Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 25th May 2018, 10:23   #4171
BHPian

Re: Tata Hexa : Official Review

I recently rented an Hexa from Zoomcar for a trip to Goa and came away impressed with the vehicle.

One question i have is - is there some electronic wizardry going on which keeps the revs up even when the foot is taken off the accelerator; or is it due to the large flywheel? (Hexa 5 speed manual)

Consider the scenario where you are cruising on the highway @100kmph and you need to slow down due to a vehicle in front of you. When you take the foot off the accelerator, i expect the engine breaking to gently drop the speed without requiring a soft touch on the brakes.
However, with the hexa, the vehicle keeps coasting at the same speed without any noticeable drop in revs or the speed. It ultimately slows but not at the expected rate.
My comparison is with my daily driver which is a diesel fiat linea.

Anyone else observed it?
Old 25th May 2018, 10:49   #4172
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihrishi View Post
I recently rented an Hexa from Zoomcar for a trip to Goa and came away impressed with the vehicle.
That's common to almost all big diesels with loads of torque at the low end. It improves drivability but it also means engine breaking will only happen if you drop a gear and get your foot off the accelerator.

What you experienced, happens on my XUV as well. In fact it was a big change to get adjusted to when I moved from a petrol hatchback to XUV. Often I would find in 3rd gear even on an incline, the vehicle accelerating without the foot on the accelerator till so much momentum is lost that it leads to lugging and eventually vehicle stopping with a shudder. It takes time to get used to torquey big diesels, especially ones with a lot of low end grunt.

The vehicle behaved as it should have.

Last edited by ampere : 27th May 2018 at 15:27. Reason: Trimmed quoted post
TORQUE_AANJANEY is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th May 2018, 11:09   #4173
J D
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kishen.padiyar View Post
Congratulations on your purchase and I strongly believe you have done the right thing ...
Thank you @Kishen!

I am sure the Hexa owners are quite happy and I am happy for them, but the mood seems to be changing now - the posts on this forum seem to suggest some dissent on Tata for not being proactive (probably not on Hexa yet) - hope T can act, soon on the feedback.

For me, the sheer VFM quotient of the XUV tilted my decision in its favour. For 20 big ones one can expect to adjust at least the driver seat with a touch of the button rather than pushing and pulling and pumping. The sunroof and the TPMS (most don't see it as a feature they need when buying the car, but are ready to part with some extra money to install it after market). Not to mention the "speed breaker of a driveshaft tunnel and the awkward looking non-flat folding seats, convenience of the keyless entry, and push button start, etc, etc.

People say the two are equally priced, but how much is that (above discussed) and many other extra features of the XUV worth?

Again, this is just a personal choice, one can like a car for some particular reason or no reason at all!

Happy revving guys!
J D is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th May 2018, 11:45   #4174
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by J D View Post
People say the two are equally priced, but how much is that (above discussed) and many other extra features of the XUV worth?
This is a classic example of what we were discussing a few pages back! Out of the two types of buyers, you value features and "perceived convenience" higher than the driveability of a car. Most owners here however, give precedence to the ride they experience rather than a few features which can anyway be installed later. You can't do that to the dynamics of a car!

No one is right or wrong. As you said, its entirely on what one values and is happy with. Regarding change of attitude in this thread to becoming negative, i didn't understand!

Yes there's no auto with AWD. But does it make a difference, taking into reference the low sales numbers of XUV awd auto? And yes, a few safety features are amiss in the XMA/XTA. Also the sales numbers are around a 1000 units. If these are the reasons, then these facts were known to us rite from the day of launch and inception of this thread! Hence i don't understand what went wrong in the last few posts to claim that its getting negative!

To conclude, a Hexa appeals to a certain set of people in a way the XUV cannot even come close to. Same goes for the XUV as well. Its just that you like to have your cars loaded with bells and whistles and you're happy with your purchase and that's what matters in the end! Happy ownership!

Last edited by ampere : 27th May 2018 at 15:24. Reason: Trimmed quoted post
abhi7013 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 25th May 2018, 15:19   #4175
J D
BHPian

Hey, most of the features are not "perceived" conveniences - they "ARE".

I would have liked to buy a Hexa with these features rather than without - let me rephrase, if Hexa was available with and without these features which will you go for? Again, personal choice, but at least they should have given an option. Ridiculous to point at the 10 JBL speakers when one asks why the touch screen is so puny for such a huge car.

The feel good on drivability and handling is a perception. I don't know if you can rate it on a scale like an ODO or Speedo. If it feels good, then it feels good. Lot of guys are saying it and I will agree about the planted feel Hexa gives on the highway, but the 2018 XUV according to me is not far behind in these departments. In fact, I would say gear change feel on XUV is better (difficult to forget the rubbery feel on 4 different manual Hexas I tried) and so is drivability in city traffic conditions (read range in 2nd gear).

The only grouse is, Hexa could have had most of these not so costly features built in OEM to have more appeal - what I don't understand and cannot take is the "chalta hai" attitude we are forced to take due to lack of other options in the price range.

No doubt the XTA is a class apart, maybe even a few notches higher and I would have gone for the XTA if it had ESP & TC - that I cannot fit after market. "Such a joke the Aria Pure LX did not have ABS - to save cost what else."

Thank you for the wishes and again; these are my own views and what led to my decision, some of them may not be accurate or right according to others, but my decision is made and I am just happy about it.
J D is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th May 2018, 20:14   #4176
BHPian

Cross posting from ownership thread to ensure maximum views.
Quote:
So the AC blower stopped working last weekend on the highway. Switching through the modes would again start the blower but it did shut down once again. It happened twice and never repeated again. But still thought of taking the car to the service station. As am typing this, there's a huge smile on my face! Read on to know why!

1. Raised a complaint on Monday on the TATA app at 9pm. Got a call on Tuesday at 10am with an appointment on Saturday. SA knew the issue right away.

2. Arrived at the station to know that a new ECU update has been released. Was excited and asked them to go ahead. Enquired on the interior cleaning charges and was quoted 1600 with roof fabric wash as well. Declined it. Requested for a foam wash though.

3. Got a call that the car was ready in the evening today and went to pick it up. Guess what, the foam wash and interior cleaning were done free of charge! They didn't do the roof fabric wash but who cares? The car smells and feels clean and all i had to spend with a repaired AC, wash and interior cleaning was 15rs! That 15rs was for a broken bonnet bush.

Drove the car home and was impressed with the power delivery. Earlier there used to be power spikes post the lag. But now, its just one sweet pull u get all the way till 2.5k rpm! This has further improved the drive quality of the car as there are no sudden jerks. ZERO rattles by the way. The engine is more peppier and overtakes are a lot more easy. Never enjoyed driving in city as much as this!

As usual, went through the dashcam footage to find the entire process handled professionally. Hope people realise the honest efforts put in in the after sales by TATA and the few rogue dealers closed down soon. Stay tuned for more updates on our big boy!
abhi7013 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 27th May 2018, 12:28   #4177
BHPian

Small 1000 kms trip report in a one month old XTA:

While going it was a 400 km drive and we had 3 adults and one kid. Got a mileage of 15.5 with 320 kms of 4 lane highway and 80 kms of 2 lane road with traffic.

200 kms of drive nearby towns and inside the town returned a mileage of 13.

While returning we loaded the hexa with 7 adults and four 25kg rice bags, 3 big suitcases, 2 laptop bags and some other small stuff. Don't even ask or imagine how we managed to do it. We just wanted to push the vehicle to the tilt. A 5'9er and 5'6er sat at the back. Of-course we stopped a lot, had fun and took 9 hours to drive a 5 hour stretch. It returned 14.1 kmpl. Got the tire pressure to 41 before the start of the trip.

Observations:
1. There is no strain on the engine even with such load.
2. AC chills in no time and was always on at 16.
3. Used cruise control for more than 200kms and those who feel its not a worthy feature in India have no idea.
4. Fasttag is a boon. It was forced on my by the dealer but what a peace of mind. Do get one.
5. The folks in the last row have an Octavia as a daily driver and had no body aches after the trip. We were all fresh infact.
6. Strange now looking back, but we never turned on the infotainment system the entire trip.
7. Spotted 8 other hexas the whole trip. All XTA's!!
krishnakarthik1 is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 27th May 2018, 14:36   #4178
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krishnakarthik1 View Post
Small 1000 kms trip report in a one month old XTA:
Great to hear that you enjoyed. I am also on a trip in my 15 days old XTA. From chandigarh to Amritsar with four people and luggage I got 13.7 KMPL. Mainly 4 Lane highways. I have nitrogen in tyres @ 35 PSI in front and 37 PSI in rear tyres. Is the mileage OK or less?

Last edited by ampere : 27th May 2018 at 15:22. Reason: Trimmed quoted post
Old 27th May 2018, 16:33   #4179
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary_Aviator View Post
I got 13.7 KMPL
I think it's fine but I am as new to hexa as you are so some other long term users might want to comment. Considering the fact that the ARAI claimed is 17 and still not serviced even for the first time, I think its very decent.
krishnakarthik1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th May 2018, 20:56   #4180
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihrishi View Post
Consider the scenario where you are cruising on the highway @100kmph and you need to slow down due to a vehicle in front of you. When you take the foot off the accelerator, i expect the engine breaking to gently drop the speed without requiring a soft touch on the brakes.
However, with the hexa, the vehicle keeps coasting at the same speed without any noticeable drop in revs or the speed. It ultimately slows but not at the expected rate.
My comparison is with my daily driver which is a diesel fiat linea.
Hexa is heavy, so it has lot of momentum which will keep it rolling. In the top gear your engine is at barely twice the idle speed at 80 kph, so engine can be held at that rpm by the cars momentum.
Drop a gear and notice the effect of the engine braking.
Rahul Rao is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th June 2018, 14:26   #4181
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by krishnakarthik1 View Post
ARAI claimed is 17
Are you sure it is 17 per ARAI? I recollect that it is in the range of 14.XX and that too for the XE variant with lower power and torque figures.
Old 4th June 2018, 20:15   #4182
BHPian

So friends I am at the crossroads forced by NGT!
My Toyota Innova G4 is turning 10 in August 2018 which means I can no longer be confident taking it out with family post August for the fear of challan/confiscation etc in Delhi. I live in Noida.

A longlist for 7 seater options quickly threw up a shortlist of 3 options

Hexa XTA
Innova Zx AT
XUV AT W11

I have spent the past 2 weeks in various car dealerships questioning the sales and service persons, spent hours pondering over team-bhp review pages which run more than 200 pages long for any of the models and then spent time behind steering wheels of the three beautiful cars.
Innova
I have driven Innova for 10 years and it is difficult to move away from a car that has NEVER given me any problem...I guess it is good for another 150k even today. The ZX AT drives like what I imagined a Toyota automatic will - stable, responsive and business like. Pros For me: the Toyota confidence, the electric seat adj on driver side, known service experience.
Cons: The price is very steep. Specially compared to the competition.

Hexa
Pros: best ride quality amongst the 3 hands down. I am also blown away by the looks and sturdiness(through lesser chrome would have been better). Spacious. Very stable city drive. Interior build quality very impressive.
Cons: Stories of how Tata service may be a hit or a miss. I just hope it does not become a roadblock for me!!

XUV:
Pros: Sedan like SUV. All bells and whistles
Cons: FW drive, no space for luggage in the back after using 3 rows of seating and I dont like the tiger claw shaped door handles.

I still have around 1 month to decide and then 1 month to get the car with me before the August deadline. Need your expert opinion and advise. Thanks
caramit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th June 2018, 22:32   #4183
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by caramit View Post
]
A longlist for 7 seater options quickly threw up a shortlist of 3 options

Hexa XTA
Innova Zx AT
XUV AT W11

Innova
Cons: The price is very steep. Specially compared to the competition.

Hexa
Cons: Stories of how Tata service may be a hit or a miss. I just hope it does not become a roadblock for me!!

XUV:
Cons: FW drive, no space for luggage in the back after using 3 rows of seating and I dont like the tiger claw shaped door handles.
Based on what you have concluded, Hexa is the best option, I would say.
Not to be judgemental, but the only "con" you mentioned is coming out of "perception" and people feedback who have never been to Tata showroom or service center in the last couple of years.

Also, you would have noticed a lot of good things about Hexa and other new age TML product line. So, I wouldn't worry about it at all.

Go for Hexa and I am not from TML brand.
Good luck!
kaviprem is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th June 2018, 23:36   #4184
BHPian

Did a 1300 km drive in my 20 days old XTA. Route: chandigarh - Amritsar - Pathankot-Dalhousie - Palampur-Dalhousie - Chandigarh. The car is amazing. Loved the drive. Got a mileage of 8 to 9 kmpl in mountains (max speed about 35) and about 14 kmpl on straight highways. My tungsten silver XTA was a head Turner. Many even walked up to me and enquired about the vehicle I have fallen in love with it. Steering does feel hard in mountainous terrain at low speeds. But it's manageable.
Gary_Aviator is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th June 2018, 00:00   #4185
BHPian

Perceptions vary. As per my experience, hyundai and Toyota after sales were pathetic compared to TATA. It could be surprising but in Bangalore, the service response from many dealers is amazing and your feedbacks are valued.
Regarding XUV feeling sedan like, trust me, if you have a laid back driving posture, then Hexa cabin and the feel of the SUV in city will make u feel you're in a true sedan. Its more planted on the highways as well.
abhi7013 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed