Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 8th October 2018, 17:54   #4381
BHPian

Re: Tata Hexa : Official Review

Tata Motors has launched a new variant in Hexa lineup. Its called Hexa XM+. Its priced at 15.27 lakhs ex showroom Delhi. It gets following features - :

1) Rain sensing wipers
2) Automatic Headlights
3) Reverse parking sensor with camera
4) New foglamps
5) Fully automatic Climate control with dual AC
6) 16" Charcoal grey alloy wheels
7) Leather wrapped steering wheel
8) Cruise control
9) Electrically adjustable and foldable ORVMs

Last edited by HappyRoadie : 8th October 2018 at 18:13.
HappyRoadie is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 8th October 2018, 20:30   #4382
BHPian

Hexa is going to be cannibalized.

I was in market for a 7 seven seater SUV. Hexa certainly looked better option than XUV but then Harrier news came in and I halted my decision. Harrier in news is doing worse harm to Hexa than anything else. Harrier production should have been in stealth mode.

Someone should tell Tata "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk!" (The good, the bad and the ugly; 1966)
pahwa is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th October 2018, 22:40   #4383
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pahwa View Post

I was in market for a 7 seven seater SUV. Hexa certainly looked better option than XUV but then Harrier news came in and I halted my decision. Harrier in news is doing worse harm to Hexa than anything else. Harrier production should have been in stealth mode.

Someone should tell Tata "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk!" (The good, the bad and the ugly; 1966)
On a lighter note, isn't it good that you are able to halt your otherwise final decision in hope of a better 7-seater, and if it's true, nothing like it

I think people who have bought and are happy with Hexa don't care what is next from TML and would recommend others to buy next gen Harrier for sure. People who bought Hexa and aren't happy with it, will stop others from buying Harrier. People who haven't bought Hexa will look for opinions of Hexa buyers or at least scout for general market perception about Hexa. So my take is that, what matters more to TML is how happy their Hexa customers are. And that's where they should continue to focus if they have common sense. Harrier is still some time away and TML would do better if they continue to serve Hexa customers proactively, promptly, and diligently. If they screw up here, I doubt people would trust TML with their 15L plus hard earned money. And they will continue to empty their pockets at Toyota, Mahindra and probably Jeep.

Last edited by SDP : 9th October 2018 at 09:44. Reason: Typo
iamrightnow is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th October 2018, 00:19   #4384
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pahwa View Post

The Harrier (coming soon) is NOT a 7 seater, The H7X is still some time away...
Dr.Suraj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th October 2018, 00:05   #4385
BHPian

I would like to share my terrible experience(s) with Tata motors, specifically whilst booking the Hexa.

So I had decided to book a Hexa and called up TAFE motors, chennai. They said they will assign a sales advisor for me and he will call me back. It's been two years and I still have not heard from them. Meanwhile, I decided to try Tata's own showroom, Concorde motors. I went up to the Velachery showroom as it's a huge one, even though Ambattur is nearer to me. I went inside the showroom, waited for 30 minutes for atleast one person to ask me what I was looking for. Nothing. I left. Decided not to go to OMR as they appeared to be lethargic, when I had to cancel a previous booking with them, they took 6 months to refund the money and I had to involve Tata motors helpline.

Tried Ambattur and made a booking with them for a Tata Hexa XT in November, 2017. A couple of weeks later I got to know that I may be going abroad for my career and decided to hold the booking till I get a clear idea. In March 2018 I decided to stay here and wanted to continue with my pursuit of the Hexa. Called them up and asked them to place a new order. They said for some reason I had to make a new booking and the old one would be refunded. So went ahead and paid for the new booking and asked them to let me know when the car arrived at the yard so that I could do a PDI. I was informed that it wasn't possible to do a PDI, and I could only see the vehicle after it has been registered in my name. That raised a red flag. Were they trying to sell me a demo vehicle? Or worse, a test drive vehicle? Still decided to give them the benefit of doubt and asked for the VIN number. Apparently that couldn't be shared as it's against company policy. And that is when I decided that it wasn't to going to happen and decided to cancel my booking. Tata can make great vehicles, but as long as they still have dealers who still operate like it's 1998, they are not gonna go anywhere.

I went ahead and brought home a 2018 Honda City VMT in May 2018. Happy with my choice. The experience at Honda was miles ahead and I certainly feel like I made the best choice. Service isnt top notch, but then, I'd be needing the service less at Honda.

Back to the topic, I was refunded for only one of my bookings, and that too only after calling up the Tata helpline(Again). The other booking seems to be an eternal mystery. First the booking was somehow lost. Then they found it and refunded 9000, but I had paid 11,000. Apparently they SA had pocketed the 2000 and now I'm chasing after him to return my money. Word of advice here, never ask the SA to come home and make the booking. Always go to the showroom and pay at the cashier there. Never trust your SA.

And with the number of times I'm having to call up the customer care for basic things like booking amount refund, it just scares me to think what would have happened if I had actually bought the car. I would have had to call them up for each and every issue. I have heard of lot of positive experiences with the members of this forum and that's why I decided to go with the Hexa, but as the review says, it's a bit of a hit or miss with Tata, in service and sales.

My Honda city will serve me for 5 years and then I'll move upmarket. I had planned for the Hexa to be a 10 year car and it wasn't to be.

No offense meant to existing owners, but you are all really lucky to have a good car and a good dealer. It just wasn't meant to be for me. And in the future I am not gonna touch a Tata with a barge pole. I still feel a bit sad when I see a Hexa on the road, but the peace of mind I get from my Honda is worth more than anything else.

Anyone choosing a Tata, please just think twice before you make the jump. I don't think we have great Tata dealers in Chennai like Prerana motors in Bangalore. And that is the most important aspect of a car purchase. A good dealer.

Last edited by navin : 11th October 2018 at 13:03. Reason: typo
esoticoreventon is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 11th October 2018, 07:22   #4386
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esoticoreventon View Post
I would like to share my terrible experience(s) with Tata motors, specifically whilst booking the Hexa.

Anyone choosing a Tata, please just think twice before you make the jump. I don't think we have great Tata dealers in Chennai like Prerana motors in Bangalore. And that is the most important aspect of a car purchase. A good dealer.
Sorry to know about the experience. Even if it may me a one off case, Tata Motors must take the cognisance of the incidence.

However, we cannot generalise the issue. And this is true for all experiences of our life. You may find mostly happy customers of TML here including me. In fact I have examples of not very good experiences and careless behaviour from Honda and Toyota also.
kbishwa is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th October 2018, 07:24   #4387
BHPian

Quote:
I have always thought Concorde motors was the best in Chennai and have had a good experience with them so far. Got my Nano 4 years back from them and now eyeing on Nexon, so far they are very good in follow ups. Hopefully it stays this way.
knaveen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th October 2018, 08:25   #4388
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbishwa View Post
However, we cannot generalise the issue. And this is true for all experiences of our life. You may find mostly happy customers of TML here including me. In fact I have examples of not very good experiences and careless behaviour from Honda and Toyota also.
I am absolutely not generalising. In fact, I merely shared my experience and just advised caution before any purchase of a Tata vehicle. And regarding the Honda and Toyota experience, would you go back and buy a Honda or a Toyota? You probably wouldn't, and I suppose you would advice the same to others!

Quote:
Originally Posted by knaveen View Post
I have always thought Concorde motors was the best in Chennai and have had a good experience with them so far. Got my Nano 4 years back from them and now eyeing on Nexon, so far they are very good in follow ups. Hopefully it stays this way.
Yeah, it's always a hit or miss with Tata. That's why I tried 4 different dealerships before throwing in the towel, but all experiences were sour and I just don't want to go back to them. Concorde is owned by Tata and it was still a let down for me. I think if it's has been good for you, it would stay the same, hopefully. All the best!

Last edited by khan_sultan : 5th February 2019 at 11:53. Reason: edited post for better readability
esoticoreventon is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th October 2018, 09:43   #4389
BHPian

Quote:
Yeah, it's always a hit or miss with Tata.
May be, but complaints and resolution are getting better.

Incidentally, my experience with Capital Honda was bad. Was looking for an automatic hatchback (before deciding on Nexon) as a replacement for my Nano. Was considering Grand i10 and Brio. Went to Capital Honda, folks were least interested. Everyone was busy on the new Amaze. No display car, no test drive car. Finally a sales executive handed over the price list and wanted me to book the car. When asked for a TD, they did not have a car and informed that they will reach out once a car is available, so far no call back.

In comparison, Toyota was the best so far, the sales executive was pleasant even though I was enquiring a used car (U trust), he connected me with used car rep and was all ears on the queries that I had on Etios and Yaris. They we're offering TDs without me asking.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 5th February 2019 at 11:54. Reason: edited post for better readability
Old 11th October 2018, 10:13   #4390
BHPian

Quote:
Back to the topic, I was refunded for only one of my bookings, and that too only after calling up the Tata helpline(Again). The other booking seems to be an eternal mystery. First the booking was somehow lost. Then they found it and refunded 9000, but I had paid 11,000. Apparently they SA had pocketed the 2000 and now I'm chasing after him to return my money. Word of advice here, never ask the SA to come home and make the booking. Always go to the showroom and pay at the cashier there. Never trust your SA.
Hi that's so sad hearing about the bad experience you had with the Tata motors. I suggest that you write an email to them stating that if you don't get your rs 2000 back you will file an FIR for cheating. Wait for the reply. If not satisfied go ahead and file a FIR.

Last edited by SDP : 11th October 2018 at 15:57. Reason: Fixed broken quote
Old 11th October 2018, 15:05   #4391
BHPian

Tata Hexa XM+ has almost all the features of XT, it misses out on:
- Automatic gearbox
- 4x4
- 19 inch Alloys
- Rear Luggage step plate (gets Ebony Black)
- All Express-Down Windows (gets Driver only)
- Smart USB Charging (2nd Row)
- Premium Benecke-Kaliko™ Upholstery
- 10 Speaker JBL system (gets 8 speaker)
- 6 airbags (gets 2 airbags)

Last edited by GTO : 12th October 2018 at 07:42. Reason: Removing 'only' as it's quite a long list
amrutmhatre90 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th October 2018, 18:22   #4392
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRoadie View Post
Tata Motors has launched a new variant in Hexa lineup. Its called Hexa XM+. Its priced at 15.27 lakhs ex showroom Delhi. It gets following features - :
Just what the doctor ordered. This makes the lineup more complete by plugging the huge gap between XM and XT. A few of us were discussing the need for such a variant some months ago. Whether this improves sales is another matter.
AkMar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th October 2018, 19:43   #4393
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkMar View Post
Just what the doctor ordered. This makes the lineup more complete by plugging the huge gap between XM and XT. A few of us were discussing the need for such a variant some months ago. Whether this improves sales is another matter.
This is a good step albeit too little and too late I feel. And the chasm is as wide and deep as it was between XMA and XTA, which is disappointing. I wonder why they couldn't introduce both XM+ and XMA+.
iamrightnow is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2018, 00:27   #4394
Senior - BHPian

I feel that Hexa is a vehicle bought by discerning people. People who are successful, urbane, yet earthy. The kind who do not give in to hype and fluff. That is why they are pretty well driven, rarely do we find one blinged out, with a "Guntha Mantri" (a species unique to this area) at the wheel of one. Unfortunately, people like these are few and far in between, and that reflects in the sales numbers.
Main reason, in my extremely humble opinion, is the too UV-ish snout. I am sure it was designed out of some compulsion to fit in the Aria frame.
Imagine how much easier it would have been to be a "heart" decision, as much as it is a "brain" decision, if it had a squarer jaw and snout, and a scowl on its gritty face instead of a smile.

Something like this, on which my inner 3 year old spent eleventeen seconds in paintbrush during boring office calls. Some squinting is required, but you get the rough idea of what I am talking about.

Tata Hexa : Official Review-tatahexasideview-1.jpg

Would it be more palatable to the masses then?
sajo is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th October 2018, 10:55   #4395

Hello!

I just got my Hexa XMA on Wednesday and drove it home. Today I brought it to office on my first drive.

I drove at a very sedate pace all throughout but at a signal, I accelerated a wee bit hard for about 2-3 seconds. The cabin was filled with some burning smell. There was some lingering smell near the bonnet even when I parked about 15 minutes later.

Is this something to worry about?

Thanks
Abhijit

Most Viewed