Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th June 2019, 19:27   #4786
BHPian

Re: Tata Hexa : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranava VS View Post
While I need to verify a lot of details before i jump-in and also have to understand more on the warranties and other details, I still dont know whether this is sensible in anyway.
Hi, please do not I repeat do not go for the 2017 model vehicle which has been lying unused in the stock yard, no matter how sweet a deal it appears to be.

Please change the dealer and go in for a brand new XTA. I personally prefer to stay away from a used car and I will leave that decision to your good judgment.

If at all you decide for a quality used car, please check this forum for any complaints from members regarding quality or service issues a particular model year car has encountered.

Regards
Nikhil
nsbhagwat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th June 2019, 19:40   #4787
Senior - BHPian

A 2 year used car is much better than a car lying unattended in stockyard for 2 years. If at all you go for the old cars, in addition to a heavy discount please ask for all fluids change, rubber parts change and Tata warranty (not dealer warranty). These are absolute must do without which you should not go for the cars.
AkMar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th June 2019, 21:11   #4788
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranava VS View Post
It isnt a typo sir and it is the 2017 model and that's why all the confusion.
Firstly, do invest the time. The first step is only to gain information - do not get completely prejudiced against the proposition from the outset.

By and large, a well-maintained, accident-free and properly run 2 year vehicle should be a more reliable proposition than a vehicle stocked at a dealer's for two years.

But:
1. That shouldn't stop you from finding out about the stockyard vehicle.
2. That doesn't mean you can't get a problem-free vehicle via this route.

Let's take a look at what could go wrong in a parked vehicle. These are to the (limited) best of my knowledge - I hope people will expand on this in order for us to arrive at the best possible decision. I speak as someone who is seeing first hand frustration in a close friend about Tata's idiotic dual-tone only top variant move. He too has started looking at the Hexa (which I've been pushing all along from my side) after seeing through the Harrier's apparent exterior charm.

1. Damage to rubber seals/beadings etc from being out in the sun. Easily fixed by changing rubber and topping up/replacing fluids (experts please advise between topping up and replacing). For plastics/leather/interior surfaces and paint, nothing the right application of the right set of products won't fix. The cumulative UV wear of two years on aesthetics is a factor, but pales in the face of discounts IMO.

2. Damage from rodents/water-logging. A vehicle damaged this way is hard to fix properly and is the most common type of chronically unreliable vehicle. Should be avoided at all costs - this is where most horror stories originate from. Off the top of my head, I remember a Kizashi story on this forum. Fortunately, a thorough inspection can give you a good idea about both of these sources of damage.

Now, here's what you need to find out from the dealer:
1. How was the vehicle stored? Is his yard covered (hopefully) or enclosed (improbable) or entirely open (most likely)? Take a good look. Try and look for signs of rodents in the vicinity. Might well be that the most damaging thing it's been exposed to is the sun.
2. Most importantly, as already mentioned by another member, warranty should be from date of your purchase and from Tata, not the dealer. If that's the case, any further issues (arising from sources other than rodents/water) will most likely come out in the (extended) warranty period and be honoured.
3. Full vehicle story. If you can indeed be the first owner, why haven't they managed to sell the vehicle earlier? Is warranty from Tata as new even possible at this stage?

Of course, employ heaps of caution - always remember that this is the easiest way to a horror story. But also that it's not an inevitable outcome - in fact, far from it. There was a time when I too was afraid of such propositions - but while I haven't had occasion to avail one, a hypothetical discussion with more experienced enthusiasts helped clear my mind. It is when we work on general impressions that such fears arise - once we're armed with sufficient information, one can look for diamonds in the rough and still reasonably hope to not cut oneself.

Advantages:
1. Classy single tone look is preserved.
2. Many features are preserved (multi-colour ambient lighting comes to mind).
3. Better than used price.
4. Better than used condition/feel.

Disadvantages (assuming a trouble-free vehicle):
1. Might be reliable as assessed by due diligence, but might still have initial niggles post pre-delivery replacements. You must be ready to make a few extra trips, stand around, have small stuff replaced etc.
2. No 7 inch touchscreen
3. Horrible, garish chrome garnish is pre-applied (hopefully it can be removed/swapped out).

Go there, have a shufti, if things seem okay, go with someone who has more sense and experience wrt this than the two of us, and then finally reject/accept it. And push hard - if it's clean, you could get an already VFM car at a throwaway price.

Cheers, best of luck and I hope you find the right Hexa at the right price.

I hope Tata takes into account the feedback from multiple posts here. It is BEYOND STUPID of them to be doing this dual tone only nonsense. Someone some posts back said "Tata doesn't deserve your money". I can't help but agree. Their marketing and missteps truly disgust me.

The idiot sales guy who had the audacity to chuckle at a poster's suggestion of dual-tone not befitting the Hexa and its target audience sadly seems like the kind of person behind the marketing team as well.
Mu009 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 5th June 2019, 14:48   #4789
Senior - BHPian

Tata Hexa XTA to lose 19" rims

Thanks to the Team-BHP fan (he prefers to remain anonymous) who sent this information in. Heartfelt gratitude for sharing it with other enthusiasts via this page!

Tata Hexa : Official Review-tatahexa06.jpg

Tata Motors is said to have deleted more features from the Hexa. This time, the XTA variant loses its 19-inch diamond-cut wheels. They are likely to be replaced with 17-inch charcoal grey alloys from June 2019 onwards.

In November 2018, we had reported how Tata was deleting minor features from the Hexa in the name of cost-cutting. Select variants of the SUV lost its dual tail-pipe exhaust, chrome insert on the drive control switch and piano black finish on a/c grill bezel, door trim strip and glovebox strip.

It is not just the Hexa that has lost some of its features. Since launch, the Nexon and Tiago have also lost some equipment, which include deletions like second row 12V socket and USB fast charger in the Nexon to the rear parcel shelf, day and night IRVM and vanity mirror on the co-driver's side in the Tiago.

Link to Team-BHP News
TusharK is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 5th June 2019, 19:05   #4790
BHPian

I for one believe that this switch to 17" is for the better.

The 19" tyres were far too impractical for a vehicle of this class/ size. Many owners faced issued of cut tyres/ bent alloys with 19" with these tyres. Also, availability was another issue, with hardly anyone apart from MRF manufacturing this size.
nvldvr is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 5th June 2019, 20:42   #4791
BHPian

People are extracting 20kmpl with their 4x4 XT Hexa on highway. That too with A/C.

Tata Hexa : Official Review-img_20190605_203950.jpg

Source Tata motors Twitter feed
NaXal is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th June 2019, 08:47   #4792
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaXal View Post
People are extracting 20kmpl with their 4x4 XT Hexa on highway. That too with A/C.

Attachment 1882109

It's not difficult. I get a 18/20 kmpl on the mid, everytime I engage cruise control and keep the speed a constant 80 kmph with air conditioning on. This is on a xta model. Even a constant 100 kmph with cruise control on gives 14/15 kmpl on the mid. The actual average may be about 2 kmpl less.
AirbusCapt is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 6th June 2019, 18:18   #4793
BHPian

Quote:

Attachment 1882109

The MID on Hexa shows the fuel efficiency of a particular trip. Here in the picture, it clearly shows that Trip B is only 50 Kms and hence, the fuel efficiency. If you reset the trip meter and run 50-60 KM, one can easily extract and be mistaken about the overall fuel efficiency. This is very common and not a recommended way to check fuel efficiency.
shivathedude is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th June 2019, 22:02   #4794
BHPian

Quote:

Attachment 1882109

It also shows the efficiency one can gain by driving at a sane speed. Many owners here in this forum have reported similar or slightly less efficiency for a definite distance when the speed was in 80-100 kmph.
On highways one can easily get 15-17 kmpl. City condition is where these calculations doesn't really work well. Specially at places where you have high traffic density like Bangalore, Gurgaon etc. the average efficiency will be around 10. Which, however, is not bad I will say given this is a 2.2 ton heavy vehicle.
busydrive is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th June 2019, 15:23   #4795
Distinguished - BHPian

May sales data shows Hexa's dropping numbers and now is behind Mahinda's MPV,

Tata Hexa : Official Review-3.jpg

Source:Auto Punditz
Old 7th June 2019, 15:43   #4796
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivathedude View Post
The MID on Hexa shows the fuel efficiency of a particular trip. Here in the picture, it clearly shows that Trip B is only 50 Kms and hence, the fuel efficiency. If you reset the trip meter and run 50-60 KM, one can easily extract and be mistaken about the overall fuel efficiency.
We have a group of friends who travel for business together, the Group has an Hexa XE and two HEXA automatics, one XTA not sure of the other.
I've driven the XTA quiet often, and my experience shows that if you stick to 1500rpm which is 90kph as much as possible on highways and the efficiency exceeding 20 is possible. Drive as you please hard overtakes but speed not above 120 and you get about 18. These are all full to full efficiency reports.
Most people with their minuscule 1.3 Lit engines that rev up to extreme RPM's usually get the same efficiency al bight in cars half the weight.
Decent sized engines below 2000rpm is the key not undersized engines.

Rahul
Rahul Rao is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th June 2019, 23:59   #4797
BHPian

Guys as much impractical sunroof sounds ; my kids and wifey are egging me on . I have booked a XT and am told that sunroof is an accessory at about 96 K . I have owned safari dicor ; aria prestige 2x2 and safari storme in that order so I am quite confortable about tata ecosystem
What do u think are pros and cons for sunroof . Experts please comments
Old 8th June 2019, 07:35   #4798
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudhakarg View Post
I have booked a XT and am told that sunroof is an accessory at about 96 K . ... What do u think are pros and cons for sunroof . Experts please comments
Have you tried a TD of a vehicle with a sun-roof ? I think it may help. As for me, I would see - how often will I use it to justify the 96k difference.

Will you use it in the humid Mumbai weather ? Or the dust of Bangalore's roads ? And personally, I dont like the noise outside. I wouldnt keep it open even if my car came with one.
condor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th June 2019, 22:25   #4799
BHPian

Hi All,

I have pretty much finalised upon Hexa, but there is this niggling feeling as mentioned in this forum, that Tata might discontinue Hexa by year end, or when the BS6 norms come in to place next year. I really don't want to end up being stuck with a discontinued model that also only after 6-7 months of purchase.

This concern keeps me bringing me back to Innova, which IMHO I find way too expensive for what it is offering. I mean, we get top end XTA Hexa and a Mid-Range GX Innova at almost same price.

I'm being quoted 22.6 Lac On-Road Delhi price for Hexa XTA, considering the low sales, I was expecting more discount on it!

What are your thoughts guys, on both the mind-crackers?
sidharthg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2019, 08:28   #4800
BHPian

Indians are crazy about the Innova and after 10 years, you will still get a great resale on the vehicle. And since you know all about the TATA ecosystem, you would know if you are ok with dealing with it.

If you have the worry of Hexa being discontinued like the Aria, then go with Innova eyes closed. Both are good comfortable vehicles, so nothing that you would miss out there on either.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks