Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th October 2018, 18:04   #4411
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Tata Hexa : Official Review

Am I correct in assuming that AT versions would be 3.5-4 kmpl less fuel efficient that the MT versions of Hexa. This is what I am gathering from the thread reviews.

The confusion is because ARAI seems to show 17.6 for both and some are mentioning a big difference and others a small 1kmpl. Obviously it would be rare to own both.

Last edited by ACM : 18th October 2018 at 18:26.
Old 18th October 2018, 20:25   #4412
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
Am I correct in assuming that AT versions would be 3.5-4 kmpl less fuel efficient that the MT versions of Hexa. This is what I am gathering from the thread reviews.

The confusion is because ARAI seems to show 17.6 for both and some are mentioning a big difference and others a small 1kmpl. Obviously it would be rare to own both.
The Automatic Hexa delivers around 12kmpl on city roads and about 14-15 on highways if driven below 80 kmph. The manual might be slightly more, but not much. The good thing about the Hexa is that the mileage suffers only when it is driven at high speeds (>110). Between 80-90, in sixth gear, the car cruises at less than 2.2k RPM and is quite fuel efficient.
Nissan1180 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th October 2018, 01:19   #4413
BHPian

Quote:
Am I correct in assuming that AT versions would be 3.5-4 kmpl less fuel efficient that the MT versions of Hexa.
I own an AT, from my experience it's easy to get around 15 on highway. Hell I've squeezed in 20 at times if you are adventurous to meditate while driving. In the stop go Bangaluru peak hour traffic, getting twin digits is a fairytale.
doxinboy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th October 2018, 09:26   #4414
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nissan1180 View Post
The Automatic Hexa delivers around 12kmpl on city roads and about 14-15 on highways if driven below 80 kmph.

I don't think you have a Hexa. The last one I was in showd average of 7kmpl predominantly chennai city usage.
4x4addict is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2018, 09:50   #4415
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
I don't think you have a Hexa. The last one I was in showd average of 7kmpl predominantly chennai city usage.
You're right-hand I don't, my parents do
Driving habits and traffic affect the mileage a lot. This figure was for Ahmedabad which may have less traffic and wider roads compared to some other cities. And it was driven by a relatively sedate driver.

Last edited by Nissan1180 : 19th October 2018 at 10:12.
Nissan1180 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2018, 10:58   #4416
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
The last one I was in showd average of 7kmpl predominantly chennai city usage.
The usuall city stop go traffic with speeds not exceeding 30 kmph, and frequent braking will result in lower mileage numbers. When driven above 35-40 kmph for a considerable distance will give between 9-10 kpl easily. As this AT gearbox has a lock up clutch it gets engaged around the 35-40 kmph mark. Below that speed the inefficiency of the torque converter comes into play. The trick here is to be really gentle on the throttle while moving of from standstill and not mashing the throttle more than required. On 17th October got a mileage of 14.2 kpl tankfull to tankfull for a 660km trip from Bangalore to Vijayawada driving between 100-110 and AC set to 23 degrees ECON mode.
I always fill up from COCO petrol or Reliance pumps. My Hexa is a March 2017 model with 22000km on ODO.

Last edited by damodar : 19th October 2018 at 11:09.
damodar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th October 2018, 11:18   #4417
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

The question really is about the difference in Fuel Effecuency of AT vs MT in the SAME conditions.

All the figures that are being mentioned do not help in the comparative difference figure which is required to decide between buying an AT or a MT.
Old 19th October 2018, 11:26   #4418
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The question really is about the difference in Fuel Effecuency of AT vs MT in the SAME conditions.

All the figures that are being mentioned do not help in the comparative difference figure which is required to decide between buying an AT or a MT.
The selling point of the AT is convenience. And the fact that it is a lot more ergonomically sorted than the MT. For pure economy, a well driven 6 speed manual will always be better than a 6 speed torque converter. As an XTA owner, take my word for it, go for the manual only if you have a full time driver.
Shreyans_Jain is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th October 2018, 11:43   #4419
BHPian

Quote:

I have driven a manual HEXA of my friend for over 1000km and I can state that in city driving the manual is more efficient by 1-1.5 kpl. In mixed driving conditions like 2 lane country roads and fast highway stretches there is nothing between the two. That said it's easier to extract extremely good mileage numbers on roads with less traffic in a manual as the ECONOMY mode can be used. In the AT a lot more dexterity with the right foot is needed to get good mileage numbers. In our HEXA owners group the best mileage figures for AT hover around 17kpl and 19kpl for manual on the MID. The actual numbers are lesser by 1.5kpl +/- .5 kpl.

Last edited by damodar : 19th October 2018 at 11:46.
damodar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th October 2018, 11:44   #4420
BHPian

Update: 13 months and 25xxx km later, car is doing fine. It is smooth and refined. No issues till date barring a minor squeak in specific gear/ rpm combination, that too not all the time. It comes from boot door, hope it will get resolved in next service.
After seeing couple of 20kmph trip meter snaps, wanted to try it out myself and managed to get it on a 300km solo trip.
tifosikrishna is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th October 2018, 13:34   #4421

Quote:

My manual Hexa (XE) gave 18 to 19 kmpl consistently (avg FE as per MID data for 1000 km) when driven below 100 kmh speed - this is in highway and small towns mixed.
vnselvaraj is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th October 2018, 21:34   #4422
BHPian

Guys I was thinking of getting chrome garnishing done on my Tata Hexa XMA. Chrome garnish is an official accessory from Tata Motors itself. It will cost me 10k. It will include following-:

1) Chrome on upper part of front grill
2) Chrome on all 4 door handles
3) Chrome on ORVMs
4) Chrome on side cladding
5) Chrome on headlights and rear tail lights
6) And finally a chrome strip on tail gate

Now my question is how is the reliability of these chrome garnishes that are available from the manufacturer. Will the chrome fittings become loose after a period of time? Will they lose their shine with passage of time? Are their any cons of getting this chrome garnishing done? Hope to hear soon.

Thanks
Old 20th October 2018, 22:21   #4423
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trust_In_Thrust View Post
We are having a very bad experience with Tata Motors .We had given our Hexa XTA for minor repair on underside of bumper to AutoVikas , Motinagar Delhi .It is more than a week now and a chance visit to there workshop shows our brand new Hexa full of dust and scratches .They have no business of keeping all windows open and scratching car all over .We regret our decision to go with Tata .All service centres of Tata are like this nearby our place of home and work .
And AutoVikas attitude is like we don't care .
That's disgusting! Did you escalate this to Tata? Via email or twitter?
Dry Ice is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2018, 23:45   #4424
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRoadie View Post
Guys I was thinking of getting chrome garnishing done on my Tata Hexa XMA.
=========
Are their any cons of getting this chrome garnishing done? Hope to hear soon.

Thanks
Avoid chrome on the lights, will make changing bulbs and the lights themselves tougher. The rest is up to you. I will personally avoid changing the grill and side cladding also.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 5th February 2019 at 11:51. Reason: edited quoted post for better readability
digitalnirvana is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2018, 03:01   #4425
Senior - BHPian

Rushlane reports that Tata Motors is offering a discount of up to Rs.98K on buying a new Hexa during this festive season.
AdityaDeane is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks