Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 17th August 2019, 16:19   #4936
BHPian

Re: Tata Hexa : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMK View Post
I find low beam pathetic in my ~2 yr old XE. At times feel driving blindfolded.

Hello, I tried both HID & LED on both low beam high beam lamps but the improvement is marginal.

Above all there is an error on the MID saying "Position Lamp Error".
Plus, the whole speedo unit restarts once you turn ON the headlamps, which resets the average meter and trip A & B.
The yellow bulbs are of no use on long road-trips, and even on city roads it's hardly visible.
I am considering a light bar or an aux lamp.

Last edited by aah78 : 29th August 2019 at 22:54. Reason: Quote trimmed. Post fixed - spacing, readability. Please use spell-check before posting. Thanks!
jubin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2019, 23:57   #4937
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
Its an understandable move. On or road conditions and for a heavy car like the Hexa, 19 inch was a bit of an overkill. 17" makes practical sense. But Tata should have somehow managed to do that by also showing a nominal price reduction instead of increase.
And preferably a smarter design rather than the dated-looking replacement for the hot wheels it had earlier.

Last edited by aah78 : 29th August 2019 at 22:51. Reason: Quote trimmed.
Old 22nd August 2019, 21:11   #4938
BHPian

I need suggestion on below with respect to HEXA XTA.

1. Does HEXA XTA fog lamps have cornering function?
2. Whats the best way to darken the excessive chrome, wrapping them or painting them?
3. How to darken the 19" Inch Alloys?

Thanks

Manish
Old 23rd August 2019, 13:27   #4939
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by studedude View Post
This is exactly the problem with us. A Hexa with a Toyota badge would have been a runaway success. Just because it's a Tata you want a cut in the price. Its better than the Crysta(read my post a few pages back) and still costs a good 5 lakh less.
You are hundred percent correct. It's a terrific car at a far lesser price. People have not able been to recognise it's value for money proposition just because it has a tata badge.
lovesujay is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2019, 13:38   #4940
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaNishi View Post
I need suggestion on below with respect to HEXA XTA.

At least the variant list / brouchure doesn't mention so. Probably not then.

Quote:
2. Whats the best way to darken the excessive chrome, wrapping them or painting them?
Wrap always better. Paint on that surface generally chips, doesn't last long & finish isn't as easily achieved as wrap.

Quote:
Are you looking to buy a new Hexa or already have one with the 19" wheels? If looking to buy - the problem doesn't exist. It comes with 17" charcoal wheels now. 19" are gone last week. You'll get them only if you pick existing stock. If you have / get those - then getting them sprayed on from a pro is the only way. But they look quite good IMO. Keep them in OEM look. Unless of course your darker wheels and wrap job match well.

Last edited by Reinhard : 23rd August 2019 at 13:39.
Reinhard is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th August 2019, 12:24   #4941
BHPian

Quote:
1. No. It's Fog + DRL combo
2. 3M Wrap
3. XTA / XT come with greyed out 17 inch alloys now. 19 inch alloys are not available by default.

Last edited by prasanna_indaje : 25th August 2019 at 12:27.
prasanna_indaje is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th August 2019, 13:56   #4942
BHPian

Finally my brother brought home the Tata Hexa XT 4x2 Tungsten Silver + Black dual tone on 12th Aug. He is simply loving it.

Now we have both XUV 500 W11 (O) (owned by me) and the Hexa XT 4x2 in the family. I have driven the Hexa for nearly 100 Kms (not much) but can straight away infer that Hexa is superior to XUV in the below areas ...

1. Ride comfort,
2. Suspension set-up ... simply glides over bad roads,
3. Seat comfort,
4. Overall build feels very strong and rugged,
5. Well put together with no rattles, no vibrations, no jarring sound on rough roads,
6. Super light clutch,
7. Plastic quality,
8. Dashboard design,
9. Middle row AC floor console,
10. Middle row sliding liberates space for 3rd row,
11. More space in the boot,
12. Music output etc.

Where the XUV betters the Hexa are ...
1. Engine pick-up of XUV is very linear with no lag at all,
2. Creature comfort features (start/stop button, sun roof, electric seat adjustment, mild hybrid system, TPMS, dead pedal, cornering lights, lower turning radius, higher fuel tank capacity etc.).
3. Smooth & effortless gear shifts (Hexa's 2nd gear is very tight),
4. Middle row space,
5. Rear camera - quality & guidelines,
6. Auto folding ORVM's on lock/unlock etc.

I have driven the XUV over 11,000 Kms in the past 12 months and that too mostly on long distance drives in mountains and hence can vouch that it is a very very competent vehicle but let down by few irritants such as rattles, vibrations, harsh ride, hard seats, hard clutch etc.

I shall try to put in a more detailed comparision between the two beasts once i am able to ride the Hexa for at least 1000 Kms.
SaurabhB is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 26th August 2019, 09:08   #4943
BHPian

I need some help from the existing owners of the Hexa with the 19" rims.
I have been eyeing the Hexa for a while now and I am almost on the verge of finalizing on the XTA. Apparently Concorde motors in Pune says that the 19" rims have been phased out across all models including the XTA and he has only two cars in stock with these rims. All new cars from the factory come with the 17" rims. The 19" rims add so much character to the car and I don't think the 17" rims do justice to the size of the vehicle. However, since MRF only makes this tire size for the Hexa and with Tata phasing it out, would tire availability be an issue say 3 years from now? The last thing I would want would be to downsize to 17" rims 3 years from now because the tires are not available.
Any suggestions on what I should do? Get it with the 17" rims right now or take a risk with the 19" rims and deal with the problem if it arises 3 years from now.
Old 26th August 2019, 10:07   #4944
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yd_gli View Post
I don't own a Hexa (yet), but...

Quote:
Concorde motors in Pune says that the 19" rims have been phased out across all models including the XTA and he has only two cars in stock with these rims....However, since MRF only makes this tire size for the Hexa and with Tata phasing it out, would tire availability be an issue say 3 years from now? The last thing I would want would be to downsize to 17" rims 3 years from now because the tires are not available.
Any suggestions on what I should do?
Those 19" tyres shouldn't become like a rich $1000 note wad in a hypothetical zombie apocalyptic world. What would help you is to find out which other automobiles (including commercial vehicles) use the same spec tyres. If you find some other examples where the same tyres are fitted, you should be good. If there are no other vehicles using the same spec tyres, then IMO you should do something about it rightaway.

My perspective as a TUV 300 owner - we TUV 300 owners find that a lot of our spare tyres get stolen and that many of us (in TUV 300 WhatsApp groups) are able to trade in our used tyres for new ones. These are made possible due to a network of high users for the same spec tyres; even the Force Traveler uses the same spec tyres (refer to this link: https://www.forcemotors.com/vehicle/traveller-3350). Normally, when one tries to trade in used hatchback/sedan tyres, we don't get anything for it, but that's not the case with us. And - we have to lock our spare tyres to keep thieves at bay. So in a sense, we are the exact opposite end of this tyre conundrum that you face.

Do let us know what you find.
Old 26th August 2019, 10:23   #4945
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yd_gli View Post
Any suggestions on what I should do? Get it with the 17" rims right now or take a risk with the 19" rims and deal with the problem if it arises 3 years from now.

I don't own a Hexa with 19 inch rims. But from our telegram group, I know that Momo also makes 19 inch tyres for Hexa. One of our Thor group members is an authorized reseller and sells them with a 2 year warranty. So you don't have to worry about lack of options. There is no question that the 19 inch rims add a lot of personality to Hexa.

But the 17s give you peace of mind and the confidence to let the elephant free on places with worst of roads. Hexa's magic works better when you gun it through bad roads with speed and not when you are babying it worrying about punctures.

Last edited by padmrajravi : 26th August 2019 at 10:28.
padmrajravi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2019, 11:22   #4946
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaurabhB View Post

Where the XUV betters the Hexa are ...
1. Engine pick-up of XUV is very linear with no lag at all,
2. Creature comfort features (start/stop button, sun roof, electric seat adjustment, mild hybrid system, TPMS, dead pedal, cornering lights, lower turning radius, higher fuel tank capacity etc.).
3. Smooth & effortless gear shifts (Hexa's 2nd gear is very tight),
4. Middle row space,
5. Rear camera - quality & guidelines,
6. Auto folding ORVM's on lock/unlock etc.
These attractive features on the XUV had made things difficult for us while choosing the Hexa. Even now i wish there was a good infotainment UI on the car as the small screen seems outdated. But they have increased the size and quality in the newer models so that should sort things out.

Regarding point 6, you can get the auto folding feature for the ORVMs by selecting the respective options in the BCM. Any TASS can assist you with that.
abhi7013 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th August 2019, 12:44   #4947

Hi all, I recently picked up XTA. I find the rear doors get soiled with slush very easily. Not sure if this is a design issue. Can anyone suggest accessory if any, to solve this issue. You just doing want to look at the lower half of the rear doors after driving through rain/wet road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by padmrajravi View Post
I don't own a Hexa with 19 inch rims. But from our telegram group, I know that Momo also makes 19 inch tyres for Hexa. One of our Thor group members is an authorized reseller and sells them with a 2 year warranty. So you don't have to worry about lack of options. There is no question that the 19 inch rims add a lot of personality to Hexa.

But the 17s give you peace of mind and the confidence to let the elephant free on places with worst of roads. Hexa's magic works better when you gun it through bad roads with speed and not when you are babying it worrying about punctures.
My take, pls go with 19 inch. They look great and have hardly reported any trouble except for a slightly higher replacement cost. Did check online for tires and you do get them. Downgrade can be an option at a later stage if needed. But dont see happening in next 3-4yrs. Hexa comes with 16inch spare wheel.

Last edited by Aditya : 27th August 2019 at 09:23. Reason: Back to back posts merged
Old 26th August 2019, 20:55   #4948
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by locusjag View Post
I don't own a Hexa (yet), but...

Do let us know what you find.
Quote:
Originally Posted by padmrajravi View Post
I don't own a Hexa with 19 inch rims. But from our telegram group, I know that Momo also makes 19 inch tyres for Hexa.

Thanks for the advice guys. I think I'll stick with the 19s if the dealer and TML can get their act together. One dealer only has one in stock, the color of which I am not sure about. The other dealer says he doesn't have any but can order one from the factory.

The funny thing here is that both dealers know that there are XTAs in stock at the factory but neither do they know what rims they have nor are they able to find out. I can't for the life of me imagine what kind of inventory management system TML is running that a dealer cannot tell the specs of a car he is going to order for a customer. I think I'll drive down to the Pimpri plant and call of some my old TML ERC contacts to have a look at their stock personally. Tata never seizes to humor me. They have singlehandedly driven the Hexa into the ground with their inept dealer and marketing departments. Not a single dealer in Pune has the car available for a test drive. One dealer even asked me to go to a competitor for a test drive. And this dealer is walking distance from the Pimpri plant.

Last edited by yd_gli : 26th August 2019 at 21:12.
yd_gli is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th August 2019, 03:35   #4949
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick' View Post
Hi all, I recently picked up XTA. I find the rear doors get soiled with slush very easily. Not sure if this is a design issue. Can anyone suggest accessory if any, to solve this issue. You just doing want to look at the lower half of the rear doors after driving through rain/wet road.
There is no official accessory for this, however if you are part of THOR on telegram, there is a manufacturer in the group who sells the cladding specifically for this purpose, a lot of HEXA owners seem to be content with it.
doxinboy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th August 2019, 08:47   #4950

Quote:
Originally Posted by doxinboy View Post
There is no official accessory for this, however if you are part of THOR on telegram, there is a manufacturer in the group who sells the cladding specifically for this purpose, a lot of HEXA owners seem to be content with it.
Thanks for input. Unfortunately not part of THOR. Can you help me with details of manufacturer in case you have. Help from others on this will be highly appreciated.

Most Viewed