Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd May 2018, 14:40   #4051
BHPian

Re: Tata Hexa : Official Review

Guys I'm planning to get side steps installed in my Hexa. Should I go with official side steps that are available in Tata dealership or should I go with aftermarket ones i.e. those available in local shops. The dealer is quoting me 15k for side steps. I'll go and find out what price the local shops are offering.
Old 3rd May 2018, 18:20   #4052
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRoadie View Post
Guys I'm planning to get side steps installed in my Hexa. Should I go with official side steps that are available in Tata dealership or should I go with aftermarket ones i.e. those available in local shops. The dealer is quoting me 15k for side steps. I'll go and find out what price the local shops are offering.
It’s best to get it done through the dealer even though they may be slightly more expensive. Since they deal with the vehicle day in and day out, the probability of them messing up the work is lesser.
maven is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2018, 20:28   #4053
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maven View Post
It’s best to get it done through the dealer even though they may be slightly more expensive.
+1. Additionally I would suggest to go with the ones which are fitted with proper metal brackets as those will be sturdier. Dealers generally quote 15K for Hexa side steps but should negotiate a bit.
FirstRay is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2018, 10:53   #4054

Wonderful thread and reinforces my belief that this group is the best and detailed when it comes to car ownership and reviews. I have taken a TD of Hexa 4 months back but not able to conclude. Earlier I was a scorpio owner and started hunting for more options like XUV, Innova, Scorpio, Isuzu, etc. and finally came back to Hexa again. My biggest problems though might seem trivial for others are not having a android or apple play, small screen, no key less entry, no sunroof - I feel like some poor guy spent the entire money on building the house and left with less for interiors. I realized there is no one car which ticks all the boxes even at this price range.

What brought me back is the fantastic ride quality of this beast. Others did not give me that comfort.

After reading 100s of pages I still confused on whether to go with XT, XTA or XT 4x4. Between XT and XTA, the vote seems to have gone to XTA. Can any of the owners or enthusiasts help me what are the pros and cons between XTA and 4x4.

I' am not a regular off roader but the twice a year i head to places which can have troubling roads. Also i feel 4x4 might open up opportunities for me to explore places which I haven't earlier. Some where I read on this thread that XTA sports mode does what 4x4 does but not sure that is an apt comparison. If the tata fellows would have offered 4x4 in automatic, it would have been an easy choice. Would appreciate any inputs on helping me make a choice between XTA and 4x4.
Old 4th May 2018, 12:28   #4055
BANNED

Caution: Long Post, have a Disprin handy!
Dear Torque Anjaney, I would suggest you take another test drive of the Hexa, looks like either the car you drove wasn't perfect or the dealer wasn't or maybe your mood wasn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TORQUE_AANJANEY View Post
I also decided to be chauffeured in the back seat by my brother for the entire journey
I am a 'mostly' chauffeur driven guy and my father being a full time one, both of us prefer Hexa when it comes to traveling in the middle row. In fact I have stated a few times on the forum itself that if I am driving myself, then XUV; if chauffeur driven - then Hexa!

Quote:
my family not complaining at all, it was getting all too mysterious.
As a standalone, the ride of XUV isn't bad at all and I am sure that your family won't be giving results of a comparative analysis. Isn't it? What reveiwers do is compare the cars from same segment and when you do comparison, then you always get relative ratings.

I have had a decent ownership experience with XUV and I repeat it again; the ride of XUV is acceptable - but Hexa does it better. While you go over slightly broken patches, in XUV you can feel everything, not in Hexa. The arrogance with which Hexa dismisses the potholes is what makes it stand apart. This is how it goes:
1) Hexa
2) Crysta
3) XUV

Quote:
few deeper potholes shaking the cabin a bit (more side to side vs vertical)
Any ladder frame SUV/MUV equipped with double wishbones up front and a solid live axle at rear will have those sideways movements higher than any monocoque. What makes the difference is how damped those movements are. So, Hexa definitely has more sideways movements as compared to say XUV, but at the same time - it is the long travel suspension of Hexa that offers a higher damping than the XUV does. In XUV the crashing is common, not in Hexa - that's where the difference lies.

Be is Crysta or Hexa or Storme, all have higher sideways movements than XUV, but all offer a better overall ride quality and better damping on poor surface. The thing is, when you are going into potholes, every car will have movements, damping is what actually protects you from crashing into holes as violently as yours tyres are crashing into them.

Quote:
those 2nd row of seats in XUV are just amazing. No wonder my family never complained, even during our 1100kms drive each way from Bangalore to Mumbai for 12-13 hrs.
No two ways about it, XUV seats feel slightly tighter but that's the way I also prefer. Also XUV offers acres of legroom in the second row - that adds another dimension to the sense of space it has. Additionally, XUV is a comfortable car to be in, as I already said - XUV standalone is a comfortable and brilliant cruiser / mile muncher - but here we have a relative comparison.

Quote:
I think the critics / people / owners are either too harsh on the ride quality of XUV
This point I will agree, it's definitely not as bad as few people make it looks or sound like.

Quote:
Things again started to fall apart on the interior. Storage scarcity became pronounced again for the driver seat.
100% agreeable, this is the most glaring and even irritating fact about the Hexa - they haven't just provided the right set of storage spaces. And I don't want any fan to now jump in to tell me how storage spaces would have spoiled cabin ambience - that's a fake excuse that I have already got once. I want my phone and wallet to be as far from my hand as much is the drive mode selector switch - not an inch more.

Quote:
35 mins later the test drive vehicle looked better than when it arrived but far off from the brand new vehicle. Far too many scratches on the piano black finishings.
This is a test drive car, I had a test drive XUV with ICE not working - am I supposed to say that "ICE doesn't work on any XUV"?
IMO the matte black finish on the central console of Hexa is simply unmatched in this segment at least.

Quote:
As long as the dash polish stays for few mins, they look like revived but as it starts to evaporate the shine goes away
Maintaining a black interior properly is not a kid's play darling, I spend quite a bit of money every year only on those black plastics with a set of decent quality polishes (Not the one service centers use) and how rewarding they are. Here I will blame the polish, nothing else.

I owned an XUV for 32k kms which had:
1) Misaligned glovebox lid
2) One central AC vent which could never direct air properly

So, overall interior of Hexa can be any day rated over XUV at least and when you clean a black interior time to time and keep it maintained - believe me, it doesn't take more than half hour a month - the interior of Hexa is way more rewarding with that proper 'SUV' feel associated to it.

Quote:
I had on my 1st gen Hyundai i10 albeit in beige color.
I won't deny, Hyundai uses the best available plastics in the market. I have owned that car too, it had no rattles, the glovebox lid also used to feel solid (It was a thick plastic) and the dash top plastic was definitely good.

I would any day accept the fact that the plastics, fit and finish of even a grand i10 can any day beat all three of them - Crysta, Hexa and XUV.

Quote:
if your car is timely and regularly serviced, there shouldn't be any rattle whatsoever.
Hexa will require one service less for the same, I am from a contractor background and my cars more than frequently see some of the worst possible roads - Hexa can fare better than an XUV there any day.

Quote:
However this time round, my complaint about the odd shaped arm rest in Hexa went away.
I too had issues with it, but later I found it quite usable for me - I too drive in a laid back style.

Quote:
the steering is way too far than my XUV. Pull the seat closer to the dashboard and your knee starts hitting the dash underneaths. Shorter drivers like me who can't have the seat pulled way too back will not find the space underneath the dash or the lack of reach adjustment ergonomic.
I drive with seat set at lowest position, I like the low set dashboard of the Hexa more than that of XUV as the visibility up front is just wonderful. Here you have one positive, you get a dashboard which is quite low set and hence even shorter drivers also don't find any problem driving the Hexa.

Actually, you need to adjust the seat in a manner that when your clutch is fully depressed, your thigh section should properly rest on seat squab - adjust seat there setting it quite low and your complain will be gone.

Quote:
Sure you wish it were any lower but trust me it's far better that way than hurting your knees.
C'mon man, you drive your car or fight with it? You press the pedals or hit them? I mean, I have driven lakhs of kilometers in past and neevr in my life I had my knees hurt / injured because they 'hit' something while driving.

Quote:
The speeds at which Hexa automatic is comfortable changing lanes, will make the travel a lot longer.
My dad's chauffeur has exactly opposite to say, they cover Dehradun-Delhi commute in Hexa in lesser time as compared to Accord (And for lesser cost too - the FE thing ), as per him the Hexa is very comfortable even at 130-140 kph and higher seating allows him to plan all the maneuvers right in advance.

In fact I have many times done the devil level drives in Hexa, many lane changes and what not - never felt that Hex is nervous in changing lanes till you are sane. Rest if you are being insane while changing the lanes, even XUV will also give up.

It is important to drive test drive cars in a manner like you drive normally, I have seen people doing extreme maneuvers in test drive cars - that doesn't provide any kind of usable experience. What matters is, drive it like you normally do and you get to know the 'real' reality of what you are going to live with in future.

Quote:
The brakes on my car are not that progressive and they need time to get used to. The new 2018 XUV Automatic braking is like ages ahead of mine and at par with the Hexa.
That's the sole difference between driving a beaten up TD car and a brand new TD car (The 2018 XUV TD car can't be a beaten up example and it's a fact that people literally beat ladder frame SUVs in TD).

Additionally, the brakes of Hexa don't feel as sharp as of XUV at triple digit speeds - it's a 500 kg heavier car after all.

Quote:
The reverse camera missing the guidelines plus the extremely poor quality in dimly lit surroundings is just unpardonable.
No sane man will reverse a full size SUV solely depending on reversing camera and parking sensors. I have many friends who did this mistake on different SUVs and came back home with scratches and dents. It is always good to check your rear view mirrors too.

Coming to 5" screen part and blurred image, do check in a new car - probably the TD car had some issue. I am someone who is not evry much in the favor of Hexa, but what I conclude from that statement is:

Either you are at fault, or the car you drove is at fault or both of you are at fault.

Quote:
Lastly that JBL audio is overrated. Period.
This I will also agree, I too went with huge expectations, just to return back disappointed - I have felt that even the one in Tiago sounds better. Probably the bigger body to blame here. Yes, it is better than say of Crysta or XUV; but nothing like it is made to be thought of.

Quote:
The AC blower noise is way too high.
100% agreeable again, it is definitely the loudest blower among the three UVs we have been talking about - but not as loud that you will have to shout to talk to your passengers. For say first 3-4 minutes, the blower produces a really irritating sound - I personally use manual mode for first 5-6 minutes and then switch to auto at 24, but I do that in every car as every auto climate control will run the blower at full speed initially for a car parked under sun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nissan1180 View Post
Also, we have an XCent at home, and calling the plastic quality similar is actually an insult to the Hexa
I too have to say the same, the interior quality, fit and finish of an Xcent looks better than hexa to my eyes (Especially that beige insert in the dash and the side AC vents). Hyundai is the kind of plastics, fit and finish.

Ahh, that said - I am someone who doesn't like those soft touch plastics. I like the ones with premium feel, the ones which I would want to touch once I am inside the car - and Hyundai does that thing very well. I won;t go to vendors to get the grain content and the info of hydrocarbons, I am talking about what I, as an owner of the car do feel - and that is most important to me; nothing else.

Quote:
Sorry, but I'm writing this while wearing a Bose QC25 headphone on a laptop that's equipped with a B&O driver.
Congrats for using that stuff, my thoughts are more or less similar to Torque Anjaney, I too don't find anythign as special in Hexa ICE as much it's made out to be. I don't know what earphones or headphones or songs I listen, my friends say that I use decent stuff and listen to good songs with nice background (Khalbali from Rang de Basanti for example). so, let me repeat it again:
"It doesn't matter to me what the tech specs are or what the brand is, all that matters is how I, as an owner, feel when I experience the thing".

The way people and Tata sales team tell that 10 speakers, 1 sub, blah blah, blah blah; anyone is made to think that it's a disco on the wheels - and then gets disappointed!!

Quote:
The size of the screen is definitely a genuine complaint.
I am probably the odd one out, I still prefer buttons for all the basic functions - at least that way I can change the mode, channel or adjust volume etc even without having to look at the screen. I am not comfortable with the floating screen of my new Ecosport as it feels more of a distraction to me and lack of buttons means I need to look at screen for everything and touch only at the right point - and that's a pain while you are driving in hills or uneven surface.

Quote:
Originally Posted by damodar View Post
Those who have pushed the Hexa to its limits will understand how nimble and confidence inspiring it is at high speeds.
This is a car with ESP I can bet! Don't ask me how i know what happens in the car without ESP.

But yes, going by the size and weight, Hexa is definitely a nimble vehicle. Will I choose cornering in a Hexa over an XUV? Well, I won't!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waspune View Post
Also I don't know why are people getting confused between hexa and xuv wrt ride and handling. The Hexa has a great ride and is a benchmark while the XUV being a monocoque is the nimbler handler here.
Very well put together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi7013 View Post
1. No matter how much time people say they spent in tuning the audio, everything is meaningless if you do not set the balance two points behind the driver.
This point makes sense, for the audiophiles like me (1% audiophile), it will feel just above what others offer - and so it does to me.

I tried this too, but I guess it's the psychology which has played me down. 10 speakers + one sub - thought, moving disco - thought, what later? Ehh, I am always like - it's all good but not to what I expected. Definitely better than XUV or crysta though, maybe by two folds.

Quote:
3. Dashboard polish is NOT recommended for Hexa as it makes the dashboard look weird and the material looks decades old when the polish evaporates, just as many folks observed. All you need to do is use a wet cloth to clean off any stains.
Exactly, maintaining a full black interior with some nice plastics is not the forte of everyone - one needs to use either simple methods as mentioned above or get the premium items from market. That said, black interior is more premium and hence even the polishes etc for it also come at a premium.

Quote:
When it comes to selecting between this and XUV, it all boils down to what kind of a buyer you are.
If you value features, bells and whistles more, then XUV is definitely the car for you. Its got a peppy engine as well!
But if you value the fundamentals of a car like its driving experience, the way it carries itself and how you feel sitting in the cabin irrespective of driving on or off tarmac, its the Hexa.
Nail - Present Sir!
Hammer - Present Sir!
Head - Present sir!
BAM!!

The nail has been hit at perfect place.

Quote:
"XUV is similar to a young enthusiastic kid: showing off what it is through its loud looks and ever eager with its new engine and features.
Hexa however is like that calm gangster guy smoking a cigar
Please read the line posted above!
VKumar is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 4th May 2018, 12:46   #4056
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VenkatMunukutla View Post
After reading 100s of pages I still confused on whether to go with XT, XTA or XT 4x4. Between XT and XTA, the vote seems to have gone to XTA. Can any of the owners or enthusiasts help me what are the pros and cons between XTA and 4x4.
I am also in same dilemma for months
But inclined over XT 4*4 due to extra safety features like ESP, TC etc which are sorely missed in XTA.
XTA has its own merits, easy on city and relax drive on highway which could not be matched by manual.

Mostly i will book XT 4*4 - 7 seater being an SUV in sea grey coming months.
hope Tata will listen to us and update Hexa with 7+ inch screen in infotainment and push button start, even happy to shelve my money on XTA 4*4 with missed safety features too if they release it by this year or early 2019.
aks_karthik is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2018, 14:46   #4057
BHPian

Quote:

I' am not a regular off roader but the twice a year i head to places which can have troubling roads. Also i feel 4x4 might open up opportunities for me to explore places which I haven't earlier. Some where I read on this thread that XTA sports mode does what 4x4 does but not sure that is an apt comparison. If the tata fellows would have offered 4x4 in automatic, it would have been an easy choice. Would appreciate any inputs on helping me make a choice between XTA and 4x4.
I love and drive manual cars but the automatic in the Hexa is brilliantly mated and should be in consideration. As you don't off road regularly I would say your first question should be whether you want to go for an Auto or a manual variant. If its the manual you are interested then the 4X4 makes a lot of sense but if you like the auto 4x4 gets eliminated automatically . The Hexa is a RWD so even in 4x2 variant it won't be a slouch in difficult conditions.

If you are still in confusion I would say that if you are buying the Hexa for city as well as highway duties then get the auto else if its going to be a highway mile muncher get the manual 4x4 and make it an off road machine as well
Waspune is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th May 2018, 15:57   #4058

Quote:
Originally Posted by aks_karthik View Post
I am also in same dilemma for months
But inclined over XT 4*4 due to extra safety features like ESP, TC etc which are sorely missed in XTA.
XTA has its own merits, easy on city and relax drive on highway which could not be matched by manual.

Mostly i will book XT 4*4 - 7 seater being an SUV in sea grey coming months.
hope Tata will listen to us and update Hexa with 7+ inch screen in infotainment and push button start, even happy to shelve my money on XTA 4*4 with missed safety features too if they release it by this year or early 2019.
Thank you Karthik. I have waited for more than 4 months and family is tired of my research mode. So its decision time. I have been driving manuals in India and automatics in US. Once I hit a highway, i hardly find a difference between a manual and automatic as the gear will be on 5 or so without much changes. The pain point is city drive and for that I have my driver

Your point was right on the safety features, though a lot of people have discussed about it, I didn't see whether they are crucial or nice to have. May be will never know as their importance will only known during emergencies.
Old 4th May 2018, 16:47   #4059
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Your point was right on the safety features, though a lot of people have discussed about it, I didn't see whether they are crucial or nice to have. May be will never know as their importance will only known during emergencies.
In Manual, Drive modes are working in respect of Engine power, ESP and Torque on Demand.
ESP and TC are aiding us on curvy roads, sudden lane changes and more drive/grip on tarmac as well AWD/4*4 will give more confidence on slush/rough/mountain roads and soft off road drives.

My Vote is to 4*4/AWD as of now.

Last edited by aks_karthik : 4th May 2018 at 16:52.
Old 4th May 2018, 19:14   #4060

Quote:
I love and drive manual cars but the automatic in the Hexa is brilliantly mated and should be in consideration. As you don't off road regularly I would say your first question should be whether you want to go for an Auto or a manual variant. If its the manual you are interested then the 4X4 makes a lot of sense but if you like the auto 4x4 gets eliminated automatically . The Hexa is a RWD so even in 4x2 variant it won't be a slouch in difficult conditions.

If you are still in confusion I would say that if you are buying the Hexa for city as well as highway duties then get the auto else if its going to be a highway mile muncher get the manual 4x4 and make it an off road machine as well
The last sentence is helpful. This will be second car in garage. After much difficulty i shut down my love for thar and also dropped Isuzu. So the 4x4 bug still intact in head and weaving its spell. Looking for a good reason to kill that bug. The safety features part has now tilted it towards 4x4, so the support landing more there. Will there be FE difference just because it has 4x4 functionality?
Old 4th May 2018, 20:22   #4061
BHPian

Quote:
The last sentence is helpful. This will be second car in garage. After much difficulty i shut down my love for thar and also dropped Isuzu. So the 4x4 bug still intact in head and weaving its spell. Looking for a good reason to kill that bug. The safety features part has now tilted it towards 4x4, so the support landing more there. Will there be FE difference just because it has 4x4 functionality?
I guess there won't be difference as its not a full time 4X4. To help tilt you more towards the 4X4, let me tell you that it's way more capable than the XUV AWD. Its unfortunate that people go around calling this an MUV outright instead of a crossover just because of its side profile..
To me, an SUV is something which comes equipped with 4x4 and Hexa is very capable at that! Its just not the GC or side profile (read looks) that go into terming one an MUV/SUV! All the smaller 5 seaters are also referred to as SUVs these days just because of the GC alone! Give credits to where its due!

Last edited by abhi7013 : 4th May 2018 at 20:24.
abhi7013 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2018, 20:51   #4062
BHPian

Quote:
If at all there will be FE differences, they will be minor and shouldn't deter your decision to get the 4x4. Needless to say the 4x4 in the Hexa is quite good. Just upgrade to the AT tyres and you can do a good amount of off-roading.

Last edited by Waspune : 4th May 2018 at 20:53.
Waspune is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th May 2018, 01:27   #4063

Quote:
If at all there will be FE differences, they will be minor and shouldn't deter your decision to get the 4x4. Needless to say the 4x4 in the Hexa is quite good. Just upgrade to the AT tyres and you can do a good amount of off-roading.
Oh! i didn't know the need for AT tires. Should I do it right when I purchase? Also any suggestions for other mods/accessories required? For instance i see they have a downtown package - any thing useful?
Old 5th May 2018, 03:41   #4064
BHPian

Woah !! I had no idea my post would generate ripples like Android vs iPhone.

Anyway I think my points were clear and as elaborate as I could make them. And my comments around the XUV weren’t in isolation but certainly in comparison with Hexa and others in the segment (where unfortunately there aren’t many as of now).

And before I’m misunderstood again without giving explanation since I have already done that before I will succinctly summarize “my” experience (Sorry for including Endeavor even if it is a segment above but I’m pointing out the 3 cars I have been comparing, test driving recently) –

1. Ride Quality (I have never argued Hexa is better than XUV. All I said was XUV isn’t too bad for its class) –
a. Hexa (90%)
b. XUV 1st gen (80%), XUV 2018 (83%)
c. Endeavor (95%)
2. Handling prowess (I just find the body roll a bit more unnerving on Hexa and without ESP and traction control I wouldn’t even try to push my luck. It’s fine for most situations though just not quite there while doing triple digist on highway. City driving I don’t see an issue. May be I’m too afraid due it’s sibling Safari’s stories and not sure of what will happen as soon as I start hustling it a bit, not much) –
a. Hexa (85%)
b. XUV old gen (88%) , XUV 2018 (80%) – Hate the new steering on XUV 2018. M&M shouldn’t have made it ligher than 1st gen model
c. Endeavor (90%)
3. Auto gearbox (XUV’s AT is great after 50kmph but until then I will pick Hexa / Endy 2.2 any day. Hexa has best AT in its class) –
a. Hexa (95%)
b. XUV 2018 (80%) – My 2nd TD on 2018 XUV was an eye opener. I can’t believe how much I underrated that awkward gear ratio on the Auto Box and lag until you hit 50 kmph. Too bad for nipping in dense traffic.
c. Endeavor 2.2 (95%), 3.2 (90%)
4. External Looks (If only exteriors mattered and I have to choose between XUV and Hexa, it will be the Hexa for me. I like the butch SUV looks of XUV but unlike what most people here are forming an opinion about, I’m not a teen who wants to flash an overdone design like XUV) –
a. Hexa (90%)
b. XUV (70%)
c. Endeavor (100%). Sorry I’m blown away by the American muscle.
5. Dashboard top Plastics (Consider top and mid-tier of dashboard) –
a. Hexa (85%)
b. XUV 1st Gen (75%) , XUV 2018 (80%)
c. Endeavor (90%)
6. Dashboard lower plastics and overall cabin except the front of the cockpit (Consider lower half of dash and rest of cabin areas, switches and knobs) –
a. Hexa (75%)
b. XUV (80%)
c. Endeavor (85%)
7. Overall cabin quality = Mean of 05 & 06
a. Hexa (80%)
b. XUV (77%) – I should rate the newer 2018 XUV slightly higher but I’m yet to see how it stands the test of time. My 2nd TD W11 vehicle was still only 1200 kms on ODO.
c. Endeavor (87%)
8. Ergonomics and accessible space for driver (Sorry to say but here the XUV for me slays Hexa but gets beaten up by Endy which is a graceful defeat of David against Goliath) –
a. Hexa (75%)
b. XUV (85%)
c. Endeavor (90%)

Hope this clears any confusion. I have deliberately skipped a few more points I had raised earlier because the idea is to explain the experience and not nitpick and hope people don’t feel offended. Heck, I have been owning a product that has a dedicated niggles thread running into hundreds of pages. But it didn’t offend me though many of those issues weren’t ever faced by me. Instead every post there has helped improve perspectives about the vehicle and find work arounds which otherwise wouldn’t have been possible by getting offended. It too was a more than decent effort by an Indian manufacturer but anyway times change.

The XUV 2018 after my 2nd Test Drive is out of my contention list for certain. Endeavor though for me, even the 2.2 is finger licking good. The point is, wife thinks I don’t have a use for Endeavor. I do infrequent drives to my office (since I work from home on most days) or some place in the City over weekends. On most days I drive it within a radius of 5-10 kms to nearby markets and places. Remainder is kind of quarterly (sometimes even sooner) long drives to destinations that the family wants to go. The premium is desirable but I’m not sure for my usage pattern is it justified for a depreciating asset especially when every 4 to 5 years I feel like changing the car? Heart does say Endy but my financials stretch me too much for a car that I may only enjoy till initial joy runs down, after which I may start repenting my impulsive decision.

Hexa is ticking most of the boxes for me but there are a few humps to cross –

1. I’m in love with the 6 seater version but family thinks 7 seater makes more sense as we can use it as five seater and have enough cargo space. Just how we use XUV as well. I just can’t find a 7 seater version to see it in person. I could get the Concorde motor guys to show me one even in their service center. Hexa’s are still rare to find on the roads we drive near Hosur Road, Electronic City, Bannerghatta Road, etc. and to find a 7 seater config is even more rare.
2. Family sees so less of Hexa on the roads and fees worried about spares, reliability, discontinuation, resale value, etc. We did TD of Aria before we got the XUV, so what happened to Aria is no secret to the family even though they aren’t into automobiles. The overabundance of XUVs on the road for them is kind of more reassuring of the acceptability of the product in the market. Heck, we even spot Endeavors more than Hexa.
3. Longevity of plastics. Though they look premium we saw 3 TD vehicles of Hexa with front seat bottom plastic cover snapped and lots of scratches and stains. I’m certainly believing people saying that with a little more care I shouldn’t see that problem but I won’t deny the hesitation hidden deep below. I have felt at times being short charged on XUV due to the same, so I don’t want to end up feeling the same even on my next vehicle.
4. Lack of ESP, Traction Control, Android Auto, reverse camera with adaptive guidelines, storage spaces at the front are the biggest sore points for me as a driver.

Now if I sell my XUV today with 35k on ODO (I still have a portion of bank loan outstanding on the car) or a year later, I will approximately be making the same amount. Why? Because the lower loan balance I may have to pay next year will be compensated by the depreciation of the vehicle due to 3rd gen XUV launch + more kilometers on ODO + my car getting an year older.

So the confusion is do I buy the Hexa now or wait for Tata H7X (even if it will pricier than Hexa I expect it to be far lesser than Mahindra Rexton G4 or CRVs) or will Tata introduce a minor facelift of Hexa soon? I’ll be damned if I buy the Hexa now and soon a facelift is launched that either gives AT with ESP or center unit with AA and adaptive reverse parking guidelines or both.

So tough to make up my mind. And thanks to everyone for vouching by the Hexa. It’s because of all of you I have come this far. How I wish the choice was as simple for me as it was in 2014 with the XUV.
TORQUE_AANJANEY is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 5th May 2018, 07:40   #4065
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TORQUE_AANJANEY View Post
Now if I sell my XUV today with 35k on ODO (I still have a portion of bank loan outstanding on the car) or a year later, I will approximately be making the same amount.

So the confusion is do I buy the Hexa now or wait for Tata H7X (even if it will pricier than Hexa I expect it to be far lesser than Mahindra Rexton G4 or CRVs) or will Tata introduce a minor facelift of Hexa soon? I’ll be damned if I buy the Hexa now and soon a facelift is launched that either gives AT with ESP or center unit with AA and adaptive reverse parking guidelines or both.
You have mentioned that your XUV has done 35k kms in approximately 4 years of ownership and you still like it. Why not wait an other year and have a look at the H7x as well?

At most you would drive another 10k kms and the XUV is way past the major depreciation period of 3 years. You might lose about 50-75k on resale value not more, considering that it's low mileage and well maintained.

The Hexa may not see a major upgrade at least for the next two years because Tata will be focussed on the other releases and deadlines. Even a different dashboard is an expensive proposal to incorporate a larger screen. The volumes do not justify bringing in an AT with all the safety at a higher price though desirable.

Last edited by discoverwild : 5th May 2018 at 07:43.
discoverwild is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks