I have also never faced the issue of tail stepping out until it is deliberately done.

Quote:
Extra stopping power feels needed only during panic braking from three digit speeds. Yes, the brake pedal has long travel and bites a bit low, and you need to get used to it.
Agree 100%, pedal feel is also better than the wooden feeling on the pedal of XUV. In hexa it is quite easy for me to comprehend exactly how much force on pedal will give me how much braking - so I am quite happy with the pedal feedback. If you are facing any kind of pedal feel related issues, I would suggest you once get the bleeding done and check for the presence of any air bubbles in the lines.

/quote]sit in the Fortuner after being in the Hexa for a couple of hours, and you'll know the difference.[/quote]
I am 5'10 and I find the captain seats of Crysta and Fortuner a better place to be in

Quote:
I have slip disc problem, and the Hexa with it's excellent seats and A+ ride has effectively become my daily driver.
Quite agreeable, a comfortable seat and ride is a must for my father and Hexa is his preferred ride now.

Quote:
Hexa being better than Fortuner dosent entitle it to have A + ride.
Then which car has under say 30 lac?

Quote:
Regarding taking it on climb and places that is a different issue, point is how comfortable it can do .The amount of gear changes in a Hexa is way too much compared to the Innova and Scorpio
I have posted multiple pages back that when it comes to going uphill, nothing comes close to the Scorpio, it is completely agreeable. Applies to the Innova 2.5 too, that's a 1700 kilo vehicle with 2500 cc engine, it will indeed pull better.

Quote:
you down shift from 3rd to 2nd and nothing happens for 2 seconds and then starts pulling strongly
You should get your car checked, there is instant power and that also in dollops.

Quote:
this creates a forward and backward jerk which makes the passengers puke.
Either your car is at fault or the driver is, I think you need to understand that while downshifting; it is important to match the revs or simply follow one rule of leaving the clutch slowly on and after the biting point and it will never give a jerk.

Quote:
At least take a very bad section of roads generally like state highway railway crossings, put a Hexa, Inovva Duster , scorpio , etc etc and see the fun. Take a proper big speed braker at 45 degrees and see how it will bounce like a roller coaster.
Which ladder frame seven seat UV with a live rear axle doesn't? Take the same speed breaker with a full load and see how it goes better thane everything else.

[quote=Frankenstein;4375053]Uttarakhand road which are brutal and test of suspension , the Scorpio suspension bushes here wont last more than 15k kms [quote]
Which road in Uttarakhand? I have driven a Scorpio for over 60k kms in just 17 months when I was working as a contractor on those roads and there wasn't a single - I mean a single complaint.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasanna_indaje View Post
And, Even I am interested to know which car on the south of 50L has best ride quality.
Add me also to the list of curious people - I also want to find out which other car rides better than Hexa under 50 lac.

Here is a video recorded by me a few months back, look at the wheel movement and body composure. Crysta couldn't do that, nor could the Fortuner:
VKumar is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 25th March 2018, 11:44   #3909
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VKumar View Post

Here is a video recorded by me a few months back, look at the wheel movement and body composure. Crysta couldn't do that, nor could the Fortuner:
https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=DHcCuCRmaBA
I am thinking the marketing team of Tata shall contact you soon to buy this video.

This is one of the most unique yet effective form of advertisement they can do for this type of car, especially on Indian roads.

Eg:
Others cars - I have this feature, that feature.
Tata Hexa - Just watch the way my suspension works. Period.

Last edited by sharktale : 25th March 2018 at 11:46. Reason: typo
sharktale is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 25th March 2018, 20:52   #3910
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharktale View Post
I am thinking the marketing team of Tata shall contact you soon to buy this video.
I wish they give ME a call. Would give them a piece of my mind. Its the most stupidest marketing team there can be for a company as huge as Tata Motors. Now even adverts for Nexon are slowly dying out.
I really love the way Mahindra handle campaigns.

How paradoxical that TATA's SOUL does everything better than what is showed in Mahindra's live young live free ad! They need some creative guys in the team to replace the current boring ones.

Or is it that these cars are selling at satisfactory numbers for them and there's no need for the marketing?

Last edited by ampere : 26th March 2018 at 07:41. Reason: Fixed typos
abhi7013 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th March 2018, 21:25   #3911
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi7013 View Post
Or is it that these cars are selling at satisfactory numbers for them and there's no need for the marketing?
I hope it's only a budget issue. They are prioritising the car more than marketing.

Seriously, while posting my reply, I could imagine sooo many instances/tests where Tata could show off Hexa's strength. Maybe a beaker test, comfort test and the likes. Take a cue from what Land Rover is doing in terms of marketing too.

So many YouTubers are really rocking with in-depth car reviews (Doug DeMuro!!).

Marketing team definitely needs to re-invent itself and follow YouTube more. They'd have tons of free ideas to grab.
Old 25th March 2018, 23:38   #3912
BHPian

Quote:
I hope it's only a budget issue. They are prioritising the car more than marketing.
This article seems to be inline with your thoughts:-

https://www.cartoq.com/tata-motors-c...e-explain-why/
Old 26th March 2018, 09:15   #3913
BMK

Have been following this thread for quite a while and took delivery of XE (white) in Jan. Thanks to all the honest inputs by all in this thread - it was invaluable.

Official review by Aditya was helpful in getting the overall feel for hexa and Torquedo's feedback on XE in particular was helpful in clearing up my thoughts on XE and firming my decision.

Done 3k kms now. So qualified to write few lines :-) and hopefully this helps some.

Here was my requirement and decision process of owning one
- good driver and passenger comfort for long haul.
- value for money
- occasional 7 seat usage, but should be no compromise and comfortable (else would feel guilty for the 2 last benchers :-(, have experienced XUV a bit and even 12yrs were unforgiving.)
- reliability (well many may twist their eyebrows, but more on this below)

Questions that bothers when someone looks @ XE trim (These were the questions I had to answer me prior to deciding.)
- Missing items: 6 Airbags & 6 th Gear (I wish they had an option with XE, but then not all wishes come true), parking sensors (can add) and rear wiper (can live without one)
- Less Torque: more torque of XM+, good to have - but if 320NM has been doing duty on Safari so long, may be not that bad (given no dealer had XE for test drive)
- No Touch screen - no big deal, may be smartphone can do decent job
- Automatic: Good to have, even test drive proved it was bliss. But I was at ease with manual during test drives - clutch, gear change and power delivery behaved very well.
- Hill control, drive modes, 4x4 etc - good to have but not something I would be using, so ok to live without them and avoid the dent in wallet. In my general experience of any equipment, more the knobs you have, more likely it rusts in one position and when you really use it you end up experimenting - perennially).

Now coming to owner ship experience and validation of few points above.

Comfort, Build quality and looks:* All adjectives have already been used by others in this thread. None left for me 😊.
XE is no compromise vs other trims - except for some chrome here and there.

Torque: Haven't ever felt lack of it.
Have driven on charmadi or somwarpet/medikeri routes of western ghats it had enough grunt even from stand still in steepest portions on uphill drive (note: was not fully loaded though)
Highway over taking - breeze even on 5th gear @ ~80-100 KMPH.
Have pushed till 3K rpm and power deliver is linear from 1250+ in all gears.
If in wrong gear, has a rubbery pull if less than 1250 rpm (Etios petrol has spoilt me by allowing me to go over most of the Bangalore speed breakers effortlessly on 3rd or even 4th gear).
You may not win the title for fastest 100 kmph sprint (2 ton to drag!), but a marathon – effortlessly.

6th gear: Missing it. At 100 kmph, engine clocks @ ~2200 rpm on 5 th gear – however, engine noise starts filtering in but not harsh.
<2000rpm is pretty silent while cruising on highway. Would expect 6th gear to settle in below that.
But then found a work around - Harman can drown the cabin in music of your choice with no missed notes or crackling at any volume you are comfortable with. (Note that this is stock system and yes retro no-touch. )

Clutch and Gear:
Have moved from Etios petrol, so can say clutch is lighter in hexa and gear slotting is not “click” precise as Toyota, but easily wanders into the right slot always - effortlessly. No complaints.

Power delivery: Very linear, no jerks when you depress/release clutch unless you are in wrong gear for the rpm.
Driving in notorious stretches of Blr on ORR (which is less than average bicycle speed) - nothing to complain. can keep mostly on 3rd gear as far as you are moving and on 2nd if it is creep creep traffic. The engine is eager enough at 800-900 rpm or above 1250 rpm in any gear. Trick is mastering to avoid the rubbery zone in between.

Brakes: there is play before it starts biting. Need to get used to it for precise braking in back to back traffic. Remember, momentum matters not just speed.

Size: yes it is huge, but navigating has never been a problem till date. Parking needs a bit of planning for length. Width and turning radius not a big deal. Hydraulic steering is great feel, not difficult as it is made out compared to electric.

Fuel efficiency: DIS shows 14.5 over 3k kms 50/50 highway/city.
Torque app shows 10-11 in city and 15-16 on highway and long term average of 13+.

Reliability: No single complaint in about 3 months & 3K. Niggles/rattles – what is that?

I have owned indica DLE (5 yrs/65k), Indica LSi (9yrs/110k) and driven from Delhi to Rohtang. Was never let down ever on the road.
Service experience, average but you can get the best from them with some patience.
Rattling with age - yes it did a bit, but then after about 40-50k. Taking chance with new generation products seemed a less risky proposition.
Owned Etios petrol (7yrs/70k) - product, maintenance cost and service experience was too good. Crysta was tempting/worthy upgrade for (absolutely boring) Toyota ownership experience!
But then Crysta though on list did not make the final cut for the pricing - it was a steep premium.
A lakh or so premium, would have still made the cut, but then it was >4 L (for GX and heck even with no radio, forget touch :-)).
Yes, resale matters, but then 8-10yrs/100k and with talks of electric future thick, not sure how to peer into the future. You are having 4L now in your bank. That matters!

Sales experience with dealer though was pathetic to say the least. Drag Tata motors customer service into the frame and dealer falls inline.

Total onroad damage:14.5L, including free (sidestep + basic accessory) + 2yrs extended warranty (11k) + 2yrs gold AMC with logistics waived off (23k) + insurance (38k).

Summary: XE has nothing to majorly complain about (atleast as of now with 3k drive).
6th gear is something good to have, given the engine capability & 6 air bags just in case, with no intention to test them though!
BMK is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 26th March 2018, 09:58   #3914
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VKumar View Post
That's where the term 'good driver' comes into play, one should know how to read their engine.
===========
sit in the Fortuner after being in the Hexa for a couple of hours, and you'll know the difference.
I am 5'10 and I find the captain seats of Crysta and Fortuner a better place to be in

Quite agreeable, a comfortable seat and ride is a must for my father and Hexa is his preferred ride now.

Then which car has under say 30 lac?

I have posted multiple pages back that when it comes to going uphill, nothing comes close to the Scorpio, it is completely agreeable. Applies to the Innova 2.5 too, that's a 1700 kilo vehicle with 2500 cc engine, it will indeed pull better.

You should get your car checked, there is instant power and that also in dollops.

Either your car is at fault or the driver is, I think you need to understand that while downshifting; it is important to match the revs or simply follow one rule of leaving the clutch slowly on and after the biting point and it will never give a jerk.

Which ladder frame seven seat UV with a live rear axle doesn't? Take the same speed breaker with a full load and see how it goes better thane everything else.

Quote:
Uttarakhand road which are brutal and test of suspension , the Scorpio suspension bushes here wont last more than 15k kms

======
I was indeed mentioning the short comings.

So say in 2nd gear uphill traffic when you comedown to 1500 rpm say around 20 km you need to shift to 1st, god save the clutch and passengers. No mater how slowly you release the clutch in 1st gear at 20 km the car will rock backwards, this feeling constantly for hours will be tiresome.
'The Hexa engine is at 3000+rpm at 50 km in 2nd gear, it literally shouts , how long to keep the engine on the boil, that IS why i said it struggles .

It happened from Dehradun to airport, was doing around 60 on a right hander , the curve you get before Doiwala, didnt break hard but curve was sharp, tail stepped out, multiple times in Scorpio or Innova didnt hurt. This is understandably due to high ground clearance and weight which is what i mentioned, if it was a less skilled driver it would have been dangerous.

2nd time heavy rain , front right fell into a pot hole and the car was almost side ways, i am very careful after that on corners , Scorpio is generally skittish but may be due to excess weight this one steps out.

Full load always is not possible . Nice video there, try if you can to record the body movements.

Last edited by Jaggu : 26th March 2018 at 11:34. Reason: Removing Youtube links and trimming the excess post, for readability. Thanks.
Old 26th March 2018, 13:40   #3915
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This is one of the most unique yet effective form of advertisement they can do for this type of car, especially on Indian roads.
Quote:
Nice video there, try if you can to record the body movements.
That video doesn't say anything about the composure of the body. Because the camera is attached rigidly to the body, the camera movement is in alignment with the movement of the body. The camera captures the suspension movements relative to the body but not the body movement relative to the road surface.

Any suspension working video that you search on youtube will look similar to that.

Regardless, Hexa has one of the best suspension comfort compared to the cars in that range and the Crysta or fortuner is nowhere close to Hexa in that respect. Even then, that video doesn't prove anything. That's how any suspension working video will look like because the camera is attached to the body and it just captures the relative movement of the suspensions and not the body movement compared to the road.

Last edited by ajmat : 27th March 2018 at 15:26. Reason: removing video from quote
amalji is online now   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks