Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 28th December 2018, 13:20   #4546
BHPian

Re: Tata Hexa : Official Review

Took delivery of my XT 4X4 on 26th. Have barely driven it for 100 odd kms, but loving every bit of it.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Hexa : Official Review-img_20181226_171058.jpg  

Tata Hexa : Official Review-img_20181226_163143.jpg  

Tata Hexa : Official Review-img_20181226_103240.jpg  

Tata Hexa : Official Review-img_20181226_103224.jpg  

Tata Hexa : Official Review-img_20181226_101607.jpg  

nvldvr is offline   (27) Thanks
Old 28th December 2018, 14:27   #4547
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvldvr View Post
Took delivery of my XT 4X4 on 26th. Have barely driven it for 100 odd kms, but loving every bit of it.
Congratulations! Will look forward to a dedicated ownership thread of your beast once you have spent good time with it!
Old 30th December 2018, 22:24   #4548

I had done a 1300 km trip over the last week and Hexa has done very well in this drive (in which 1000 km was in Western Ghats roads) with great suspension. Enjoyed driving Hexa in the scenic and winding rods of the mighty Western Ghats.
I had observed that AC cooling was not effective in the mod-noon time when the outside temperature was 33 degrees and the vehicle was idling. However, once the vehicle starts moving AC becomes effective slowly. Any known issue / reasoning for the AC being ineffective during engine idling time ?
Old 31st December 2018, 08:23   #4549

I've completed 5800KM in my XTA.

I have one complaint - scarcity of spares.

Yesterday I lost 2 tyres simultaneously - a sharp object pierced through the wall of left 2 tyres - in the outskirts of Hyderabad just 300mts from a puncture shop.

I called roadside assistance, which was fairly responsive. They connected me to a service station and the service station manager said Hexa is a rare vehicle and spare tyres, especially of XTA (23555R19) aren't easily available. They arranged a towing truck (Rs.4500). Now the vehicle is in a Service Station. I can't return to Bengaluru till they procure the tyres (I hope they will manage somehow).

Now I am scared of taking XTA on long drives - though I liked driving it.

Switching back to my old Honda city which never failed me in 12 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpyder View Post
Pretty much set my eyes on Hexa XT now. It has been brought out in this thread and other reviews, there is an issue about 19 inch wheels with low profile tyres and the bumpy rides +cost factor (when replacing).

Out of curiosity i began a search for 19 inches replacements. Amazon, Michelin, Yokohama - no website seems to stock this size. Yokohama has max of 18 inches. That means tyre /wheel replacement is not only going to be costly, but also pretty difficult to source. Amazon has some stock costing upwards of 20k a piece!!

My questions now :-
Is it possible/ advisable to downsize (to 16 inches like in xe/xm) at the time of delivery - without voiding the warranty.

As discussed in this thread, are the suspensions actually built to withstand the stress due to low profile and large size tyres?
Cpyder predicted it right. Not easy to get these 19inchers in smaller cities. Even in Hyderabad they aren't easily available.

Last edited by SDP : 31st December 2018 at 09:25. Reason: Merging back to back posts. Please edit or multi-quote instead of back to back posts
cruisecontrol is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st December 2018, 09:48   #4550
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvldvr View Post
Congrats. The blue looks the most awesome, but I think will be difficult to maintain. May plan to add a side step if you have elderly or children in the family. Start a thread for your ownership, keen to see how Tata Motors has evolved from the Indica era.
Old 31st December 2018, 10:32   #4551
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisecontrol View Post
the service station manager said Hexa is a rare vehicle and spare tyres, especially of XTA (23555R19) aren't easily available
Why would you go to a dealership to buy tires?
Hyderabad is a large city with a lot of premium tire stores and I am sure it is possible to get the tires there.

Quote:
Switching back to my old Honda city which never failed me in 12 years.
The Hexa didn't fail you, blowing out 2 tires simultaneously is a clear indication that you didn't notice something significantly dangerous on the road, and hence the incident.

The City would have been in tatters in a similar situation.

Let's not bash a brand for reasons like this.[/quote]
n.devdath is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 31st December 2018, 11:21   #4552
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I've completed 5800KM in my XTA. I have one complaint - scarcity of spares.

Yesterday I lost 2 tyres simultaneously - a sharp object pierced through the wall of left 2 tyres - in the outskirts of Hyderabad just 300mts from a puncture shop....Hexa is a rare vehicle and spare tyres, especially of XTA (235/55R19) aren't easily available. They arranged a towing truck (Rs.4500). Now the vehicle is in a Service Station. I can't return to Bengaluru till they procure the tyres (I hope they will manage somehow).

Now I am scared of taking XTA on long drives - though I liked driving it.Switching back to my old Honda city which never failed me in 12 years. Cpyder predicted it right. Not easy to get these 19inchers in smaller cities. Even in Hyderabad they aren't easily available.
If possible, get the punctures fixed temporarily & buy new tyres from here (they're meant for Hexa).

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
Why would you go to a dealership to buy tires? Hyderabad is a large city with a lot of premium tire stores and I am sure it is possible to get the tires there.

The Hexa didn't fail you, blowing out 2 tires simultaneously is a clear indication that you didn't notice something significantly dangerous on the road, and hence the incident. The City would have been in tatters in a similar situation.

Let's not bash a brand for reasons like this.
Unnecessary personal remarks that a customer who's driven Hexa for ~6000kms didn't notice something will lead to discussions about headlights.

Tyre non-availability is a fair concern IMO. Atleast all TATA ASCs can keep a few spare tyres for emergency so that people travelling can be assisted for a small fee (instead of charging for towing). Those tyres can be collected/exchanged by them through another local ASC or some such way. Afterall, as of date (until Harrier is officially launched) Tata Hexa is still Tatas' flagship product.
GrammarNazi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st December 2018, 11:34   #4553

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammarNazi View Post
If possible, get the punctures fixed temporarily & buy new tyres from here (they're meant for Hexa).

Unnecessary personal remarks that a customer who's driven Hexa for ~6000kms didn't notice something will lead to discussions about headlights.

Tyre non-availability is a fair concern IMO. Atleast all TATA ASCs can keep a few spare tyres for emergency so that people travelling can be assisted for a small fee (instead of charging for towing). Those tyres can be collected/exchanged by them through another local ASC or some such way. Afterall, as of date (until Harrier is officially launched) Tata Hexa is still Tatas' flagship product.
I didn’t mean to complain about this car. I love this vehicle. Especially because it is an Indian brand and a product Indians can be truly proud of. I did mention I loved driving this vehicle. I was also impressed with Tata roadside assistance team which was fairly prompt.

This specific tyre size isn’t readily available (according to the service manager) that’s my concern to take it on long drives.

I need to check if I can replace these wheels with a different size. I’m even okay to go with steel instead of alloy.
Old 31st December 2018, 12:46   #4554

Hello Folks,

I just finished the first service for my Hexa XMA with about 3k on the odo. There was a steering wheel alignment issue (from day one) and then there was the gargle which was quite prominent sometimes.

The service experience with Bafna motors Pune was decent. The steering issue has been rectified and the ECU parameters have been tweaked for the reduction of the gargle. I am yet to test this bit out. The service person said that the turbo is electronic and so the gargle happens. (??)

There really should have been some provision for keeping the phone. Also, the armrest for the driver is almost unusable, which is sad. The AC seems a bit week at noon on hot days (this is still winter). Is this normal? The headlamps are a bit of a disappointment. Is there any way to improve the low beam? I read in the thread that people have shifted to HID's. Is there a model I can ask for?

On the whole, I am loving the car. The ride is very enjoyable and it's a pleasure to drive the Hexa. And thank goodness for the autobox!

cheers,
Abhijit
Old 2nd January 2019, 11:15   #4555
BMK

Quote:
Originally Posted by quasiabhi View Post
Hello Folks,

I just finished the first service for my Hexa XMA with about 3k on the odo. There was a steering wheel alignment issue (from day one) and then there was the gargle which was quite prominent sometimes.
The AC seems a bit week at noon on hot days (this is still winter). Is this normal?

... Is there any way to improve the low beam? I read in the thread that people have shifted to HID's. Is there a model I can ask for?

On the whole, I am loving the car. The ride is very enjoyable and it's a pleasure to drive the Hexa. And thank goodness for the autobox!

cheers,
Abhijit
On the gargle, it is probably feature . With 15k kms and 2 services with ECU updates, it still gargles in mine. Hoping this feature will get deleted in next ECU update.

Your AC behaviour is bit out of sync with my experience. It chills even in summer and will have to increase the temp knob to keep it comfortable inside. get it checked.

Agree on Low beam - it is pathetic. I am looking for compatible replacement than HID. I feel it is rather dull (wattage? Temperature?) And a strain on eyes on long drives. Throw seems to be fine.

Last edited by SDP : 27th January 2019 at 18:18. Reason: Trimming quoted post for better readability
BMK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2019, 11:57   #4556
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by quasiabhi View Post
Hello Folks,

There really should have been some provision for keeping the phone. Also, the armrest for the driver is almost unusable, which is sad. The AC seems a bit week at noon on hot days (this is still winter). Is this normal? The headlamps are a bit of a disappointment. Is there any way to improve the low beam? I read in the thread that people have shifted to HID's. Is there a model I can ask for?

cheers,
Abhijit
AC of Hexa is absolutely fine. It chills even in 42 deg outside temp (tested in Jodhpur). Headlights are a problem though even I am looking for a decent replacement without voiding the warranty!
Gary_Aviator is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2019, 18:19   #4557
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
I have the max coverage 3yr/100k km gold AMC on my Hexa. Total service and maintenance expense till date has been zero. All claim settlements have been instantaneous with no issues whatsoever. 100% peace of mind. My vehicle has done about 55000km. I'll strongly recommend the gold AMC.
IS it 55000 Kms? Can you share a detailed ownership of the vehicle? I am looking to buy a pre-worshipped Hexa AT in Bangalore. I could find 3 -4 Hexa XTA with 27000 kms to 39000 kms.

I would request your feedback on the maintenance and overall condition of SUV after it has run the 55000Kms. I am looking to own the vehicle for 6 - 8 years with an average ride of around 15000 Kms per year.

Any suggestions/comments will be welcome.

Thanks
Old 2nd January 2019, 21:19   #4558
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaNishi View Post
IS it 55000 Kms? Can you share a detailed ownership of the vehicle? I am looking to buy a pre-worshipped Hexa AT in Bangalore. I could find 3 -4 Hexa XTA with 27000 kms to 39000 kms.

I would request your feedback on the maintenance and overall condition of SUV after it has run the 55000Kms. I am looking to own the vehicle for 6 - 8 years with an average ride of around 15000 Kms per year.

Any suggestions/comments will be welcome.

Thanks
Yes, she has done 55k km. A hugely comfortable and solidly built vehicle, tailor made for touring with family or friends.

That I don't have any 'extensive' ownership review as such is a testament to the fact that my experience has been absolutely trouble free. She has started at first crank every single day and has done whatever she's been asked to, with no shenanigans. Total service expense has been zero thanks to gold AMC. This includes the change of brake pads and disks. The only fault that has cropped up was the air intake pipe developing a leak some 6 months back. It didn't cause any performance or driving issue, but the engine gave out a loud and disturbing whistling noise whenever the accelerator was pressed. TASS immediately approved replacing the entire air intake system as well as the turbocharger, no questions asked. Again, the bill amount was zero, though the parts did take a couple of weeks to arrive.

My ownership expense has been the cost of diesel, insurance and a fresh set of tires. Nothing else.

FE has been around 10kmpl overall in mixed conditions.

If you are getting pre loved XTAs, I will encourage you to go for it. I am a happy and satisfied customer. Just get the service history checked at TASS to make sure the vehicle is not accidental and has had the 20000km oil change done

Last edited by Shreyans_Jain : 2nd January 2019 at 21:23.
Shreyans_Jain is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th January 2019, 16:04   #4559
BHPian

Our Hexa completed 15000 kms. Supremely comfortable and very enjoyable ownership with no issues and nothing even to nitpick so far.

Our cousin was performing a Puja and we thought we would go on a small road trip to Rajahmahendravaram. We started around 9 am at Hyderabad and stopped for breakfast after an hour. We are basically foodies and took every opportunity to stop and eat something. Reached destination around 7pm. NH4 from Vijayawada was horrible to say the least with pot holes and lots of traffic.

Next day we took a holy dip in the Godavari river and went on to visit Bikkavolu temple. The afternoon was spent in the ceremony and evening we went to do some shopping and had some excellent rose milk. We also met a silver hexa owner from Orissa who has done 56k kms so far with no issues.

Next day we started off around lunch time and took us a good 10 hours to reach Hyderabad. Google maps ditched us big time during our return journey. We had to travel on some horrible roads. Because of this time delay we got stuck in huge traffic jams in Vijayawada. Vijayawada is pretty much a nightmare these days to drive by.

We traveled in 2 cars, a swift and hexa. Hexa was totally full with 7 folks at all times. For the small bikkavolu trip we loaded 9 folks! Flawless and fantastic ride! Returned a mileage of 13.8 kmpl for the full 1000 odd kms trip. A few pics.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Hexa : Official Review-whatsapp-image-20190104-3.21.37-pm1.jpeg  

Tata Hexa : Official Review-whatsapp-image-20190104-3.21.38-pm1.jpeg  

Tata Hexa : Official Review-whatsapp-image-20190104-3.21.38-pm2.jpeg  

Tata Hexa : Official Review-whatsapp-image-20190104-3.21.37-pm2.jpeg  

Tata Hexa : Official Review-whatsapp-image-20190104-3.21.37-pm3.jpeg  

Tata Hexa : Official Review-whatsapp-image-20190104-3.21.38-pm3.jpeg  

Tata Hexa : Official Review-whatsapp-image-20190104-3.21.37-pm.jpeg  

Tata Hexa : Official Review-whatsapp-image-20190104-3.21.38-pm5.jpeg  

Tata Hexa : Official Review-whatsapp-image-20190104-3.21.38-pm.jpeg  

Tata Hexa : Official Review-whatsapp-image-20190104-3.21.38-pm4.jpeg  

krishnakarthik1 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th January 2019, 16:23   #4560
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krishnakarthik1 View Post
Next day we started off around lunch time and took us a good 10 hours to reach Hyderabad. Google maps ditched us big time during our return journey. We had to travel on some horrible roads. Because of this time delay we got stuck in huge traffic jams in Vijayawada. Vijayawada is pretty much a nightmare these days to drive by.
Have you not followed the route mentioned in the screenshot below to cross Vijayawada ? Even though this is not a good road, but it is the better way to cross Vijayawada now a days. We can use this road only in case we do not have any need of stopping inside Vijayawada city. Even this road is horrible and full of traffic in peak hours .
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Hexa : Official Review-bza.jpg  

Last edited by Hickstead : 4th January 2019 at 16:25.
Hickstead is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed