Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th May 2020, 20:39   #5701
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Tata Hexa : Official Review

My 2 cents while slightly off topic.

Its obvious that some brand loyalists will feel that 1 car's problems being highlighted is not the true reflection on a particular brand's / models overall product quality. Quite natural. And the point that "all brands make a lemon" is also natural & valid from that perspective. But it doesn't wipe out the existence of a lemon with the customer either.

A simple point I'd like to make is - nobody can have the exact perspective as that of a person who has spent 20 big ones and then landed a lemon. I would have had similar feelings & feedback about the car in question and the brand as well had I been through what TROOPER had to go through - even if this was an experience with my 5 Lakh OTR ALTO. Simple as that. When one pays up, he or she is entitled to be angered if the product doesn't deliver. Be it Tata of Bentley. The onus then immediately lies on the brand to ensure that the resolution, communication & fix is so good that the customer then leaves happily and has something positive to write as well.

So those of us who haven't faced such a problem after buying a new car, are not actually equipped to know the pain that TROOPER has had to face.

Last edited by Aditya : 11th May 2020 at 13:23. Reason: Quoted text deleted
Reinhard is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 9th May 2020, 20:50   #5702
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
My 2 cents while slightly off topic.
I can understand that some BHPians feel I have posted this issue out of some kind of spite or anger towards Tata, because of my earlier experience. Let me be honest, that's not the case.

My 1st comment, which I regret making now, was made assuming fellow owners here are aware of this engine head saga. Then some questions and accusations were hurled, and today I posted the results of whatever transpired in our owners group. I posted, with clear mention that it was to make fellow owners aware. That's it.

Last edited by Aditya : 11th May 2020 at 13:25. Reason: Quoted text and response deleted
TROOPER is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th May 2020, 21:48   #5703
Distinguished - BHPian

BHPian Trooper is an owner and is reporting 11-12 cases of engine head changes, while this may not be an engineering design issue ,it may very well be an error during assembly.
I think it's fair to provide a warning to potential owners, that is the whole point of this place.

Unless I know the owner and how meticulously a vehicle has been maintained , there is no way I'm buying a vehicle that has run 100k. I can think of, clutch, flywheel, tires, timing belt (chain lasts longer), suspension bits, brake rotors - most of these things needs to be replaced.
Kosfactor is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 9th May 2020, 21:48   #5704
BHPian

Here's a link which you may have missed, from a real Hexa. Unless you expect me to post 14 videos.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1wrK...usp=drive_open

I have posted everything I could. I rest my case.

Last edited by Aditya : 11th May 2020 at 13:45. Reason: Quoted post removed. Response edited as standalone comment. Toning down
TROOPER is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th May 2020, 01:54   #5705
Team-BHP Support

Note from Support:

Folks, please keep it civil.

Presence/absence of issues on individual cars (or particular batches) does not necessitate generalizing an entire model line one way or another.

Please support your arguments (including knowledge/awareness of potential widespread issues) with relevant evidence, and avoid being dismissive of others' opinions.

Some posts have been edited/removed to maintain forum standards. If you find something offensive or objectionable, please use the 'report post' option to draw moderators' attention, NOT respond in kind.

Any further personal arguments will lead to moderator action.

Thanks!

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 10th May 2020 at 01:55.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 10th May 2020, 10:01   #5706
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TD_GHY View Post
I am getting a Hexa XT 4X2, February 2017 model at 9.5 lakhs that has done about 1 lakh kms. It is a single handed driven vehicle that has recently been sold to a used car dealer. Is it a reasonable price for the vehicle, considering that it has already done 1 lakh kms in a span of 3 years, approx 100kms per day on average. How much of a service or maintenance cost am I looking at, if I intend to keep it for 4 years and about 40-50k kms. Thank you.
Look, I sold my 2017 Hexa Xta for 12 lakhs (telengana registered), but it was in mint condition and had done only about 27000 kms. Now a Hexa XT of the same vintage running a lakh kms in the hills, the asking price may be reduced to about 9 lakh if everything is fine with the car.
AirbusCapt is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th May 2020, 16:22   #5707
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Hi!

Greetings from a proud TATA Hexa owner.

I would like to highlight a commonly faced problem in the Tata Hexa 2.2L Varicor engine. It is a typical external leak mark on the 1st exhaust port of the head & exhaust manifold in many Tata Hexas/Safaris. The Leak is through the exhaust manifold gasket.
Tata Hexa : Official Review-pic1.jpg

In many cars the engine head has been eventually replaced with a new one to resolve the problem. My car has been through the ordeal of head replacement. It started with tightening the manifold, then gasket change and finally the head. I have discussed this for a year now with many Hexa owners and Safari owners, in many forums & with the service team at TASS. But no one has got a clear & confirmed answer to what the root cause is. This topic has been raised by my friend Trooper & discussed on Team-BHP.

I've listed below a few unanswered questions and some suggestions with attached pictures:

1. Is it an engine oil leak or unburnt diesel vapor/condensate leak? This is how the leak begins in early stages.
https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=qf1J...ature=Youtu.be

2. Why does the seepage happen only in/around that 1st exhaust port?

3. Why is the wall thickness/dimension of SS gasket and exhaust manifold casting so less in the leak zone of the 1st port, compared to the 4th port?
Tata Hexa : Official Review-pic2.jpg

4. Why does the head (aluminum alloy casting) have a similar weak sealing profile near the 1st port?
Tata Hexa : Official Review-pic3.jpg

5. Is there any inherent defect in particular lots of castings of the head block which is causing this leak? Say like punctured oil ports due to threaded holes of clamping stud or warped casting, etc.

6. If some corrections have been done already to prevent this leak mark, then what was the improvement done?
Thanks to Ravindran R for sending these images and information in. Heartfelt gratitude for sharing them with other enthusiasts via this Team-BHP page!

Last edited by Aditya : 12th May 2020 at 07:07. Reason: As requested
Aditya is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 11th May 2020, 16:33   #5708
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
Thanks to Ravindran R for sending these images and information in. Heartfelt gratitude for sharing them with other enthusiasts via this Team-BHP page!
As it looks from your superb pictures, the manifold has very little metal towards the edge when compared to the last port, this perhaps maybe the root cause of the leak.
The proposed "yellow line" in your last picture allows much more metal support towards the edge, which means much better sealing of the manifold gasket to the parent head. This could perhaps why TaMo are replacing heads with more metal at the edges.
shramik is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th May 2020, 08:53   #5709
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shramik View Post
This could perhaps why TaMo are replacing heads with more metal at the edges.
The mods are suggested by Mr.Ravindran.

The engine head in the above picture is the new one installed in his car. It is same as the one it has been replaced with.
TROOPER is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2020, 16:32   #5710
BHPian

Water wash 'gift' to my humble steed which roared across empty roads for more than 50 days delivering essentials during lock-down.

Odo at 49k right now which incidentally is the highest I have ever seen on any of my cars. Roughly after a year and half, around 45K the itch to change starts and I end up upgrading and losing a lot of money. But what do I upgrade to after using this? Carnival or Fortuner? Maybe I will do a marathon this time with hexa.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Hexa : Official Review-img_20200522_151250.jpg  

Tata Hexa : Official Review-img_20200522_151303.jpg  

Tata Hexa : Official Review-img_20200522_151320.jpg  

Tata Hexa : Official Review-img_20200522_151914.jpg  

Tata Hexa : Official Review-img_20200522_154909.jpg  

Tata Hexa : Official Review-img_20200522_154924.jpg  

Tata Hexa : Official Review-img_20200522_155003.jpg  

krishnakarthik1 is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 25th May 2020, 00:28   #5711
BHPian

I wasn't sure whether to post this query on the Storme V400 thread or this one but since they're related I'd posted it here.

Is it possible to fit the gear lever knob of the Hexa XT, on the V-400 Storme!? I'd imagine it is but wasn't sure as I recalled reading some where that the knob has certain weight element added to it, to absorb certain vibrations; is this true!?

Have always liked the Hexa's knob for it's classier look, than the cheap looking one on Storme.
Old 25th May 2020, 20:50   #5712
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avinash_m View Post

Is it possible to fit the gear lever knob of the Hexa XT, on the V-400 Storme!?
I guess you could go ahead with it.

The Hexa's gear knob is styled on the older Storme's knob as mentioned on post #8 on this thread.

Here's a pic of the knob from older Storme

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/iipcache/157740.jpg

A link to the catalogue

https://boodmo.com/catalog/4156-gear...171-tata-hexa/
TROOPER is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th May 2020, 21:12   #5713
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TROOPER View Post
I guess you could go ahead with it.
Thanks @TROOPER, and for the useful links! In fact I took a chance and already put in an order at boodmo. However, would have to wait until 2nd week of Jun for delivery, they informed the part's not available and is being sourced suitably.

Will revert with pics if this experiment works!
avinash_m is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2020, 23:42   #5714
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avinash_m View Post
In fact I took a chance and already put in an order at boodmo.
The gear knob was delivered today. I was a bit surprised when the delivery guy handed it over, almost dropped it as I didnt anticipate the weight of it! Seems a good 300-400gms piece and quite well finished. Also, kind of addresses that 'weight' query I'd earlier. Good thing is, it is almost fresh out of the oven.
Does anyone know if it is just a screw on type or needs any specific tools to install as diy!?
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Hexa : Official Review-img_20200611_164811.jpg  

Tata Hexa : Official Review-img_20200611_164924.jpg  

avinash_m is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2020, 14:58   #5715
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jubin View Post
So,

took the decision to get rid of the 2015 (Nov) Scorpio S10 and upgraded myself to a Hexa XMA.
while just shy of 19 lakhs its a little steep but it is definitely miles ahead of competition in terms of features, fit and finish and the overall value.

things i miss :
- Fogs Lamps (c'mon on a 19 lakh car the XTA type fog lamps are an added accessory for 15K, that is too steeply priced IMHO)
- Alloys (16" ones are 40K and the beautiful 19" are for 1.2 lakhs)
- Woofer (the XTA has a superb 10 speaker deep bass JBL ICE but XMA only get a 8 speaker setup - plus there is not possibility of an upgrade)

- Cruise control, automatic headlamps and wipers are not much of a deal breaker for me.

Things i like:
- Automatic Gearbox is next level !
- Suspension is planted, plush and irons out mumbai craters pretty easily.
- space, space, space !

So, almost a year and close to 24K on the odo, i've loved every bit of the Hexa XMA Ownership, i had to limit my expectations in terms of performance since i come from a Mahindra Scorpio which in my eyes is a mountain goat, and the Hexa seems to be a rather heavy and huge beast.

It is returning a steady handsome FE of 15-17 KMPL which included spirited highway runs and daily office commute in the cumbersome Mumbai traffic.

things i miss are the "Alloy Wheels" been aching to get a good design for it but TATAs limited options and distasteful aftermarket ones left me wanting for more. only a few days back i saw a 2020 Harrier on the road and the alloy wheel design struck with me.
called up the Service guys at Tata who told me yes the Harrier and Hexa wheel size etc is the same. my mind went haywire and i am thinking of taking this step.

Also tried my luck with the Headlamp bulb upgrade but it shows some kinda error on the Diagnostics so didn't want to live with a constant reminder in the MID so switched back to factory bulbs, any one has any luck with a headlamp upgrade?
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Hexa : Official Review-20200614_205106.jpg  

Tata Hexa : Official Review-hexa_harrier.jpg  

jubin is offline   (9) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks