Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th July 2019, 17:54   #4891
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jubin View Post
i went through the thread apparently my car seems like a mixed bag,
it has the Hexa Branding on the clove box chiller, but doesn't have it on the chrome (also i couldn't find it anywhere on the thread about this particular embossing missing) on the threads.
the sunglass holder on drivers side is missing too despite the brochure having it.
Even am unable to find this. Strangely I remember reading it on this very forum. Maybe it was someone's review, but it was mentioned that this particular logo on the chrome strip has been removed as part of cost cutting along with many other features. Let us know what your contact in TATA has to say!
abhi7013 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2019, 09:58   #4892
BHPian

Re: Tata Hexa : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi7013 View Post
Shall try answering your questions one by one. 2.5 years back had decided to go with a manual and if given a choice rite now, I'd stick with the same, albeit with a bit of doubt in mind given the quality of the auto box in Hexa.

Hope you get the right variant as per your priority and needs and keep us updated!
Thanks a lot for detailed inputs. I was traveling and couldn't get back sooner. Primary use case for the car will be long road trips and travel with my family in comfort. Ride of XUV is very bad and, hence, the ride became a prime criterion. If I go for the manual, it has to be 4x4 and that will come with heavier steering. Advantage of 4x4 is that I don't need to think twice before heading to places like Spiti. Auto works awesome for the self-drive city and long trips as well. Let's see which one comes home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
Go for the Hexa AT.
I have test driven the Hexa AT and that AT box is smooth. For reference - I drive a DSG and ZF8 daily.
I have driven to Leh and even to the remote exterior places like Hanle in Tucson AWD MT. I don't recollect the AWD really being summoned anywhere much, but the hard clutch was a sour point through out the trip.
Even if the car is going to be driver driven most of the time, I would get the AT - a good "maalik" cares for his employees and driver's left knee is just as precious as mine. And chances of a driver riding hlaf-clutch are way more than a driver abusing an AT. So it's a win win.

Yes, good grippy tyres are more important than AWD, IMO. Of course, if one wants to drive up the ghata loop short cuts, then may be a proper 4WD with low ratio is required.
This is insightful. Even my XUV AWD has served me alright but I have not taken it too far off other than the regular hills fare. I am leaning towards auto for now for the performance it offers. Will consider switching the tyres. Definitely, I care for my driver and he will prefer Auto. Has been with me for 2+ years now.
5kmiles is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2019, 16:23   #4893
BHPian

Quote:
Shall try answering your questions one by one. 2.5 years back had decided to go with a manual and if given a choice rite now, I'd stick with the same, albeit with a bit of doubt in mind given the quality of the auto box in Hexa.
Thanks Abhi7013 for a very very clear description of the choice of MT over AT. My thoughts absolutely.

For city crawling traffic, an AT hatchback is way more preferable than an AT SUV (Hexa size) wherein driving thru narrow roads / lanes and getting a spot for parking are always going to be a challenge.

For highway driving, MT gives me more control over my car, i can feel the car in my hands and feet and is also easier to troubleshoot in case of any unforeseen emergencies.

For comfort i can always use cruise control if i want to give rest to my right leg. Further Hexa clutch is also very light (much much lighter than XUV 500) thereby giving much lesser stress on my left leg.

Importantly for me, XTA skips on some very very important safety features such as ESP with Roll Over Mitigation, HDC & TC which i have always found to be very very useful in my travels in the mountains. For me, SAFETY is more important than COMFORT.

Last edited by Eddy : 28th July 2019 at 16:44. Reason: Shortening the quote for better readability
SaurabhB is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th July 2019, 19:32   #4894
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaurabhB View Post

Importantly for me, XTA skips on some very very important safety features such as ESP with Roll Over Mitigation, HDC & TC which i have always found to be very very useful in my travels in the mountains. For me, SAFETY is more important than COMFORT.
That's the whole dilemma. :( I Don't want to skip the safety features and manual gets so much beating for its gearbox.

Carwale shows the following performance table for the manual and automatic comparison (please refer attached image). Seems inaccurate.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Hexa : Official Review-temp.jpg  

5kmiles is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th July 2019, 20:10   #4895
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5kmiles View Post
That's the whole dilemma. :( I Don't want to skip the safety features and manual gets so much beating for its gearbox.

Carwale shows the following performance table for the manual and automatic comparison (please refer attached image). Seems inaccurate.
For me these performance figures have no value. I am neither a car racing guy nor do I participate in car rallies. I am buying a vehicle for long distance travel, with my family n friends, to known and unknown destinations, where safety and comfort are my two important priorities.

I currently own and drive a XUV500 W11(O) MT and believe me it's quite fast. However I prefer building speed gradually. While I have done speeds up to 150 Kmph, but never in a hurry. I would happily give way to a Maruti 800 if it's in a hurry. Driving is a passion for me but in a safe way.

The above is my personal view only.
SaurabhB is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 30th July 2019, 10:13   #4896

I had a requirement for a seven-seater automatic. I had Ertiga Vxi 2016 model (manual) and served the purpose but driving it in Mumbai traffic was becoming a hassle, so wanted an automatic. After doing research for more than a year and having taken test drive for Innova 2.8 G AT and XUV500 500 W9 AT, I zeroed down to Hexa XMA. Decision to buy Hexa was greatly influenced by very good reviews in this forum and the test drive experience. While I was looking for XMA, I got a very good deal for Hexa XTA, Jan 2017 model with a odo of about 15,000 KM. The problem I am now facing is that car's pickup is very slow and it feels like it is low on power. I am required to push the accelerator pedal very hard to get adequate acceleration. Even if I drive for about 30 minutes, my right leg starts paining. I have visited service centre and they have told me there is no problem. I visited them again as issue was not solved and they did two things. One - Cleaned air filter and second - They sprayed some lubricant WT40 on the pedal. After that, I took my car for a ride and it felt problem was solved. I took my car for a long drive (100 Kms) and felt car has become very responsive and acceleration was adequate and didn’t feel any pain in the leg. But now gradually, things are becoming same it was 3 weeks back. When I had test driven Hexa XTA from the showroom before my purchase, car was very responsive but somehow in my car, I don’t feel the same. Can anyone suggest what could be wrong?
Zamir is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2019, 11:13   #4897
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zamir View Post
. One - Cleaned air filter and second - They sprayed some lubricant WT40 on the pedal. After that, I took my car for a ride and it felt problem was solved. I took my car for a long drive (100 Kms) and felt car has become very responsive and acceleration was adequate and didn’t feel any pain in the leg. But now gradually, things are becoming same it was 3 weeks back.
XTA is very responsive. Below are few things you may try :
1. Change air filter
2. Take it to TASS and tell them tightness in the pedal and how WD40 resolved it temporarily.
3. Try changing your seating position OR add an extra layer of floor mat
4. Ensure nothing is struck (may be floor mat) under A pedal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaurabhB View Post
For city crawling traffic, an AT hatchback is way more preferable than an AT SUV (Hexa size) wherein driving thru narrow roads / lanes and getting a spot for parking are always going to be a challenge.
AT is responsive enough on highways and we can perform any normal overtaking maneuver. If needed we can always shift left !.
However, if you drive less in city and drive long distance on empty highways, MT is the way to go.

Driving thru narrow roads / parking on tight spots is always an issue with large vehicles.

Last edited by prasanna_indaje : 30th July 2019 at 11:25.
prasanna_indaje is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2019, 13:22   #4898

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5kmiles View Post
Thanks a lot for detailed inputs. I was traveling and couldn't get back sooner. Primary use case for the car will be long road trips and travel with my family in comfort. Ride of XUV is very bad and, hence, the ride became a prime criterion. If I go for the manual, it has to be 4x4 and that will come with heavier steering. Advantage of 4x4 is that I don't need to think twice before heading to places like Spiti. Auto works awesome for the self-drive city and long trips as well. Let's see which one comes home.

Hi There,
I own a XUV 500 W7 Automatic. Went to Spiti last month with friends and family. Did all sorts of off-roading, even in slush and water flowing from the glaciers. XUV supported on all terrains and all road conditions, while a friend's Hexa got stuck multiple times. This is a thread related to Hexa, but I just wanted to put my point there since you mentioned about Spiti specifically.

Last edited by ampere : 30th July 2019 at 13:27. Reason: compacted quoted post
jalaj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2019, 13:44   #4899
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalaj View Post
Hi There,
I own a XUV 500 W7 Automatic. Went to Spiti last month with friends and family. Did all sorts of off-roading, even in slush and water flowing from the glaciers. XUV supported on all terrains and all road conditions, while a friend's Hexa got stuck multiple times. This is a thread related to Hexa, but I just wanted to put my point there since you mentioned about Spiti specifically.
Since Hexa was compared, let me give a different point of view.
At home, we have a steep incline with lot of gravel to climb. My friend's XUV W7 AT struggles every time (no matter who drives) to climb this incline. After 2 -3 attempts, we have to use the momentum to get thru (every time).
Whereas my Hexa XTA climbs the incline easily every time (even when he drives).

Last edited by prasanna_indaje : 30th July 2019 at 13:46.
prasanna_indaje is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th July 2019, 14:04   #4900
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi There,
I own a XUV 500 W7 Automatic. Went to Spiti last month with friends and family. Did all sorts of off-roading, even in slush and water flowing from the glaciers. XUV supported on all terrains and all road conditions, while a friend's Hexa got stuck multiple times.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prasanna_indaje View Post
My friend's XUV W7 AT struggles every time (no matter who drives) to climb this incline. After 2 -3 attempts, we have to use the momentum to get thru (every time).
Whereas my Hexa XTA climbs the incline easily every time (even when he drives).
XUV with it's front wheel drive nature has an advantage in slush and slippery conditions over a rear wheel drive Hexa . Since steering input goes to the driven wheels, you can rock the steering and get some traction. The engine's weight over driven wheels will also help it. Hexa will struggle in such conditions if it does not have much weight over the rear wheels.

Hexa has an advantage in steep slopes with gravel, because it is a rear wheel drive and in a steep slope all the weight will be on rear wheels. All FWDs will have a problem here. Solution is to reverse up the slope.

So RWD Hexa and FWD XUV will struggle in different conditions not suited for their designs.

Last edited by padmrajravi : 30th July 2019 at 14:18.
padmrajravi is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 30th July 2019, 14:49   #4901
BHPian

Quote:
This is a thread related to Hexa, but I just wanted to put my point there since you mentioned about Spiti specifically.
XUV off late has become too flimsy, build quality nowhere close to Hexa or any Tata car.
shivathedude is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2019, 18:51   #4902
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by padmrajravi View Post
So RWD Hexa and FWD XUV will struggle in different conditions not suited for their designs.
Yes. Hexa would fail to climb the same slope in reverse.
Basically it boils down to two things : Vehicle capability and the one who drives it.
prasanna_indaje is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 31st July 2019, 22:36   #4903
BMK

I find low beam pathetic in my ~2 yr old XE. At times feel driving blindfolded.

Recently replaced low beam halogen with LED 9000 lumen/36W, find hardly any improvement. Intensity on road is hardly anything and the beam is bit off even after beam alignment by professionals.
I see the following options now
1) go for 100w (with relay & take risk with remaining warranty )
Cheap, generally works better but not sure if projector design is bad giving no tangible improvement
One more thing bugging me is heat generated in narrow projector casing. Will it be able to withstand or plastics will melt?
Long term blackening or dulling is part of the deal with higher wattage so ok with that.
2) go for HiD kit - is it worth plonking 10+K? Not very convinced after my failed LED experience. What if the projector design is no good?

Any one here have tried any of the above 2 options with hexa in particular? Your experience will help.

Ps: i have searched thru this thread and the dedicated lighting thread, but could not find anyone having tried and succeed with a solution. Have seen many complaining though
Old 1st August 2019, 10:02   #4904

I agree with you on the light throw for low beam, it is very weak. Based on the experiences shared in Hexa Owners groups, many of them upgraded to HIDs (varying from 4500 to 6000 lumens) in low beam and majority are pretty satisfied with the experience in terms of light. At the same time most of them are experiencing Canbus errors and soft resets in the MIDs. Need to do a bit of research on choosing the right set of canbus compatible HIDs and ballasts with error cancellers.

It is worth upgrading if you do a lot of night driving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMK View Post
I find low beam pathetic in my ~2 yr old XE. At times feel driving blindfolded.
The above observations are mostly from the XTA owners.

Cheers,
Lone_wanderer
lone_wanderer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2019, 14:35   #4905
BHPian

Quote:
but it was mentioned that this particular logo on the chrome strip has been removed as part of cost cutting along with many other features. Let us know what your contact in TATA has to say!
I do not understand how much could be the savings here removing the logo.
Is this part a plastic or a metal part. In any case such embossing are generally out of a molding tool (for plastic) or stamping tool (for metal). Once this logo element are integrated in the tool, there is no additional cost to it unless there is a frequent wear and tear on the feature that is used for embossing.

However for plating the part, the surface area could marginally increase due to this embossed logo and increase the chrome plating volume. May be this cost is higher?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks