Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th May 2018, 08:31   #4156
BHPian

Re: Tata Hexa : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by aks_karthik View Post
it looks good and this model is wider than rest of the models and purpose of side steps is fulfilled for sure. other models are just an ornamental IMO with narrower steps.
This model used to fixed little lower than other models.
please share the GC details before and after the installation. Hope you've measured it.
Yes it is wide and very useful. It is a must if we have elders at home. Initially I thought climbing in and out of Hexa won't be a problem as it is not that tall compared to the Safari Dicor that I had. But I was wrong. For young people it is not a problem but for elderly it is still a tall vehicle and side step became a necessity.

Regarding ground clearance I have no idea what was it before and what it is now. I don't think there would be a huge difference in GC after installing side steps. It will handle our broken roads easily.

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
Looks very nice and flush fitted. at 14k its very well priced for what it offers. There is a large opportunity for car makers and dealers to price their accessories reasonably and earn additional income because most buyers would prefer company fitment as long as it serves the purpose and is at a reasonable premium to after market.

Have you considered painting the wheels smoke grey ?
Yes it is priced decent. Quality is also very good. As of now I haven't planned to get wheels painted smoke grey but I think they will look awesome. Maybe later on I might go in for alloy wheels. But currently no mods planned.

Regards
Old 24th May 2018, 08:41   #4157
BHPian

Has TATA allowed Hexa to be run as taxi already? Saw two different hexas yesterday bearing yellow number plates.
From whatever little I knew, TATA was not going to allow for taxi market to use any of the newer offerings, read Hexa, Tiago, Tigor and the Nexon.

Though there are plenty of Innova Crrysta out there with yellow number plates, seeing a Hexa as taxi made me feel bad.
ObsessedByFIAT is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2018, 09:42   #4158
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsessedByFIAT View Post
Though there are plenty of Innova Crrysta out there with yellow number plates, seeing a Hexa as taxi made me feel bad.
Gone are the days where a car was badged as a taxi when a few popular models were lapped up by the cab industry. In the current scenario, TATA cars are very hard to find as taxis thanks to all the swifts, etios, crystas and micras.

If you notice, these models are also popular in the private market as well. So there's nothing really there to be felt bad for! I used to feel the same way as you! But then, if it means boosting sales numbers over and above the nearest competitor, TATA will have to open up commercial registrations.

Having said that, as they still do not want this, the few cars that you see now could be registered by owners themselves rather than the showroom doing it. Just guessing.
abhi7013 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2018, 10:48   #4159
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRoadie View Post
Finally got side steps installed on Hexa. Purchased them from Tata dealer itself as the quality of these side steps is superb. Aftermarket ones were not at all good. I wanted black side steps only as they look much better and sort of merge with the side cladding. All in all I'm impressed with the quality and the way they look. They cost me 14k. Here are some pics.
Hi congratulations for the new side steps they are really looking good. But looking at the pics and how these are fitted they would definately reduce the ground clearance. But it may not matter if you don't do off- roading. I also got sidesteps fitted from tata showroom. They showed me both these black ones and other ones with a chrome lining. Procedure of fitment of both is different. I selected chrome ones as they did not affect the ground clearance and went well with my car color and extra chrome that I have got fitted.
Gary_Aviator is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2018, 10:56   #4160
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary_Aviator View Post
Hi congratulations for the new side steps they are really looking good. But looking at the pics and how these are fitted they would definately reduce the ground clearance. But it may not matter if you don't do off- roading. I also got sidesteps fitted from tata showroom. They showed me both these black ones and other ones with a chrome lining. Procedure of fitment of both is different. I selected chrome ones as they did not affect the ground clearance and went well with my car color and extra chrome that I have got fitted.
Yes I am not much into off roading thanks to crater like roads in our country. My urge for offroading is taken care by the roads itself. So like you said it will not matter much to me. Can you share pics of the side steps of your Hexa? How much did it cost you?

Regards
Old 24th May 2018, 11:15   #4161
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raghav_K View Post
ESP & TC (blunder by tata!), Hillhold (autobox doesn't really need it i guess), no 4x4 in auto, and no driving modes either. Rest should be the same.
KHT Bangalore calls me once a month (I had TDed the XTA a few months ago). I keep explaining that I need both Autobox (what else in Bangalore!) and ESP. I also tell them there are several others in the same boat. And ask them to give that feedback to Tata Motors.

I also wrote to a generic email ID of Tata's with the same and they responded saying they appreciate the feedback and it will be passed to the product team.

Any one know if they will launch a facelift in the next 6-12 months with this much needed upgrade?
Old 24th May 2018, 15:22   #4162
J D
BHPian

I have been following up on Aria/Hexa for almost 7 years now and after a lot of deliberation went ahead and booked a Crimson Red XUV 500 W11 (O) AWD. So sad, but I waited for more than a year from the launch of Hexa for a facelift with a larger Screen for the infotainment system (cars half the price have), ESP, TC additions, Auto/AT combo etc etc.

I may be wrong, but my feeling is a serious upgrade may never come on Hexa as they have probably already given up hope and are concentrating on H5X/H7X rather than beating a dead horse.

I have followed this thread from the initial days and I can say with certainty that many members will strongly disagree - hey guys open your eyes and look at the sales numbers - if you felt 1000 units is all that was targeted and you are happy Hexa is a success, fine. Good for you and Congrats on the success.

No hope, since I too gave similar feedback to CS, dealership and on FB, no use. They have been very slow to react.

Though I still like the XTA better than any other car in the category and even slightly above range (including the XUV AT which I felt has a too much lag in the 1st and 2nd gear), I decided to go with the XUV Manual AWD due to the technology and features on offer - like Break energy regeneration, start stop, keyless entry, push button start, SUNROOF, larger touch screen, electric driver seat adjust, FLAT FOLDING SEATS, more practical 18" tyres (than the 19").

The XUV also has a 4* rating in ANCAP. Even though the Hexa is a very capable car in many ways, I couldn't find any safety rating on it.

If only Hexa had an Auto/AWD combo I would have gone for it for the sheer satisfaction of the driving experience/pleasure that i got from the XTA (ignoring all other lack of features).
J D is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th May 2018, 18:30   #4163
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by J D View Post
I have been following up on Aria/Hexa for almost 7 years now and after a lot of deliberation went ahead and booked a Crimson Red XUV 500 W11 (O) AWD. So sad, but I waited for more than a year from the launch of Hexa for a facelift with a larger Screen for the infotainment system (cars half the price have), ESP, TC additions, Auto/AT combo etc etc.
This is the dilemma for most of the buyers right now.
Heart is towards Hexa and Head is looking for a car to withstand at least for 5 years to compete with technologies/features.
Hexa is better in all aspects AWD/Torque on Demand / RWD layout, Gear/Clutch and riding, though lack in features with XUV 500 largely.
If someone looking for a raw vehicle without many gizmos, Hexa wins hands down, other hand VFM, no other choice, XUV 500, it is....
My decision is still pending and wish Tata will come up with some upgrade in Hexa.
aks_karthik is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th May 2018, 19:10   #4164
BHPian

Quote:

I may be wrong, but my feeling is a serious upgrade may never come on

The XUV also has a 4* rating in ANCAP. Even though the Hexa is a very capable car in many ways, I couldn't find any safety rating on it.

If only Hexa had an Auto/AWD combo I would have gone for it for the sheer satisfaction of the driving experience/pleasure that i got from the XTA (ignoring all other lack of features).
Congratulations! JD on booking XUV.

You are looking for AWD with AT but still went with AWD MT version in XUV? Have you driven the AWD Hexa MT.

It has TCS and ESP. And there are many videos on you tube which shows that that the AWD RWD Hexa is much more capable than XUV.

Yes, if you need Gizmos than unfortunately Hexa doesnt offer it. For a driver like me, I dont mind turning the key, and feel the large touch screen is more of a distraction.

Drive them back to back over a rough road with craters and you will see the difference.

Good luck again

-PK
pk_del is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2018, 19:17   #4165
BHPian

After loads and loads of contemplation (trust me it's no exaggeration) and thoughts, have finally decided to buy the Hexa XTA Urban Bronze. Taking delivery tomorrow. The Cheetah (my XUV 2014) is still in it's prime but will serve a different master after tomorrow.

There is happiness but at the same time I see the family literally mourning the department of the Cheetah. I never realized that people loved the features and practically of XUV in it's first 2 rows so much. If there would have had been use of 2 massive vehicles, I would have bought the Hexa without really selling the XUV off. But like all things partnerships end. My niggle free (it's a rarity for older XUVs) XUV had been rock solid over any kind of trips, roads or travels. Hoping the Hexa turns out equally reliable. However that unreal acres of space in first 2 rows, cornering lights and a very nimble car like handling will be missed.

Will try to prepare something soon for the Cheetah's departure and Hexa's arrival. Thanks everyone for their opinions that helped shape the decision. Even though the Endeavor 2.2 Titanium was financially feasible, I withdrew at the last minute in the bank submitting papers for it. It was too much money to shell out for my kind of usage. XUV & Hexa are the 2 or may be only 2 vehicles that fit the bill perfectly (may be upcoming H7X can get added to that list).
TORQUE_AANJANEY is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 24th May 2018, 19:36   #4166
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TORQUE_AANJANEY View Post
After loads and loads of contemplation (trust me it's no exaggeration) and thoughts, have finally decided to buy the Hexa XTA Urban Bronze. Taking delivery tomorrow. .
Wow! Congrats.

Following your posts as Iam one among the many in same boat i.e Replacement for a XUV. Don't want to opt for another XUV & Hexa is appealing very much, but stuck with non availability of AT/AWD combo. With another pocket rocket hatch back doing the duties, Iam going bit slow on this.
Old 24th May 2018, 20:11   #4167
J D
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aks_karthik View Post
It looks good and this model is wider than rest of the models and purpose of side steps is fulfilled for sure. Other models are just an ornamental IMO with narrower steps.
This model used to fixed little lower than other models.
Exactly the same feeling - head wins over the heart. But, look a few years down the line, I wouldn't want to be driving the Hexa in its current configuration with features much cheaper and smaller cars have (it will be or rather it probably is already quite dated). Hexa will remain a crush and will look longingly whenever I see one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pk_del View Post
Good luck again
-PK
I was anticipating this question, and again, this was a very thought out decision (at least from my perspective).

I did take a "few" test drives of the Hexa XT. It has some of the missing safety features, but I would not want to deal with the clutch (which I felt had a very long play) and the very very rubbery gear shift. I just cannot think of comparing it with XTA every time I changed a gear.

If I went for an Auto - XTA it would have been, the XUV AT is no where close (again my perspective) in drive feel so ruled out. (hence no XUV AWD AT)

I have driven the XUV for at least 3000 odd KMs and one of them was a hired travels vehicle that had 200,000 KM on the ODO, apart from a minor wheel alignment problem which was irritating, the
Quote:
cheetah
was raring to go in almost all gears. I did feel lag in the 1st and 2nd gears, but the plush new XUV500 seems to better in that regard, the lag seemed to be lesser and
the 2nd gear was
Quote:
more drivable
at varying speeds without needing to change gear, even over speed bumps of varying height.

Ride quality is good in the Hexa; thanks to the kerb weight and the stiffer(?) suspension perhaps. Having driven the pre 2015, post 2015 and 2018 XUV I have felt now the XUV is not far behind in this regard as well - (but aren't monocoques supposed to handle better)?

The slow "off the block" feel I got on the Hexa XT and the "sluggishness" I felt in low RPMs tilted my decision towards XUV (which I felt was slightly better in this department - especially the feel on the gears slotting into place).

Last edited by manson : 24th May 2018 at 20:18. Reason: Typos.
Old 24th May 2018, 20:22   #4168
BHPian

Did a 400km one way trip to our hometown and it performed beautifully with awesome ride. No fatigue to anyone! Some pics after a nice wash! Will share other details after returning home.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Hexa : Official Review-whatsapp-image-20180524-7.57.37-pm.jpeg  

Tata Hexa : Official Review-whatsapp-image-20180524-7.57.37-pm-1.jpeg  

Tata Hexa : Official Review-whatsapp-image-20180524-7.57.37-pm-3.jpeg  

Tata Hexa : Official Review-whatsapp-image-20180524-7.57.37-pm-2.jpeg  

krishnakarthik1 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 24th May 2018, 20:30   #4169
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surprise View Post
Wow! Congrats.

Following your posts as Iam one among the many in same boat i.e Replacement for a XUV. Don't want to opt for another XUV & Hexa is appealing very much, but stuck with non availability of AT/AWD combo. With another pocket rocket hatch back doing the duties, Iam going bit slow on this.
Thank you. I would for sure suggest to resist the temptation to buy the new XUV if you are an existing customer (doesn't matter 1st Gen or 2nd Gen). For me the bigger concerns were lack of AA in Hexa along with very poor parking camera output with no guidelines.

I have a 4x2 XUV and if that didn't get me stuck, chances of getting stuck in a RWD Hexa with much better wheel articulation was even lesser. Lack of ESP is though a tough nut to bite given the sheer size and weight of the Hexa where one wrong move can be pretty dangerous. But that's the gamble I have taken. Except for once in 4 years + of driving XUV, I never had the need for ESP so I think if I'm consciously aware not to push the Hexa I should be fine.

Also my next target could be H7X but before I put 25L+ on a Tata car, I wanted to see how their existing flagship runs plus their after sales support and also see how long term reviews of the H7X come out.

The primary reason for me to sell my XUV in very good condition was to go for an automatic. The automatic in XUV sucked big time. It's dead between 10kmph to 40/50 kmph after which it becomes alive again. That button based manual shifter was so pathetic that as soon as I realized it will be the same on the new Rexton/XUV700, that car also immediately went out of my list (though it gathered my attention after the auto expo). The AT on Hexa is as good as the AT on Endeavor 2.2 (3.2 is actually worse than the 2.2 throughout the lower range / revs). The ride is also comparable to the Endy. So those two things perdominantly along with the fun of a RWD vehicle turned in favor of Hexa.

Not everything is an upgrade even vs the old 1st Gen XUV. You loose a lot of space for legroom (first 2 rows) and storage spaces for the driver seat. There are no cornering lights which are a blessing in dark blind turns (I have got so used to them). So it's a gamble. If you wish to try a Tata product for 4-5 years till either H7X proves it's credentials or some other product in similar pricing enters the competition, Hexa makes sense. Otherwise you could wait, but that wait could be 2 years or more unless you wish to buy a product just launched in the market. As an early adopter of XUV I'm sure you would want to go easy on that. Until the next 2-3 years I don't see a product in this price range with a butch look coming and challenging the XUV or Hexa's VFM quotient.

Last edited by TORQUE_AANJANEY : 24th May 2018 at 20:32.
TORQUE_AANJANEY is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th May 2018, 08:42   #4170
BANNED

Quote:
Congratulations on your purchase and I strongly believe you have done the right thing by picking a car which matches your requirement.

Personally, though I own an Aria and am more than satisfied with the car, I am not happy with the way Tata have gone about the Hexa. Considering that it is based on the Aria, there are so many things that could have been bettered before the launch itself. Launching the entry level variant only in white with no body colored door handles and mirrors and then going on to say no taxi registrations was absolutely stupid. Those 1950' wheels on the XM/A trims costing 16-18L is nothing less than a joke.

Despite so much of feedback from customers, media personnel; not having at least ESP on the top automatic trims even now shows the company attitude clearly. During one of the customer interaction meetings with top folks of Tata, upon me asking about the NCAP rating, the answer I got was it is internal data and cannot be disclosed. Post that I am really apprehensive as to how this vehicle will fare in a crash. Reminds me of an egoistic shopkeeper telling "Sir, this is what I have - it's up to you to take it or not".

I wish Tata folks get enlightened one fine morning and go back to the drawing board and launch a face lift version with proper variant/feature spacing (not saving all the goodies for the top variant alone), upgraded infotainment system (read:screen size), more practical choice of wheels and the much awaited ESP/TCS on the top end auto.

Rest of the things like having a new stiff yet light chassis which can get them a good NCAP rating, flat folding seats, bit more punchier engine may be bit too much to ask for for a mid-life face-lift and we may have to wait till the H series make it to production.
Kishen.padiyar is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks