Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th November 2019, 14:56   #5146
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Tata Hexa : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post

Continuing the 2.2 DiCOR block for BSVI makes me suspect that the engine will actually become a commercial vehicle workhorse rather than a passenger vehicle power unit.[/b]!
Tata Winger Vans have a 2.2 L engine with Dicor badging these days! I think its okay for the engine to live on in a commercial vehicle , parts availability is assured that way.
Kosfactor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th November 2019, 15:18   #5147
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram87pune View Post
my sources tell me that the Hexa is one of the highest contributors to TML profit wise.
If Hexa is so profitable, imagine how much Toyota must be making with Innova, which sells 4000/month and is also very expensive.
pseudo_coder is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th November 2019, 15:48   #5148
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octy17 View Post
Great news.
Slightly off-topic, can we expect to see the Safari updated to BS 6 as well beyond April 2020?
No. The Safari is doomed, for now. But my sources tell me that buoyed by the success of the Scorpio and also how people still want the Safari to continue, TML management is thinking of launching a butch SUV on the lines of the Safari. But it's still on the drawing board and also they have yet not finalized as to which platform it will be based upon I.e. Harrier or Hexa. But regarding its launch timeline, its anybody's guess.
ram87pune is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th November 2019, 15:56   #5149
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
buoyed by the success of the Scorpio and also how people still want the Safari to continue
That made me
It took 15 years for these guys to be "buoyed"? Why, they didn't see enough Scorpios every 200 mtrs of the road till now? My salute really. Anyway, good if the Safari name-plate lives on. Something aspirational to look up to as a next car years later!
Reinhard is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th November 2019, 16:00   #5150
BHPian

Did a small 1500 kms trip to Tirupathi for my son's first birthday. Flawless performance as usual. The thing with this car is you can do a lot at your destination even after a 10 hour travel. Didn't go beyond 100 kmph the whole trip and got a mileage of 15. Need to give it for the 40k service in a few days. A few pics.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Hexa : Official Review-img_20191027_150302.jpg  

Tata Hexa : Official Review-20190730_161526.jpg  

Tata Hexa : Official Review-20190730_161536.jpg  

Tata Hexa : Official Review-20190730_161711.jpg  

Tata Hexa : Official Review-20190730_161721.jpg  

Tata Hexa : Official Review-20190730_161728.jpg  

Tata Hexa : Official Review-20190730_161750.jpg  

Tata Hexa : Official Review-20190729_195327.jpg  

Tata Hexa : Official Review-img_20191027_194246.jpg  

Tata Hexa : Official Review-img_20191027_194528.jpg  

Tata Hexa : Official Review-img_20191027_194706.jpg  

Tata Hexa : Official Review-img_20191027_211532.jpg  

Tata Hexa : Official Review-20190819_133449.jpg  

krishnakarthik1 is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 4th November 2019, 16:15   #5151
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Continuing the 2.2 DiCOR block for BSVI makes me suspect that the engine will actually become a commercial vehicle workhorse rather than a passenger vehicle power unit. BSVI norms for CVs will probably be less stringent (purely guessing) compared to PVs & may mean cheaper conversion to BSVI.

So MJD2.0 as primary PV engine & Varicor2.2 for small/medium utility vehicles perhaps. Perhaps we'll see a 2.2 Varicor powered 407 Deluxe!
On the contrary. My sources tell me that Tata has burned its fingers badly by going for the 2.0 MJD both technically and financially. Technically because they have to knock on Fiats door for making any small change to the engine. Fiat is working hamfisted and milking TML to the fullest.
During initial testing of this engine in the Harrier there were a lot of issues like NVH, clutch burnout etc.

On the other hand the 2.2 Varicor engine is full proof in the sense that it has been tested for millions of kms and has no major issues as such. The only reason Tata went for MJD was because it was readily available transverse engine and also Tata has partnership with Fiat for production at the Ranjangaon facility. Now TML management is seriously thinking about fitting the 2.2 Varicor in the Omega platform and terminate the contract with Fiat for good.

Quote:
That made me
It took 15 years for these guys to be "buoyed"? Why, they didn't see enough Scorpios every 200 mtrs of the road till now? My salute really. Anyway, good if the Safari name-plate lives on. Something aspirational to look up to as a next car years later!
Haha good one. I meant to say that since Mahindra is continuing with the Scorpio platform post BS6, that's why Tata is also thinking about reintroducing the Safari nameplate.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 4th November 2019 at 19:06. Reason: back to back posts merged
ram87pune is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 4th November 2019, 16:20   #5152
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Now TML management is seriously thinking about fitting the 2.2 Varicor in the Omega platform and terminate the contract with Fiat for good.
Amen to that. I have never understood the logic & was totally disappointed to see the MJD power Harrier. Not because its a bad engine. But because one of the 2 better Indian engine makers (Other being M&M) simply did not invest at the right time to work on a modern 2.0L CR diesel powerplant. M&M has a 2.0 mHAWK readily waiting in the wings come the date since years now! Why did Tata not think it was needed much earlier I wonder.

Especially painful considering they did manage to make a gem of a 1.1 & 1.5 L Revotorq!

The DiCOR/VARICOR sure are good. But with their limitations & age. The engine has a very limited power band & loses steam quite quickly as the revs climb. mHAWK on the contrary revs much more freely. An all new 2.0 taking care of all these aspects would have been an ace up the sleeve.
Reinhard is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th November 2019, 18:23   #5153
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smsrini View Post
While they're at it, can they please tweak the design a bit to make it more SUV-ish. get rid of the sloping kink in the roofline, rework the fenders/hood to give it a more upright stance, and a flat windscreen. Thank you.
In short, come up with a new product.
Old 4th November 2019, 18:47   #5154
BHPian

Sorry for going out of topic.

Quote:
TML management is seriously thinking about fitting the 2.2 Varicor in the Omega platform and terminate the contract with Fiat for good.

one doubt, can the Omega platform accommodate longitudinal engine?
Old 4th November 2019, 18:59   #5155
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvindmanju View Post
Sorry for going out of topic.

one doubt, can the Omega platform accommodate longitudinal engine?
It cannot as of now. It needs some reengineering to be done. But my sources tell me that now they are thinking that had they done this exercise in the first place, they would have launched the Harrier way before time with an automatic from the Hexa and maybe with 4WD also from day 1. And most importantly the Harrier would have been a better baked product than what it was when it was launched earlier this year

Last edited by ram87pune : 4th November 2019 at 19:04.
ram87pune is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th November 2019, 20:37   #5156
BHPian

Did PDI check for my Hexa XM+ at the stockyard today in Moshi, Pune. Confirmed with the Tata representative, Hexa is manufactured at the Ranjangaon plant in Maharashtra.

Following were my observations during PDI:
1. I had requested TATA Service advisor to allot the latest possible car. As per VIN, manufacturing is Sept 2019.
2. Took a complete walk-around and examined the exterior of the car. Looks great from all angles. No scratches/dents observed.
3. Opened Bonnet, checked the engine bay. All fluid levels were fine. Battery fitted is Amaron.
4. Inspected the interiors of the car. Everything was squeaky clean. Seats had plastic covers with fitment details and seat manufacturing information.
5. 7 inch touchscreen gets Android Auto and Reverse camera. Touch response was smooth and camera resolution was decent.
6. Examined the Odometer reading, it was 25 Kms. Seems great!
7. Turned the ignition ON, checked the AC throw, ACC worked perfectly. Power windows worked correctly for all doors.
8. Checked the headlights, taillights, DRL's, Fog lamps, wipers, all working correctly.
9. Examined the tyres. This model comes shod with Bridgestones Duelers H/T tyres. (235/70 R16). Confirmed manufacturing year of 2019.
10. Checked the toolkit and spare tyre, all correctly in place.

After about 45 minutes of thorough check, thanked the SA and left the yard location. Waiting for delivery by next week. Attaching some pictures of the beast.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Hexa : Official Review-img_20191103_115029.jpg  

Tata Hexa : Official Review-img_20191103_115035.jpg  

Tata Hexa : Official Review-img_20191103_115050.jpg  

Tata Hexa : Official Review-img_20191103_115130.jpg  

Tata Hexa : Official Review-img_20191103_115136.jpg  

Tata Hexa : Official Review-img20191103wa0004.jpg  

Tata Hexa : Official Review-img_20191104_130841-large.jpg  

Satshan is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 4th November 2019, 20:45   #5157
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satshan View Post
Did PDI check for my Hexa XM+ at the stockyard today in Moshi, Pune. Confirmed with the Tata representative, Hexa is manufactured at the Ranjangaon plant in Maharashtra.
Congrats and welcome to the club. By the way Hexa is manufactured at TML Pimpri plant and not at Ranjangaon. And don't forget to buy the extended warranty.
ram87pune is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th November 2019, 09:35   #5158
BANNED

It is definitely welcome news that Hexa gets to live in the upcoming BS6 era but at the same time is there any news on what's in store to meet the crash test norms? I thought the whole point of Alpha and Omega monocoque platforms was to make lighter and stiffer cars that are more efficient and also perform better in the event of a collision.

Having said that I am confident that Tata will sort out the technical stuff be it emissions or crash safety but what I'm worried about is how they have failed in the past to make the vehicle more desirable for a buyer in that segment. Having a entry level variant with only white (I understand it's available in A.Blue as well but I was told by one of my sources that there is a story behind it) with black door handles and mirrors, bare bones XM variant with features that have nothing to write home about, lack of ESP on the XTA, constant feature deletions and poor marketing to name a few.
Old 5th November 2019, 09:43   #5159
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satshan View Post
Congratulations! Lovely colour. Good to see that the dedicated parking sensor button is retained in the HEXA XM+'s console. The XM+ indeed is the most VFM package on the Hexa now unless one want that cool TC autobox.

The last I remember, Hexa was made at the good old TML PCMC plant besides the Storme (like the Aria was), Zest, Sumo. The Nexon is built at Ranjangaon besides the Compass. Tiago/Tigor I think come from the Gujrath plant that originally started with Nano at Sanand.

EDIT - PS: In the penultimate picture in the ones you posted - from exactly behind the car; the chrome rear applique seems to be slightly bent/deformed on the RHS. The reflection on it is quite mangled compared to the one on LHS. Do check that out please. If its negligible and only visible in such camera photos, its fine to live with. But if its visible even to the naked eye from any angle, do get it reported, noted & replaced at 1st service if possible.

Tata Hexa : Official Review-hexa.jpg

Last edited by Reinhard : 5th November 2019 at 09:54.
Reinhard is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th November 2019, 09:51   #5160
Senior - BHPian

Its raining Hexas again. Like in the days when Hexa was launched. Exiting times ahead, now that it is clear Hexa lives to see the BS6 era.

On another note, I am getting jealous of that new touchscreen HU. Any chance we can have that new HU fitted in our 2017 and 18 cars? Tigor and Tiago JTP used to come with the same archaic ICE that Hexa had when it was launched. JTP owners are now able to fit the new ICE based on a paid upgrade. There is an ownership report here where a JTP owner managed to get the ICE changed at dealer level to the new ICE. So shouldn't it be possible for Hexa as well, considering they both had the same stock HU ? Or is there anything else at play ?

Last edited by padmrajravi : 5th November 2019 at 09:57.
padmrajravi is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks